The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

That is unlikely IMO. that would require an 82-80 record. I just don't see them having any fight left in them as clearly the race is over. I predict 80-81 wins.

3-6 =81/81. That's right where they have been playing for the last week or two. 4-5 would be overachieving at this point.
The Reds haven't played well the last month, that's for sure. But it's not or ever been due to lack of effort? The team is has faults, but playing hard hasn't been one of them this season. They have 81 wins with 6 games to go.

The Reds haven't played well the last month, that's for sure. But it's not or ever been due to lack of effort? The team is has faults, but playing hard hasn't been one of them this season. They have 81 wins with 6 games to go.
Yep, one more win and they have a winning season.

I'm probably in the minority but I like the Bell contract extension.

Yep, one more win and they have a winning season.

I'm probably in the minority but I like the Bell contract extension.
There has been more support for Bell than I figured, and I'd say it's about 50/50 right now. I'm not in agreement with the Bell extension. But it doesn't bother me too much. I just don't like his lax demeanor, and I know that's kind of the way guys are now. I'd like to see more pep from the manager. I'm ok with a guy being a "players" manager, but what happens when times go bad? I suppose I'm going to have to just give up on the continued emphasis of "analytics" in baseball. Many point to this as the way the game is played now, to that I say it certainly doesn't have to be.

Considering all the "above average" seasons and surprises we've had this season, this team has underperformed, IMO. This team is sitting on 81 wins today, and with any consistency they could easily have 10 more wins and be in the think of things.

Over/ Under on Reds attendance today.... day game, rescheduled make up with the Pirates.... 3,000? 4,000?

There has been more support for Bell than I figured, and I'd say it's about 50/50 right now. I'm not in agreement with the Bell extension. But it doesn't bother me too much. I just don't like his lax demeanor, and I know that's kind of the way guys are now. I'd like to see more pep from the manager. I'm ok with a guy being a "players" manager, but what happens when times go bad? I suppose I'm going to have to just give up on the continued emphasis of "analytics" in baseball. Many point to this as the way the game is played now, to that I say it certainly doesn't have to be.

Considering all the "above average" seasons and surprises we've had this season, this team has underperformed, IMO. This team is sitting on 81 wins today, and with any consistency they could easily have 10 more wins and be in the think of things.
We all know you wish Bell had more entertaining press conferences, you have told us this repeatedly. That's not how I judge managers. My personal opinion, Bell would have graded about a D+ or C- before 2021, and I would probably give him a B- now. I feel like he improved in several ways, until September, when he fell back into his lefty/righty match-up habits from the past.

At the start of the year, several of the posters on this thread predicted 70-75 wins. More realistic people had the Reds right about .500. And now people want to cry "under-performed"?? The team definitely under-performed in September, after they raised all our expectations with a great stretch in July/August. But they are going to finish with a better record than almost all of us predicted.

Better than expected this season: Votto, India, Stephenson, Mahle, Miley, Farmer, Winker, Naquin
About as expected: Barnhart, Castellanos
Worse than expected: Moustakas, Suarez, Shogo, Aquino, Castillo, Gray, Garrett, Hoffman (and most of the bullpen guys not listed)
Too injured to contribute as expected: Senzel, Antone, Lorenzen

Well, the Reds made it to Sept 28th before being mathematically eliminated. They lasted longer than expected.

Those Cardinals though, 17 wins in a row down the stretch. Not sure I would bet against them in the playoffs. Man I hate them.

We'll have alot of time to digest and regurgitate the 2021 season. I think for many Reds fans, a team around or above .500 was about the target. While the Reds had a very favorable schedule down the stretch and didn't take care of their own business, it may have not mattered as the Cardinals have had a historic September. Now some of hear about the "Cardinal way" and there's some truth to that. And we certainly don't like them, but they have to earn some respect from their opponents. The Cardinals seem to have players who buy into the team concept, they seem to have guys come up from the minors ready to contribute and they rarely fail. The did go acquire Goldschmidt and Arrenado, but largely their team is all home grown talent and are grinders. They've got some team speed and are able to manufacture runs. They don't have an above average pitching staff or bullpen, but they just execute and play good baseball.

