Sports Talk Radio - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Tom Hamilton - Indians
Herb Score - Indians (RIP)
Joe Tait - Cavs
Jim Donovan - Browns
Kirk Herbstreit - College Football
Kendall Lewis - All-time favorite for WKNR (RIP)

While I didn't always find his sports takes all that impressive, the BSK would carry on a conversation with the callers and not just let them talk for five seconds and then go on his own rant...as far too many do today, which makes most of them worth crap.

My favorite was the late Geoff Sindelar on WTAM, especially back when he did weekends. He would converse with the callers like you were sitting with him at a bar over a beer. And his sports knowledge was off the charts good. A great guy, too. Met him many times. The only weakness in his game was the love of collectibles, hence too many callers would call just to get his opinion on their junk/memorabilia.

Howie Chizek was unmatched in observing and commenting on the sport of life. RIP

Ah, yes ... NEO's 'Dean of Talk Radio' on The Talk of Akron (even though WNIR is located only about 2 miles down the road from the Kent campus, across from the Walmart). Mostly listened while attending KSU, back in the day. Gotta love those small stations and local personalities!

While I didn't always find his sports takes all that impressive, the BSK would carry on a conversation with the callers and not just let them talk for five seconds and then go on his own rant...as far too many do today, which makes most of them worth crap.

Right or wrong, I thought the BSK was a straight-shooter. Always singing tOSU fight song (and making up lyrics) was also good for a laugh!

Last edited:
I enjoyed Clay Travis at the start of his regular morning show, but he's worn thin on me.

Amen. There's only so much "edginess" you can take before you sift through the BS to see if there's anything worth the search. There's not. Not for me, at least.

I agree, at least once a week I'll change the station for a couple minutes because he's been talking about the same subject for too long.

Yeah, no idea how anyone stands Clay Travis. He figured out he could make a lot of money by tying as many sports stories as possible back to some sort of culture war stuff. And I'm sure it's been highly profitable for him, so I get the motivation, but I don't see what's entertaining about it.

Then accusing Schiano of enabling child molestation all because he didn't want him to coach his alma mater would be a deal breaker for me even if I found him otherwise entertaining. Doesn't get much more scummy than that.

Some national guys I like who are not full timers... John Kincade, Ken Carmen and Sean Pendergast. I believe they do regular local week day shows and they pick up a weekend shift for CBS sports radio.

One of the few disappointments of the weekend is that Marty was off and didn't get to make any of the calls. Jim Day is great at interviewing and adding some things here and there on TV, but his radio play by play stinks.

So I turn on the radio, still set on 850 from earlier, just to hear stupid Aaron Goldhammer say, "Yeah, I'm not a fan of Sea World. They treat those animals horribly there." Sorry, Rizzo. Buh-bye.

So then, instead of switching over to FM, I jump down the dial to the Cowherd show. Doug Gottlieb is sitting in, a name that I recognize from little CBS hot take filler pieces. What the heck. Within a minute, I'm guessing that he must be from LA, because he's talking about how LeBron has dropped hints that he is joining the Lakers. Hack radio at its finest :laugh:

So I turn on the radio, still set on 850 from earlier, just to hear stupid Aaron Goldhammer say, "Yeah, I'm not a fan of Sea World. They treat those animals horribly there." Sorry, Rizzo. Buh-bye.

So then, instead of switching over to FM, I jump down the dial to the Cowherd show. Doug Gottlieb is sitting in, a name that I recognize from little CBS hot take filler pieces. What the heck. Within a minute, I'm guessing that he must be from LA, because he's talking about how LeBron has dropped hints that he is joining the Lakers. Hack radio at its finest :laugh:

That does not surprise me at all about Hammer, he's about as liberal as it comes, he and conservative Rizz go round and round. But isn't that the way it is though, I'll be when Hammer is in his 50's, he'll be much more conservative. You tend to do that as you get older.

I like Doug Gottleib, he's a good host and is a good 1a for Cowherd when he's gone.

