CHL Football 2021

This is just so stupid, not sure where to begin. Thanks for the pep talk, I had no idea that you could work hard and get better. I guess I didn't realize that because I've never played a sport or coached a sport. You are quite the motivator, thanks for inspiring me. Now, in regards to my research, maybe YOU should do some research before you start flapping your gums.

The number of boys in the high school is right there on the OHSAA web site, its not hard to find. Number of boys is how they determine what division you are in.

1) Taylor 267
2) Wyoming 254
3) Indian Hill 242
4) Mariemont 192
5) Madeira 170
6) Finneytown 169
7) Reading 166
8) Deer Park 133

Wyoming is the second biggest school in the league and is practically twice as big as Deer Park and about 50% bigger than Madeira, Reading, Finneytown and Mariemont. If you think that doesn't make a difference in a small school you are crazy. Wyoming has 88 more boys in their high school than Reading. If you can get even 10% of those boys playing football that can make a big impact on a small program. Of those 9 extra boys playing if a couple (or more) are great athletes that is a game changer.

As an example, Wyoming is about 90% bigger than Deer Park. Winton Woods has 439 boys, which makes them about 70% bigger than Wyoming. How do you think that game would turn out every year for Wyoming?? I'd like to see how that turns out and then tell Wyoming....get better!
Hmmmmm, where do I even start? If you had read one of the other posts, you would have already saw where I stated that I googled how many students. Not how many male students. So we're past that. And I'll use your words and agree that you haven't coached or played a sport based on what you're saying. Or if you did, with all the hate and envy you probably were a bench rider, because no anyone who has put any time and effort into training understands that you can get better. And you believe that the bigger schools win by default, huh? More boys can give you more players to choose from, undoubtedly. But are they good players? Oak Hills made the playoffs at 0 and 10. They're much bigger than Wyoming. Since you ask me about Winton Woods (which I'll answer in a minute) If Wyoming played Oak Hills, how do you think it would turn out? Wyoming would beat the brakes off them, that's how! Now, as far as Winton Woods is concerned, I've seen them play once this year. You probably haven't at all. If Wyoming played them "this year", my money is on Wyoming. Other years, my money would be on Winton Woods. Not this year! That's how I think it would turn out. And I wouldn't have to tell Wyoming to get better; good teams already do!

Last edited:
The Wyoming youth program got cranked back up 2 years ago after a 2 year hiatus, I believe. Also Wyoming made a huge commitment to putting in a college-level strength and conditioning program about 10-12 years ago for boys and girls that has really paid off. Couple that with an indoor facility and weight room that's as nice as any in the state and you can see why they are having sustained success in almost every major sport.
No argument there. I concur.

I said he should be defensive player of the year because he is second in the league in tackles and he makes such a big impact on the game. I think Deer Park underused him on offense. I'm also allowed to make the comment that I think he's the best athlete in the league. My point is that I feel he is a better athlete and running back than CJ. Not trying to take anything away from CJ, he's a great running back but I just think Norey is better

I said he should be defensive player of the year because he is second in the league in tackles and he makes such a big impact on the game. I think Deer Park underused him on offense. I'm also allowed to make the comment that I think he's the best athlete in the league. My point is that I feel he is a better athlete and running back than CJ. Not trying to take anything away from CJ, he's a great running back but I just think Norey is better.
Out of curiosity, you believe Norey Johnson is better than Hester based on what? They did play each other, right? You believe Norey should be DPOY? He was on defense when they played Wyoming, correct? I wasn't there, so I looked it up and Hester had 182 yards and 3 touchdowns against them. What am I missing? I love Norey Johnson, but Hilvert is a beast also. I think it comes down to those 2 for the award defensively. But please show me anything that would make you say that Johnson is a better running back than Hester.