One of my pet peeves with the Reds current state is the lack of urgency to win. This came up again last night. I'm not sure who they think they're fooling, but you pretty much send the message to everyone you're not in it to win it when you bring up multiple guys in the last few weeks to make major league debuts.

We'll have alot of time to digest and regurgitate the 2021 season. I think for many Reds fans, a team around or above .500 was about the target. While the Reds had a very favorable schedule down the stretch and didn't take care of their own business, it may have not mattered as the Cardinals have had a historic September. Now some of hear about the "Cardinal way" and there's some truth to that. And we certainly don't like them, but they have to earn some respect from their opponents. The Cardinals seem to have players who buy into the team concept, they seem to have guys come up from the minors ready to contribute and they rarely fail. The did go acquire Goldschmidt and Arrenado, but largely their team is all home grown talent and are grinders. They've got some team speed and are able to manufacture runs. They don't have an above average pitching staff or bullpen, but they just execute and play good baseball.

One of my pet peeves with the Reds current state is the lack of urgency to win. This came up again last night. I'm not sure who they think they're fooling, but you pretty much send the message to everyone you're not in it to win it when you bring up multiple guys in the last few weeks to make major league debuts.
I respect the Cardinals, certainly. They win with a good mix of players. But do not try to make them into Tampa or Oakland, they are on a different level than Cincy in terms of revenue and payroll. The MLB average team salary is $130M. The Reds are slightly below that at $125M, while the Cards are 9th highest at $169M.

And do not trivialize their acquisitions of Arenado and Goldschmidt. Goldschmidt makes $21M (1M more than Votto). Arenado makes $35M, 4th highest in the MLB. Mikolas ($16M) and Carpenter ($18.5M) also make more than Castellano ($14M), who is the 2nd highest paid Red. And the Reds may not be able to re-sign Castellanos. It is definitely a less than level playing field, salary-wise.

My opinion is that the Reds are pretty close to both the Brewers and Cardinals in talent. A horrible season by our 5 hitter has hurt this club as well as the bullpen. I'm encouraged by the month of September by Saurez, yet I'm discouraged how ineffective Guiterrez has been the past month or longer. Sorry if i mangled that name, LOL.
Two outfield spots remain open in my opinion. Winker and ? Aquino and Akiyama are not the answers. I personally hold out hope for Senzel, as maybe we get him for a couple of seasons with something to prove so maybe that leaves RF as the ?
Get some value for Farmer or Barrero tho the rook looks like the real deal.
To me keeping Barnhart is key. Is a tremendous influence on our stud in training catcher plus handles the staff very well.
Not a fan of Bell but had no idea who could be the cavalry.

Overall still not too bullish on the Reds, best case seems like a couple of games over 0.500 and the Central title.

However, so far there does seem to be enough to keep my interest. The first two games were both pretty intriguing given that neither were close.

Let's hope that India's progress is a storyline worth following all year.

All in all I think it is probably more fun to follow a team where the pitching lets you down (most likely scenario this year) vs. one that can't score runs (2020 Reds).
This was my take about six months ago. Obviously did not expect any of the Central teams to compile the number of wins that MIL and STL did.

India was one of the best stories all year long.

All in all, following the Reds was good fun until a couple of weeks ago.

My opinion is that the Reds are pretty close to both the Brewers and Cardinals in talent. A horrible season by our 5 hitter has hurt this club as well as the bullpen. I'm encouraged by the month of September by Saurez, yet I'm discouraged how ineffective Guiterrez has been the past month or longer. Sorry if i mangled that name, LOL.
Two outfield spots remain open in my opinion. Winker and ? Aquino and Akiyama are not the answers. I personally hold out hope for Senzel, as maybe we get him for a couple of seasons with something to prove so maybe that leaves RF as the ?
To me keeping Barnhart is key. Is a tremendous influence on our stud in training catcher plus handles the staff very well.
I agree with your talent assessment of the top 3 Central teams - pretty darn close. The difference is that Milwaukee's top starting pitchers had great years, and Castillo, Gray did not, and for the Cardinals they went most of the year without their top 2 starters. Of course Milwaukee's bullpen was great, and the Reds and Cards were mostly bad.

