Sports Talk Radio - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Who are some of the best sports talk radio personalities? Who needs a little work? Who needs to just hang it up?

I listen to a decent amount of radio bc of hauling horses around

Mornings I like Taz and the Moose. Paul Finebaum is usually entertaining.

One guy down here Louie Belina sp? is hilarious. Only talk solo talk show dude I have listened to who I actually liked. He differs from other Aggie radio dudes bc he doesnt see it through maroon colored glasses. If you guys thought the Bucknuts crowd was delusional, A+M has them beat in many circles. Atleast OSU has won multiple national championships and is almost always a national title contender.

Serious case of little brother syndrome to Texas as well. It is just different than any fanbase I have been around. I will say they are spending tons of money so I can see why expectations are much higher but they act as if they have been a national powerhouse throughout history.

Not a fan of ESPN radio anymore, and Fox is starting to struggle, IMO. Never liked Mike and Mike, and the new version isn't better. Lebetard is awful, I can't belive he has a show. Stephen A. is ok in small doses. I honestly don't listen to ESPN Radio much.

My favorite national currently is Tiki and Tierney on CBS Sports Radio. Both very good, down the center, not nutty liberal and they tell it like it is. Dan Patrick is awful. A decent overnight host is Amy Lawrence. She's good, but from 2A to 6A, who's listening other than us degenerates.

Locally, Lance McCallister and Mo Egger of 700 WLW are great!! Cincy is lucky to have two passionate, local guys on the sports scene. Ken Broo is ok.
I listen to the Really Big Show out of Cleveland, 850WKNR with Tony Rizzo and Aaron Goldhammer. I'm not a Cleveland sports fan, but they are very good and very entertaining. They do talk way to much about the Browns.

On the TV side, it's really getting more and more difficult to watch. PTI is pretty good with Kornheiser and Wilbon, mainly because it's 1/2 hour and they stick to the script. Fox has a grouping of hour long talk shows, Skip Bayless, Shannon Sharpe, Jason Whitlock, Colin Cowherd. It was decent for awhile, but it's getting stale really fast.

I'm sure there are people alot smarter than I who decide on content. But I just can't believe there is that much interest in the following topics, which they pound on incessively....LeBron James, Tom Brady, Dallas Cowboys...

There is literally a LeBron James topic every day. From where he's going next season, where his kids go to school, who he should go to. Look, he will have to pick ONE team to play for next season, and he can pick it. I really don't care. I don't think his legacy is any better or worse. He's an all time great, not the best ever. He's got too many quirky traits to be considered the best ever. I'm tired of it.

Tom Brady and Patriots have had a unprecedented run of success. He could go 0-16 next season and retire an still be the best QB of all time. This whole Billicheck / Brady dynamic again is tired as well.

And of course Fox paid alot of money for the World Cup, so we are going to get slammed with all kinds of soccer. I don't watch soccer. Nice sport for little kids to learn teamwork and some motor skills, but most kids move on to more challenging sports as they get older. It's why the US will never dominate globally in soccer. Our best athletes don't play soccer. They play football and basketball.

Haven't listened to sports talk radio in years. Also don't watch any of the 50 different talking head shows on ESPN/FOX. Never got the appeal of either.

Sportstalk radio is horrible. These guys have no insight into anything and are mostly paid to make stuff up for ratings.

Instead find a podcast where people actually know things.

On the TV side, it's really getting more and more difficult to watch. PTI is pretty good with Kornheiser and Wilbon, mainly because it's 1/2 hour and they stick to the script. Fox has a grouping of hour long talk shows, Skip Bayless, Shannon Sharpe, Jason Whitlock, Colin Cowherd. It was decent for awhile, but it's getting stale really fast.

I'm sure there are people alot smarter than I who decide on content. But I just can't believe there is that much interest in the following topics, which they pound on incessively....LeBron James, Tom Brady, Dallas Cowboys...

There is literally a LeBron James topic every day. From where he's going next season, where his kids go to school, who he should go to. Look, he will have to pick ONE team to play for next season, and he can pick it. I really don't care. I don't think his legacy is any better or worse. He's an all time great, not the best ever. He's got too many quirky traits to be considered the best ever. I'm tired of it.

Tom Brady and Patriots have had a unprecedented run of success. He could go 0-16 next season and retire an still be the best QB of all time. This whole Billicheck / Brady dynamic again is tired as well.

And of course Fox paid alot of money for the World Cup, so we are going to get slammed with all kinds of soccer. I don't watch soccer. Nice sport for little kids to learn teamwork and some motor skills, but most kids move on to more challenging sports as they get older. It's why the US will never dominate globally in soccer. Our best athletes don't play soccer. They play football and basketball.

Fox were fools to hire away all the ESPN talking heads that everyone was already tired of and knew were full of crap.

Nice way to slide in your completely unrelated agenda at the end.

Paul Finebau, was funny today. Had a dude pretending to be a green beret and CIA agent. Southerners are wild

I rip on soccer but love wtaching it. Bummed most of the matches are when I work so I can't catch many WC matches. I am a gopher

I'm okay with Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen and I can listen to Cowherd, though he has his moments. The local guys in NEO are brutal.

I'm okay with Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen and I can listen to Cowherd, though he has his moments. The local guys in NEO are brutal.

The guy with the lisp out of Cleveland is the absolute worst.

Reminds me of the old timer that they finally chased off the air in youngstown.

Too much 'get off my lawn' and not enough actual sports.

Ron Potesta in Youngstown right now isn't bad. He has a good hold of local high school sports. To me that's at least as important as the national crap.

I never make an effort to listen to a specific show, but Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan are pretty good on NFL radio

The best TV sports talk show host is Jason Whitlock, hands down. ESPN ran him off because he's too conservative for them. Whitlock has a very common sense approach to things, he does not fall for the "woe is me" black athlete, mainly because he was one. We don't hold LeBron James and Steph Curry or Colin Kaepernik accountable when they many comments about social issues. They are black and if we disagree, we are somehow racist. Whitlock doesn't fall for that crap. More of mainstream America think like Whitlock than Cowherd, Stephen A. Smith or any other talking head.

Kaep doesnt have a job or big endorsement deals, sounds like someone held him accountable

Lets start this debate again

:stirthepot:

To me the best sports talk shows are those that have unfiltered callers. Yeah sometimes things can go off the rails but the callers are what makes shows like Paul Finebaum's rock. All these national shows have on the same pseudo journalists chasing the same rumors or pontificating nationally about the team they know the best in a national setting. The one thing I hate are marginal ex-jocks with an agenda, anyone that's starts off with "Back when I played..." should not be allowed on a sports talk radio show.

Not sports talk but the all time best radio talk show outside of classic Stern was Gary Dee. Most of the time the guy did not screen calls and he would just blow through a segment with a dozen or so folks just speaking their mind in free form. Like I said, sometimes a train wreck but when it worked the show made a long car ride fly by.

Tom Hamilton - Indians
Herb Score - Indians (RIP)
Joe Tait - Cavs
Jim Donovan - Browns
Kirk Herbstreit - College Football
Kendall Lewis - All-time favorite for WKNR (RIP)

I really enjoy Dan Patrick on the radio. Changes topics frequently, mixes in non-sports conversations and has decent guests as well. Also love it when he talks about his time at the Mother Ship. Suck it back row!

Baskin and Phelps are solid.

Rizzo is goofy but can be entertaining sans Goldhammer.

I enjoy Chico Bormann. He doesn't get enough air time though. I like Dustin Fox better without Adam the Fool when Bormann fills in.