The Official 2022 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Not gonna lie, I have almost no enthusiasm for baseball this season. My Reds prediction is 73-89.

Hopefully they do well out of the gate to get me interested, but after looking at the rotation that doesn't seem likely.

This is my post from Opening Day last year

But instead I'm just pissed off now. They will be lucky to be competitive by 2025, and by that point, India and Stephenson may already be on their way out of town. I'm going to be 35 years old having never witnessed a playoff series win, ffs.

Is this what it felt like to be a Bengals fan in the 90s?

Yep. A timeline:
- Thursday: Baseball is back! Yay!
- Friday: Reds are not talking to Castellanos. Disappointing but expected.
- Saturday & Sunday: Reds trade Sonny for a prospect and are discussing Mahle in trades. WTF?!?
- Monday: No point in renewing my extra Spectrum streaming TV that I only use for Blue Jackets hockey and Reds baseball.

The ill-advised big money given to Moustakas and Akiyama has slammed the window on this team shut. A couple of rough summers ahead. Votto deserves better...
You still have Suarez’s jock to sniff ?

This is my post from Opening Day last year

But instead I'm just pissed off now. They will be lucky to be competitive by 2025, and by that point, India and Stephenson may already be on their way out of town. I'm going to be 35 years old having never witnessed a playoff series win, ffs.

Is this what it felt like to be a Bengals fan in the 90s?
The Reds really have won the WS is the past, it was a lot of fun when they used to be that good. They blew their chances in 2012 and 2020 so look for 2028

Being rational, it’s probably the smart thing to do. The Reds did get one of the top prospects in the Twins organization. However, he’s only 18 yrs old and won’t sniff the League for at least 3-4 years, maybe longer. It’s hard to accept as fans, but this team is going to be bad for the next few years. Rebuilding in Baseball as a small mkt team is brutal.
Of course it is.

Doesn't change the fact that Castellini lost his a** on some stupid business decisions and now he is broke.

I like the trade. In Sonny Gray, we had a guy we owed $10 mill this year, and $12 mill next year (option). For that, we got, in 3 seasons, 68 starts, 23-20 record and a 3.49 ERA. Pretty good numbers, eh? Well, look a little closer - in those 68 starts, he averaged 5.3 innings per start. That's it. just a hair over 5 innings. For me, to get a high end POTENTIAL starter, that's a good trade. Yes, he's not going to be in Cincy for years, but this also opens of a rotation spot for Nick Lodolo.
Rotation - Castillo, Mahle, Gutierrez, Greene and Lodolo. I'm ok with that.

The Office Reaction GIF
It's not about the economics for us!!

I like the trade. In Sonny Gray, we had a guy we owed $10 mill this year, and $12 mill next year (option). For that, we got, in 3 seasons, 68 starts, 23-20 record and a 3.49 ERA. Pretty good numbers, eh? Well, look a little closer - in those 68 starts, he averaged 5.3 innings per start. That's it. just a hair over 5 innings. For me, to get a high end POTENTIAL starter, that's a good trade. Yes, he's not going to be in Cincy for years, but this also opens of a rotation spot for Nick Lodolo.
Rotation - Castillo, Mahle, Gutierrez, Greene and Lodolo. I'm ok with that.
I agree that down the road we may love this trade.

As for trying to compete this summer, the trade is an unmistakable signal that the Reds won't be - the organization intends another "partial rebuild". Like a wife who wants to keep re-doing a bathroom in a house built in 1940.

I agree that down the road we may love this trade.

As for trying to compete this summer, the trade is an unmistakable signal that the Reds won't be - the organization intends another "partial rebuild". Like a wife who wants to keep re-doing a bathroom in a house built in 1940.
If you feel Sonny Gray is the difference between us contending and not contending, that's not good. Gray was PC Derek Johnson's boy too, from Vandy. You got to feel that if Johnson thought Gray could ever get back to his old form, he'd stood up for him. I think a minimum of 25% of the time the Reds need to keep rebuilding as seasons go.

