The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Infield playing IN-3rd inning. Up 2-1. Doesn’t matter. Is that an out if Votto is playing back? If Kershaw is facing DeGrom I may get it. But my goodness. I have coached thousands of baseball games and have never had our infield IN in the 3rd inning. Thats how big innings come about. The game is simple actually, no trust in his offense to score.

Last edited:
Do mlb guys even consider when you are trying to cut a run down at the plate to play the pull side back but bring in the backside infielders? Just prolong innings.
Also have to give it up to 14red. Three SB tonite, as the radio crew said the had 3 in the previous 57 games. David Bell is back in the mgr of the year voting.

Last edited:
They're going to be 5-6 games out of the WC by the end of the weekend with the way things are going. What a disaster.

Votto's 9th inning error allows winning run to score...... the base runner who scored also reached on an error.

This team is choking big time and I doubt they finish above .500

Votto's 9th inning error allows winning run to score...... the base runner who scored also reached on an error.

This team is choking big time and I doubt they finish above .500
It will be unlikely to finish above .500 if they keep losing every series. They may get swept by the Pirates.

Reds would have to go 6-10 rest of the way to finish at .500.

It's possible, but 4-12 is just as likely the way they are playing now.

Good news for Reds fans, Bucs haven’t sweep a series all year. 0-13 in final games. Anyone think if the meltdown continues Bell loses his job?

Good news for Reds fans, Bucs haven’t sweep a series all year. 0-13 in final games. Anyone think if the meltdown continues Bell loses his job?
Sounds like their due.

Personally I think Bell has done a good job with a bullpen that is terrible. The starters are coming back to reality as well and since Winker departed the offense stinks. You put the blame for all that on Bell?

No, the good news for Reds fans is that in a few years they will be able to be out from under the ridiculous contracts they have signed. The next couple of years we will get to see some new and exciting prospects and maybe be in contention again in 5-6 years. Wash, rinse and repeat

Sounds like their due.

Personally I think Bell has done a good job with a bullpen that is terrible. The starters are coming back to reality as well and since Winker departed the offense stinks. You put the blame for all that on Bell?
Just wondered what fans thoughts were. I don’t follow the Reds that closely to know if Bell is to blame. There are certainly organizations, in all sports, that pull the trigger quickly on coaches and managers when expectations aren’t met.

Just wondered what fans thoughts were. I don’t follow the Reds that closely to know if Bell is to blame. There are certainly organizations, in all sports, that pull the trigger quickly on coaches and managers when expectations aren’t met.
My understanding is that Bell's contract is up after this season with the organization and they have an option on him for 2022 and have not exercised that option yet. Anyone missing Dusty yet?

The Reds pretty much lost on a Little League Play. Is David Bell Baseballs version of Marvin Lewis?
How do you mean? Marvin got the Bengals back to respectability but could not win a playoff game. Soon as he was let go the team went strait into the toilet and earned the #1 pick of the draft. Made it appear Marvin was actually pretty good at his job.

I've was very critical of Bell last year, and IMO he has been better this year. But as I posted a few pages back, he has fallen back into his old habits of living and dying (mostly dying) on the lefty / righty matchup thing since the roster expanded. And he has definitely panicked a few times during this losing stretch:
- playing the infield in in the 3rd inning, as another poster mentioned above
- using 4 pinch hitters in the 4th inning just for lefty/righty pitching change

Not sure if he gets the axe this year if the Reds skid continues. I put most of it on players not performing down the stretch.

So blame the only guy that's hitting?? Do you know how baseball is played?
Suarez? You’re going to hang your hat on a dude that since signing his big contract is down across the board in all his stats and trending even further down?

Willie Cunningham had a great idea from his wife today. She said why dont the Reds just stop playing, and see if they can back into the playoffs. Her idea was when they were 12 games over .500 perhaps no one could match that level. Well, it's too late. After losing 7 series in a row ( already counting the series with Pittsburgh in that number) they will either have to win 66% of games here on out or sit at home while a clutch team like St Louis gets to see if they got hot at the right time.

I dont think they deserve a spot when they lose as many consecutive series as they have.

But just wait till next year.
Anything from Willie, or his wife is pure schtick. Now the Reds can't control what they've done, but they can control the games moving forward. The two teams they are behind are playing each other this weekend, so you just have to stay close enough to get through the Dodger series and not be 4-5 games out. As bleak as it looks, this is still dooable. I'd guess you'll see Winker back in the lineup this weekend.

Suarez? You’re going to hang your hat on a dude that since signing his big contract is down across the board in all his stats and trending even further down?
I'm not hanging my hat on anything...the point was that Suarez - as bad of a season he's had - is the team's leading hitter in the month of September. That's the point.

