Sports Talk Radio - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Can we somehow hire sports reporters who have some brains??

Some of the ridiculous narratives just this week...

Tom Brady may retire.

Sean Payton retires, may not coach again.

Aaron Rodgers may retire.

Jim Harbaugh is looking at NFL jobs.

None of these are going to happen. There is no way these things happen.

Can we somehow hire sports reporters who have some brains??

Some of the ridiculous narratives just this week...

Tom Brady may retire. <ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT>

Sean Payton retires, may not coach again. <RETIRES...will likely coach again...?>

Aaron Rodgers may retire. <Maybe in a few years...?>

Jim Harbaugh is looking at NFL jobs. <INTERVIEWING WITH THE VIKINGS>

None of these are going to happen. There is no way these things happen.
None of us ever bats 1,000%, but you at least batted .500 there, Red. :oops:

Cowherd's giddy today, one of his LA teams won for once. He's such a flip flopper. He acts like Matt Stafford had nothing to do with the Lions failures...he's the stinking Quarterback!!!! Of course he could had been alot better in Detroit. He was even that guy last night, he gives the opponent a few opportunities game to stay in it.

Mo Egger and Tony Pike do a Great job on the radio. Most of those national guys are just ego maniacs with an opinion.

I’m sure this has nothing to do with the Lakers going down the drain, and the Cavs on the upswing, right?

Never let a good band wagon pass you by. The guy went from lowly sports reporter at the Beacon Journal to making big money as a talking head on TV thanks to covering one guy.

Mo Egger and Tony Pike do a Great job on the radio. Most of those national guys are just ego maniacs with an opinion.
I've always like Moe Egger, even back to his days as McConnell's engineer. But I just can't take much of Tony Pike. In Egger and Lance McCallister, Cincinnati is blessed with two outstanding sports guys on the same station.

Ran into a new / old sports talk guy. He's on CBS Radio as a fill in and I believe he's been on WFAN out of NY for years. Chris Moore. A little more old school. Very laid back, not a screamer / yeller. The thing I like about him is he's been around, he's seen the landscape of sports and sports broadcasting change over the last several decades. I've heard him probably 1/2 dozen times or so and he doesn't just talk about NFL football for hours and hours. I think alot of today's sports talk hosts are lazy and just take the easy way out and talk about the NFL because they know that many can talk NFL 12 months out of the year. Chris talks BASEBALL!!!
The other thing he discusses is looking at sports from the angle of how these leagues operate, and it can be kind of cynical because let's face it, it's all about money today. Adding playoff teams in sports, adding games on schedules, the college football playoffs, it's all driven by TV and money.
Hopefully he can sometime get a regular weekend slot on CBS Radio.

For some reason Colin Cowherd has it in for white QB's. I don't know if this is a backlash to feeling bad about black QB's from 40 years ago or what. Colin's targets, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones. And Colin is obviously very liberal and he takes shots at Belichick and the Patriots any chance he gets. He loves Kyler Murry, Mahomes, Russell Wilson, slams Aaron Rodgers at any chance, thinks Lamar Jackson should get paid for pretty much not winning anything after the regular season so far and being hurt alot.

For the life of me I can't understand why anybody would ever listen to Colin Cowherd. He's all about being provocative with absolutely no substance.

92.3 in Cleveland has added Nick WiIson to join Dustin Fox in drive time, replacing Adam the Bull. So far, he's been decent.

For the life of me I can't understand why anybody would ever listen to Colin Cowherd. He's all about being provocative with absolutely no substance.

92.3 in Cleveland has added Nick WiIson to join Dustin Fox in drive time, replacing Adam the Bull. So far, he's been decent.
Unfortunately there really isn't much to choose from, and Coward is pretty entertaining. I disagree with him more than I agree with him, but he's entertaining.
1530 in Cincy has PIke on, who's terrible. Jim Rome is on and Greeney. Mike Greenberg is an example of a guy who stayed in the biz too long. He was ok with Mike and Mike as Golic's nerdy sidekick, but he's just gotten really stale and he's incredibly liberal.
Joy Talyor has not been with Cowherd for weeks so I'm guessing there are changes coming. Jason McIntire has been on with Colin and those two have a nice repour.

