Central Buckeye Conference (CBC) 2023

Here we are week 10 and playoffs are appearing larger in the side view mirror. This is a big week for some to carry momentum into week 11, while others want to end on a high note.

KT
London at Urbana: Donahoe is the man when it comes to the U. He needs less than 150 yards rushing this week to a be a 1000/1000 yardage QB. That may will be a bit more difficult getting than previous weeks. If the U gets the upset, they have a shot to host next week. London is a team where nightmares are made. They do it all well and find ways to win. I would like to think this game could be a good one, down to the wire but the Red Raiders are too much and will take this game easily 48-14.

KR at Bellefontaine: The Chefs need this game to maybe clean up some things and prep for next week. Fogan needs a $1.69 to get that 1000 rushing yards. Could Neer actually break the school record with receiving yards in a game? Both are highly probable. Don't expect the Cougars to roll over considering the beatings they have taken the last three weeks and wanting to finish on a high note. All told, the Kittens have averaged less than 150 total yards the last games and have given up at least twice that yardage. However, the Chefs defense could be the wave they need to right the ship. Yardage don't win games and I am I going with Bellefontaine 56-10.

Alder at Tecumseh: I dont know where to begin with this. Jewell adds some carets to his pending OPOY crown with 300+ yards, maybe in the first 2 and quarter quarters. I like the Pioneers are showing a passing threat but this week it is not needed. The Broken Arrows have some things to address before next season. I love the scrappiness of Tecumseh but this game is not ideal on the schedule at this time. JA runs away 53-14.

MR
Northwestern at Shawnee: Shawnee met the expectation of winning the division but expectations never played, they had to take it. This game is for their out right ownership. The Warriors have times tasted success but at other times have not been very good. The bright spot, they have a Soph. QB that is tops in the division, for now, and up there with some defensive stats. Northwestern can build around this youngster. This game may not be as close as the score. Home of the Braves 63-14.

Indian Lake at North Union: NU started slow but are finishing strong, even taking the Braves to the wire. Skaggs is a 1100+ passer with a committee of rushers while the defense only gives up 8 points per divisional game. The Lakers tough schedule has prepared them for this moment while being stingy with points in their own right. The Lakers have an OPOY candidate and a strong rushing game. Both teams mirror each other in points scored this could be an offensive show, which I will lean that way. I will go with the Lakers in an upset 42-35 in OT.

Ben Logan at Graham: The Falcons have grown the Raiders have not. This should be a good game without considering their records but both teams are wanting some momentum going into next year and this game could be that springboard. I would suspect one of these teams could give fits to some divisional teams next year. Good things are coming. I am not letting the records, stats or anything else sway me in this decision, just my gut. Graham will break through for their first and only win this season, 28-20.

Good luck to all on Friday.
According to Jewell's Instagram, he is out for the rest of the season.

I know there is chatter on the OHC thread (CBC little brother, :ROFLMAO: ) that includes the CBC and some, and me, were wondering if there is a 2023 CBC Thread. Maybe there is but I am tired of searching or just too ignorant on how to search properly OR maybe I cannot raed rihgt. In any event, here it is.

What is going on with the conference since there are coaching changes, divisional changes and generally the outlook for the upcoming year? Can't get here soon enough?

Coaching changes: Who are they and what can we expect?
Schedule: Does Graham play Minser in week 2? Any interesting OOC games in the conference?
Divisional changes: Shawnee to the Mad River and Urbana to Kenton Trail....IMO, this is a better situation for the Braves but who knows. The Climbers had a great last year and I was surprised and entertained with their dog fighting abilities. Is this year a reality check for them or can they sustain and upset any of the BIG 3 in the KT? Can Shawnee finally finish out a year, preceived weaker divisional play, without getting the pizz beat out of their key players and make a deeper run in the playoffs?
Did Springfield HS work out a NIL deal for the Bellefontaine QB....relax, it's a frick'n joke, but seriously. Does that talented, SEC recruit break out in 2023?

