CHL Football 2021

Wyoming's school size is the smallest factor going into their success. Commitment by players and coaches and tradition are the driving factors for the wins.

Wyoming's school size is the smallest factor going into their success. Commitment by players and coaches and tradition are the driving factors for the wins.
Any coach will tell you it’s talent. And Wyoming wins that every year. Do you think Hancock is the biggest factor to their success? TALENT wins

Disagree, Hancock does a great job leading and running the team. His best attribute is he lets his coaching staff work and gives them lots of liberties. Best coach in CHL by far.

Well, when you accuse someone of doing something, it's just that.....an accusation! And unless you have proof (something someone sitting in the stands could never actually have) then that's all it will ever be. And your belief that you can't just "get better" let's me know that you have never coached sports. Of course you can get better! Instead of watching video games and going on summer vacations, some kids choose to get in the gym. Hence, they "get better". They train all summer to "get better". They eat right to "get better". Coaches go to coaching clinics to "get better". Yes, if you take anything seriously you can "get better". And what are you proposing? To simply give up and never get better? Just keep on losing? If you're not going to play to win, then why play? Football is a dangerous sport, if you're not going to try and be your absolute best, then you probably should pick another sport. And maybe you should do some research before making statements such as "Wyoming is one of the biggest schools in the CHL". Guess what? They're not! Taylor and Finneytown are both bigger. Followed by IH and Wyoming in a virtual tie. Since there are 8 schools in the CHL, I would consider that just about the middle. Schools like IH and Wyoming are not good because they are bigger. They are good because they take it seriously, train, and try to "get better". Maybe your school should too.

Most recent boys enrollment numbers by OHSAA

Taylor - 267
Wyoming - 254
Indian Hill - 242
Mariemont - 192
Madeira - 170
Finneytown - 169
Reading - 166
Deer Park - 133

My CHL Accolades

OPOY: Hester (Wyoming)
DPOY: Hilvert (Taylor)
COY: Reading Coach (don't know name)

Thoughts?
Norey Johnson is far the best athlete in this league. He needs to be defense player of the year. If he got half the touches that Hester did he’d be offensive Player of the year too

How would you rank the Defenses in CHL this year? Wyoming clearly #1. Finneytown the cellar. Where do the rest shake out?
This is one of the best Reading defenses I have seen in a long time. The defense kept them in the game in both of there loses. Now one could say that the CHL as a whole is a little down on the offensive side of the ball, but still Reading's D has been great.

Taylor - 267
Wyoming - 254
Indian Hill - 242
Mariemont - 192
Madeira - 170
Finneytown - 169
Reading - 166
Deer Park

Wow, are you way off base! Wyoming is way bigger than Finneytown. Where did you get that fake news?
Open enrollment is public information. Not sure about "boys" only. However the original topic was stating that Wyoming is good because they draw from "such a big school area" . The fact is that they don't. They're good for other reasons is the point.

Norey Johnson is far the best athlete in this league. He needs to be defense player of the year. If he got half the touches that Hester did he’d be offensive Player of the year too
Okay, this is officially a clown take. Being the best athlete has nothing to do with POY. It's about production within the framework of the season. And your assertion that he would be offensive POY with HALF the carries is completely ridiculous. If he got more carries, teams would key on him. You think his production would be the same if the scouting reports against DP were only focused on stopping him? That's what CJ faced every week. CJ Hester is 8th in the COUNTRY in rushing according to MaxPreps. I'm hoping you we're a few deep when you typed that, because it's hard to take you seriously if not.

Johnson has a case for DPOY for sure. Far from a lock.

Last edited:
Open enrollment is public information. Not sure about "boys" only. However the original topic was stating that Wyoming is good because they draw from "such a big school area" . The fact is that they don't. They're good for other reasons is the point.
Open enrollment ? What does that have to do with anything. Focus on your claim that Finneytown was far bigger than Wyoming.

Taylor - 267
Wyoming - 254
Indian Hill - 242
Mariemont - 192
Madeira - 170
Finneytown - 169
Reading - 166
Deer Park

Wow, are you way off base! Wyoming is way bigger than Finneytown. Where did you get that fake news?
Okay, this is officially a clown take. Being the best athlete has nothing to do with POY. It's about production within the framework of the season. And your assertion that he would be offensive POY with HALF the carries is completely ridiculous. CJ Hester is 8th in the COUNTRY in rushing according to MaxPreps. I'm hoping you we're a few deep when you typed that, because it's hard to take you seriously if not.
Yj_Runyan better hope his job doesn't give him a random drug test. No way he's passing. He's definitely on something with these comments. Lol

Last edited:
Open enrollment ? What does that have to do with anything. Focus on your claim that Finneytown was far bigger than Wyoming.
Uhhhh, school size and the drawing area is the topic, so I am focused. Google is free to everyone. So Google it and see which school has more students PERIOD! And maybe you should go back and read my post. I never said Finneytown was way bigger......only bigger. (Student wise). Reading is fundamental!

Disagree on the claim saying Hancock / Wyoming run up score. They put in their subs / jv once their lead is big enough or their starters got adequate playing time. No reason for Wyo subs and jv to monitor their scoring. If you don't like it, get better.
Great point. Well stated.

Any coach will tell you it’s talent. And Wyoming wins that every year. Do you think Hancock is the biggest factor to their success? TALENT wins
I would agree that talent is pivotal. However, Wyomings entire community is maybe 6 miles long. And you believe that all this "talent" comes from there? I guess it's possible. But Wyoming has an excellent feeder program, as well. If you are correct about the talent part, it's definitely bolstered with lots of training and hard work.