Hmmmmm, where do I even start? If you had read one of the other posts, you would have already saw where I stated that I googled how many students. Not how many male students. So we're past that. And I'll use your words and agree that you haven't coached or played a sport based on what you're saying. Or if you did, with all the hate and envy you probably were a bench rider, because no anyone who has put any time and effort into training understands that you can get better. And you believe that the bigger schools win by default, huh? More boys can give you more players to choose from, undoubtedly. But are they good players? Oak Hills made the playoffs at 0 and 10. They're much bigger than Wyoming. Since you ask me about Winton Woods (which I'll answer in a minute) If Wyoming played Oak Hills, how do you think it would turn out? Wyoming would beat the brakes off them, that's how! Now, as far as Winton Woods is concerned, I've seen them play once this year. You probably haven't at all. If Wyoming played them "this year", my money is on Wyoming. Other years, my money would be on Winton Woods. Not this year! That's how I think it would turn out. And I wouldn't have to tell Wyoming to get better; good teams already do!
Of course you can cherry pick a bad big school and a good small school and make your case but in general, bigger schools have more talent and are better than smaller schools when playing head to head - that's the whole point of why there are multiple divisions. I would take Winton Woods all day over Wyoming.

Out of curiosity, you believe Norey Johnson is better than Hester based on what? They did play each other, right? You believe Norey should be DPOY? He was on defense when they played Wyoming, correct? I wasn't there, so I looked it up and Hester had 182 yards and 3 touchdowns against them. What am I missing? I love Norey Johnson, but Hilvert is a beast also. I think it comes down to those 2 for the award defensively. But please show me anything that would make you say that Johnson is a better running back than Hester.
Once again you are making no sense. This is a team game you know, it wasn't just CJ vs Norey out there. Did you also look up the Norey had 15 tackles in that game? If you'd like a running back stat showing that he is better how about 11.6 yds per carry vs 7.1?

Of course you can cherry pick a bad big school and a good small school and make your case but in general, bigger schools have more talent and are better than smaller schools when playing head to head - that's the whole point of why there are multiple divisions. I would take Winton Woods all day over Wyoming.
Not cherry picking, just using your argument against you. Bigger schools do have more boys to choose from. But it doesn't mean those extra kids want to play football. Maybe they play soccer, track, or are in the band. Who knows. And since you believe I'm cherry picking, let's use someone bigger who Wyoming actually played. Harrison is bigger and in the playoffs. Wyoming beat them, too. The time will come when one of the "so called"smaller schools will beat Wyoming. Its happened in the past, and it will happen again. Just the way things go in life.

Last edited:
Once again you are making no sense. This is a team game you know, it wasn't just CJ vs Norey out there. Did you also look up the Norey had 15 tackles in that game? If you'd like a running back stat showing that he is better how about 11.6 yds per carry vs 7.1?
On how many carries? Tell the whole story. I love Norey Johnson. Awesome athlete. However, your "running back who is better than Hester" had 2 carries for 12 yards against Wyoming. That's a 6 yard average. Hester could possibly stumble forward and get that many. Lol. Defensively, Norey Johnson has a strong argument. But forget hypotheticals. When it's game time, you have to produce. Hester has! 2nd in the entire state in rushing yards. 8th in the entire nation per Maxpreps. 1st in the state in touchdowns. IJS. By the way, Tepe for Mariemont is a better running back than Johnson also. And he has the numbers to prove it.

Last edited:
This is just so stupid, not sure where to begin. Thanks for the pep talk, I had no idea that you could work hard and get better. I guess I didn't realize that because I've never played a sport or coached a sport. You are quite the motivator, thanks for inspiring me. Now, in regards to my research, maybe YOU should do some research before you start flapping your gums.

The number of boys in the high school is right there on the OHSAA web site, its not hard to find. Number of boys is how they determine what division you are in.

1) Taylor 267
2) Wyoming 254
3) Indian Hill 242
4) Mariemont 192
5) Madeira 170
6) Finneytown 169
7) Reading 166
8) Deer Park 133

Wyoming is the second biggest school in the league and is practically twice as big as Deer Park and about 50% bigger than Madeira, Reading, Finneytown and Mariemont. If you think that doesn't make a difference in a small school you are crazy. Wyoming has 88 more boys in their high school than Reading. If you can get even 10% of those boys playing football that can make a big impact on a small program. Of those 9 extra boys playing if a couple (or more) are great athletes that is a game changer.

As an example, Wyoming is about 90% bigger than Deer Park. Winton Woods has 439 boys, which makes them about 70% bigger than Wyoming. How do you think that game would turn out every year for Wyoming?? I'd like to see how that turns out and then tell Wyoming....get better!
IMO Wyoming would lose to WW but the game would be held within a margin that kept both teams starters in. I'd guess the highest margin is 21 points.

