Sports Talk Radio - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Amen, my question to Saquon Barkely or any of these other guys is ok, so you deserve this money. Which of your teammates are you going to take money away from. People have this notion that there is an endless supply of money from employers.
I think more than anything, the RB position has always been for the "star" player...and paid accordingly. Now with all the advanced stats and change to the passing game...not too long ago offensive lineman rarely got large contracts. Now you have teams putting a large chunk of their payroll there.

Ten years from now...we may be paying RBs again because a coach has found a better way to use them in todays offense

I think more than anything, the RB position has always been for the "star" player...and paid accordingly. Now with all the advanced stats and change to the passing game...not too long ago offensive lineman rarely got large contracts. Now you have teams putting a large chunk of their payroll there.

Ten years from now...we may be paying RBs again because a coach has found a better way to use them in todays offense
Just to clarify...ELITE LEFT tackles get money. There are 3 levels of linemen. The elites who get huge money. The solid 8-10 year starter that we never hear anything from unless they are hurt or bad, and the regular guys that just bounce from team to team.
Running backs has just become too risky for teams to put alot of capital into, not with any assurance they will be great, or they will stay healthy. And many teams have simply abandoned the running game because the defenses has become so good that it's hard to have enough quality O-lineman to effectively run the ball, and defenses can simply stack the box.
Also with running backs, the talent level is similar enough it's hard to get a guy to standout. And because the passing game is so good, not only does your backs need to be able to catch, they also must be good blockers too.

Colin Cowherd made the statement that there was no way Dwayne Haskins had a chance to lead a team to the Super Bowl this year....

Just to clarify...ELITE LEFT tackles get money. There are 3 levels of linemen. The elites who get huge money. The solid 8-10 year starter that we never hear anything from unless they are hurt or bad, and the regular guys that just bounce from team to team.
Running backs has just become too risky for teams to put alot of capital into, not with any assurance they will be great, or they will stay healthy. And many teams have simply abandoned the running game because the defenses has become so good that it's hard to have enough quality O-lineman to effectively run the ball, and defenses can simply stack the box.
Also with running backs, the talent level is similar enough it's hard to get a guy to standout. And because the passing game is so good, not only does your backs need to be able to catch, they also must be good blockers too.
Dang you covered a lot of ground on that assessment of the running back. Injury seems to take its toll on that position faster than any other. And frankly, with the better option for one more reciever in a game designed to pass, we dont need that great back as much as we used to need them. Still, a great back can take much needed pressure off of the corners and make the tight end and receivers look much better.

I want a back that is good enough to make the defense stack the box, and a qb who's good enough to make them pay for doing it.

Colin Cowherd made the statement that there was no way Dwayne Haskins had a chance to lead a team to the Super Bowl this year....
I saw that, someone fell asleep at the wheel, including Cowherd. One thing we don't put enough stock in is these talk show hosts are good at DELIVERING opions, not necessarily their own. They have a prompter and staff of people that feed them information all show. It's not like they do alot of homework. Heck Tony Kornheiser is reportedly in bed by 8PM EST every night. He misses most sports until the next day.

Dang you covered a lot of ground on that assessment of the running back. Injury seems to take its toll on that position faster than any other. And frankly, with the better option for one more reciever in a game designed to pass, we dont need that great back as much as we used to need them. Still, a great back can take much needed pressure off of the corners and make the tight end and receivers look much better.

I want a back that is good enough to make the defense stack the box, and a qb who's good enough to make them pay for doing it.
Good points, not sure running backs have more injuries than any other position, it's just the "value" of a feature back may not be as important as taking those dollars and putting it in other position. My team the Titans, has Derrick Henry, may be one of the last backs that gets that 2nd contract. The Titans are still a run first team, and rely on the play action. Henry is very large, takes a pounding and is pretty healthy overall. But in a few years, the Titans may be doing RB by committee.

I saw that, someone fell asleep at the wheel, including Cowherd. One thing we don't put enough stock in is these talk show hosts are good at DELIVERING opions, not necessarily their own. They have a prompter and staff of people that feed them information all show. It's not like they do alot of homework. Heck Tony Kornheiser is reportedly in bed by 8PM EST every night. He misses most sports until the next day.
Agree, and I almost give him a break if he just accidentally said it. How does it end up on the screen graphic? Seems like a big miss by a few people

Agree, and I almost give him a break if he just accidentally said it. How does it end up on the screen graphic? Seems like a big miss by a few people
He doesn't do the graphics, and it clearly wasn't checked over well. When you have 24 hours a day of nothing but sports content, things are going to get missed. Now I agree, this was a BIG MISS and it's interesting to me that so little has been said about it. I mean could you imagine if it was Skip Bayless.

Wasn't trying to say he was in charge of graphics. Just don't see how it was missed with the people that did, and approved those in charge of approving before something hits the air

Well we haven't had a good discussion on this thread in awhile so I'll contribute. The KC Chiefs had their parade on Wednesday, and of course we had the shooting. No less than 24-36 hours later, you had sports talk shows going into places where they probably shouldn't, and that's making political comments on gun laws and gun control. Now no matter what side you are on, this wasn't about that. This was a dispute by a few people at in a public setting with thousands of people around. In our major cities across the country, shooting happens on a daily basis.
I listen to 700 WLW and it's nearly every day they are reporting on a shooting in the area. Now these generally are in places where few are around, so you don't have the risk of innocent people getting in the crossfire.
This is where these talk show hosts need to stand down and not talk about things they don't know about. Many of these guys live in or at least have shows in big markets and I can only think they simply don't pay attention to the normal gun violence that happens in this country everyday.

