Sports Talk Radio - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

How does Scott Ferral have a job with that voice?

I just imagine he smoking like five packs during each show

Ferral is pretty good. Some do struggle with his voice. He can get pretty rough at times, so the night shift is probably the best for him. But he does have a good sense of right and wrong, and he doesn't hold back.

I'll say this, the CBS / Fox group of sports people blows ESPN's out of the water today. Hands down.
Never liked Golic, either one. Greenberg is awful. Dan Lebatard is terrible. I can listen to Stephen A. for a little bit.
Freddie Coleman at night is decent, and Dari Noka and Mel Keiper Jr. have a weekend show that's pretty good, but other than that, I listen to CBS sports radio most of the time these day....of course when not listening to WLW.

Honestly, most young guys start their radio careers this way. It's the evolution of sports radio. Moe Egger was a producter/ board guy for Mike McConnell years and years ago. Started doing some weekend shifts, filling in here and there and now has a show on 1530 and is on WLW all the time. Contrary to common opinion, radio guys don't make much money until they hit the big time.

well, duh.....

I'm just saying Goldhammer must be better at office politics, because he sucks on the radio.

He's not from here, and he's been here without advancement for a long time, so I think I'm right.

When he tries to sound earnest, and pauses while speaking softly, it is excruciating....

If he would cough up that furball and stop talking incessantly about 'back when my kid went to 'St. Who gives a ' it might improve.

Probably not though.

Out here they moved a pretty decent local guy to the afternoons and gave us Munch in the evenings.

It sucks.

well, duh.....

I'm just saying Goldhammer must be better at office politics, because he sucks on the radio.

He's not from here, and he's been here without advancement for a long time, so I think I'm right.

If he's a program director, he's advanced. You don't start there. Normally start as a board op/ call screener part time, weekend shifts.

It's difficult to say someone sucks on the radio because you don't know what the end game is. It's entertainment. If you have someone who makes people listen, even if the hate the person, then mission accomplished. I think Hammer is a good balance to Rizz, one old, one young. Kind of a millennial vs. old school...

If he's a program director, he's advanced. You don't start there. Normally start as a board op/ call screener part time, weekend shifts.

It's difficult to say someone sucks on the radio because you don't know what the end game is. It's entertainment. If you have someone who makes people listen, even if the hate the person, then mission accomplished. I think Hammer is a good balance to Rizz, one old, one young. Kind of a millennial vs. old school...

If you know anything about local radio then you know the program director is the station scapegoat, the piñata for both management and on-air staff. A PD has very little say in the direction station programming is going.

As for his on-air abilities, I think he is a very good interviewer. Beyond that, he's a shameless self-promoter, which I don't appreciate at all as a listener. His role is to play the heel, and he over-reaches more often than not. Rizzo does the heavy lifting on that show and even he's getting to be a pain in the with whining how "over-worked" he is. But Goldhammer is never going to be on equal footing with Rizzo as an on-air talent and with listener popularity and I think he chafes at that. Frankly, that act is stale, and I'm gravitating more and more toward 92.3.

Clevelanders remember the absolute worst sports radio " personality" in history...........Chuck Booms - boor, idiot, loudmouth.

Remember Booms, the moron. Only lasted about a year. :laugh:

Also, that smoinch, Kenny Roda … Steelers fan and Jim Rome wannabe. Never a fan of Jim Rome, either. Remember he kept calling LA Rams QB, Jim Everett, 'Chris Everett,' and they got into fisticuffs, live on air, lol.

Like Rizzo, but despise Goldhammer. Born with a silver spoon up his . From Denver, and Elway’s official tooth-brusher. Secretly roots for the Broncos when the Browns play them. Barely born when the Browns played the Broncos in the AFC title games in the 80s. Always down on the Browns.

CowTurd’s a massive A-hole. How anyone can listen to this moron … :Ohno: Cleveland Hater (or really, small-market hater). Loved Baker putting him in his place yesterday about OBJ.

Only thing that’s a dumpster fire is CowTurd’s show (whoop-de-hell).

“If you don’t wear orange and brown, you don’t matter.”

If you know anything about local radio then you know the program director is the station scapegoat, the piñata for both management and on-air staff. A PD has very little say in the direction station programming is going.

As for his on-air abilities, I think he is a very good interviewer. Beyond that, he's a shameless self-promoter, which I don't appreciate at all as a listener. His role is to play the heel, and he over-reaches more often than not. Rizzo does the heavy lifting on that show and even he's getting to be a pain in the with whining how "over-worked" he is. But Goldhammer is never going to be on equal footing with Rizzo as an on-air talent and with listener popularity and I think he chafes at that. Frankly, that act is stale, and I'm gravitating more and more toward 92.3.

I can't get a decent signal all of the time from 850, so I often resign myself to 92.3.

Speaking of 92.3, I was travelling this morning and found my way to a CBS Sports Radio national broadcast and when they switched to the 10:00 show the host was Ken Carmen...gasp. I remember listening to him on his University of Akron radio sports talk show a million years ago. I think I enjoyed him more at 21 than I do now with a decade of experience and arrogance.

I can't get a decent signal all of the time from 850, so I often resign myself to 92.3.

Speaking of 92.3, I was travelling this morning and found my way to a CBS Sports Radio national broadcast and when they switched to the 10:00 show the host was Ken Carmen...gasp. I remember listening to him on his University of Akron radio sports talk show a million years ago. I think I enjoyed him more at 21 than I do now with a decade of experience and arrogance.

Oh, I like Ken Carmen. He used to have a weekend spot on CBS radio nationally on Sunday nights 10PM-2AM. Really enjoy his takes. I think arrogance is a staple of sports talk show hosts.

