Central Buckeye Conference (CBC) 2023

The only game in the CBC this week that matters is Bellefontaine @ JA. The teams have 2 common opponents, Ben Logan & London. Both took out Ben Logan with relative ease but the London game was drastically different for each.

Bellefontaine (London 36-6, wk 6) appeared to have difficulty with London at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Regardless of a D1 qb and ‘weapons’ at rb and wr, they can only do so much if the line of scrimmage is being dominated by the opponent.

JA (London 57-48, wk 7) appeared to have success on offense but couldn’t slow down the London ground game. Jewell had 350+ rushing yards so it’s wasn’t like London didn’t know who or where the ball was going so give some credit to JA’s line. It appears this became one of those shootout games where the team with the ball last was going to win. Plus, it is a heated rivalry so this could very well be the best game JA plays all year.

I think the Bellefontaine-JA game could come down to how the pace of the game plays out. If it’s a shootout, gotta like Bellefontaine with the qb. If the game gets to be a bit of a grind, I like JA with Jewell running the ball. Home field and Senior night for JA could be the difference.

Calpreps.com
Bellefontaine 35-28, 65%

Drew Pasteur
Bellefontaine win by 4, 60%
I would suspect this to be a SRO game as it should be. A lot of talent going on here. I am pulling as much for Jewell to have a career game as I am for the St. Clair and Neer to light it up through the air. It should be a dandy. I'll stand by my pick with the Chefs taking this one.

The only game in the CBC this week that matters is Bellefontaine @ JA. The teams have 2 common opponents, Ben Logan & London. Both took out Ben Logan with relative ease but the London game was drastically different for each.

Bellefontaine (London 36-6, wk 6) appeared to have difficulty with London at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Regardless of a D1 qb and ‘weapons’ at rb and wr, they can only do so much if the line of scrimmage is being dominated by the opponent.

JA (London 57-48, wk 7) appeared to have success on offense but couldn’t slow down the London ground game. Jewell had 350+ rushing yards so it’s wasn’t like London didn’t know who or where the ball was going so give some credit to JA’s line. It appears this became one of those shootout games where the team with the ball last was going to win. Plus, it is a heated rivalry so this could very well be the best game JA plays all year.

I think the Bellefontaine-JA game could come down to how the pace of the game plays out. If it’s a shootout, gotta like Bellefontaine with the qb. If the game gets to be a bit of a grind, I like JA with Jewell running the ball. Home field and Senior night for JA could be the difference.

Calpreps.com
Bellefontaine 35-28, 65%

Drew Pasteur
Bellefontaine win by 4, 60%
Actually 3 common opponents with Urbana

Bellefontaine 44 Urbana 14 week 8
JA 41 Urbana 33 week 6

I do agree if JA can slow the pace down the Chiefs could be in for a long night.

JA 41 Urbana 33 week 6

I do agree if JA can slow the pace down the Chiefs could be in for a long night.
When Jewell rushes for 370 against London, Belle better hope for a slower pace, lol. This cat may be the fastest RB (athlete) in the CBC and possibly the most underrated RB in the OH...

JA 41 Urbana 33 week 6

Keep in mind, Jewell only played about three snaps in the second half against Urbana. Urbana couldn't even begin to stop him up until that point. Urbana was a call or two from being buried in that game early in the second quarter.

Last edited:
Week 9. I've taken several days off commenting on Yappi topics while enjoying some fires, beer, bourbon and conversation. I had a chance to pick my good friend's brain in his last year of scouting and listening to him reminiscence over the years he has put in on the road from the teams he has seen (what a list it is), to the fans in the stands, the bands and concession stands. The game has changed from the 8/16 mm films, VHS, DVD to Hudl. There is no longer a scout roost on the 50 yard line to chart the games and friendly banter but only a single person to offer a perspective of what they see real time as a "one off". The thing that stuck out to me is what he stated when he tells the coaches when going against a "subpar" team..."they are the best team you will play on Friday". Truly a pessimistic optimist if one was ever created.

Bellefontaine at Ader: Game of the Week. The Chefs are dangerous and have a lot of weapons. Though they may or may not have met expectations, they are still a quality team that can make conference and post season noise. Alder, is one dimensional and a threat to beat any team at any time. Passing versus rushing, who wins...weeeellll......Jewell, is as good as they get but when faced with a St.Clair, Neer, Wilson,Fogan and/or Scott the Pioneers may be out muscled. Will there be a defense in this game? Drew Pasteur has the Chefs by 4. With a lights out, exciting game I will take the. Chefs 48-45.