I said he should be defensive player of the year because he is second in the league in tackles and he makes such a big impact on the game. I think Deer Park underused him on offense. I'm also allowed to make the comment that I think he's the best athlete in the league. My point is that I feel he is a better athlete and running back than CJ. Not trying to take anything away from CJ, he's a great running back but I just think Norey is better.
How is Norey better? What aspects?

Maybe if you took statistics class you would've learned that the higher amount of attempts will lead to a lower overall average.

Lots of slander towards Wyoming for being so dominant. If people are so unhappy about it put Wyo, IH, Madeira, and Mariemont in a different league with Roger Bacon, CHCA, Purcell, McNick, CJ, Alter. You'd surely see Wyoming still be near or at the top of that league.

How is Norey better? What aspects?
Look, CJ is a good back, I'm not saying that he isn't. I'm just saying that I think Norey is a better athlete and a much more explosive player. Go ahead and disagree with it if you want, but I'm allowed to have that opinion. CJ has more carries than any back in the state and he plays on a good team so naturally his stats are going to be good. I don't hate CJ and I don't hate Wyoming, great player in a great program. As I mentioned previously, I think Deer Park seriously under used Norey, especially earlier in the year. He's their best player and he should have gotten way more touches. His carries the first 6 games were: 3,6,3,5,9,2. In 286 carries CJ had one run over 40 yards (66) while playing on a very good team. In 72 carries, Norey had at least 5 runs of over 48 (82,75,59,52,48) yards on a bad team.

Reactions: 4GX
Perhaps, I have misjudged you. So, am I to assume that your insurmountable lead has to be at least 40 points then? If that's your barometer then you may be correct. I would think that maybe 35 or even 30 could be seen by some as being insurmountable. Heck maybe even 20, depending upon the time left in the game. And I stand by what I said about X. I have inside information as well. But let's just look at the St. X and Moeller game this year. St. X was up 42 to 16 in the 3rd quarter. Beating them so bad that they used a running clock. And all the St.X starters were still in! So, I believe your argument would be that, since it wasn't 40 points it was ok that St.X left their starters in, huh? Because a 26 point lead with a running clock is not "insurmountable". Some would see a 26 point lead with a running clock, in the 4th quarter with the starters still in as running up the score. But, of course, it wasn't 40 "insurmountable" points so they get a pass, huh? But be careful, because to my knowledge Wyoming hasn't beaten anyone by 40 points this year ( other than Finneytown in which we agree all the starters were out after the 1st quarter). Therefore, if 40 insurmountable points is your measuring stick, then they haven't run up the score the entire year. IJS.
Dude, the more you post, the more confused you appear-- do you EVEN KNOW what the running clock rule IS in Ohio HS football? Just so we can start with the same correct information, here's the relevant section of the OHSAA rules:

1.64) Point Differential/Running Clock: After the first half of regular season 7th-8th grade, sub-varsity and varsity contests, any time the score differential reaches 30 points or more, a running clock shall be used. After the 30-point differential has been met but the score drops below 30 points, the clock reverts to regular timing.

So the X/Moeller game you are referencing (which I was AT, by the way) was NOT operating under a running clock at that point in the game that you referenced-- BECAUSE X WAS NOT AHEAD BY MORE THAN 30 POINTS! That game did NOT revert to a running clock until the last few minutes of the 4th quarter (after which point, by the way, X did NOT score again)-- and that has been X's MO this season: try to get to the 30+ point margin in the first half, necessary for the running clock to be invoked at the start of the second half-- and then put in the backups-- and score very little (or not at all) after that point. The WHOLE POINT is to get to a lead sufficient to force the implementation of the running clock, and then ease off the gas, and coast in for the win-- WITHOUT (NEEDLESSLY) embarrassing the other team, by adding on more "rub it in" type garbage-time scores.

So, NO, a 26 point lead, on a team that had scored quickly on two big plays already in that game was NOT (yet) an insurmountable lead with most of the second half remaining. Once X reached the 30-point margin necessary to invoke the running clock, the X subs all went in (in fact, some of them were actually in with the 26-point lead)-- and X never really tried to score again.