My way too early predictions, based on school mascots, team colors, concession stands and/or generally how I feel this morning:
KT
Bellefontaine
London
Alder
Tecumseh
Kenton Ridge
Urbana

MR
Shawnee
North Union
Graham
Indian Lake
Ben Logan
Northwestern

Discuss....

Here we are week 10 and playoffs are appearing larger in the side view mirror. This is a big week for some to carry momentum into week 11, while others want to end on a high note.

KT
London at Urbana: Donahoe is the man when it comes to the U. He needs less than 150 yards rushing this week to a be a 1000/1000 yardage QB. That may will be a bit more difficult getting than previous weeks. If the U gets the upset, they have a shot to host next week. London is a team where nightmares are made. They do it all well and find ways to win. I would like to think this game could be a good one, down to the wire but the Red Raiders are too much and will take this game easily 48-14.

KR at Bellefontaine: The Chefs need this game to maybe clean up some things and prep for next week. Fogan needs a $1.69 to get that 1000 rushing yards. Could Neer actually break the school record with receiving yards in a game? Both are highly probable. Don't expect the Cougars to roll over considering the beatings they have taken the last three weeks and wanting to finish on a high note. All told, the Kittens have averaged less than 150 total yards the last games and have given up at least twice that yardage. However, the Chefs defense could be the wave they need to right the ship. Yardage don't win games and I am I going with Bellefontaine 56-10.

Alder at Tecumseh: I dont know where to begin with this. Jewell adds some carets to his pending OPOY crown with 300+ yards, maybe in the first 2 and quarter quarters. I like the Pioneers are showing a passing threat but this week it is not needed. The Broken Arrows have some things to address before next season. I love the scrappiness of Tecumseh but this game is not ideal on the schedule at this time. JA runs away 53-14.

MR
Northwestern at Shawnee: Shawnee met the expectation of winning the division but expectations never played, they had to take it. This game is for their out right ownership. The Warriors have times tasted success but at other times have not been very good. The bright spot, they have a Soph. QB that is tops in the division, for now, and up there with some defensive stats. Northwestern can build around this youngster. This game may not be as close as the score. Home of the Braves 63-14.

Indian Lake at North Union: NU started slow but are finishing strong, even taking the Braves to the wire. Skaggs is a 1100+ passer with a committee of rushers while the defense only gives up 8 points per divisional game. The Lakers tough schedule has prepared them for this moment while being stingy with points in their own right. The Lakers have an OPOY candidate and a strong rushing game. Both teams mirror each other in points scored this could be an offensive show, which I will lean that way. I will go with the Lakers in an upset 42-35 in OT.

Ben Logan at Graham: The Falcons have grown the Raiders have not. This should be a good game without considering their records but both teams are wanting some momentum going into next year and this game could be that springboard. I would suspect one of these teams could give fits to some divisional teams next year. Good things are coming. I am not letting the records, stats or anything else sway me in this decision, just my gut. Graham will break through for their first and only win this season, 28-20.

Good luck to all on Friday.
should be good

Who would have thought at the beginning of the year that Graham would be winless?
Agree.
The whole youth and schedule is tough excuse.
I haven't seen Graham play live so I'm asking this...Are the guys playing hard and showing improvement from week to week? If so, that's a good thing especially since you are 0-9. Regardless of youth Graham hasn't scored in two weeks. I mean you can't score against Northwestern? We will see this Friday how far the youthful falcons have come this season...

Schedule toughness- I question that. West Liberty doesn't play anybody and they are DIV county school, this should be a competitive COUNTY game every year regardless of youth or talent. Minster I get it a MAC school but still DVII. Brookville= Legit, Urbana=doesn't play anybody. Biggest rival on the schedule should be competitive every year regardless of youth or talent. London=Legit, Shawnee=Well coached

League play = No excuses

Agree.
The whole youth and schedule is tough excuse.
I haven't seen Graham play live so I'm asking this...Are the guys playing hard and showing improvement from week to week? If so, that's a good thing especially since you are 0-9. Regardless of youth Graham hasn't scored in two weeks. I mean you can't score against Northwestern? We will see this Friday how far the youthful falcons have come this season...