Unfortunately there really isn't much to choose from, and Coward is pretty entertaining. I disagree with him more than I agree with him, but he's entertaining.
1530 in Cincy has PIke on, who's terrible. Jim Rome is on and Greeney. Mike Greenberg is an example of a guy who stayed in the biz too long. He was ok with Mike and Mike as Golic's nerdy sidekick, but he's just gotten really stale and he's incredibly liberal.
Joy Talyor has not been with Cowherd for weeks so I'm guessing there are changes coming. Jason McIntire has been on with Colin and those two have a nice repour.
The "shelf life" of female sports talk shows is about 2-3 years. Joy Talyor is off Cowherd's show and is on the Fox TV show, and let's face that's the plan all along. Remember the old phrase of having a face for radio? That's out dated now because many of these sports talk stations now have tv syndications. Christina Lehey, Charissa Thompson, Joy Taylor start on these sports talks shows as the eye candy and little else, they set up takes and read news while wearing outfits for a night on the town. Lehey has her own show, Thompson is on the NFL Fox pregame show now and Taylor has moved on. I don't know if Jason McIntire is going to be her full time replacement, but I like him. Taylor has become incredibly opinionated and really goes after alot of social issues. To me this borders on too much for a public figure. I wonder if Alex Curry gets her full time gig with Cowherd. The ironic part is you have these young women who are complete knockouts and they get their foot in the door - ALOT due to their looks - then time moves on and well...you guessed it, the next pretty face comes along. The fact that Holly Rowe, Linda Cohn and Hannah Storm still have jobs at ESPN is pretty amazing. Cohn has stood the test of time.

So we're starting to see some trends in the sports talk/ sports show industry. Pretty much up to now, most females on these shows were kind of used for set up, ask questions, not really ones to inject opinion. That's slowly changing and there are starting to be some bumps in the road. I think one barrior that tough to navigate is the "expert" analyltics from a former player, vs. others on the show who didn't play. Add to that now the gender mix where not only you may have someone questioning what's going on, but from a female perspective. That's always been facinating to me that many of these females in these roles never played football before, yet due to the networks seeking ratings, they put these women into the roles. And more than ever now, minority women.
Mikalia Andrews is the newest on ESPN and she's been pretty aggressive on these shows battling the guys with opinion, kind of like Fox's Joy Taylor now although it appears Taylor has been in the industry longer.

I’m not familiar with Mikalia Andrews but I do listen to Colin Cowherd and the recently departed Joy Taylor. I believe a Taylor was a college athlete and she is the younger sister of HOF Miami Dolphin LB Jayson Taylor. She was ok, I really never had a like/dislike with her. Taylor had decent opinions/point of views. Obviously she never played football but one could say she had more experience with the NFL than most because of her brother who played in the NFL for almost 10 years.

Reality is, sex sells. It helps if your good looking. Fox doesn’t hire unattractive women & put them on the end of the news desk in dresses with slits just fir the heck of it. I started watching College GameDay because of Erin Andrews - I have no clue what she did on the show but I watched most Saturday’s!

Last edited:
I’m not familiar with Mikalia Andrews but I do listen to Colin Cowherd and the recently departed Joy Taylor. I believe a Taylor was a college athlete and she is the younger sister of HOF Miami Dolphin LB Jayson Taylor. She was ok, I really never had a like/dislike with her. Taylor had decent opinions/point of views. Obviously she never played football but one could say she had more experience with the NFL than most because of her brother who played in the NFL for almost 10 years.

Reality is, sex sells. It helps if your good looking. Fox doesn’t hire unattractive women & put them on the end of the news desk in dresses with slits just fir the heck of it. I started watching College GameDay because of Erin Andrews - I have no clue what she did on the show but I watched most Saturday’s!
I'd be curious to hear if Cowherd's show ratings have dipped any, he's the star of the show, but Joy was easy to look at, and she played it up big time. Which is honestly a weird thing we have today. I'm old enough to remember back in the 70's Phyllis George, former Miss. America was put on the set of the NFL today with Brent Musberger, Irv Cross and Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder. It was really the first time a female was on an NFL pregame show so talk about a pioneer, and back then there was only two shows like it, CBS and NBC, pre games shows.
Actually, you look at that show and many others and they were diverse before anyone even cared about diversity. Irv Cross was a former player and black, Brent Musberger, who has to be in his 80's was a young kid and Jimmy The Greek Snyder was a gambler who couldn't talk about gambling.

Anyway, there is so much talk today about the Metoo movement and womens' rights -- which they've had as long as I"ve been living -- and equality -- same. But no one ever seems to have an issue putting only hot young women on these shows and dressing them like they are going out on the town? Just seems like such a double standard. Not complaining, but it just seems odd these days.

Many people on this thread are in the southern part of the state the Cincinnati area. Just wanted to let you know that former national and regional broadcaster Thom Brennaman now has a daily podcast he does, Monday-Friday 10a- noon called Off The Bench. I've been listening for about a month and it's really good.
As you recall Thom got fired from Balley Sports- formerly Fox Sports Ohio for making a comment - OFF AIR - that may have offended a few people. To me way over the top, should have never been fired but it's the age we live in.

So anyway, he's sat on the sidelines for few years and is now back in broadcasting. The show is a blend of Cincinnati sports talk/ national sports. His regular guest list includes his dad Marty, Paul Daugherty, Brian Billick, Tracey Jones.
It's on YouTube on a platform called Chatterbox.