As for next year:
- I love Barnhart. This year he is at $4.1M. Club option for next year is $7.5M (making him the 7th highest paid catcher). I just don't think the Reds will do that for his offensive production. I'm guessing we will see Stephenson catch 130+ games next year, with an inexpensive backup. And I'm OK with that, kid showed a lot of ability this year.

- Votto and India nail down the right side of the infield - very strong there. Left side is up in the air.

- For SS, Farmer is only 640K per year, and still team controlled for 3 more arbitration years. I'm sure he becomes more expensive via arbitration after this season, but he belongs on this team and won't cost too much. But Barrero has to play, maybe SS or maybe CF.

- For 3B, would you prefer .204, 6 HR, 22 RBI for $16M, or .192, 30 HR, 77 RBI for $11M ? Pretty easy choice. Suarez looked like his old self in September; more contact and hitting the other way. I wish Moose would just retire, then the Reds could afford Castellanos. But why retire when you can make $16M and $18M the next 2 years?

- OF is certainly Winker plus 2 question marks, I agree with you. If Senzel is 100%, he probably gets CF by default, but they may convert Barrero there. Most important thing this offseason is the Castellanos decision. I really doubt he stays, but holding on to hope. If he doesn't, maybe the Reds keep Naquin, he is still arbitration eligible (and cheap) so team controlled. He had a great year. Friedl also looked good this month.

I respect the Cardinals, certainly. They win with a good mix of players. But do not try to make them into Tampa or Oakland, they are on a different level than Cincy in terms of revenue and payroll. The MLB average team salary is $130M. The Reds are slightly below that at $125M, while the Cards are 9th highest at $169M.

And do not trivialize their acquisitions of Arenado and Goldschmidt. Goldschmidt makes $21M (1M more than Votto). Arenado makes $35M, 4th highest in the MLB. Mikolas ($16M) and Carpenter ($18.5M) also make more than Castellano ($14M), who is the 2nd highest paid Red. And the Reds may not be able to re-sign Castellanos. It is definitely a less than level playing field, salary-wise.
No doubt, the Cardinals have Un-Cardinaled themselves with player acquisions, and honsestly, before this 17 game win streak, we could criticize them for it. Nearly every team is capable of going on long win streaks and it does happen. The Cardinals timing this year was phenonimal. That said they could get dumped in a one game playoff and it all be over. A short win streak in May or June may have got them the division.

Best thing from this past few weeks for the Reds was Castellanos comments to Jim Day yesterday. This was his "happiest season" in his baseball career. Talked about how his wife and kid loved Cincinnati. That has to count for something. C'mon back for more Nick!

I feel the Reds are as good or better than the Brewers and Cardinals in talent. Our starting pitching while mostly healthy and decent was still a downer in my opinion. Gray, Castillo and Mahle are still good but not great pitchers. We are light years ahead were we were 5 years ago, but nowhere near the rotation from early in the decade. Also we need to stop this silly thinking that starters only go 5-6 innings. Putting a relevant bullpen together may be one of the most difficult things to do in sports because you're trying to put together failed started in successful one inning roles. There's reasons bullpen guys are bullpen guys, they are failed starters. Therefore, you need to have starters 6-7-8 innings instead of 5-6. Puts way too much pressure on bullpen guys. Especially if you're not going to use bullpen guys every day.

We'll have months to dissect the current season, but here are some key taking points...

Negatives -
- Bullpen/ the bullpen was an issue from the jump, Tejay Antone was good for a good chunk of the season, then the elbow gave way. He's done until 2023. We tried to piece together parts but with Lorenzen missing most of the first 4 months, Amir Garrett and Sean Doolittle's ineffectiveness were killers for this team in April May and June.
- the experiment putting Geno at short was an epic failure. You had a shortstop in camp to go to and we tried to get cute putting a 3rd baseman at short and it blew up.
- Nick Senzel - I'm ready to move on from him. We've waited and waited for this kid and he can's stay healthy, and honestly even in the short spurts he's play, he's been pretty average for a #1 pick. We can't wait on him anymore.
- starters, our starters were good, but not great. Castillo, Gray and Mahle should be better. A the start of the season I felt we had a couple of #1's and a #2, but reality is we may just have a bunch of #3, #4's in our rotation.