Schedule toughness- I question that. West Liberty doesn't play anybody and they are DIV county school, this should be a competitive COUNTY game every year regardless of youth or talent. Minster I get it a MAC school but still DVII. Brookville= Legit, Urbana=doesn't play anybody. Biggest rival on the schedule should be competitive every year regardless of youth or talent. London=Legit, Shawnee=Well coached

League play = No excuses
West Lib doesn’t play anyone? i’m sorry, but not sure where you’re getting that info from. WLS may be the second best team in R24 this year.

West Lib doesn’t play anyone? i’m sorry, but not sure where you’re getting that info from. WLS may be the second best team in R24 this year.
Ben Logan 1-8
Madison Plains 1-8
Triad 1-8
Fairbanks 2-7

Greenview & West Jeff only teams they played this year....
Ohio Heritage South is horrible.
And Region 24 is horrible this year..

Ben Logan 1-8
Madison Plains 1-8
Triad 1-8
Fairbanks 2-7

Greeneview, Southeastern, Burg, Northeastern, West Jeff. I experienced first hand how good West Lib is, they have the best RB in possibly all of D6, and two other good complementary RBs. They have a stingy defense who can stuff the run and some pretty tall and athletic WRs. Besides Kirtland, Blufton, Garaway, West Jefferson and Versailles. I think West Liberty is one of the best in that division. With the right draws they can get into Week 14.

Ben Logan 1-8
Madison Plains 1-8
Triad 1-8
Fairbanks 2-7

the South is not as bad as you think.. there are 3 teams in that division that have a real chance to win a playoff game or two with the right draw

you forget about Mechanicsburg and Northeastern in the north division?

my guess is you’re not from around here and completely unfamiliar with the OHC. it’s a too small school league in the state of Ohio outside of the MAC

do yourself a solid and attend an OHC game. i can promise you it’s quality football.

simpsons-bart-simpson.gif

1) WLS is a small school OHC team and shouldn’t be compared to CBC schools.

2) Just a note, WLS was up 42-7 on Urbana in the jamboree 1 drive into the 3rd quarter when they pulled their starters. I understand that’s a scrimmage score, but starters were played the entire time up until that point. Reason I bring that up, I think if you asked any coach, player, or fan of Urbana; they would say WLS is one of the best teams they’ve played all year.

WLS is a solid team for a D6 school. I wouldn’t consider that a bad loss for graham by any stretch of the imagination.

The great thing is the data is out there. You’d need to take the Regional Finalists and compare their Pastuer ranking to past years. Would take some work but I’m sure Drew’s computers could do it quick

Alright. My wife will kill me if I dig deeper but here’s what I found quickly

2022 Regional Finalist Pastuer Ranking (statewide/no division)

2023 Top 8 teams in Division VI

Outside the top two being down slightly, not sure it’s much different among better teams.

Alright. My wife will kill me if I dig deeper but here’s what I found quickly

2022 Regional Finalist Pastuer Ranking (statewide/no division)

2023 Top 8 teams in Division VI

Outside the top two being down slightly, not sure it’s much different among better teams.
Nice work as always. Actually looks slightly better, outside those top 2. If Coldwater or ML were in D6, it would be close to a banner year for the division according to drew.

All in all, I’m just happy WLS avoids those 2 and hope they avoid Versailles (and even Anna) as long as possible.

not at all shocking considering the youth they have as well as a gauntlet of a schedule
The 10 opponents on their schedule this year are going to end up a combined 66-34 or 67-33 depending on whether or not they lose to Ben Logan this week... Northwestern, North Union (could finish 5-5), and Benjamin Logan are their only opponents with losing records.

I would say the five opponents they played non-league + crossovers were all significantly better than the best opponent NW played (Kenton Ridge) the first five weeks. Absolutely brutal start for a team who's best returning players were a handful of experienced juniors. Limited seniors and the most talented kid (a wrestler) who was honorable mention All-Ohio last year as a WR didn't play this year.

I didn't think there was much separating them and Northwestern...the difference between the two teams was the QB for NW and one big fumble deep in their own territory that set up Northwestern in the red zone. I think there's a decent chance Graham goes out with a low scoring win against Ben Logan.