Will Cain in for Stephen A. Smith today. I know Stephen A. is hated by many, but Will Cain is so bad. I don't mind Stephen A. in small doses and depending on the topic.

So let's see here, Curt Shilling gets canned for making comments considered political, Rush Limbaugh gets canned for making comments considered racist, and ESPN's own Dan Lebatard rants over the president of the united states, no comment???

I guess we know where ESPN stands, but we always have. I don't listen to Lebatard and I never will.

Just crushing, our local sports talk is changing from CBS sports radio to ESPN. Taz and the Moose, Dan Patrick, Tiki and Tierney out/ Golic Wingo, Lebatard and Dan Patrick replacing...UGH!!

The Cowherd/Mayfield feud is hilarious
It will only continue to be hilarious if Baker ends up making it. Right now the jury is out. He writes alot of checks that he can't cash right now. It's results league in the NFL. In some ways, it's good for him to have a talent like OBJ, but in some ways it's bad. Those two will be on the firing line every single week.

I do like Cowherd, he's knowledgeable and entertaining as well. The best of the afternoon group those is Tiki and Tierney. No glitz and glam, just basic sports stuff. I still can't believe Dan Lebatard is still on the air.

It's tough to judge a lot by the first couples of weeks in the NFL now that starters barely play in the pre-season. For an offensive group that hasn't played much together, it could take a few weeks before things click. They should be fine and it will be hilarious watching Cowherd try to spin it

I don't listen to any of these talking heads. Why do I need a guy who never played or coached the game to tell me his opinion about sports?

I do remember maybe a decade ago my brother telling me how Cowherd loves to troll Ohio folk. Cleveland fans to OSU fans. How he would brag about making some adverse comment about OSU and the lines would instantly blow up. He is a troll. Nothing more, nothing less.

Zach Smith podcast? Heard he is a giant DB but does not hold back on anyone and he obviously has inside info. Have not listened myself yet.

I don't listen to any of these talking heads. Why do I need a guy who never played or coached the game to tell me his opinion about sports?

I do remember maybe a decade ago my brother telling me how Cowherd loves to troll Ohio folk. Cleveland fans to OSU fans. How he would brag about making some adverse comment about OSU and the lines would instantly blow up. He is a troll. Nothing more, nothing less.

Zach Smith podcast? Heard he is a giant DB but does not hold back on anyone and he obviously has inside info. Have not listened myself yet.
I think about every fanbase can be trolled. Cowherd is about interest and moving the needle. Most people aren't going to listen to a host who agrees with all their callers and asks softball questions. You have to have an edge. Cowherd is very into the glitz and the glamour of teams and programs. He loves to talk Lakers, Cowboys, LeBron, kind of into the NBA/ NFL. Never, ever talks baseball.
BTW, Buckeye and Cleveland fans are easy to agitate. I know a bunch of them.

I think about every fanbase can be trolled. Cowherd is about interest and moving the needle. Most people aren't going to listen to a host who agrees with all their callers and asks softball questions. You have to have an edge. Cowherd is very into the glitz and the glamour of teams and programs. He loves to talk Lakers, Cowboys, LeBron, kind of into the NBA/ NFL. Never, ever talks baseball.
BTW, Buckeye and Cleveland fans are easy to agitate. I know a bunch of them.
Agree. Don Imus and Howard Stern spurned the shock jock movement and spilled into sports and effectively killed any good sports talk.

Be loud, say outlandish BS and people eat it up.

Again, why would anyone give a F what a guy who never played or coached opinion is on sports?

Agree. Don Imus and Howard Stern spurned the shock jock movement and spilled into sports and effectively killed any good sports talk.

Be loud, say outlandish BS and people eat it up.

Again, why would anyone give a F what a guy who never played or coached opinion is on sports?
I never listened to Imus or Stern, and they were more just regular talk show hosts who talked a little about sports. I don't put them in the same category. The only non-sports talk show host I'll listen to is 700 WLW's Mike McConnell. Mike's not outlandish or loud, he's intelligent and makes great, common sense points on things. I'll say most sports talk shows are pretty good, there are some that are just crappy. The CBS radio group beats the pants off the ESPN people anymore.

I never listened to Imus or Stern, and they were more just regular talk show hosts who talked a little about sports. I don't put them in the same category. The only non-sports talk show host I'll listen to is 700 WLW's Mike McConnell. Mike's not outlandish or loud, he's intelligent and makes great, common sense points on things. I'll say most sports talk shows are pretty good, there are some that are just crappy. The CBS radio group beats the pants off the ESPN people anymore.
They are not sportscasters at all.

My point is a know-nothing sportscaster watched what they did and realized he could do the same thing in sports.

They are not sportscasters at all.

My point is a know-nothing sportscaster watched what they did and realized he could do the same thing in sports.
Some do, the better ones don't. Many of your local, long time sports talk hosts are pretty good. I really like Cincinnati's Lance McCallister and Mo Egger. Both are passionate about Cincy sports, but they are not derogatory or loud on the radio, they let their callers talk and they can disagree without going postal.

In Cincinnati I like Mo Egger. Nationally I don't listen to as much but used to like Cowherd when he was at ESPN and also Russello and SVP when they were together.

In Cincinnati I like Mo Egger. Nationally I don't listen to as much but used to like Cowherd when he was at ESPN and also Russello and SVP when they were together.
SVP is pretty much only TV now, and Russello got into some trouble and I think he only does podcasts now. I'm not sure how these guys that only do podcasts get paid? Must be by subscription only. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'll never pay for a subscription to radio or podcasts. I'm not that desperate for information. The Athletic? No way. ESPN+, nope. There are already tons and tons of information out there for free. I don't need to pay any extra for some writers thoughts.