I'm not hanging my hat on anything...the point was that Suarez - as bad of a season he's had - is the team's leading hitter in the month of September. That's the point.
And my point was that’s why they are losing, if your best hitter is hitting .175 you got troubles

I've was very critical of Bell last year, and IMO he has been better this year. But as I posted a few pages back, he has fallen back into his old habits of living and dying (mostly dying) on the lefty / righty matchup thing since the roster expanded. And he has definitely panicked a few times during this losing stretch:
- playing the infield in in the 3rd inning, as another poster mentioned above
- using 4 pinch hitters in the 4th inning just for lefty/righty pitching change

Not sure if he gets the axe this year if the Reds skid continues. I put most of it on players not performing down the stretch.
I'm always going to put it on the players because they are the ones succeeding or failing. I'm not a fan of Bell's managerial style. Way too bland. I understand the 162 game grind and not being too high and low. But there is little to no energy that come from the Bell. Also, the constant meddling of the lineup drive me nuts. Way too much lefty / righty switching around.

Case in point, the other night Tucker Barnhart got a big hit to get us into the game vs. the Pirates. His spot comes up the next time, he's pinch hit for. Now I realize it's probably one of those rightly lefty situations, but what does that do for a player who is grinding, and accomplishes something, only to get pulled the next opportunity that comes up? It's not like we have a bunch of guys on the bench that are great hitters. When your team is struggling and you finally get a hit, can't you at least give the hot hand a chance to succeed again?

They had lost their last 19 games played on Wednesday....... well.... the cure for that was the REDS.

I'm always going to put it on the players because they are the ones succeeding or failing. I'm not a fan of Bell's managerial style. Way too bland. I understand the 162 game grind and not being too high and low. But there is little to no energy that come from the Bell. Also, the constant meddling of the lineup drive me nuts. Way too much lefty / righty switching around.

Case in point, the other night Tucker Barnhart got a big hit to get us into the game vs. the Pirates. His spot comes up the next time, he's pinch hit for. Now I realize it's probably one of those rightly lefty situations, but what does that do for a player who is grinding, and accomplishes something, only to get pulled the next opportunity that comes up? It's not like we have a bunch of guys on the bench that are great hitters. When your team is struggling and you finally get a hit, can't you at least give the hot hand a chance to succeed again?
Who would your "energy" manager be? You always say he shows no emotion yet he lead the league in ejections the last two years and is one behind the leader this year. Your main complaint with Bell is that he doesn't bash his players in the media.

Who would your "energy" manager be? You always say he shows no emotion yet he lead the league in ejections the last two years and is one behind the leader this year. Your main complaint with Bell is that he doesn't bash his players in the media.
I wouldn't say that's my main complaint, but it is one of them. And let's not confuse bashing for holding the players accountable. And this may be an "old school" / "new school" philosophy that I just don't get. I'll use a guy who was pretty successful as a manager, and who was both had his player's backs, because he was one, and a guy who would get after a player. Lou Pinella. Now if you recall, Lou would have closed door meetings with struggling clubs and it wasn't pleasant and everyone knew about it because it was reported. Now I'm not saying that once a week you're tearing players down, that doesn't work. But for Bell, in any presser or any interview you can almost guarantee these will be said...
"Yea, that was a tough game"
"Yea, we played hard"
"Yea, we're going to turn it around, I know it"

That's ok for about the first 40 losses.

Also let's look at the ejections a little closer, what's the main theme? I about 90% of the ones I recall, he's out there either keeping a player from being ejected, or putting on a show to back his player and get ejected himself. That's simply following the leader. And if I'm not mistaken, that's the ONLY time we see any kind of emotion from the guy. Our batters get hit more than most other teams in baseball, and he doesn't seem to care about that.

Major league baseball managers have changed drastically over the last 40 years. In the 70's and 80's you could name the managers for each team because they were likely the manager for more than year or two, and it was the unquestioned leader of the team. I really struggle naming the manager for a third of major league baseball teams.

12-3 to end the year. He's the glue that holds this club together.
If the Reds go 12-3 due to Winker, I'll deem you the ultimate Reds fan. If we go 9-6 the rest of the way, we may squeak in. The Cardinals HAVE to cool off at some point, that team simply isn't that good.

If the Reds go 12-3 due to Winker, I'll deem you the ultimate Reds fan. If we go 9-6 the rest of the way, we may squeak in. The Cardinals HAVE to cool off at some point, that team simply isn't that good.
When a team has anchors like Arenado, Molina and Goldschmidt, and really good young players like O'Neill, Carlson and Edman, it is foolish to say they aren't that good. O'Neill is more or less Winker's equivalent. Their pitching is equivalent to the Reds. They are legit. I hope the Padres can beat them once this weekend. And hopefully the Brewers can cool them off mid-week.

Love seeing Castillo more intense last night - when he has command and some intensity, there are not many teams that will hit him. 3 of the 5 Dodger hits were little dribblers. Farmer was huge. Great W.

Bell's pre-game metrics analysis for lineup decision:

- Moustakas career BA vs. Scherzer is .154
- Suarez hit GW HR off Scherzer in May in a 2-1 game
- Moustakas batting .189 with zero HR in Sept
- Suarez batting .364 in Sept with 3 HR
- Decision: lefty/righty matchup! Moose plays. What a ding-a-ling