If you feel Sonny Gray is the difference between us contending and not contending, that's not good. Gray was PC Derek Johnson's boy too, from Vandy. You got to feel that if Johnson thought Gray could ever get back to his old form, he'd stood up for him. I think a minimum of 25% of the time the Reds need to keep rebuilding as seasons go.
Don't put words in my mouth. I did not say anything like "the Reds would be contenders if they kept Sonny". Read and comprehend.

I clearly said the trade was a clear signal what the organization is planning. If you think you might be contending, trading the #2 guy in the rotation (who is reasonably priced) for an 18 year old prospect is not something you would do.

Looks like Suarez is included in the deal, meaning the return will probably be minuscule if Seattle is taking on Suarez's contract. I love being a Reds fan

Of course it is.

Doesn't change the fact that Castellini lost his a** on some stupid business decisions and now he is broke.
You believe that Billionaire Banana Bob is broke? Have anything to back that up with? I believe he just cries poor along with playing the small market non sense.

You believe that Billionaire Banana Bob is broke? Have anything to back that up with? I believe he just cries poor along with playing the small market non sense.
Lowest net worth of any MLB owner, and Castellini Produce has recently begun a significant business restructuring process to become more of a supply chain business.

He might actually be broke, at least relative to all of the other owners.

Reds fans should be upset w/ ownership’s poor decision making. However, that doesn’t change the fact there’s no & to make this team competitive.

Everyone should remember ‘13 when they were just good enough to play for a WC, but nowhere near good enough to compete for a WS. They made a major mistake hanging on to certain players too long.

Reds fans should be upset w/ ownership’s poor decision making. However, that doesn’t change the fact there’s no & to make this team competitive.

Everyone should remember ‘13 when they were just good enough to play for a WC, but nowhere near good enough to compete for a WS. They made a major mistake hanging on to certain players too long.
It's not just that they aren't trying to compete; the moves they're making are highly questionable as being legitimate moves to try to rebuild. This is just a tear down to cut payroll with a hope and a prayer of getting some assets that might pan out in 3-4 years.

Castellini deserves all the ire he's going to get as this process continues. They're being 90s Mike Brown level cheap and when it's over Ken Griffey Jr.'s deferred compensation will probably make him the 3rd or 4th most expensive salary on their payroll this year.

Lowest net worth of any MLB owner, and Castellini Produce has recently begun a significant business restructuring process to become more of a supply chain business.

He might actually be broke, at least relative to all of the other owners.
Then he should sell the Team. I still don’t believe Banana Bob is broke.

Anyone who financially supports this team for time TBD deserves to be shot into space. Organization is a disgrace.
I understand not wanting to support the team this yr bc they’re going to suck. However, I don’t understand what fans expect them to do. Hold on to potential FA players though the season just so they can win 80 games, miss the playoffs and get nothing of value in return when the players bolt for FA.

It's not just that they aren't trying to compete; the moves they're making are highly questionable as being legitimate moves to try to rebuild. This is just a tear down to cut payroll with a hope and a prayer of getting some assets that might pan out in 3-4 years.

Castellini deserves all the ire he's going to get as this process continues. They're being 90s Mike Brown level cheap and when it's over Ken Griffey Jr.'s deferred compensation will probably make him the 3rd or 4th most expensive salary on their payroll this year.
You can’t compete and cut payroll at the same time. They weren’t going to be better than .500, so it’s best to rip the bandaid off now.

This doesn’t absolve ownership of how horribly they’ve bitched running the team, but there’s no good solution at this point.

It’s time to shed the dead weight and let the young dogs play. Greene, Lodolo, whatever the SS calls himself, Friedel etc. I think they will be a much more interesting team to watch than trotting has beens out there to win 70 games

Yep. A timeline:
- Thursday: Baseball is back! Yay!
- Friday: Reds are not talking to Castellanos. Disappointing but expected.
- Saturday & Sunday: Reds trade Sonny for a prospect and are discussing Mahle in trades. WTF?!?
- Monday: No point in renewing my extra Spectrum streaming TV that I only use for Blue Jackets hockey and Reds baseball.

The ill-advised big money given to Moustakas and Akiyama has slammed the window on this team shut. A couple of rough summers ahead. Votto deserves better...
I hope the Reds can pull off a trade to send Votto to the Yankees if he wants it.

He deserves to play for a team that actually tries to win.