Positives -
-Jonathan India - incredible find. He's now our 2nd baseman and leadoff man for years to come. He's made Mike Moustakas expendable. But the contract is an issue.
-Joey Votto - most of us were just waiting on the day the club would have to make the difficult decision to move Joey Votto off the team due to ineffectiveness. He became the Votto of old and the next few years look alot better.
- Nick Castellenos - he had an MVP season at a time when he can really cash in. I realize there is alot of banter of trying to keep him, but I just don't see him and agent Scott Borros taking that big of a hometown cut for this team.
- Winker - great season - he's our left fielder for the future now. Injury bug continues to plague him.
- Barnhart/ Stephenson combo at catcher was great. Unfortunately it's a luxury we can't really afford. I'd go to Tucker and see if we could restructure him for 2-3 years at $10-$12 mill, I just can't keep him next season for $7-$8 mill.
-there are many more positives that I won't mention now.

Best thing from this past few weeks for the Reds was Castellanos comments to Jim Day yesterday. This was his "happiest season" in his baseball career. Talked about how his wife and kid loved Cincinnati. That has to count for something. C'mon back for more Nick!
I will be shocked - albeit pleasantly shocked, if Castellenos comes back. His agent is Scott Boros and he's not a team friendly guy to work with. His wife and kid love Cincy, but this isn't about them. And the Reds will be looked at by many fans as cheap and not willing to pay players. I just don't see the Reds competing for him. Look, Castellenos can go to another team that has better opportunities to win. You name it, the Phillies, the Dodgers, the Angels, the Astros, even the Cardinals and he's going to not only make more money, but have a better chance to win.

I will be shocked - albeit pleasantly shocked, if Castellenos comes back. His agent is Scott Boros and he's not a team friendly guy to work with. His wife and kid love Cincy, but this isn't about them. And the Reds will be looked at by many fans as cheap and not willing to pay players. I just don't see the Reds competing for him. Look, Castellenos can go to another team that has better opportunities to win. You name it, the Phillies, the Dodgers, the Angels, the Astros, even the Cardinals and he's going to not only make more money, but have a better chance to win.
Not sure where to start with this mess. The beginning, I guess...

I understand about Boros, but if you think the bold sentence is true, you are probably single or divorced. Nick seems to be a genuine family man, and probably factors his family's happiness into his career decisions. Decent people do that.

If you think the Phillies (82-80, with 6th highest payroll in MLB, minimal minor league prospects) and Angels (77-85 with 7th highest payroll) have a better chance to win than the Reds, you have not been paying attention.

At $14M salary in 2021, Castellanos is the 16th highest paid outfielder. He probably deserves to be top 10. Some of the guys ahead of him are older guys who do not belong there.
- Heyward - Cubs - LOL
- Upton - Angels - on hook for $28M next year - LOL
- Pollock - Dodgers - big pay cut in 2022
- McCutcheon - Phillies - contract ends this year
- Fowler - Angels - contract ends this year
- Bellinger - Dodgers - arbitration this year, likely big pay cut coming based on performance

Castellanos' contract takes him to $16M in 2022, which is about a 15% raise, and puts him at about 10th-12th in the OF salary rankings. Pretty strong. If he opts out, it is because the contract holds him at $16M in 2023, and the $20M in 2024 is a mutual option. So I don't think the 2022 salary is an issue, but he likely will want more long term security.

So the Reds have some decisions to make obviously. 2022 is the tough year, salary-wise. Miley is on the books for $10M, Shogo for $8M. Both of those go away in 2023. Gray gets $10M in 2022 and club option in 2023 for $12M. Assume all 3 of those are gone in 2023, if not sooner. Moose's contract is the boat anchor dragging this ship down.

