Sports Talk Radio - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

On the whole, sports talk uninteresting at best and unlistenable at worst. People commenting on things they don't know much about and yet never held accountable for all their wrong projections.

I can't wait for the NFL Draft to be over. It's incredible the amount of time spent on it.

And it amazes me the popularity of pro football. Your favorite team plays, now with 17 games, only 4.5% of the year, that's game day. Meanwhile in a sport like baseball, the days your team plays per year is 44%. There is so little "game time" in football, yet shows spend so much time talking about it? It truly baffles me.

Not completely a sports guy, but Mike Trivisonno has died at 74. He held down the afternoon drive slot on WTAM in Cleveland since 1996.

Not completely a sports guy, but Mike Trivisonno has died at 74. He held down the afternoon drive slot on WTAM in Cleveland since 1996.
Started as "Mr. Know It All" on the Pete Franklin sports talk show.

He was very popular and did some great charity work but I could never listen to him beyond a couple of minutes.

Started as "Mr. Know It All" on the Pete Franklin sports talk show.

He was very popular and did some great charity work but I could never listen to him beyond a couple of minutes.
Sports talk radio was great when Pete Franklin held down NEO on 3WE, and Bob Trumpy was on the air every night in SWO on WLW.... Everybody since those two guys have been a waste of air time.

Sports talk radio was great when Pete Franklin held down NEO on 3WE, and Bob Trumpy was on the air every night in SWO on WLW.... Everybody since those two guys have been a waste of air time.
I'll admit I did not listen to Trumpy a ton, but the guy on WLW now, Lance McCallister is really, really good. Lance's preparation is off the charts, and he's very cognisant of the listener and tries to keep things balanced. Not listening much now because it's 90% Bengals talk. Just a Reds fan. It's Lance everyday during the baseball season!!

I'll admit I did not listen to Trumpy a ton, but the guy on WLW now, Lance McCallister is really, really good. Lance's preparation is off the charts, and he's very cognisant of the listener and tries to keep things balanced. Not listening much now because it's 90% Bengals talk. Just a Reds fan. It's Lance everyday during the baseball season!!
What made Trumpy and Pete Franklin so unique was that they were pioneers of the format, at least in this part of the country. Franklin was way more combative towards his callers, which was shocking back in the 80's. Trumpy did a nice job, plus with the on air talent WLW had from 5AM til Midnight everybody in SWO was glued to WLW. And, we didn't have cable TV or the internet back then so radio was a much bigger deal.....

What made Trumpy and Pete Franklin so unique was that they were pioneers of the format, at least in this part of the country. Franklin was way more combative towards his callers, which was shocking back in the 80's. Trumpy did a nice job, plus with the on air talent WLW had from 5AM til Midnight everybody in SWO was glued to WLW. And, we didn't have cable TV or the internet back then so radio was a much bigger deal.....
Didn't have the internet, but cable TV was around in the 80's, in fact I'd say that hurt radio alot. Prior to cable, most got 3-4 channels over their antenna, a few more on a good day and that was it. Don't know a whole lot about Pete Franklin other than what I've heard.

How about Tony Rizzo and Aaron Goldhammer? I'm not a Cleveland sports fan but they are very entertaining to listen to.

I like listening to Colin Cowherd, but he's such a dork sometimes. Such a homer. A guy who has done nothing in sports but talk on the radio has alot of opinions on things.

He's been in love with LeBron and Russell Wilson, and both are on sinking ships right now and he backpedals nearly every day on these guys. Russell Wilson may not be even in the top 20 in starting QB's today. He's aged so fast, so quickly.

Wilson's hand isn't healthy. It was dumb of them to rush him back
I think Wilson wants to prove he can still play, he's auditioning for a job next year - someplace else. I think Seattle is going to blow it up during the off season. Pete Carrol's gone, Russell's gone. I just think Russ is on the downside fast. He's always had a nice situation there, great defense, good running game. Those are kind of gone now.

Thoughts on Joy Taylor on Cowherd's show? She's Jason Taylor's sister. She's worked her way up the Fox ladder, going from the good looking 3rd wheel on the talk shows like Skip and Shannon, and now co-host's with Cowherd. To me she's ok, very attractive (obviously for those gigs), but she comes off as a whiner alot. Really pro player on nearly all situations.
She also likes to do modeling and to me that kind of takes away from the sports part. She wants to be a supermodel and respected for sports knowledge.

Thoughts on Joy Taylor on Cowherd's show? She's Jason Taylor's sister. She's worked her way up the Fox ladder, going from the good looking 3rd wheel on the talk shows like Skip and Shannon, and now co-host's with Cowherd. To me she's ok, very attractive (obviously for those gigs), but she comes off as a whiner alot. Really pro player on nearly all situations.
She also likes to do modeling and to me that kind of takes away from the sports part. She wants to be a supermodel and respected for sports knowledge.
Sexist Much?

got a chuckle a minute ago listening to Paul Finebaum stumble and stutter his way through talking about the Georgia/Michigan game. He clearly thought Michigan is going to win, but his SEC bias wouldn't let him say it and he was desperately reaching for the words to explain why Georgia would win.

