Sports Talk Radio - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

A few months later, Russillo is still the only one I go out of my way to listen to. He's got two podcasts now, one with Bill Simmons' company, The Ringer, called Dual Threat, where he only talks NFL and college football for an hour, once a week. The other is still The Russillo Show from ESPN, also once a week for an hour. Both great shows that don't get bogged down in current political talk that every other sports show has gotten trapped in.

I think the plan is for Dual Threat to be all CFB/NFL until end of football season and then become all hoops the remainder of the year

My 2 cents:
- Dan Patrick is the best national guy, and it isn't close. Funny, self-depracating, informative.
- Local Columbus guys 97.1 The Fan afternoon drive (Common Man) Mike Ricordatti and T-Bone. Its about half sports, and half nonsense, but always funny. Just what I need driving home from work.

1/2 half sports is pushing it many days.
Listen to them for an hour or so. Entertaining to say the least.

A few months later, Russillo is still the only one I go out of my way to listen to. He's got two podcasts now, one with Bill Simmons' company, The Ringer, called Dual Threat, where he only talks NFL and college football for an hour, once a week. The other is still The Russillo Show from ESPN, also once a week for an hour. Both great shows that don't get bogged down in current political talk that every other sports show has gotten trapped in.

I think the plan is for Dual Threat to be all CFB/NFL until end of football season and then become all hoops the remainder of the year

Thanks, big fan of Russillo, I"ll take a listen to his podcasts...

So on Cowherd's show today...he's actually making LeBron to be bigger than the LA Lakers - FRANCHISE!!! What a whack job.

Goldhammer is unlistenable so I don't.

Lost respect for Rizzo over his domestic issues.

Hooley wasn't bad except for his anti-OSU football shtick.

WTAM seems to be picking up the KNR rejects (Much, Brinda).

Hammer is ok with Rizz, by himself it's tough.

Nothing wrong with providing some balance to Buckeye nation. :stirthepot:

Well, didn't take long to ruin a good show. Speak For Yourself the, Fox Show that used to feature Colin Cowherd and Jason Whitlock, is now sans Cowherd, and replaced with Marcellius Wiley. Wiley is awful and the show has really dropped off. Now I'm not one to accuse media outlets of fake news, but this show literally recycles the same stories weeks upon weeks.
On most nights, most of these topics are discussed...

-the Patriots - Brady/ Billicheck
-the Cowboys - Dak Prescott
-Kaepernik - who knows why
-Laveon Bell - Steelers
-LeBron James
-Kevin Durrant
-Tiger Woods - if golf is going on

Now occasionally they hit a good topic, and last night they did talk about amateurism. It was pretty interesting. Other than that, easy to just fast forward through the show.

So Cowherd's spouting off today that he doesn't care who "deserves" to be in the college football playoff, he wants matchups.
So why play the regular season games?

Bringing this back for now...

So Fox has a "First Take" show and of course they talked about the Final four and the games over the weekend.
After we go through that, briefly, we go to the staples. We talk about Duke, Coach K, Zion. Next segment, Lakers - who aren't even in the playoffs. Next segment - Cowboys??? I realize they need ratings, so they want to talk about the big fan bases, but they also must realize that not everyone cares about the Lakers and the Cowboys?

Same reason as anyone else - someone thinks he can make them some money. He can't cost a station that much.

My favorite espn radio show was and always will be the original SVP and Russillo. They were great together. Oh the good ole days.

Same reason as anyone else - someone thinks he can make them some money. He can't cost a station that much.

I didn't expect a runt-y lookin' guy with facial hair. I saw him on a cable show after he was off of Cleveland radio, and I was shocked.

Always funny for me when I hear a person long enough to "picture" them without actually considering anything at all. Just an arbitrary image forms for me, and it's nearly always off.

Last edited:

Goldhammer is awful. He blows Karmizen Jr and works cheap doing double-duty as PD and on-air twerp, so he's a cost-efficient suck-up. Hard to dislodge, like a tic behind your ball sack would be, I guess. He's an absolute tool AND talentless :laugh:

Munch strikes me as a really nice guy that should probably be a writer.

His speaking patterns and even his voice are absolutely awful. Like Peter Dinklage as a ring model.......

I didn't expect a runt-y lookin' guy with facial hair.

Always funny for me when I hear a person long enough to "picture" them without actually considering anything at all. Just an arbitrary image forms for me, and it's nearly always off.

Casey Kasem! Totally shocked the first time I saw him on video.

Goldhammer is awful. He blows Karmizen Jr and works cheap doing double-duty as PD and on-air twerp, so he's a cost-efficient suck-up. Hard to dislodge, like a tic behind your ball sack would be, I guess. He's an absolute tool AND talentless :laugh:

His speaking patterns and even his voice are absolutely awful. Like Peter Dinklage as a ring model.......

They carry Munch's show here in Youngstown.

It's impossible to listen to him.

He reminds of how when Herb Score got old and either you coudln't understand him or he would merge 2 memories into one story.

They carry Munch's show here in Youngstown.

It's impossible to listen to him.

He reminds of how when Herb Score got old and either you coudln't understand him or he would merge 2 memories into one story.

When he tries to sound earnest, and pauses while speaking softly, it is excruciating....

How does Scott Ferral have a job with that voice?

I just imagine he smoking like five packs during each show

I really want to like Munch. He's either the world's nicest man or its biggest phony. However, I am like you guys in that I can only take so much. Sam Borquin is on 1590 and I like him, but his partner makes the show unlistenable.

How does Scott Ferral have a job with that voice?

I just imagine he smoking like five packs during each show

It's ridiculously raspy, but you can still understand him. He is pretty funny when he goes off in full mode, and he's OK when he's being serious, too.

Do you ever do that with Yappi posters?

not really.....I think that "picturing" thing is audibly inspired in my case......

except maybe for my favorite Yappi old coot, azw......

cactusman2.jpg

My favorite espn radio show was and always will be the original SVP and Russillo. They were great together. Oh the good ole days.

Liked that show as well. Russillo only does podcasts now, not sure how that works as far as actually making any money doing that.

Honestly, most young guys start their radio careers this way. It's the evolution of sports radio. Moe Egger was a producter/ board guy for Mike McConnell years and years ago. Started doing some weekend shifts, filling in here and there and now has a show on 1530 and is on WLW all the time. Contrary to common opinion, radio guys don't make much money until they hit the big time.