If I'm the Reds, I'm thinking that Joey's big deal goes away after 2 more years (club option in 2024). Castellanos is the perfect guy to build around and invest in - 29 years old, plays hard every day, and a great hitter. This is the guy they should try to sign for 5-6 years at a slightly above market price - invest in him and build around him. When Joey's contract ends, and the dead weight guys listed above come off the books, you will be able to pay Winker and Castillo as their arbitration years end in 2024. Still have more time for India and Stephenson. These are the core guys to build around...

Not sure where to start with this mess. The beginning, I guess...

I understand about Boros, but if you think the bold sentence is true, you are probably single or divorced. Nick seems to be a genuine family man, and probably factors his family's happiness into his career decisions. Decent people do that.

If you think the Phillies (82-80, with 6th highest payroll in MLB, minimal minor league prospects) and Angels (77-85 with 7th highest payroll) have a better chance to win than the Reds, you have not been paying attention.

At $14M salary in 2021, Castellanos is the 16th highest paid outfielder. He probably deserves to be top 10. Some of the guys ahead of him are older guys who do not belong there.
- Heyward - Cubs - LOL
- Upton - Angels - on hook for $28M next year - LOL
- Pollock - Dodgers - big pay cut in 2022
- McCutcheon - Phillies - contract ends this year
- Fowler - Angels - contract ends this year
- Bellinger - Dodgers - arbitration this year, likely big pay cut coming based on performance

Castellanos' contract takes him to $16M in 2022, which is about a 15% raise, and puts him at about 10th-12th in the OF salary rankings. Pretty strong. If he opts out, it is because the contract holds him at $16M in 2023, and the $20M in 2024 is a mutual option. So I don't think the 2022 salary is an issue, but he likely will want more long term security.

So the Reds have some decisions to make obviously. 2022 is the tough year, salary-wise. Miley is on the books for $10M, Shogo for $8M. Both of those go away in 2023. Gray gets $10M in 2022 and club option in 2023 for $12M. Assume all 3 of those are gone in 2023, if not sooner. Moose's contract is the boat anchor dragging this ship down.

If I'm the Reds, I'm thinking that Joey's big deal goes away after 2 more years (club option in 2024). Castellanos is the perfect guy to build around and invest in - 29 years old, plays hard every day, and a great hitter. This is the guy they should try to sign for 5-6 years at a slightly above market price - invest in him and build around him. When Joey's contract ends, and the dead weight guys listed above come off the books, you will be able to pay Winker and Castillo as their arbitration years end in 2024. Still have more time for India and Stephenson. These are the core guys to build around...
Oh Wolves...I'm not going to sink your ship, but just provide some balance. And just so you know, I'm happily married and been that way for over 30 years. I'm not saying Nick isn't genuine, but that's exactly what a person should say when he's courting 30 major league baseball teams, including the one he has the most leverage, his current team. Believe it if you want, but just be leary.

If you base the next several years on this season, than your 100% correct and the Reds should build with him. BUT...do you want him to be on your list in a few years with the guys you have listed...Heyward, Upton, Pollock, McCutcheon, etc. My opinion is the Reds simply cannot risk that.
In my world, I don't bring back Miley or Shogo. I'm ok with brining Sonny back but I need more innings from him. Moose's contract is awful and I don't know what you do with him.

Oh Wolves...I'm not going to sink your ship, but just provide some balance. And just so you know, I'm happily married and been that way for over 30 years. I'm not saying Nick isn't genuine, but that's exactly what a person should say when he's courting 30 major league baseball teams, including the one he has the most leverage, his current team. Believe it if you want, but just be leary.

If you base the next several years on this season, than your 100% correct and the Reds should build with him. BUT...do you want him to be on your list in a few years with the guys you have listed...Heyward, Upton, Pollock, McCutcheon, etc. My opinion is the Reds simply cannot risk that.
In my world, I don't bring back Miley or Shogo. I'm ok with brining Sonny back but I need more innings from him. Moose's contract is awful and I don't know what you do with him.
Castellanos has hit every where he has played. I'd pay him build around him.

