The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

wolves82

Interesting schedule this week, especially the weekend.

- Reds @ Pittsburgh (3), host Dodgers (3)
- Padres @ San Fran (4), @ St Louis (3)
- Cards @ Mets (3), host Padres (3)
- Phillies host Cubs (3), @ Mets (3)

14Red

You asked why people were ragging on Brach. I explained it. What he did during a couple good weeks in June has nothing to do with this playoff chase. He has been mostly terrible and should not pitch again unless the Reds are hopelessly behind in a game...
And my point is Bell had used 3 other relief pitchers and was running out of options. At this point in the game you just pull names out of a hat. Sims gave it up Saturday, so what are you going to do? Our bullpen...it is what it is, very, very inconsistent.

14Red

The whole wildcard thing is a bunch of BS to begin with. Baseball is unique as any team can win one game against another. The point of playing 162 games is to separate the best of the bunch for post season series play. Taking the 4th and 5th team after 162 games played and saying 1 more game needs to be played to determine who the 4th playoff team will be is just plain stupid. We are going to likely have a team over 40 games above .500 playing against a team that maybe will be 10 over. Just not right. If MLB wants 5 teams in then play a best of 5 series otherwise do without it.
I agree, but baseball has to keep an eye on the end of the season, the world series. We already compromise the season by playing the first month, and possibly the last few weeks (world series) in non-baseball weather. YOu can't guarantee a team like the Yankees, Red Sox, Twins, Indians, even Reds aren't going to be there and baseball in late October/ early November is not a good thing. So playoff expansion for baseball is limited. you add a 5 game series and you are definitely looking at November baseball because we can't play back to back days...

Now, I would go back to the days with Sunday double headers and compact the schedule. But again all these things have to agree upon by the owners and union. Again fighting over millions of dollars.

wolves82

And my point is Bell had used 3 other relief pitchers and was running out of options. At this point in the game you just pull names out of a hat. Sims gave it up Saturday, so what are you going to do? Our bullpen...it is what it is, very, very inconsistent.
There are 9 guys in the bullpen. Brach should be option #9. Why are you defending a guy with an ERA over 30.00 since August 1?

14Red

There are 9 guys in the bullpen. Brach should be option #9. Why are you defending a guy with an ERA over 30.00 since August 1?
I'm not defending him, I'm just saying there are alot of guys that can be option #9. Which brings me to another point, why do we carry 9 relief pitchers? There are guys in our bullpen that throw maybe once a week. We've had multiple off days recently and we're only going to use about 4-5 guys in "leverage" situations. Yea,keep a mop up guy or two, but we're just wasting roster spots.

14Red

we'd better sweep the Pirates, I'm not sure we can get more than 1 from the Dodgers, then who do we root for with the Cards/ Pads?
Interesting schedule this week, especially the weekend.

- Reds @ Pittsburgh (3), host Dodgers (3)
- Padres @ San Fran (4), @ St Louis (3)
- Cards @ Mets (3), host Padres (3)
- Phillies host Cubs (3), @ Mets (3)

wolves82

we'd better sweep the Pirates, I'm not sure we can get more than 1 from the Dodgers, then who do we root for with the Cards/ Pads?
Depends I guess. I feel like the Cardinals are the most worrisome, so I guess I hope the Padres get 2 of 3 against them. I'm rooting hard for the Mets and Giants this week.

14Red

Depends I guess. I feel like the Cardinals are the most worrisome, so I guess I hope the Padres get 2 of 3 against them. I'm rooting hard for the Mets and Giants this week.
As we keep proving, we need all the help we can get. We'll back into this if we have to. But seriously, I know it's "any given day" but do we have any kind of shot vs. the Dodgers even if we get in? They're going to throw Schertzer or Bueller and we'll get shut down. We can't even hit mediocre pitching now.

14Red

So just a shot in the dark here, how about a lineup shake up for the Pirates series.

here's a suggestion...

India 2B - he's our leadoff hitter until he retires or proves he can't do it anymore. We've waited for a leadoff hitter since the 90's.
Votto 1B - I want our best two offensive player hitting as many time as possible
Castellenos RF
Suarez 3B - I'm sink or swim with Suarez. No more platooning. It doesn't work with Geno or Moustakas
Schrock LF - again, no more platoon. Acquino/ Shogo has done nothing to earn PT.
Naquin CF - hopefully the rib soreness goes away, swining a bat isn't going to feel good.
Farmer SS - I just trust him more now than the rook. Barrero will be our SS in 2022 and beyond.
Barnhart C - I'm ok with the platooning of the catchers, both have had outstanding seasons.

If Naquin can't go, I'm putting Deshields in the lineup in CF. I may even move him up to the #2 spot. We need to get some speed in the lineup somehow.