I would agree that talent is pivotal. However, Wyomings entire community is maybe 6 miles long. And you believe that all this "talent" comes from there? I guess it's possible. But Wyoming has an excellent feeder program, as well. If you are correct about the talent part, it's definitely bolstered with lots of training and hard work.
2.88 square miles.

Uhhhh, school size and the drawing area is the topic, so I am focused. Google is free to everyone. So Google it and see which school has more students PERIOD! And maybe you should go back and read my post. I never said Finneytown was way bigger......only bigger. (Student wise). Reading is fundamental!

Finneytown is among the smaller high schools in the CHL. My last post proved this.

If you're still confused about this, maybe it's because you're looking at numbers for the entire 7-12 campus rather than just the high school itself.

Finneytown is among the smaller high schools in the CHL. My last post proved this.

If you're still confused about this, maybe it's because you're looking at numbers for the entire 7-12 campus rather than just the high school itself.
I googled just the high schools. However, I could be wrong. Either way, Wyoming draws from a 2.88 mile community. I would hardly consder that some big area, as was suggested in the original post.

Last edited:
There is no feeder program.

I was wondering the same thing. However, have you noticed that when he was no longer at quarterback that IH has taken off on a nice win streak? No knock on Thorton who is a very good athlete. Just wondering what the difference is now. Did they change anything else?
They got numerous players back healthy.

There is no feeder program.
You mean there is "no longer" a feeder program. However the last few graduating classes came through their peewee league program. The Hester came through it. I've watched him play there since he was 7 years old. It was dismantled a few years ago. However, I would argue that their junior high teams could be considered one as well. BTW, they are very good too. IJS.

Well, when you accuse someone of doing something, it's just that.....an accusation! And unless you have proof (something someone sitting in the stands could never actually have) then that's all it will ever be. And your belief that you can't just "get better" let's me know that you have never coached sports. Of course you can get better! Instead of watching video games and going on summer vacations, some kids choose to get in the gym. Hence, they "get better". They train all summer to "get better". They eat right to "get better". Coaches go to coaching clinics to "get better". Yes, if you take anything seriously you can "get better". And what are you proposing? To simply give up and never get better? Just keep on losing? If you're not going to play to win, then why play? Football is a dangerous sport, if you're not going to try and be your absolute best, then you probably should pick another sport. And maybe you should do some research before making statements such as "Wyoming is one of the biggest schools in the CHL". Guess what? They're not! Taylor and Finneytown are both bigger. Followed by IH and Wyoming in a virtual tie. Since there are 8 schools in the CHL, I would consider that just about the middle. Schools like IH and Wyoming are not good because they are bigger. They are good because they take it seriously, train, and try to "get better". Maybe your school should too.
This is just so stupid, not sure where to begin. Thanks for the pep talk, I had no idea that you could work hard and get better. I guess I didn't realize that because I've never played a sport or coached a sport. You are quite the motivator, thanks for inspiring me. Now, in regards to my research, maybe YOU should do some research before you start flapping your gums.

The number of boys in the high school is right there on the OHSAA web site, its not hard to find. Number of boys is how they determine what division you are in.

1) Taylor 267
2) Wyoming 254
3) Indian Hill 242
4) Mariemont 192
5) Madeira 170
6) Finneytown 169
7) Reading 166
8) Deer Park 133

Wyoming is the second biggest school in the league and is practically twice as big as Deer Park and about 50% bigger than Madeira, Reading, Finneytown and Mariemont. If you think that doesn't make a difference in a small school you are crazy. Wyoming has 88 more boys in their high school than Reading. If you can get even 10% of those boys playing football that can make a big impact on a small program. Of those 9 extra boys playing if a couple (or more) are great athletes that is a game changer.

As an example, Wyoming is about 90% bigger than Deer Park. Winton Woods has 439 boys, which makes them about 70% bigger than Wyoming. How do you think that game would turn out every year for Wyoming?? I'd like to see how that turns out and then tell Wyoming....get better!

You mean there is "no longer" a feeder program. However the last few graduating classes came through their peewee league program. The Hester came through it. I've watched him play there since he was 7 years old. It was dismantled a few years ago. However, I would argue that their junior high teams could be considered one as well. BTW, they are very good too. IJS.
The Wyoming youth program got cranked back up 2 years ago after a 2 year hiatus, I believe. Also Wyoming made a huge commitment to putting in a college-level strength and conditioning program about 10-12 years ago for boys and girls that has really paid off. Couple that with an indoor facility and weight room that's as nice as any in the state and you can see why they are having sustained success in almost every major sport.

Okay, this is officially a clown take. Being the best athlete has nothing to do with POY. It's about production within the framework of the season. And your assertion that he would be offensive POY with HALF the carries is completely ridiculous. If he got more carries, teams would key on him. You think his production would be the same if the scouting reports against DP were only focused on stopping him? That's what CJ faced every week. CJ Hester is 8th in the COUNTRY in rushing according to MaxPreps. I'm hoping you we're a few deep when you typed that, because it's hard to take you seriously if not.

Johnson has a case for DPOY for sure. Far from a lock.
I said he should be defensive player of the year because he is second in the league in tackles and he makes such a big impact on the game. I think Deer Park underused him on offense. I'm also allowed to make the comment that I think he's the best athlete in the league. My point is that I feel he is a better athlete and running back than CJ. Not trying to take anything away from CJ, he's a great running back but I just think Norey is better.