What does "I don't bring back Miley or Shogo" mean ? They have contracts. You going to pay them but not have them on the team?

If you get rid of any of the players under contract they are gonna have to be willing to eat a portion(probably large) of that contract. I see no reason to get rid of Miley as no team can ever have enough pitching. He stunk down the stretch but he had a good year. Saurez returns at 3b and I'm up in the air on the SS position. Farmer was great but I'm afraid its a one year thing. The rookie's time has come. I still say Senzel is going nowhere and will not command much money in arbitration. I'm also on the side of Barnhart returning as well. He's from Brownsburg, IN and you know would love to stay in this area.
With Nick C. I have no clue, obviously would love to see him return at whatever the front office deems prudent.
As I've stated repeatedly, I like the starting pitching and without that, a club has no chance to be successful. If they could package any group of players not named India, Stephenson or Winker for another 4th/5th starter that just makes the club better and our pitchers competing for innings.

Castellanos has hit every where he has played. I'd pay him build around him.

What does "I don't bring back Miley or Shogo" mean ? They have contracts. You going to pay them but not have them on the team?
My bad, poor communication. As I understand, doesn't Miley have $1 mill club option? I would pay the mill and let him walk, or negotiate a much lower salary. Shogo, looks like we're stuck with him. I'm not for paying him $8 mill to not play for us.

If you get rid of any of the players under contract they are gonna have to be willing to eat a portion(probably large) of that contract. I see no reason to get rid of Miley as no team can ever have enough pitching. He stunk down the stretch but he had a good year. Saurez returns at 3b and I'm up in the air on the SS position. Farmer was great but I'm afraid its a one year thing. The rookie's time has come. I still say Senzel is going nowhere and will not command much money in arbitration. I'm also on the side of Barnhart returning as well. He's from Brownsburg, IN and you know would love to stay in this area.
With Nick C. I have no clue, obviously would love to see him return at whatever the front office deems prudent.
As I've stated repeatedly, I like the starting pitching and without that, a club has no chance to be successful. If they could package any group of players not named India, Stephenson or Winker for another 4th/5th starter that just makes the club better and our pitchers competing for innings.
I may eat these words but I'm really ok with our starting pitching, with or without Miley. I'm just really resistant giving a 35 year old soft tosser who's had a history of injuries that much. If we're the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and money is no object ok. Also Hunter Green and Nick Lodolo will likely be in the rotation my mid 2022. Vlad Gutierrez has a spot in my rotation with Sonny and Castillo. We can find another starter, don't think the club has given up on Jeff Hoffman as a starter.

My bad, poor communication. As I understand, doesn't Miley have $1 mill club option? I would pay the mill and let him walk, or negotiate a much lower salary. Shogo, looks like we're stuck with him. I'm not for paying him $8 mill to not play for us.
Ah yes, thats right, Miley does have the $1M buyout. I would write that check today, instead of paying him $10M next year. Put the $9M saved in the Nick C. fund. Gotta assume Greene and/or Lodolo are in the rotation next year.

I may eat these words but I'm really ok with our starting pitching, with or without Miley. I'm just really resistant giving a 35 year old soft tosser who's had a history of injuries that much. If we're the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and money is no object ok. Also Hunter Green and Nick Lodolo will likely be in the rotation my mid 2022. Vlad Gutierrez has a spot in my rotation with Sonny and Castillo. We can find another starter, don't think the club has given up on Jeff Hoffman as a starter.
I pray they've given up on Hoffman as a starter. Unless he is starting in AAA.

Agreed it is Barrero's time.

I'm also on the side of Barnhart returning, but it is unlikely. His salary nearly doubles next year, so it doesn't matter if he was born in the locker room in Riverfront Stadium. The Reds will likely not exercise their club option at that price. It is Stephenson's time also.