Now, I'm also asking, possibly even pleading with David Bell to take the shackles off. India, Schrock, Naquin, Deshields, I'm going to at least consider - in proper pitch counts - to starting runners. We can't just sit around and wait for home runs and doubles that are not coming, meanwhile hitting into double plays and popping up 3 straight times. I'm also considering bunting more.

I laughed out loud yesterday when with two out in the 6th, Bell send Sonny Gray up to bat. Granted, he wanted Sonny to go one more inning because his pitch count was amazingly low for Sonny. Funny how we'll give away an out in some situations, but we don't bunt because we don't want to "give away outs"??? Meanwhile, you've got a day off today, and 9 relief pitchers just sitting around in the bullpen. We used one yesterday in Santillan. When is the last time Amir Garrett and Jeff Hoffman even pitched?

SMARTY22

Football has started, the Reds are in the “easy” schedule and losing more than ever. Reds are no longer relevant, best they can do is make Playoffs and get shutout again.

GCPRO

18 games to go with 9 being against the Pirates. Any chance they do better than 9-9 over this stretch? Does 6 games over .500 get you the wild card? With 40 to go this was the stretch to bring it all home and they've been 6-12 over the past 6 series. Starting pitching was plenty good enough to be .500 at least over that stretch and now we wait for the savior to return to the lineup. What are the chances our manager sends up four straight pinch hitters in the 5th to counteract a pitching change by the opposition?
Sorry to be my pessimistic self but we have seen the silliness before.

wolves82

18 games to go with 9 being against the Pirates. Any chance they do better than 9-9 over this stretch? Does 6 games over .500 get you the wild card? With 40 to go this was the stretch to bring it all home and they've been 6-12 over the past 6 series. Starting pitching was plenty good enough to be .500 at least over that stretch and now we wait for the savior to return to the lineup. What are the chances our manager sends up four straight pinch hitters in the 5th to counteract a pitching change by the opposition?
Sorry to be my pessimistic self but we have seen the silliness before.
Well, it is hard to be optimistic with how the Reds are hitting/scoring. 9-9 won't get it done with how the Cards are playing. After the Mets and Padres, Cards play the Brewers 7 times and the Cubs 7 times. Once the Brewers clinch, they will take their foot off the gas and start limiting their pitching rotation guys. Hopefully they stumble this week and really need those first 4 games against the Cards. Another reason the Reds need a big week is to delay the Brewers clinch, so that they need the games against the Cards.

Padres might be in the worst shape. 9 more against the Giants, 3 vs the Cards, 4 against the Braves, 3 vs. LA. Every one of their opponents needs to win as bad as they do - really tough stretch.

Reds also get 4 against the sad Nationals. Goal: 7-2 against Pirates, 3-1 vs Nats, 1-2 vs. LA, 1-1 vs. White Sox. That is 12-6 and probably overly optimistic given our recent offense. 11-7 might get it done.

wolves82

So just a shot in the dark here, how about a lineup shake up for the Pirates series.

here's a suggestion...

India 2B - he's our leadoff hitter until he retires or proves he can't do it anymore. We've waited for a leadoff hitter since the 90's.
Votto 1B - I want our best two offensive player hitting as many time as possible
Castellenos RF
Suarez 3B - I'm sink or swim with Suarez. No more platooning. It doesn't work with Geno or Moustakas
Schrock LF - again, no more platoon. Acquino/ Shogo has done nothing to earn PT.
Naquin CF - hopefully the rib soreness goes away, swining a bat isn't going to feel good.
Farmer SS - I just trust him more now than the rook. Barrero will be our SS in 2022 and beyond.
Barnhart C - I'm ok with the platooning of the catchers, both have had outstanding seasons.

If Naquin can't go, I'm putting Deshields in the lineup in CF. I may even move him up to the #2 spot. We need to get some speed in the lineup somehow.

Now, I'm also asking, possibly even pleading with David Bell to take the shackles off. India, Schrock, Naquin, Deshields, I'm going to at least consider - in proper pitch counts - to starting runners. We can't just sit around and wait for home runs and doubles that are not coming, meanwhile hitting into double plays and popping up 3 straight times. I'm also considering bunting more.

I laughed out loud yesterday when with two out in the 6th, Bell send Sonny Gray up to bat. Granted, he wanted Sonny to go one more inning because his pitch count was amazingly low for Sonny. Funny how we'll give away an out in some situations, but we don't bunt because we don't want to "give away outs"??? Meanwhile, you've got a day off today, and 9 relief pitchers just sitting around in the bullpen. We used one yesterday in Santillan. When is the last time Amir Garrett and Jeff Hoffman even pitched?

So you want the best guys hitting more often, India 1 and Votto 2. I totally agree.

Then a few sentences later you say you will bat DeShields 2nd because he is fast. Who cares how fast he is? Is there a race to get into the dugout after he makes an out?

