Northwest Ohio Realignment

chs1971

Would Findlay have any issue traveling to Tiffin Columbian?
Clyde 18, Ross 21
Bellevue 23, BG 41
Perkins 35, Clay 50
Sandusky 36, Southview 61
Norwalk 37, Napoleon 76

Maybe Tiffin is different than everywhere else and the prices of diesel and gas are going down.

jafo

iF 8 of the schools from the SBC Lake and Bay divisions formed their own league/division leaving Columbian and Sandusky out in the cold what would Columbian's options be?

doubtme

iF 8 of the schools from the SBC Lake and Bay divisions formed their own league/division leaving Columbian and Sandusky out in the cold what would Columbian's options be?
This is the only reason I could see them even looking at the NLL

chs1971

Just a couple of random thoughts...

I suggested either Columbian or Sandusky to the new NLL about mid-way through this over 100 page thread.

Napoleon and Sandusky are both familiar each other from their days in the GBC. They both know Route 6 well.
Still, neither makes any sense.

Oak Harbor and Maumee left six team divisions to join 8 team leagues with shorter travel times. That makes sense.

Columbian or Sandusky would be leaving a six team division to join a different six team division with much greater travel times. Than makes no sense.

Last edited:

dappling

True but the issue is no team, other than Maumee, makes sense. And Maumee clearly doesn't want to be part of the NLL any longer.
Maumee leaving a two-tiered NLL was a bad move IMO. If I had a vote, which I obviously don't, I would have voted against it. Maumee is by far the largest school in the SBC. If all sports, both boys and girls, don't become competitive for Maumee in the new SBC, some hard conversations need to be had as well as a look inwards.

chs1971

Maumee leaving a two-tiered NLL was a bad move IMO. If I had a vote, which I obviously don't, I would have voted against it. Maumee is by far the largest school in the SBC. If all sports, both boys and girls, don't become competitive for Maumee in the new SBC, some hard conversations need to be had as well as a look inwards.
I think it was a really good move for Maumee, especially with Oak Harbor joining. They will be much more competitive and are still in a geographically compact league with short travel times. I think the decision-makers at Maumee deserve a lot of credit.

And not to disparage the small schools of Elmwood and Woodmore, but the NBC got a lot better.

Last edited:

chs1971

That makes some sense. I don't know that anyone is in love with Sandusky, but are ex-NOL members Norwalk and Bellevue willing to show Colombian the door? Are the next five willing to play Norwalk, Clyde, and Bellevue every year? If the answers are yes & yes, get Oak Harbor to stay and kick Norwalk out too.

This is a different solution, but some would rightfully object, and I don't think there is any chance that it happens.

693-Sandusky
644-Columbian
621-Norwalk
515-Clyde
500-Bellevue
477-Vermillion
474-Perkins
432-Port Clinton

(400-Oak Harbor is leaving for the NBC. Which might make this split more palatable for HL & Gibsonburg.)
372-Edison
367-Huron

306-Willard
278-Lakota
254-Margaretta
250-Woodmore (joining in '23?)
209-Hopewell-Loudon
199-Gibsonburg

149-Old Fort (non-football)
120-St. Mary's (8 or 11 man?)
112-Lakeside (Are they dedicated to 8-man?)
91-New Riegel (non-football)
87-Calvert
77-St. Joe

smurfyeah19

Highly disagree. Maumee was in bad shape athletically, getting crushed across the board is not good. They need the same thing Rossford needed years ago, a smaller conference that will let them completely reboot.

One reason I always believed in coaching hard is because if you don't have a successful program, no one wants to be a apart of it. Eastwood hasn't won a track league title every year for the last 2 decades because people in Pemberville and Luckey are extremely fast, they've done it because of a culture. Kids grow up in this and learn good work habits, teamwork & sportsmanship that will get them far in life doing a fun sport.

Opposite of that, often times schools with uncompetitive programs fall off and have poor participation. Essentially it devalues your school right? If you have bad extracurriculars then something like a SJJ looks far more desirable.

That makes some sense. I don't know that anyone is in love with Sandusky, but are ex-NOL members Norwalk and Bellevue willing to show Colombian the door? Are the next five willing to play Norwalk, Clyde, and Bellevue every year? If the answers are yes & yes, get Oak Harbor to stay and kick Norwalk out too.

This is a different solution, but some would rightfully object, and I don't think there is any chance that it happens.

