The Official 2022 Cincinnati Reds Thread

I don't think Schwarber would make us an contender. You'd have to have a good idea the NL would adopt the DH full time to entertain him. He simply is a positionless player. He not a good first baseman (and we have one) and he's not a good outfielder either.
He can hit.

I like Schwarber, but not at $20M per year. He's not a lefty Suarez, he has hit leadoff for the Cubs / Red Sox / Nats, with power. And he is an adequate outfielder, not great, but who cares. Just not worth $20M per year.

I like Schwarber, but not at $20M per year. He's not a lefty Suarez, he has hit leadoff for the Cubs / Red Sox / Nats, with power. And he is an adequate outfielder, not great, but who cares. Just not worth $20M per year.
What is he worth in your opinion?

$20M puts him top 10 among outfielders, Schwarber is not there. He is certainly below Castellanos in production. Maybe $14 or $15M per year?
I'd agree that he's below Castellanos.
He wants 3/60 and didn't get it in November when teams were signing huge deals. 3/48 or 3/50 might get it done.

Schwarber would be 32 at the end of that deal. Playing in GABP could certainly inflate his production for a better contract at that time. That's the angle I would push if I was Krall (assuming they have the payroll). Furthermore, a 3 yr deal lines up nicely with this current group of young, cheap core they have.

I'm not even considering Schwarber unless the NL adopts the DH, and he comes down in price significantly. We have other pressing needs.

I'm not even considering Schwarber unless the NL adopts the DH, and he comes down in price significantly. We have other pressing needs.
DH is more or less a done deal, easiest part of the new labor contract.

Outfield bats and bullpen are the 2 weaknesses on the team. Schwarber fills one of those needs, if the price is right. And he is from Middletown. ?‍♂️

DH is more or less a done deal, easiest part of the new labor contract.

Outfield bats and bullpen are the 2 weaknesses on the team. Schwarber fills one of those needs, if the price is right. And he is from Middletown. ?‍♂️
Really, he's from Middletown? ?

Bullpen, another starter. We have guys that can play the outfield, and we can find guys alot cheaper to play outfield who'll do what Schwarber does.
Why trade a starter if you have a need for starters?

You certainly don't trade SP to free up money for BP guys.

Bullpen, another starter. We have guys that can play the outfield, and we can find guys alot cheaper to play outfield who'll do what Schwarber does.
You say there are cheap OF alternatives that will have about an .850 OPS with 35+ HR, the same as Schwarber? Give us a name. Of course, you can't.

You say starter is a need? With Gray, Castillo, Mahle locked in, and Gutierrez, Lodolo and Greene roster ready, you think spending on a starter makes sense?

You say there are cheap OF alternatives that will have about an .850 OPS with 35+ HR, the same as Schwarber? Give us a name. Of course, you can't.

You say starter is a need? With Gray, Castillo, Mahle locked in, and Gutierrez, Lodolo and Greene roster ready, you think spending on a starter makes sense?
Nah, he would rather have a Billy Hamilton outfielder than a Jesse Winker.

To who? And what is their spending plan to improve the team?
I don't know who might be a buyer. But if I was in Castellini's situation, my full time job would be researching it and finding a prospective buyer.

Assuming all of the articles are true, the math is simple:
- The Reds are valued at $1.085 Billion (according to Forbes - they are the 4th from the bottom in terms of MLB franchise value)
- Castellini's net worth is a little over $400M (lowest among all MLB owners)
- That means everything else on his ledger has net valuation of negative $650M. Yikes.

And yes, I understand that these net worth values are very different than cash flow. Maybe the cash flow from all these other businesses are decent, I don't know. But it seems that if he is needing cash flow, selling all or a portion of the Reds is his only good option.

I don't know who might be a buyer. But if I was in Castellini's situation, my full time job would be researching it and finding a prospective buyer.

Assuming all of the articles are true, the math is simple:
- The Reds are valued at $1.085 Billion (according to Forbes - they are the 4th from the bottom in terms of MLB franchise value)
- Castellini's net worth is a little over $400M (lowest among all MLB owners)
- That means everything else on his ledger has net valuation of negative $650M. Yikes.

And yes, I understand that these net worth values are very different than cash flow. Maybe the cash flow from all these other businesses are decent, I don't know. But it seems that if he is needing cash flow, selling all or a portion of the Reds is his only good option.
Are there not other minority owners with the Reds? I'm too lazy to look it up, lol.

I can guarantee the family isn’t hurting for money and that his other business ventures aren’t $600M in the hole.

For starters you can get about 3-4 Tyler Naquin's for Schwarber's price tag, get a much, much better defensive player, speed, and contact.

It amazes me when fans point at ownership for a teams woes. All owners are multi-millionaires and few have anything do to with daily operation. Blame the players, blame the manager, but Bob Castellini has virtually nothing to do with the Reds success or failure.

I can guarantee the family isn’t hurting for money and that his other business ventures aren’t $600M in the hole.
I would agree that he isn't likely $600M in the Red.

His primary business outside the Reds made some massive mistakes last year that cost them dearly.

I would agree that he isn't likely $600M in the Red.

His primary business outside the Reds made some massive mistakes last year that cost them dearly.
So it’s your opinion that the family’s 125 year business, which his son runs not him, is upside down financially. Hundreds of million dollars in the hole? And that his entire net worth is those two business ventures?

Who cheaper should they acquire to hit like Schwarber hits?

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

For starters you can get about 3-4 Tyler Naquin's for Schwarber's price tag, get a much, much better defensive player, speed, and contact.
You only get to put 1 guy in the lineup, not 3 or 4.

Naquin has 50 career HR in 5-6 years and OPS well below Schwarber. You said you could match Schwarber's production (.850+ OPS and 35+ HR) for cheap. OF defense does not matter. I'm still waiting for some names.

Having said that Schwarber is not a UFA until 2023, so moot point unless they are looking to trade him.

Last edited:
You only get to put 1 guy in the lineup, not 3 or 4.

Naquin has 50 career HR in 5-6 years and OPS well below Schwarber. You said you could match Schwarber's production (.850+ OPS and 35+ HR) for cheap. OF defense does not matter. I'm still waiting for some names.

Having said that Schwarber is not a UFA until 2023, so moot point unless they are looking to trade him.
Schwarber is very much a FA right now. Because he was traded in mid-season there is no QO attached so no chance of losing draft picks.

So it’s your opinion that the family’s 125 year business, which his son runs not him, is upside down financially. Hundreds of million dollars in the hole? And that his entire net worth is those two business ventures?
I did not say they were upside down financially nor did I say they are hundreds of millions in debt.

I said the Castellini company made some egregious decisions in late 2019 that has cost them dearly. Those large losses likely led to Bob wanting to cut payroll on the Reds as much as the lockout.