ESPN / Disney planning on some massive layoffs. There is no doubt the shine of ESPN has been tarnished over the years with their decisions on programming and personnel. Fox Sports has really become a big time player in the sports world, and ESPN trying to live on their past, but has let squeeky wheels dictate their programming. You look at their staff, explosion of women and minorities. I think initially it worked for them, but many of the long standing old timers have sworn off of ESPN because many segments they go towards the wokeness and the BLM movement and all that. It's become a very tired topic and more don't want to hear about it than do.
From the radio side, ESPN has gone off the rails. Keyshawn and JWill is awful, I think many stations have dropped them and picked up other programming. Greenburg has been plugged in the afternoon but same thing, He's Mr. Liberal and his schict is old.
ESPN Radio used to be the standard of sports talk radio and you can't barley even know their shows anymore.

ESPN / Disney planning on some massive layoffs. There is no doubt the shine of ESPN has been tarnished over the years with their decisions on programming and personnel. Fox Sports has really become a big time player in the sports world, and ESPN trying to live on their past, but has let squeeky wheels dictate their programming. You look at their staff, explosion of women and minorities. I think initially it worked for them, but many of the long standing old timers have sworn off of ESPN because many segments they go towards the wokeness and the BLM movement and all that. It's become a very tired topic and more don't want to hear about it than do.
From the radio side, ESPN has gone off the rails. Keyshawn and JWill is awful, I think many stations have dropped them and picked up other programming. Greenburg has been plugged in the afternoon but same thing, He's Mr. Liberal and his schict is old.
ESPN Radio used to be the standard of sports talk radio and you can't barley even know their shows anymore.
ESPN has one priority. NFL FOOTBALL. NBA is a distant second. That is the problem. They have driven off fans of baseball and most other sports. Also, like you said, their political slant has gotten old. The personnel? I like most of them but it's the few duds (Keyshawn) that spoil the barrel. Plus, IMHO, the I-95 bias is overwhelming.

ESPN has one priority. NFL FOOTBALL. NBA is a distant second. That is the problem. They have driven off fans of baseball and most other sports. Also, like you said, their political slant has gotten old. The personnel? I like most of them but it's the few duds (Keyshawn) that spoil the barrel. Plus, IMHO, the I-95 bias is overwhelming.
I'd say soccer and women's college bball is close to the top at ESPN too.

Will the Chickster be on after Weekend Reds Games this yr? Gotta love the Chickster!!!!
I'm sure he will be. Weekend extra innings. And there may be some LOOOONG extra innings shows with the pitch clock. Rare a spring training game goes more than 3 hours. Some of those 6:40/ 7:10 starts, games will be before 10, going to be ALOT more extra innings show time this year. Let's hope there is good things to talk about.

I'm sure he will be. Weekend extra innings. And there may be some LOOOONG extra innings shows with the pitch clock. Rare a spring training game goes more than 3 hours. Some of those 6:40/ 7:10 starts, games will be before 10, going to be ALOT more extra innings show time this year. Let's hope there is good things to talk about.
Definitely will be some long extra innings shows. Not sure if there will be good things to talk about but know the Chickster will bring the Energy Win or Lose!!

I'd say soccer and women's college bball is close to the top at ESPN too.
Shocking that ole Red is mad there's women's bball on TV. Since they don't actually air many regular season games I'm going to assume it's the girl's March Madness which is part of their television rights agreement with the NCAA.

Well they really don't have much else to put on anymore. Soccer, boxing, UFC and women's hoops.

So it's been awhile.... For those of you football fans, you've probably seen the rub with some of today's top running backs and their contracts. Not something completely new as we see this about every year with a few positions. What's different this time is the interest that many sports talk shows have taken, and many talking heads are basically proposing the players get more. I've never see the media, who should be impartial, become so outspoken on wage issues. And those of you who follow along and know the NFL players are unionized and the CBA they signed is now 3 years old, and there are 7 years left. With that in mind, there is nothing for the players to stand up for now. It's 7 years until the current deal ends, and likely most if not all today's running backs will be out of football.

Now I know the media's objectivity has changed over the years and they must play nice with the players or they risk being ostracized. The players don't need the media. The ESPN's and the Fox Sports continue to become more and more player advocates that reporting sports. Social media adn these teams have pretty much taken over their own media messages where they control what goes out.

Apparently you forget it's July and not much going on. They'll use any story they can to debate. The problem is you have a salary cap. So you're going to have to take from another position to then pay RB. RB don't have the same value they once did which the market shows. With passing friendly offenses, you better be able to catch the ball if you're going to get that big 2nd contract

It’s kind of silly on the part of RBs. It’s probably the most replaceable position on the field and we’re in a pass heavy era of football. When Derrick Henry is making less than Alex Highsmith, you’ve got your position value pretty well established.

Apparently you forget it's July and not much going on. They'll use any story they can to debate. The problem is you have a salary cap. So you're going to have to take from another position to then pay RB. RB don't have the same value they once did which the market shows. With passing friendly offenses, you better be able to catch the ball if you're going to get that big 2nd contract
Amen, my question to Saquon Barkely or any of these other guys is ok, so you deserve this money. Which of your teammates are you going to take money away from. People have this notion that there is an endless supply of money from employers.