The 10 opponents on their schedule this year are going to end up a combined 66-34 or 67-33 depending on whether or not they lose to Ben Logan this week... Northwestern, North Union (could finish 5-5), and Benjamin Logan are their only opponents with losing records.

I would say the five opponents they played non-league + crossovers were all significantly better than the best opponent NW played (Kenton Ridge) the first five weeks. Absolutely brutal start for a team who's best returning players were a handful of experienced juniors. Limited seniors and the most talented kid (a wrestler) who was honorable mention All-Ohio last year as a WR didn't play this year.

I didn't think there was much separating them and Northwestern...the difference between the two teams was the QB for NW and one big fumble deep in their own territory that set up Northwestern in the red zone. I think there's a decent chance Graham goes out with a low scoring win against Ben Logan.
Looking at the Graham roster there are 34 kids:

Seniors - 3 (1 is only listed as a Kicker)
Juniors - 9 (1 is only listed as a Kicker)
Sophomores - 9
Freshman - 13

The QB and leading rusher are Freshman. Then considering the youth of the team, I would suspect the offensive line and defense are made up mostly of Sophs and Frosh. There is a whole lot of youngsters playing varsity ball when they should be playing Saturday morning. Put their OOC, crossovers, some pretty decent divisional teams, new coach with a different scheme? philosophy with a wrestling school all together you get where they are. They competed against NW which is a positive sign of improvement. I think they win this week.

In a couple of years if the Frosh and Sophs stay the course, we could be talking about them competing for a divisional title.

Last edited:
Graham will be fine. They are young and 8th grade has some talent to go with the freshman class. I'm sure they will remember some of these losses. Much respect to the upper classmen who have gone out and played hard every night during a tough season. In today's world most kids would just quit. Graham will be on the rise again.

Finally making it back to the home state to watch TSC and the Chiefs play in person, hopefully they can clean some things up this week to get ready for some region 11 play.
According to Jewell's Instagram, he is out for the rest of the season.
I was wondering the status of him after last week, went out twice but came back in and was relentless. I got to say that kid plays with a lot of heart, hate to hear he is done for the year.

i don’t think Alder has a chance in the playoffs without Jewell. he’s a great player and they live and die by how he performs as well as his availability.

Crazy that it is already week 10. This season seems to have gone by quick, and I am pretty sure it is 1 week earlier than usual, just how the calendar played out.

London @ Urbana - This could be ugly for the U. London is a big, tough, PHYSICAL team. Urbana seems to be more of a finesse team. Best hope for the U is that London rests some starters as they prep for the playoffs ... unlikely. London 43-17

Kenton Ridge @ Bellefontaine - Bellefontaine proved last week that, it is great to have St. Clair, but they are very multiple. Bellefontaine should handle KR easily, playoffs could be another story though. Bellefontaine 49-14

Jonathan Alder @ Tecumseh - JA should be able to handle the down Tecumseh team. If Tecumseh wins, they make the playoffs. Word on the street is that Jewell is done. That could make for an interesting night in New Carlisle. JA wins ... barely - 20-7

Northwestern @ Shawnee - Shawnee is the best team on the MR side, easily. NW is on the way up, but it is to little to late as Shawnee handles them pretty easily. Shawnee 35-14

Graham @ Ben Logan - This is going to be 1 of 2 things, in my opinion. Either one amazing game, or hard to watch. I am hoping for a great game here. Seems that these 2 teams are very close in talent level (Graham may have the upper hand in the long run due to how young they are). But, I think Ben Logan gets the upper hand here. BL wins 34-21 (Great Game) ... OR ... BL wins 12-6 (Hard to watch)

Indian Lake @ North Union - Both teams are really good teams and this may be the game of the week in the CBC. Good, quality football from both sides. I keep on saying it and I have to continue, North Union is a well oiled machine. Sometimes they just need a tune up. NU will be fine! I think they take this hard fought battle. NU wins 31-24

I cant wait to see the craziness of playoff projections and the scramble to see who plays who! Good luck to everyone, especially those teams that are definitely out of the playoffs, make this last game a great one!