You really ought to do some research before you post, because (so far), you seem to just spout off all kinds of stuff (that is FLATLY and demonstrably WRONG), and then look foolish when people correct you (as when you didn't know that Wyoming is 50% bigger in boys HS enrollment than Finneytown, but you insisted that Finneytown was "bigger"-- whatever that means in your terminology... or when you gave an example that supported the opposite of what somebody else has posted about keeping starters in the game-- and then go on to say that you agree with him). I REALLY SERIOUSLY DOUBT that you have coached football at the HS level, given that it appears that you didn't even know the actual details of the running clock rule.

Maybe if you took statistics class you would've learned that the higher amount of attempts will lead to a lower overall average.
This is not necessarily a true statement--it can be true, but statistical theory certainly does not mandate that it be true. There are PLENTY of instances in football, where a running back with more total carries has a much higher average per carry than a running back with fewer total carries-- there is NOTHING in statistics that would mandate that the yards per carry average HAS to drop as the number of carries goes up-- in fact, every time a back carries the ball for a gain more than his average (to that point), his average will go up (even if ever so slightly, as the total number of carries increases)... Maybe you will want to revisit the material from YOUR statistics class.

Hester OPY, Hilvert DPY and Johnson Athlete of the year. You could call it two way player of the year too. Also Wyoming's success is a great recruiting tool. Not that Wyoming would ever recruit any players!!!!!

I forgot one thing Reading's head coach is Cody Reardon. Ken Minor and Scott Thamann are former head coaches who are on Reading's staff.

Dude, the more you post, the more confused you appear-- do you EVEN KNOW what the running clock rule IS in Ohio HS football? Just so we can start with the same correct information, here's the relevant section of the OHSAA rules:

1.64) Point Differential/Running Clock: After the first half of regular season 7th-8th grade, sub-varsity and varsity contests, any time the score differential reaches 30 points or more, a running clock shall be used. After the 30-point differential has been met but the score drops below 30 points, the clock reverts to regular timing.

So the X/Moeller game you are referencing (which I was AT, by the way) was NOT operating under a running clock at that point in the game that you referenced-- BECAUSE X WAS NOT AHEAD BY MORE THAN 30 POINTS! That game did NOT revert to a running clock until the last few minutes of the 4th quarter (after which point, by the way, X did NOT score again)-- and that has been X's MO this season: try to get to the 30+ point margin in the first half, necessary for the running clock to be invoked at the start of the second half-- and then put in the backups-- and score very little (or not at all) after that point. The WHOLE POINT is to get to a lead sufficient to force the implementation of the running clock, and then ease off the gas, and coast in for the win-- WITHOUT (NEEDLESSLY) embarrassing the other team, by adding on more "rub it in" type garbage-time scores.

So, NO, a 26 point lead, on a team that had scored quickly on two big plays already in that game was NOT (yet) an insurmountable lead with most of the second half remaining. Once X reached the 30-point margin necessary to invoke the running clock, the X subs all went in (in fact, some of them were actually in with the 26-point lead)-- and X never really tried to score again.

You really ought to do some research before you post, because (so far), you seem to just spout off all kinds of stuff (that is FLATLY and demonstrably WRONG), and then look foolish when people correct you (as when you didn't know that Wyoming is 50% bigger in boys HS enrollment than Finneytown, but you insisted that Finneytown was "bigger"-- whatever that means in your terminology... or when you gave an example that supported the opposite of what somebody else has posted about keeping starters in the game-- and then go on to say that you agree with him). I REALLY SERIOUSLY DOUBT that you have coached football at the HS level, given that it appears that you didn't even know the actual details of the

This is not necessarily a true statement--it can be true, but statistical theory certainly does not mandate that it be true. There are PLENTY of instances in football, where a running back with more total carries has a much higher average per carry than a running back with fewer total carries-- there is NOTHING in statistics that would mandate that the yards per carry average HAS to drop as the number of carries goes up-- in fact, every time a back carries the ball for a gain more than his average (to that point), his average will go up (even if ever so slightly, as the total number of carries increases)... Maybe you will want to revisit the material from YOUR statistics class.
Thank you. After all of his other ridiculous posts I didn’t have the energy to explain this one to him as well.