693-Sandusky
644-Columbian
621-Norwalk
515-Clyde
500-Bellevue
477-Vermillion
474-Perkins
432-Port Clinton

(400-Oak Harbor is leaving for the NBC. Which might make this split more palatable for HL & Gibsonburg.)
372-Edison
367-Huron

306-Willard
278-Lakota
254-Margaretta
250-Woodmore (joining in '23?)
209-Hopewell-Loudon
199-Gibsonburg

149-Old Fort (non-football)
120-St. Mary's (8 or 11 man?)
112-Lakeside (Are they dedicated to 8-man?)
91-New Riegel (non-football)
87-Calvert
77-St. Joe
Haha ouch, the former 3 SLL members escape from Genoa/Eastwood beatdowns to get the same from Edison & Huron? Haha I guess it built character and we were competitive in some sports but that doesn't sound ideal

chs1971

Haha ouch, the former 3 SLL members escape from Genoa/Eastwood beatdowns to get the same from Edison & Huron? Haha I guess it built character and we were competitive in some sports but that doesn't sound ideal
Exactly, and one of the reasons it won't happen.

Maple_City_Fan

I wonder why those 2 would be left out in cold and not Norwalk considering all 3 are about same-sized and uber-competitive.

dappling

I think it was a really good move for Maumee, especially with Oak Harbor joining. They will be much more competitive and are still in a geographically compact league with short travel times. I think the decision-makers at Maumee deserve a lot of credit.

And not to disparage the small schools of Elmwood and Woodmore, but the NBC got a lot better.
ok Mr. Administrator...I still stand by my statement that if Maumee, based upon the fact that they are BY FAR larger than any school in the NBC, doesn't start winning or at least competing for titles in almost all sports (especially the money ones), then some hard conversations should be had and some looking inward (and not outward) is in order.

Maumee's mantra has been "we are so small, we can't win." If that logic is followed, then they should win right?

dappling

Highly disagree. Maumee was in bad shape athletically, getting crushed across the board is not good. They need the same thing Rossford needed years ago, a smaller conference that will let them completely reboot.

One reason I always believed in coaching hard is because if you don't have a successful program, no one wants to be a apart of it. Eastwood hasn't won a track league title every year for the last 2 decades because people in Pemberville and Luckey are extremely fast, they've done it because of a culture. Kids grow up in this and learn good work habits, teamwork & sportsmanship that will get them far in life doing a fun sport.

Opposite of that, often times schools with uncompetitive programs fall off and have poor participation. Essentially it devalues your school right? If you have bad extracurriculars then something like a SJJ looks far more desirable.

Was that JUST because they are the 2nd smallest school in the league? Other coaches in BB and FB were more competitive in the past under the same circumstances.

eastisbest

ok Mr. Administrator...I still stand by my statement that if Maumee, based upon the fact that they are BY FAR larger than any school in the NBC, doesn't start winning or at least competing for titles in almost all sports (especially the money ones), then some hard conversations should be had and some looking inward (and not outward) is in order.

Maumee's mantra has been "we are so small, we can't win." If that logic is followed, then they should win right?
Not right.

Other school options are not poaching evenly across the Maumee student population. They''re recruiting from the top, athletically and academically. Most of the other schools in the NBC are isolated from that. They lose onsey-twosy, not half a team's worth. So no, it's not about just town or student population.

I liked Maumee in the NLL. It's a change, sure. It's a nice fit. Small town, mostly blue collar, though pemberville getting yuppied up. There's some solid teams, good coaching, as good as the TRACor NLL in major sports in MY uneducated judgement. Their kids play the games as well as the NLL and TRAC kids, without generally the depth of team or top talent.

It stings a bit, I get that but let Maumee just enjoy the new environment? Time will tell. Personally, i would like to see the TCL disband and each school find its own fit. I think the NBC would be a good fit for the Eastside, Bow Wow and Rogers. Scott, Wootward to the TAAC. Start maybe to the a reformed TRAC or NLL. Or just get off the pot and form IB's mega conference.

Last edited:

doubtme

Hey now he might just be an administrator at CHS...

Anyway. Maumee probably made the right decision for them in the long term.

And let's be serious. These leagues will shake up again in a few years

Last edited:

dappling

Not right.

Other school options are not poaching evenly across the Maumee student population. They''re recruiting from the top, athletically and academically. Most of the other schools in the NBC are isolated from that. They lose onsey-twosy, not half a team's worth. So no, it's not about just town or student population.

I liked Maumee in the NLL. It's a change, sure. It's a nice fit. Small town, mostly blue collar, though pemberville getting yuppied up. There's some solid teams, good coaching, as good as the TRACor NLL in major sports in MY uneducated judgement. Their kids play the games as well as the NLL and TRAC kids, without generally the depth of team or top talent.

It stings a bit, I get that but let Maumee just enjoy the new environment? Time will tell. Personally, i would like to see the TCL disband and each school find its own fit. I think the NBC would be a good fit for the Eastside, Bow Wow and Rogers. Scott, Wootward to the TAAC. Start maybe to the a reformed TRAC or NLL. Or just get off the pot and form IB's mega conference.
I am going to agree with you regarding disbanding the TCL. I could see Scott and Woodward in the TAAC. There is too much disparity in enrollment