Sports Talk Radio - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Dan Patrick Show announced this morning that, in addition to running live on YouTube, the program will remain airing on Fox Sports Radio in conjunction with Premiere Networks and iHeartRadio. The Big Lead has learned from a source with knowledge of the news that the Rich Eisen Show will not remain with the networks. A spokesperson for Premiere declined to comment.

I don't think he survives this. The relationship/ trust of a beat writer and organization is critical.
I agree but how has Mary Kay Cabot survived as the Browns beat writer? All she does is cut and paste her articles. The players and coaches roll their eyes at her post game questions. She just offers TMZ style reporting and it sets women back 25 years who are actually good at covering the NFL. I can only assume if they shyte canned her it would cause an outrage of sexist discrimination. Haslem already has enough horrid press due to his failed ownership of the Browns. She sucks bad though.

The Dan Patrick Show announced this morning that, in addition to running live on YouTube, the program will remain airing on Fox Sports Radio in conjunction with Premiere Networks and iHeartRadio. The Big Lead has learned from a source with knowledge of the news that the Rich Eisen Show will not remain with the networks. A spokesperson for Premiere declined to comment.

I don't listen to either one of them. I've never been an Eisen fan, he was a good Sportscenter host back in the day, and his "run for Rich" promo at the NFL combine is kinda cool. Outside of that, not very entertaining. Patrick, as I've said on here, can't stand. He was again good as a SportsCenter host, but was coupled with Olberman and they tried to be more entertaining than informative. Patrick comes off as very smug and all knowing, in an annoying way. Cowherd is just like him, but much more entertaining.

I agree but how has Mary Kay Cabot survived as the Browns beat writer? All she does is cut and paste her articles. The players and coaches roll their eyes at her post game questions. She just offers TMZ style reporting and it sets women back 25 years who are actually good at covering the NFL. I can only assume if they shyte canned her it would cause an outrage of sexist discrimination. Haslem already has enough horrid press due to his failed ownership of the Browns. She sucks bad though.
I've never really followed her much, but you wonder what she brings to the table. And my guess is anyone like her, Linda Cohn, Jackie MacMullen all would have age and sex discrimination cases if they got canned.

I'll tell you what, Sports Talk Radio and podcasts has been a god send during this corona virus shutdown. I simply cannot listen to Dewine and Trumps pressers daily and the fear mongering of the media. God bless anyone who can sit and listen to that. I like Trump, I'll vote for him again in November, but his pressers are more designed for him to joust with the media. And by the way, they more the media goes after him, the stronger his campaign gets. The media doesn't understand how disliked they are anymore. The constant badgering and silly questions turn people off. But I digress...Clay Travis of Fox Sports radio, if you are conservative in nature at all, give this guy a listen. He comes on Fox sports radio from 6-9 AM. He's been on the corona stuff, but from a positive AND factual angle. Unless you are in NYC, Louisiana or Detroit, these numbers have been way overblown and the shutdown may had been over shot by our leaders. NYC shut down too late, they have the perfect storm with millions living on top of each other. Most of the rest of the country is fine.
The NFL Free agency, the draft, the Last Dance of the Bulls has also carried the days by. I've watched more movies than at any other time in my life. It's time to get things opened up again and it appears things are angling that way.

June 15, 2020, one of the best days in sports talk history. I've been listening to Fox Sports Clay Travis the last few months and he's fantastic. Now, he's adding Jason Whitlock to his Outkick the Coverage team. I'm not exactly sure how this works, but Whitlock could not come up with a new deal from Fox a few weeks ago, and Travis owns the Outkick media company. But anyway, I don't care. ESPN radio is horrible, and the last couple of months, it's been nothing but doom and gloom and whining from most sports talk people. They cower to all the corona talk, racial injustice and Travis and Whitlock tell it like it is.
My top sports info will come from Travis, Whitlock and 700 WLW and Lance McCallister/ Mo Egger

I tune into sports talk to enjoy talk about sports, not social policy. Too many of the guys right now, including Clay Travis, who has become so arrogant that I can't bear listening to him, are doing just what annoys the hell out of me. I want to hear what somebody thinks about what may happen in the Belmont Stakes this weekend or where Jadaveon Clowney may sign, not whether fans should be in the stands to see them. There are enough social policy talking heads out there with blowhards like Limbaugh, Maddow.... I don't need it in my diversion- sports.

Travis and Whitlock should absolutely be together. Two of the most arrogant, know it all aszholes anyone could ever listen to. There is a reason Whitlock isn’t able to stay at a job very long.

Travis and Whitlock should absolutely be together. Two of the most arrogant, know it all aszholes anyone could ever listen to. There is a reason Whitlock isn’t able to stay at a job very long.

Whitlock occasionally makes a good relevant point, however, he should be in a forum appropriate for the commentary, not sports talk.

Travis fools many of his listeners merely through the confidence he displays in saying things. They interpret his certitude as truth.

I tune into sports talk to enjoy talk about sports, not social policy. Too many of the guys right now, including Clay Travis, who has become so arrogant that I can't bear listening to him, are doing just what annoys the hell out of me. I want to hear what somebody thinks about what may happen in the Belmont Stakes this weekend or where Jadaveon Clowney may sign, not whether fans should be in the stands to see them. There are enough social policy talking heads out there with blowhards like Limbaugh, Maddow.... I don't need it in my diversion- sports.
I completely agree, before corona that was the measure of sports talk, talk about sports. I guess my personal views are closer to Travis and Whitlock, so that's why I like them. The reason I like Travis is that all through this Corona thing, he's been very up front with the data, not the national and local narratives to go hide under the bed. Sadly, our national media doesn't do a good job of informing us anymore. National news is more about ratings and interest. And most people who sit at home and watch TV all the time tend to be fearmongers and will be glued to the TV, in fear of everything and everything.
Whitlock is about the only black sports caster that holds the black athlete accountable. He's seen the years of the black athlete being told they don't measure up, when in reality they dominate most professional team sports other than hockey and baseball. The NFL and the NBA has made more blacks millionaires than just about any other occupation in America, yet the participants complain and take a knee??

Interesting...Whitlock definitely couldn't stay at ESPN because he's way too conservative for them. There isn't a person at ESPN that isn't liberal. The mere fact that a guy like Dan Lebatard can keep a job at ESPN over Whitlock tells me they are more interested in style than substance.

Whitlock occasionally makes a good relevant point, however, he should be in a forum appropriate for the commentary, not sports talk.

Travis fools many of his listeners merely through the confidence he displays in saying things. They interpret his certitude as truth.
Whitlock in a sports person, he's alot more appropriate than many of the other talking heads on radio. Travis is a former lawyer turned talked sports talk show host, he's sharper than most of those guys. A sports talk show host with confidence??

Clay Travis, I'd encourage all of you to take a listen to this guy for a week. He gives you facts, he's not woke, he holds people accountable. He's a former lawyer so he knows how to debate. The guys at ESPN can't criticize LeBron and the other woke athletes because they're afraid of their jobs. ESPN sunk their ship years ago when they became buddy buddy with athletes and stopped holding athletes accountable.

Clay Travis, I'd encourage all of you to take a listen to this guy for a week. He gives you facts, he's not woke, he holds people accountable. He's a former lawyer so he knows how to debate. The guys at ESPN can't criticize LeBron and the other woke athletes because they're afraid of their jobs. ESPN sunk their ship years ago when they became buddy buddy with athletes and stopped holding athletes accountable.

Thanks, but what you interpret as giving you the facts I interpret as an arrogant blowhard way the hell out of his lane. I tune in to sports talk for talk about sports, not social and political commentary.

Thanks, but what you interpret as giving you the facts I interpret as an arrogant blowhard way the hell out of his lane. I tune in to sports talk for talk about sports, not social and political commentary.
Let's resurrect this thread. So Travis, while still entertaining does step out into the weeds quite a bit. I think he's kind of looking at this as a way to push or at least hold firm the conservative idea. Here is where our own political slants come in. I have a very difficult time with ESPN anymore. Most of their staff slant liberal and much of their programming does too. PTI with Kornheiser and Wilbon is really the last shred of just sports commentary.
I'll tell you want CBS Sports radio and Fox Sports radio are really kicking butt now. A guy on in the mornings is Damon Amendalara, excellent. Bill Reiter is next, followed by Cowherd and then Doug Gotleib, a favorite of mine now. Fox has Clay Travis, Jim Rome, Tiki & Tiraney. I think what's happened is most people under 30 are podcast listeners, so you're starting to see swing back to the old school male hosts and honinig in on the over 40 crowd.
It will be very interesting to see how sports are in another 20 years. the younger generation does not watch games. They like highlight's, fantasy teams and betting lines.

Just tell me last night's scores, which QBs will go 2, 3 and 4, who you think will win at the Masters... I couldn't care less about what Travis or any other SPORTS talking head thinks about the state of the nation. If I want that $h!+ I will turn into some blowhard like Michael Savage or Al Franken.

Just tell me last night's scores, which QBs will go 2, 3 and 4, who you think will win at the Masters... I couldn't care less about what Travis or any other SPORTS talking head thinks about the state of the nation. If I want that $h!+ I will turn into some blowhard like Michael Savage or Al Franken.
I’m an old school sports talk listener. Like you, I just want to hear sports. When I want politics, medical advice, or anything else, I’ll seek out different outlets. I go for sports talk when I feel like hearing about sports.

My favorite in the Cleveland area will always be The Professor, the late Geoff Sindelar. He had an encyclopedic sports knowledge and would engage the caller in actual conversation, as opposed to many hosts who just like to hear their own voice. I met Geoff many times and he was as down to earth as can be, and he carried that same persona on air. RIP.

My current favorite is Garrett Bush...G Bush...on 92.3 in CLE. He has excellent knowledge and insight IMO, and he’s entertaining. He also actually engages with the callers in actual discussion/debate. I would love to see his role expanded on 92.3.

Though I don’t much care for his show, due to its format which is not caller friendly, I think 92.3’s Ken Carmen is a real radio pro. His takes are usually good and he is very smooth on the air. You can hear him at his best when he does national stints on CBS radio, where he can really show his broad sports acumen.