Reactions: 4GX
Hmmmm. This is an extremely long post (somebody is in their feelings. Lol.) First of all, I was at that game. It was 42 to 16 by the end of the third quarter. I believe that's only a 26 point lead. I know all about the rule. Let's talk about the actually subject, which was St. X never runs up the score on teams. In your way of thinking, as long as it doesn't reach the magical 30 number, then it's OK to leave your starters in then, huh? While that is the rule, what is the intent? I was at that game because my nephew plays. He's a starter, and he played the entire game! All the way until the final whistle. Lots of starters did. So with 2 minutes left in the game, as long as it's not 30 it's still OK in your world, huh? And you're the one who either keeps making (or agreeing to) absurd comments like Johnson is a better running back than Hester! Which shows your flawed football IQ! Maybe you should quit while you're behind.

Last edited:
I forgot one thing Reading's head coach is Cody Reardon. Ken Minor and Scott Thamann are former head coaches who are on Reading's staff.
I stand corrected. My nephew played for Reading with Tony Pike when they had that very good team. He was also on their state championship team in basketball. I haven't followed Reading closely since then. I spoke with Coach Minor at the Reading game when he was scouting Wyoming. Always great to talk to. A very good man. His go to cuss word is "fiddlesticks"! Lol.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. This is an extremely long post (somebody is in their feelings. Lol.) First of all, I was at that game. It was 42 to 16 by the end of the third quarter. I believe that's only a 26 point lead. I know all about the rule. Let's talk about the actually subject, which was St. X never runs up the score on teams. In your way of thinking, as long as it doesn't reach the magical 30 number, then it's OK to leave your starters in then, huh? While that is the rule, what is the intent? I was at that game because my nephew plays. He's a starter, and he played the entire game! All the way until the final whistle. Lots of starters did. So with 2 minutes left in the game, as long as it's not 30 it's still OK in your world, huh? And you're the one who either keeps making (or agreeing to) absurd comments like Johnson is a better running back than Hester! Which shows your flawed football IQ! And you keep saying that Wyoming is 50 percent bigger than Finneytown. So let's use your words: you state Wyoming has 254 boys and Finneytown has 169 boys, correct? Simple math tells us that Wyoming would have to have 338 boys for it to be 50 percent bigger. See how math works? Maybe you should quit while you're behind.
Really… just stop…you’re just embarrassing yourself now. Lol. You’re failing with your own “simple math”. 338 would be 100% bigger - and you were the one saying we should take a stats class.

Last edited:
Really… just stop…you’re just embarrassing yourself now. Lol. Your failing with your own “simple math”. 338 would be 100% bigger - and you were the one saying we should take a stats class.
Lol. When you're right, you're right. I can't stop laughing...... at myself. (Wrong button hit on the math.) BTW wasn't me that mentioned the stat class, although I agree with the Assessment. But, please don't stop the comments and dialogue. You are one of the few reasons I get on here. It's comedy relief for me. (Still ROFL)

Wow, lots of reading for missing a day or 2 on yappi!!

I'm a taylor guy through and through and show my biased opinions every once in awhile. BUT CJ Hester is the best athlete in the CHL
CJ Hester is the POY in CHL.

2000+ yards 34 TD's is why he is POY
All the football #'s and a 52-10 Varsity wrestling record. SQ his freshmen year , is why he is the best athlete.

Hester OPY, Hilvert DPY and Johnson Athlete of the year. You could call it two way player of the year too. Also Wyoming's success is a great recruiting tool. Not that Wyoming would ever recruit any players!!!!!
Love Hester, love Hilvert, love Johnson. All great players and as someone mentioned earlier, Norey Johnson was criminally underused.

Let's not forget Max Tepe. Leads the CHL in tackles and is 2nd in rushing yards, even after missing the first game of the season. And this is his first year at running back. He's had a great year.

The cumulative IQ of this thread has dropped significantly in the last week thanks to a couple of new participants.
i'm rooting for all the chl teams. good luck DP, i think you are underrated! and good luck reading, you had a special season! and good luck WYO, the program is top notch and i am proud of it!

Love Hester, love Hilvert, love Johnson. All great players and as someone mentioned earlier, Norey Johnson was criminally underused.

Let's not forget Max Tepe. Leads the CHL in tackles and is 2nd in rushing yards, even after missing the first game of the season. And this is his first year at running back. He's had a great year.
I agree. Max Tepe is the real deal.