Northwest Ohio Realignment

Haha ouch, the former 3 SLL members escape from Genoa/Eastwood beatdowns to get the same from Edison & Huron? Haha I guess it built character and we were competitive in some sports but that doesn't sound ideal
Exactly, and one of the reasons it won't happen.

iF 8 of the schools from the SBC Lake and Bay divisions formed their own league/division leaving Columbian and Sandusky out in the cold what would Columbian's options be?
I wonder why those 2 would be left out in cold and not Norwalk considering all 3 are about same-sized and uber-competitive.

I think it was a really good move for Maumee, especially with Oak Harbor joining. They will be much more competitive and are still in a geographically compact league with short travel times. I think the decision-makers at Maumee deserve a lot of credit.

And not to disparage the small schools of Elmwood and Woodmore, but the NBC got a lot better.
ok Mr. Administrator...I still stand by my statement that if Maumee, based upon the fact that they are BY FAR larger than any school in the NBC, doesn't start winning or at least competing for titles in almost all sports (especially the money ones), then some hard conversations should be had and some looking inward (and not outward) is in order.

Maumee's mantra has been "we are so small, we can't win." If that logic is followed, then they should win right?

Highly disagree. Maumee was in bad shape athletically, getting crushed across the board is not good. They need the same thing Rossford needed years ago, a smaller conference that will let them completely reboot.

One reason I always believed in coaching hard is because if you don't have a successful program, no one wants to be a apart of it. Eastwood hasn't won a track league title every year for the last 2 decades because people in Pemberville and Luckey are extremely fast, they've done it because of a culture. Kids grow up in this and learn good work habits, teamwork & sportsmanship that will get them far in life doing a fun sport.

Opposite of that, often times schools with uncompetitive programs fall off and have poor participation. Essentially it devalues your school right? If you have bad extracurriculars then something like a SJJ looks far more desirable.

Haha ouch, the former 3 SLL members escape from Genoa/Eastwood beatdowns to get the same from Edison & Huron? Haha I guess it built character and we were competitive in some sports but that doesn't sound ideal
Was that JUST because they are the 2nd smallest school in the league? Other coaches in BB and FB were more competitive in the past under the same circumstances.

ok Mr. Administrator...I still stand by my statement that if Maumee, based upon the fact that they are BY FAR larger than any school in the NBC, doesn't start winning or at least competing for titles in almost all sports (especially the money ones), then some hard conversations should be had and some looking inward (and not outward) is in order.

Maumee's mantra has been "we are so small, we can't win." If that logic is followed, then they should win right?
Not right.

Other school options are not poaching evenly across the Maumee student population. They''re recruiting from the top, athletically and academically. Most of the other schools in the NBC are isolated from that. They lose onsey-twosy, not half a team's worth. So no, it's not about just town or student population.

I liked Maumee in the NLL. It's a change, sure. It's a nice fit. Small town, mostly blue collar, though pemberville getting yuppied up. There's some solid teams, good coaching, as good as the TRACor NLL in major sports in MY uneducated judgement. Their kids play the games as well as the NLL and TRAC kids, without generally the depth of team or top talent.

It stings a bit, I get that but let Maumee just enjoy the new environment? Time will tell. Personally, i would like to see the TCL disband and each school find its own fit. I think the NBC would be a good fit for the Eastside, Bow Wow and Rogers. Scott, Wootward to the TAAC. Start maybe to the a reformed TRAC or NLL. Or just get off the pot and form IB's mega conference.

Last edited:

Hey now he might just be an administrator at CHS...

Anyway. Maumee probably made the right decision for them in the long term.

And let's be serious. These leagues will shake up again in a few years

Last edited:
Not right.

Other school options are not poaching evenly across the Maumee student population. They''re recruiting from the top, athletically and academically. Most of the other schools in the NBC are isolated from that. They lose onsey-twosy, not half a team's worth. So no, it's not about just town or student population.

I liked Maumee in the NLL. It's a change, sure. It's a nice fit. Small town, mostly blue collar, though pemberville getting yuppied up. There's some solid teams, good coaching, as good as the TRACor NLL in major sports in MY uneducated judgement. Their kids play the games as well as the NLL and TRAC kids, without generally the depth of team or top talent.

It stings a bit, I get that but let Maumee just enjoy the new environment? Time will tell. Personally, i would like to see the TCL disband and each school find its own fit. I think the NBC would be a good fit for the Eastside, Bow Wow and Rogers. Scott, Wootward to the TAAC. Start maybe to the a reformed TRAC or NLL. Or just get off the pot and form IB's mega conference.
I am going to agree with you regarding disbanding the TCL. I could see Scott and Woodward in the TAAC. There is too much disparity in enrollment

It's one school district. I don't see the district administration or board casting them adrift. Together they have something. On their own most will sink.

Not right.

That's a good point about Maumee. Woodmore lost 2 D1 football recruits in the past few years, and I'm pretty sure Eastwood's best basketball player lives in the Woodmore district. Lose a few kids like that and your whole athletic program suffers.