For what it is worth, I agree with your larger point, which I said Sunday. Play your best 8 guys every day and let them find some rhythm. Other than catcher, a platoon makes sense there. But have a clear #1.

14Red

So you want the best guys hitting more often, India 1 and Votto 2. I totally agree.

Then a few sentences later you say you will bat DeShields 2nd because he is fast. Who cares how fast he is? Is there a race to get into the dugout after he makes an out?

For what it is worth, I agree with your larger point, which I said Sunday. Play your best 8 guys every day and let them find some rhythm. Other than catcher, a platoon makes sense there. But have a clear #1.
I would rather have DeShields hit up in the lineup of possible, but mainly if Naquin out for awhile, I'd like him to be in center rather than Shogo or Aquino. I want more speed in the lineup. We have way too many base cloggers on this roster.

14Red

It's Sept 14th and Winker is going on a rehab assignment. At this point, unless he's 100%, i say shut him down. He's going to re-injure himself with the first couple of big swings.

Tonight's lineup

India
Farmer
Castellenos
Votto
Suarez
Acquino
DeShields
Barnhart
Miley

zeeman

It's Sept 14th and Winker is going on a rehab assignment. At this point, unless he's 100%, i say shut him down. He's going to re-injure himself with the first couple of big swings.

Tonight's lineup

India
Farmer
Castellenos
Votto
Suarez
Acquino
DeShields
Barnhart
Miley
Suarez batting fifth
Swing Miss GIF by MOODMAN

GCPRO

How can that lineup win unless Votto, Castellanos go off? Aquino, one great month in the bigs-.188, DeShields, my daddy is a coach-.176 and Geno, hardest hitting out in the show-also .176.
Does anyone know what truly happened to Senzel? Just curious. Because if you can't get time in that outfield you may pay to be traded. My goodness! Stretch run!

vamp2syd

Votto sucks, Suarez doesn't hustle......

The REDS were fine when Votto went down but they haven't done squat since Winker went out.

Votto was great for 6 weeks but is the crapps before and after......

wolves82

Votto was on base twice, Suarez 3 times. Yet somehow this loss is pinned on them? Meanwhile the golden boy Castellanos leaves 4 guys on base and goes uncriticized by the group of geniuses on this thread. Aquino leaves 5 on base. The real issues last night:
1) Miley pitched batting practice again - 10 hits and 2 walks in 4+ innings.
2) No one on the Reds gets the big hit when we need it, until we are miles behind, same as the last few weeks.

14Red

How can that lineup win unless Votto, Castellanos go off? Aquino, one great month in the bigs-.188, DeShields, my daddy is a coach-.176 and Geno, hardest hitting out in the show-also .176.
Does anyone know what truly happened to Senzel? Just curious. Because if you can't get time in that outfield you may pay to be traded. My goodness! Stretch run!
Senzel was days away from joining the team, then had a knee issue and has since been shut down. I don't think you'll ever see him play in a Reds uniform again. They'll need to get him healthy, then try to boost his value as much as possible during the off season and unload him. It's been so odd with this guy, from the day they drafted him it's been a roller coaster ride with medical issues.

14Red

Votto was on base twice, Suarez 3 times. Yet somehow this loss is pinned on them? Meanwhile the golden boy Castellanos leaves 4 guys on base and goes uncriticized by the group of geniuses on this thread. Aquino leaves 5 on base. The real issues last night:
2) No one on the Reds gets the big hit when we need it, until we are miles behind, same as the last few weeks.
Not that the team is crushing the ball, but the Reds best hitter in September - 14 days in is Eugenio Suarez.

zeeman

Who pinned this loss on them? We all said Suarez sucked before the game not after 😂 your love for Suarez is very creepy

zeeman

This team doesn’t deserve to get near the playoffs, terrible organization and deserve what’s happening to them

GCPRO

I've often thought of myself as a genius but not when it comes to big league baseball. I played in a crappy collegiate program and we often spoke about the fact that when we swung it well, we pitched horribly, when we pitched well we couldn't score runs and when we pitched and hit it good enough we couldn't catch or throw. Bottom line was we just weren't very good. I've come to realize this Reds squad is just mediocre.

zeeman

Would the Reds be better off offensively if they let pitchers hit in the 5-9 slots? The “players” they are running out there have some ridiculously low BAs 😂

D4fan

This team doesn’t deserve to get near the playoffs, terrible organization and deserve what’s happening to them
Willie Cunningham had a great idea from his wife today. She said why dont the Reds just stop playing, and see if they can back into the playoffs. Her idea was when they were 12 games over .500 perhaps no one could match that level. Well, it's too late. After losing 7 series in a row ( already counting the series with Pittsburgh in that number) they will either have to win 66% of games here on out or sit at home while a clutch team like St Louis gets to see if they got hot at the right time.

I dont think they deserve a spot when they lose as many consecutive series as they have.

But just wait till next year.