Ah yes, thats right, Miley does have the $1M buyout. I would write that check today, instead of paying him $10M next year. Put the $9M saved in the Nick C. fund. Gotta assume Greene and/or Lodolo are in the rotation next year.
You write the check, and I'll stop by, pick it up and hand deliver it to Bob Castellini. I think you may have a puncher's chance of working with Miley on a lesser deal, he made $8 this year, I don't think he'll get much play elsewhere. I'd start low, maybe offer him $8 over two years with an option for a 3rd, I can't imagine he's got much left in the tank. Also understand that while Greene and Lodolo will likely be in the rotation in 2022, they will be part time starters at the best. We coddle these guys so much these days. To think Greene will lead us into the playoffs is a pipe dream. I bet he'll be lucky to go 110 innings next season, even healthy.

I pray they've given up on Hoffman as a starter. Unless he is starting in AAA.
I think you're going to have to take some risks next season, especially if you want to fund the Castellenos fund. YOu'll have to go on the cheap for #4/ #5 starters, the bullpen and possibly other places. I do the same with Tucker as Miley, I try like heck to restructure him. I don't know that I ever see Stephenson catching more than 100 games, I think that's counterproductive to his long term career. I'd love to keep Tucker as more of full time catcher and use Stephenson catching and to spell Joey. I think we really need to back Joey down more. He loves to play every day but there has to be more off days for Joey the next few years. I think he's seeing the benefits to it.
I do think Tucker will get some offers elsewhere. He's great defensively and in the clubhouse and with pitchers. And he's hitting enough now to justify.

I think you're going to have to take some risks next season, especially if you want to fund the Castellenos fund. YOu'll have to go on the cheap for #4/ #5 starters, the bullpen and possibly other places. I do the same with Tucker as Miley, I try like heck to restructure him. I don't know that I ever see Stephenson catching more than 100 games, I think that's counterproductive to his long term career. I'd love to keep Tucker as more of full time catcher and use Stephenson catching and to spell Joey. I think we really need to back Joey down more. He loves to play every day but there has to be more off days for Joey the next few years. I think he's seeing the benefits to it.
I do think Tucker will get some offers elsewhere. He's great defensively and in the clubhouse and with pitchers. And he's hitting enough now to justify.
All starters are back and under control. Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Guiterrez and Miley. Add in Greene, think Lodolo will begin at AAA. That's why I said offer Miley/Guiterrez/Hoffman or anyone not named India or Stephenson and see what can happen. The majority of clubs are searching for starting pitching and we have some. I have no clue how it works but all of those guys are under contract but no way you part with Mahle, Gray or Castillo.
They have screwed this up in the past(Bailey over Cueto)hoping it works this time.

Agreed that Castillo, Gray and Mahle are locks for 1-3 in the rotation. Between Gutierrez, Greene and Lodolo we have 4-5 covered, with an occasional bullpen or Hoffman start. I vote to exercise the club option and tell Miley goodby, save the $9 million for Castellanos and/or a replacement free agent OF bat.

All starters are back and under control. Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Guiterrez and Miley. Add in Greene, think Lodolo will begin at AAA. That's why I said offer Miley/Guiterrez/Hoffman or anyone not named India or Stephenson and see what can happen. The majority of clubs are searching for starting pitching and we have some. I have no clue how it works but all of those guys are under contract but no way you part with Mahle, Gray or Castillo.
They have screwed this up in the past(Bailey over Cueto)hoping it works this time.
I'm not going to say the Bailey / Cueto decision worked out, but I think you have to take a deeper dive into the circumstances. Up until 2014, Homer had been pretty healthy and had a nice upward track. Cueto on the other hand had some injury issues, both were the same age. At that point if you had to pick one, I think Homer was the safer bet. Now certainly no one can forecast injuries, and as soon as Homer signed the long deal, his injuries just started mounting. Cueto meanwhile, had the championship run in KC, but he's been often injured and paid a ton of money to not pitch much since.
I don't think you'd get much interest in Miley, or Hoffman. Guiterez is cheap, I wouldn't send him away yet. He's going to get ample opportunity to pitch in Cincy next season.

Any Reds fans out there following the playoffs? One thing that seems pretty consistent, bullpens are bullpens. I know we gave ours alot of crap, but most teams are in the same boat. Guys either have a funky delivery, or they just throw as hard as they can on every pitch.