For those of you who pay attention, if you could go back and see if you can find the segment or two earlier this week from the Fox show, Speak for Yourself. Jason Whitlock has a couple of really good segments on the anthem protest, the failure of black athletes to see the big picture and really calls them out. Whitlock is the voice of reason in this silly protest and more people should listen to him.

My 2 cents:
- Dan Patrick is the best national guy, and it isn't close. Funny, self-depracating, informative.
- Local Columbus guys 97.1 The Fan afternoon drive (Common Man) Mike Ricordatti and T-Bone. Its about half sports, and half nonsense, but always funny. Just what I need driving home from work.

For those of you who pay attention, if you could go back and see if you can find the segment or two earlier this week from the Fox show, Speak for Yourself. Jason Whitlock has a couple of really good segments on the anthem protest, the failure of black athletes to see the big picture and really calls them out. Whitlock is the voice of reason in this silly protest and more people should listen to him.

seriously?

Some national guys I like who are not full timers... John Kincade, Ken Carmen and Sean Pendergast. I believe they do regular local week day shows and they pick up a weekend shift for CBS sports radio.

We have Ken Carman every morning here. OK, but small doses may be better.

I enjoy Beau Bishop quite a bit. Smart, well-reasoned, not much hot-take stupidity but a fair amount of insight. He may be a regular in C-bus, as he's with the Eleven Warriors stuff, but he does weekends, call-ins and fill-ins here on 92.3.

I'd love to hear him getting along with Dustin Fox enough to replace Adam the Fool. Maybe I read it wrong, but ex-Buckeye Fox seems to be in a perpetual low-grade pizzing match with Bishop over Buckeye insider cred.

Bishop's strength is that he actually seems able to support a discussion with a view to all angles - unlike lame hack idiots such as Adam "the Bull" Gerstenhaber or Aaron Goldhammer that immediately polarize everything because they lack the talent to support a quality discussion. They light up the phones with 40 watt-ers.

SVP was the best. It’s too bad he doesn’t have a show anymore. Pretty much everything on espn right now sucks. I do like Kinner and Schlemmer on Espn 1410 Dayton.

Golic and Wingo- snooze fest

Lebatard and Stugotz- it has funny moments but does it even count as sports talk? Not for me

Stephen A- can’t stand him. Yells the whole show and hangs up on intelligent callers who call him out. Self centered piece of crap.

Will Cain- he’s not terrible and makes valid points but it’s pretty boring.

Dari and Mel- actually a good show but it’s only on Saturday morning.

Dan Patrick is as solid as they come

Le Batard's show is hilarious BUT only because of the people he works with. Those guys start venturing off on their own and he's toast.

Mike and Mike were ok so long as Greenburg wasn't trying to push some topic or agenda the listening public had no interest in. Wingo and Golic are okish

Steven A is trash.

Will Cain is trash. Couple him with Sarah Spain and he hands over his junk to her or puts it in a jar for the next few hours.

SVP and Russillo were awesome.

When he was on ESPN I would listen to Cowherd daily.

Cleveland sports hosts have the easiest jobs in the world. For six months the question is " Who should be the Browns' qb?" The other six months is " Will LeBron be back next year?"
No insight needed, which is good because the millennials on 92.3 have no clue about sports. But ask them about their dates or how drunk they got, they will spend 30 minutes on those topics.

Tiki and Tierney on CBS Sports Radio...good

Stephen A - ok, in small doses

LeBatard - worst show on, can't believe he's still on

Patrick - nah, too whiny

John Kincaid on the weekeds is good

Ken Carmen - look out, moving up the ranks, again, CBS weekends.

I'm serious...Colin Cowherd must be getting kickbacks from the NFL...

He is absolutely giddy about tonights Jets/ Browns matchup?? What is different between this and Titans/ Jags game from years past??
Cowherd is such a suck up for the "big city" and highly promoted player. He's all geeked up about Sam Darnold (of course USC guy), and of course Baker Mayfield.

It’s kinda funny to revisit this hissy fit post over a radio guy because he was saying what you didn’t want to hear, but who ended up being right. :laugh: