The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

What will payroll look like?
There's a lot of talent being released by teams to save a little money.

What will payroll look like?
There's a lot of talent being released by teams to save a little money.
I think you are going to see a lot of bargains in February and March next season. Teams lost tons of money this year, so unless a guy is under contract, you may just let him go, not even go to arbitration and pick up similar talent for pennies to the dollar in the spring. The Reds can find a very serviceable shortstop for one year.

On thing is for sure, they are not going to add any payroll.
Why not? Castellini is very competitive and is 79 years old. He wants to win a WS Title badly. Yes baseball struggled financially this year. However, Castellini owns Castellini Produce which has done extremely well during the Pandemic. The Reds ownership should be well positioned to grab some cheap, elite talent and make a run at the title.

I’m not holding my breath but wouldn’t it be great to bring back Bauer?
Depends on the price.

A different approach might be to move Iglesias or Lorenzen to the rotation to replace Bauer and replacing them with Brad Hand who was released and passed thru waivers because his 10.5M salary was deemed to expensive. He might be signed for 5-6M.
The Indians are asking for a haul for Lindor but they'll likely take any offer to get his salary off the books. If the Reds are willing to maintain the same payroll as 2020 it is conceivable to replace Bauer's salary with Lindor and Hand.

Why not? Castellini is very competitive and is 79 years old. He wants to win a WS Title badly. Yes baseball struggled financially this year. However, Castellini owns Castellini Produce which has done extremely well during the Pandemic. The Reds ownership should be well positioned to grab some cheap, elite talent and make a run at the title.

I agree with your overall premise that Castellini may well spend to the same level as last year. But I'm curious, where does one find "cheap, elite talent"? Because I cannot think of one player who is elite, cheap, and available. What names are you thinking of?

Or was "cheap, elite talent" a reference to hookers?

I agree with your overall premise that Castellini may well spend to the same level as last year. But I'm curious, where does one find "cheap, elite talent"? Because I cannot think of one player who is elite, cheap, and available. What names are you thinking of?

Or was "cheap, elite talent" a reference to hookers?
I'd consider Hand to be elite talent. He passed thru waivers at $10.5M. He should go for less than that. If you can move Iglesias or Lorenzen to the rotation to replace Bauer and sign Hand for the pen, that would be a significant savings while likely not reducing your starting rotation significantly. Obviously it is step down to lose a Cy Young caliber SP but that is a very good rotation still while maintaining the bullpen.

If teams weren't willing to pick up a 3 time all star closer for 10.5M, I doubt they will be willing to trade for Lindors' $21M salary while giving up elite prospects. Cleveland is clearly desperate to shed payroll. They'll end up moving Lindor for a small return IMO.

We may see this play out across baseball with a lot of young talent.

I'd like to see the Reds and Votto rework his deal to save some payroll this year and next to upgrade SS and 1B.

I'd consider Hand to be elite talent. He passed thru waivers at $10.5M. He should go for less than that. If you can move Iglesias or Lorenzen to the rotation to replace Bauer and sign Hand for the pen, that would be a significant savings while likely not reducing your starting rotation significantly. Obviously it is step down to lose a Cy Young caliber SP but that is a very good rotation still while maintaining the bullpen.

If teams weren't willing to pick up a 3 time all star closer for 10.5M, I doubt they will be willing to trade for Lindors' $21M salary while giving up elite prospects. Cleveland is clearly desperate to shed payroll. They'll end up moving Lindor for a small return IMO.

We may see this play out across baseball with a lot of young talent.
The ideal scenario is we retain Bauer of course. Definitely agree that I also like Lorenzen in the rotation - he can take Disco's spot.

I think the floor is going to drop on a lot of the middle of the road guys and the Reds can get some cheap talent, but they are not adding a bunch of dollars. The big piece is Bauer. If they can get him back on a one year $30-$35 mill deal that would be great. Don't need anything else. But if they can't get him, the consolation is they can sign probably 3-4-5 other players and keep the payroll flat.

I think the floor is going to drop on a lot of the middle of the road guys and the Reds can get some cheap talent, but they are not adding a bunch of dollars. The big piece is Bauer. If they can get him back on a one year $30-$35 mill deal that would be great. Don't need anything else. But if they can't get him, the consolation is they can sign probably 3-4-5 other players and keep the payroll flat.
This team needs more offense especially at SS and 1B. Spending 35M on Bauer doesn't produce more runs.

He doesn't have to keep playing past his current deal. But a contract could definitely be structured to pay him past his playing days.

I believe if the team presented Votto with a plan to win now...he'd be willing to defer his contract in hopes of getting some sort of Championship in his career. His years are limited and it may be the only way he stands a chance unless he's traded. And with his contract....trade offers aren't popping up

This team needs more offense especially at SS and 1B. Spending 35M on Bauer doesn't produce more runs.
This team can't and won't spend $30-$35M on Bauer (or anyone). I suspect the QO is as high as the Reds will go (~$19M). The question is will some team out there back up the Brinks truck for Bauer for 1 year? Given the COVID uncertainty and prospect of another season of reduced revenue, maybe not. I'm hopeful the market is super soft and our QO is his best deal.

Agreed on needing more offense at SS. And C, but hopefully Stephenson is the answer there. Not sure what you propose at 1B. Pay Votto but sit him? 2020 season he played 54 games, exactly 1/3 of a full season. So if you extrapolate to a full season he would have produced 33 HR with a .354 OBP. Not normal Votto OBP, but what big improvement are you going to make at 1B, and at what cost?

I believe if the team presented Votto with a plan to win now...he'd be willing to defer his contract in hopes of getting some sort of Championship in his career. His years are limited and it may be the only way he stands a chance unless he's traded. And with his contract....trade offers aren't popping up
Exactly.

Cubs announcing yesterday that every player is available for trade.

Baez could come real cheap if you're willing to take on his payroll.

Theo walking came out of nowhere
How desperate are teams to move payroll? Some ownership groups have been hit very hard with losses outside of baseball as well as within. They might be willing to part with real talent along with prospects to entice some team to take on the salary. An owner like Castellini who has done well this year with his core business might be able to buy MLB talent and prospects for non prospects and the willingness to take on salary.

How desperate are teams to move payroll? Some ownership groups have been hit very hard with losses outside of baseball as well as within. They might be willing to part with real talent along with prospects to entice some team to take on the salary. An owner like Castellini who has done well this year with his core business might be able to buy MLB talent and prospects for non prospects and the willingness to take on salary.

i concur, and it is why I am hopeful the Reds can keep Bauer for their QO of $19M. If the Cubs are cash-strapped, most teams are.

i concur, and it is why I am hopeful the Reds can keep Bauer for their QO of $19M. If the Cubs are cash-strapped, most teams are.

Since he's already turned down the QO (as expected), I'd assume he's looking to make a little more than that