I’m an old school sports talk listener. Like you, I just want to hear sports. When I want politics, medical advice, or anything else, I’ll seek out different outlets. I go for sports talk when I feel like hearing about sports.

My favorite in the Cleveland area will always be The Professor, the late Geoff Sindelar. He had an encyclopedic sports knowledge and would engage the caller in actual conversation, as opposed to many hosts who just like to hear their own voice. I met Geoff many times and he was as down to earth as can be, and he carried that same persona on air. RIP.

My current favorite is Garrett Bush...G Bush...on 92.3 in CLE. He has excellent knowledge and insight IMO, and he’s entertaining. He also actually engages with the callers in actual discussion/debate. I would love to see his role expanded on 92.3.

Though I don’t much care for his show, due to its format which is not caller friendly, I think 92.3’s Ken Carmen is a real radio pro. His takes are usually good and he is very smooth on the air. You can hear him at his best when he does national stints on CBS radio, where he can really show his broad sports acumen.

I remember Carmen when he was doing a Sunday morning show on the University of Akron radio station when he was in college!

I like Chico Boarman on 92.3 also.

I remember Carmen when he was doing a Sunday morning show on the University of Akron radio station when he was in college!

I like Chico Boarman on 92.3 also.
Yeah, Chico is pretty good. Baskin and Phelps are ridiculously dull. Bull is a doosh and Fox contributes nothing. Anthony Lima is another no talent hack at 92.3. I did enjoy when Les Levine would guest host. The fill-ins, Peterlin and Menigan are unlistenable and I never liked Jeff Thomas and his corniness. So for me, 92.3 is Carmen, G Bush and Chico.

Yeah, Chico is pretty good. Baskin and Phelps are ridiculously dull. Bull is a doosh and Fox contributes nothing. Anthony Lima is another no talent hack at 92.3. I did enjoy when Les Levine would guest host. The fill-ins, Peterlin and Menigan are unlistenable and I never liked Jeff Thomas and his corniness. So for me, 92.3 is Carmen, G Bush and Chico.

I think it is telling of their management that some of their batter talent are not their front line guys. I tend to like the informational low key guys like Boarman over the big mouth guys like Adam the Bull.

We had a change in the Akron area on one of our sports talk shows with Munch Bishop leaving the air for some guy named Jimmy Malone.

I think it is telling of their management that some of their batter talent are not their front line guys. I tend to like the informational low key guys like Boarman over the big mouth guys like Adam the Bull.

We had a change in the Akron area on one of our sports talk shows with Munch Bishop leaving the air for some guy named Jimmy Malone.
Met Munch socially several times. Another guy with fantastic sports knowledge. A really good guy in person, and he has that same high motor that he has on air - haha. High energy. Asked him what he would need to do a charitable function for us once and he said "just tell me when and where, that's all I need." He did a great job.

I've posted this sometime in the past, but I'll do it again. Some of the very best, funniest, cleverest and most entertaining radio I ever heard was during a period of time when Chuck Galeti and Chuck Booms teamed up to fill in for Mike Trivisonno on WTAM. They just played off each other perfectly. I wish they had gotten their own show.

I've posted this sometime in the past, but I'll do it again. Some of the very best, funniest, cleverest and most entertaining radio I ever heard was during a period of time when Chuck Galeti and Chuck Booms teamed up to fill in for Mike Trivisonno on WTAM. They just played off each other perfectly. I wish they had gotten their own show.
Booms can be hilarious, but it seems like he has burned so many bridges to get a full time gig in NEO.

Met Munch socially several times. Another guy with fantastic sports knowledge. A really good guy in person, and he has that same high motor that he has on air - haha. High energy. Asked him what he would need to do a charitable function for us once and he said "just tell me when and where, that's all I need." He did a great job.

Munch seems like a great guy but his voice coupled with his propensity to over compliment his guests and callers would occasionally wear on me. One thing he was very good at is getting area coaches and players on, something rarely done in the larger markets.

Amen on Ken Carmen, his Saturday show is fantastic. I'm not a Cleveland sports fan so I don't think I'd like the shows through the week as much. It's much different listing to a guy one day a week as opposed to 5.

I think the local guys - we listen to more on the content than the personality. Although I really like a couple of guys in Cincinnati, Lance McCallister and Mo Egger. I'm a big Reds fan - not Bengals and the content really makes a difference.

Amen on Ken Carmen, his Saturday show is fantastic. I'm not a Cleveland sports fan so I don't think I'd like the shows through the week as much. It's much different listing to a guy one day a week as opposed to 5.
Yes. I like his national show far better than his local show. It has nothing really to do with him. It’s the format of the local show that blows. On the national show it’s much easier for him to show his full range. He’s a pro. Very smooth.

Yes. I like his national show far better than his local show. It has nothing really to do with him. It’s the format of the local show that blows. On the national show it’s much easier for him to show his full range. He’s a pro. Very smooth.

Agreed. Much better with the wider range.

Munch is back on this week so it must have just been a brief vacation.