That's a good point about Maumee. Woodmore lost 2 D1 football recruits in the past few years, and I'm pretty sure Eastwood's best basketball player lives in the Woodmore district. Lose a few kids like that and your whole athletic program suffers.

Beyond the 2 D1 football guys they also lost a real good football/baseball guy in Andrew Parker in that same class. Pretty sure he was an All State football player at Central. So Woodmore lost their top 3 athletes from one class - 1 to Genoa and 2 to Central Catholic.

Doesn't happen every year, but the impact is huge for several years.

A couple of Eastwood's better basketball players ended up at Rossford.

A couple of Eastwood's better basketball players ended up at Rossford.
True. Lost a couple of very good volleyball players to Lake, as well.

Andrew Bench at Woodmore and Jase Bowen at Lake probably changes the standings a bit in the NBC over the past decade, though: or Burks and the Durdens staying at Rossford.

With one of them returning to Eastwood.

I had heard that was a possibility. He will make Eastwood better, but surprised he would want to leave Rossford. Seemed like there was going to be a lot of minutes opened up with Croom graduating, plus a lot of talent coming back. Rossford's young guys will need to develop fast if they want to be as good as the last 2 years.

Here are some area news and notes I have heard at the watercooler I would like to share with all of you related to a handful of area programs for this upcoming season.

1. St Francis - School officials are very surprised about losing a couple athletes and coaches to other programs. Bruce is a 1 year interim deal. They have their eyes on another area Head Coach and just want to see how he does in 2021. This could be a shocker come December.

2. Whitmer - Heard Open Enrollment has really done wonders for them. Expect a 3 horse race between Central, Findlay and Whitmer for the Trac this fall.

3. Northwood - Look out for a very under the radar conference change.

4. Oregon Clay - Heard they had a Assistant Coach leave after the first day of group activity. This person does business with the NFL regarding offensive game plan strategy and analytics. Not a good look for a struggling program.

5. Lake - Surprise team to compete in NBC. Heard their passing game is going to both shock and light up that Conference. Competition for Ostego?

6. Napolean & BG - Heard the NLL may not need to worry about being at 11 teams. They think they will get to 8 on their own.

Anyways just random tidbits I have heard I thought you guys would enjoy.

I would also add that Woodmore lost all-league football player Gage Might to Eastwood as well. Hell, it seems if they could keep everyone in district they might win state lol

The Village Reporter has an article stating that Swanton and Evergreen will remain in the NWOAL "for the time being ".

I would also add that Woodmore lost all-league football player Gage Might to Eastwood as well. Hell, it seems if they could keep everyone in district they might win state lol
Well it's why I posted that long comment about both them and Maumee needing to leave. If your extracurriculars are so bad that a child needs to go to a neighboring district for an education then you have a real problem on your hands.

Here are some area news and notes I have heard at the watercooler I would like to share with all of you related to a handful of area programs for this upcoming season.

1. St Francis - School officials are very surprised about losing a couple athletes and coaches to other programs. Bruce is a 1 year interim deal. They have their eyes on another area Head Coach and just want to see how he does in 2021. This could be a shocker come December.

2. Whitmer - Heard Open Enrollment has really done wonders for them. Expect a 3 horse race between Central, Findlay and Whitmer for the Trac this fall.

3. Northwood - Look out for a very under the radar conference change.

4. Oregon Clay - Heard they had a Assistant Coach leave after the first day of group activity. This person does business with the NFL regarding offensive game plan strategy and analytics. Not a good look for a struggling program.

5. Lake - Surprise team to compete in NBC. Heard their passing game is going to both shock and light up that Conference. Competition for Ostego?

6. Napolean & BG - Heard the NLL may not need to worry about being at 11 teams. They think they will get to 8 on their own.

Northwood to the SBC River?

Where do they go, and who is the third to leave?

Maybe it's this eight.

Northview
Springfield
Clay
Ross
Southview
BG
Columbian
Napoleon

Last edited:
This had me curious. They lost their top two athletes and offensive players from a year ago in Saffran and Delventhal. I think the Hayward kid is back who played slot last year and a little QB when Saffran was split out. Not sure whos going to be throwing and catching for them to even come close to competing with Otsego. With their OOC schedule I wouldnt be shocked to see them in the 2-4 win range.

I had heard that was a possibility. He will make Eastwood better, but surprised he would want to leave Rossford. Seemed like there was going to be a lot of minutes opened up with Croom graduating, plus a lot of talent coming back. Rossford's young guys will need to develop fast if they want to be as good as the last 2 years.

This had me curious. They lost their top two athletes and offensive players from a year ago in Saffran and Delventhal. I think the Hayward kid is back who played slot last year and a little QB when Saffran was split out. Not sure whos going to be throwing and catching for them to even come close to competing with Otsego. With their OOC schedule I wouldnt be shocked to see them in the 2-4 win range.
Maybe they found Olwin's old playbook in the locker room?