Sexist Much?
Expected this response, it's kind of like the racist and homophobe argument. Any slight pushback and you're labeled. Look, let's not be dumb, there is a reason TV people, especially females get their jobs and I'm not sure why we can't say it. Someone like Rosanne Barr would never get a shot at a regional or national TV gig, even if she had the greatest knowledge. Look at the TV sports talk shows, all with very attractive women 25-40. Network execs both male and female know what men like to watch and that's the reason. There is not reason to sugar coat it.
Now, I'll ALSO say this, male reporters who never played a down of football to me also have the same issue. I can't relate to old ESPN's John Clayton who looks like a grandpa and not sure he ever played a down of pop warner football. I have a tough time with Cowherd at times too because he didn't play football.
Final point, let's just be real. If someone doesn't fit the mold, we can criticize without being racist, sexist or a homophobe. Michael Vick is an awful analyst of football. He played football because he had a strong arm and ran fast. He couldn't read defenses or he's had a lot better pro career. That doesn't make me a racist. Johnny Manziel had the same traits. Just ran around and made plays in college.

got a chuckle a minute ago listening to Paul Finebaum stumble and stutter his way through talking about the Georgia/Michigan game. He clearly thought Michigan is going to win, but his SEC bias wouldn't let him say it and he was desperately reaching for the words to explain why Georgia would win.
Finebaum is actually pretty straight. I never understand why when a guy picks SEC teams he's bias? The SEC has the best football, period. There is not disputing it. They have more national championships, more teams that get to the playoffs and put more players in the NFL than anyone else??

Now unfortunately many of these NFL hopefuls skip bowl games so you see the SEC getting hammered in bowl games because they are playing young, inexperienced and walk ons.

It’s amazing that some females are extremely knowledgeable about the sports they call. Your main objection is that they’re woman and you don’t believe they should be in the booth. You can’t accept change.

Most reporters don’t cover a subject that was their prior profession.

Finebaum is actually pretty straight. I never understand why when a guy picks SEC teams he's bias? The SEC has the best football, period. There is not disputing it. They have more national championships, more teams that get to the playoffs and put more players in the NFL than anyone else??

Now unfortunately many of these NFL hopefuls skip bowl games so you see the SEC getting hammered in bowl games because they are playing young, inexperienced and walk ons.

He literally works for the SEC?

It’s amazing that some females are extremely knowledgeable about the sports they call. Your main objection is that they’re woman and you don’t believe they should be in the booth. You can’t accept change.

Key word....SOME. Look you can parade your liberal ideas all you want. If it was all about experience and knowlege, you'd have most people in news/ sports over the age of 50, sitting BEHIND a desk with a company logo shirt on. But this is television where sex sells. Do you think it's coincidence that the sports shows has the ladies out from behind a desk, with form fitting dresses or mini skirts on? Even thought it's 2021, the viewship for those shows is still 75% male and THEY KNOW what guys like to look at.

They’re prepped and reading from a teleprompter

So much for that narrative. More like Michigan was a reach to belong.

Key word....SOME. Look you can parade your liberal ideas all you want. If it was all about experience and knowlege, you'd have most people in news/ sports over the age of 50, sitting BEHIND a desk with a company logo shirt on. But this is television where sex sells. Do you think it's coincidence that the sports shows has the ladies out from behind a desk, with form fitting dresses or mini skirts on? Even thought it's 2021, the viewship for those shows is still 75% male and THEY KNOW what guys like to look at.
Liberal? I literally ran for public office as a registered republican a few months ago.

You‘re just a racist, sexist, bigot. And every single time you try to prove you aren’t...you just make it more apparent.

Liberal? I literally ran for public office as a registered republican a few months ago.
Sad you can't even talk sports without it becoming political. How dare you have personal opinions and state them!
GIF by Luke Cosgrove

So much for that narrative. More like Michigan was a reach to belong.
I just hope once again the midwest will see the strength of the SEC. Honestly, after that Michigan/ Georgia game, you could easlily see Michigan losing 4-5 games in a typical SEC schedule.

They’re prepped and reading from a teleprompter
You do realize the sideline ladies have a speaker in their ear feeding them questions, don't you? I mean c'mon, do you really think the coaches like to be questioned coming off the field, it's strictly done for television and to put a little more eye candy on the screen.

Fascinating discussion today on Cowherd's show about Aaron Rodgers. Since Rodgers had the positive test for Covid and had to sit a game, he's got his share of criticism from the media and as Rodgers can, he's responded mostly through his buddy Pat McAfee on his show and some other tweets and comments. Seems like Cowherd and his side kick Joy don't like the slings and arrows when they come back at them. They can make character assignations on athletes continuously, yet when an athlete fires back, they get irked??

Let's face it, alot of sports talk shows is more about entertainment than facts, and that's the issue. These hosts hide behind "opinion" over facts and then get bent when they get attacked.

Fascinating discussion today on Cowherd's show about Aaron Rodgers. Since Rodgers had the positive test for Covid and had to sit a game, he's got his share of criticism from the media and as Rodgers can, he's responded mostly through his buddy Pat McAfee on his show and some other tweets and comments. Seems like Cowherd and his side kick Joy don't like the slings and arrows when they come back at them. They can make character assignations on athletes continuously, yet when an athlete fires back, they get irked??

Let's face it, alot of sports talk shows is more about entertainment than facts, and that's the issue. These hosts hide behind "opinion" over facts and then get bent when they get attacked.
When Sports Talk people become "celebrities", they are fair game.