Well we haven't had a good discussion on this thread in awhile so I'll contribute. The KC Chiefs had their parade on Wednesday, and of course we had the shooting. No less than 24-36 hours later, you had sports talk shows going into places where they probably shouldn't, and that's making political comments on gun laws and gun control. Now no matter what side you are on, this wasn't about that. This was a dispute by a few people at in a public setting with thousands of people around. In our major cities across the country, shooting happens on a daily basis.
I listen to 700 WLW and it's nearly every day they are reporting on a shooting in the area. Now these generally are in places where few are around, so you don't have the risk of innocent people getting in the crossfire.
This is where these talk show hosts need to stand down and not talk about things they don't know about. Many of these guys live in or at least have shows in big markets and I can only think they simply don't pay attention to the normal gun violence that happens in this country everyday.
It's because gun violence has become part of everything we do. Go to school...shootings. Got to church...shootings. Go to the store...shootings. Go to movie...shootings. Go to the local family diner...shootings. Youth events...shootings. Go to a sporting event...shootings.

But no gun problem

It's because gun violence has become part of everything we do. Go to school...shootings. Got to church...shootings. Go to the store...shootings. Go to movie...shootings. Go to the local family diner...shootings. Youth events...shootings. Go to a sporting event...shootings.

But no gun problem
Gun problem, or an overall attitude problem? I think we've already determined that you simply can't take guns away from law abiding citizens. That would only increase the problems. These regular, everyday shootings in cities across America would not be solved by having more gun laws, or having tighter restrictions. The two kids in KC didn't own their guns, they got them from someone. Doug Gotleib, Nick Wright got on their shows and pleaded with people that more gun laws are needed. They have no idea what they are talking about.

The government is never going to go knock on people's doors and take their guns away. But we can't keep producing them at record numbers and expect anything to change. Legal gun owners accidentally kill themselves more than they actually use them for self defense.

The government is never going to go knock on people's doors and take their guns away. But we can't keep producing them at record numbers and expect anything to change. Legal gun owners accidentally kill themselves more than they actually use them for self defense.
So this is a chicken and egg debate. There are many, many people who do not trust our government, or frankly anyone else. So if you do anything to curtail production. people WILL find a way. Disarming or limiting the ways people can protect themselves isn't a way to go. The legal gun owners who accidentally kill themselves is a small price to pay for the overall good. But guns aside, we need to start working on PEOPLE from the inside out. There was a time when student and teachers probably had guns in their vehicles. Most everyone had some kind of firearm and yet we had few shootings. Why? There was a value of human life and a respect for life that's not a prevalent.
Former servicemen have always come back after active duty. Do we see a time when these guys who are familiar with guns, possibly even killed someone before, go on rampant shooting sprees? No. Why is that. Why do we have daily shootings in big cities across America? Not all of these people are in grave danger.

So this is a chicken and egg debate. There are many, many people who do not trust our government, or frankly anyone else. So if you do anything to curtail production. people WILL find a way. Disarming or limiting the ways people can protect themselves isn't a way to go. The legal gun owners who accidentally kill themselves is a small price to pay for the overall good. But guns aside, we need to start working on PEOPLE from the inside out. There was a time when student and teachers probably had guns in their vehicles. Most everyone had some kind of firearm and yet we had few shootings. Why? There was a value of human life and a respect for life that's not a prevalent.
Former servicemen have always come back after active duty. Do we see a time when these guys who are familiar with guns, possibly even killed someone before, go on rampant shooting sprees? No. Why is that. Why do we have daily shootings in big cities across America? Not all of these people are in grave danger.
There are way more guns and manufactures of guns than when you were younger. There's been ways to make ghost guns for decades but only easier now. Illegal but not like criminals care about that.

Military members account for more mass shootings than any other profession. Also rank at the top for murders and suicide. It's widely studied and reported on. Not sure how you missed that one.

Murder rates in Louisiana, New Mexico, South Carolina, Alabama and Arkansas are nearly three times higher than New York, Chicago and the others you like to throw out.

For you sports talk show junkies, I've got a new one for you. Former ESPN, Big ten network basketball host and announcer Dan Dakich is back on the radio in Indianapolis, on 1430 AM the Sports Ticket. Now for those of you who don't know him Dakich has been pretty outspoken on some controversial topics and he didn't really appeal to the ESPN wokeness. Dakich does some radio work with Outkick, run by Clay Travis so it's more on the conservative side. But Dakich is very entertaining and funny. Obviously he's going to talk Colts, IU basketball but he talks about alot of national sports topics as well. No one probably knows more or has had more interaction with the late Bob Knight than Dakich.
His show is on from noon-3, Monday thru Friday.

For you sports talk show junkies, I've got a new one for you. Former ESPN, Big ten network basketball host and announcer Dan Dakich is back on the radio in Indianapolis, on 1430 AM the Sports Ticket. Now for those of you who don't know him Dakich has been pretty outspoken on some controversial topics and he didn't really appeal to the ESPN wokeness. Dakich does some radio work with Outkick, run by Clay Travis so it's more on the conservative side. But Dakich is very entertaining and funny. Obviously he's going to talk Colts, IU basketball but he talks about alot of national sports topics as well. No one probably knows more or has had more interaction with the late Bob Knight than Dakich.
His show is on from noon-3, Monday thru Friday.
*fired because he got mad a HIGH SCHOOL basketball coach was fired...called a kid on the team a meth head, said he was going to go there and beat the hell out of all the school board members and said the town was nothing but meth, AIDS and needles.

Not sure that really has anything to do about "wokeness".