Kenton Ridge at London: I can write a lot of stuff both good and bad but I will save everyone the trouble and put the kitties to rest in this one and their playoff chances. Drew has the Red Raiders as 38 point favorites and I can not be any be any nicer if the Raider Frosh played...London clocks the Cougars 56-7.

Tecumseh at Urbana: I still like Donahoe, yes, he is a good HS player and should be recognized for that. The U needs this game to solidify their R16 playoff but reality is this could be their last win of the year. The Arrows? well, they need to be re-fletched. A win here only gets them to a solid Baden team in week 11 and I dont think scoreboards read in 100s. This will be the whiskey game, go ugly early. Drew sides with Urbana +27. My guess, Climbers 54-13.

Shawnee at Ben Logan: The best thing about a coaching staff that has been there, done that, is they don't over look the week they are in. From what I have heard, the Braves are bad arse fast with a lights out defense, take no prisoners and in your face...have I touted them enough? NO?
Well there is Meeks on the field that is a 1000+ rusher looking to add . Ben Logan has had a tough schedule and had a nail biter last week but this week ain't nothing like they've seen before. Drew gives the edge to Shawnee +40. Me? Braves 63-7...how's that LELL?

Northwestern at Indian Lake: Reid is still in the running for the Mad River OPOY but he will need all of that any some help to get by a solid Lakers team. Not a great chance of the Warriors getting to the playoffs but they could be a spoiler to upset seedings. The Lakers have played a great schedule but were reduced to reality last week. I am not giving up on the Lakers as they have a OPOY candidate in Lillard and IL needs this more than NW. Drew gives this one to the Lakers by 16. I say IL walks away 35-17.

Graham at North Union: It appears I will have no overtime prediction this week as there is cream and there is whey. The Falcons have undoubtedly played the toughest schedule but that does nothing to get them past a solid NU team. NU on their immaculate field will win this game and possibly the next to get them into the playoffs at 5-5. Drew says NU by 30, I will take NU in a total domination 54-10.

I think the divisional champs have been determined, now it is a matter of staying healthy and making good runs in the playoffs. Good luck to each team.
Week 9 ... and like it has already been said, the CBC champs are already pretty much determined. Still going to be a decent week of football in the CBC

Bellefontaine at Alder - GAME OF THE WEEK!!! This could be a great game ... or a blowout. Depends which version of these teams shows up. It might be more important for JA and their playoff standings. Bellefontaine looks great on paper with St. Clair, Neer, and Fogan, but they arent dominating like one would think. I still think they have more firepower than JA. Bellefontaine wins 35-28

Kenton Ridge at London - This is going to be a long night for the Cougars. I can see London putting up something like 400, or even 500, rushing yards. and KR might not even hit the century mark ... in total offense. London wins 56-0

Tecumseh at Urbana - This will be a blowout for Urbana. But I also thought Urbana would be way more competitive against Bellefontaine. They still get the job done. I know Urbana finishes the season at home next week against London, but I would make this my senior night so they have that on a win. Cause next week wont be it. Urbana 59-10

Shawnee at Ben Logan - Ben Logan is really bad. Shawnee will dominate this game in every aspect! Meeks will go off for a great performance. Hopefully, with a good off season, BL can be somewhat competitive next year. But for this week, Shawnee wins 52-14

Northwestern at Indian Lake - I keep wanting Northwestern to do good things, but I keep getting it wrong. This week, it will be all Indian Lake though. 35-7

Graham at North Union - Graham is struggling this season. They are young and have, potentially, a bright future. But that future is not week 9 (or week 10). North Union is a well coached team that will figure it all out. This week they get themselves into the playoffs, with ease. Because of the run heavy team the NU likes to be, I say this will be 42-7 in favor of NU

Only 2 more Friday nights until playoffs! Good luck everyone!

Since the year is winding down, the end of year awards are looming. Though a team sport, there are individual achievements that are to be recognized and IMO being a conference OPOY/DPOY leads to a higher ranking of area, district and state level awards. What exactly are the criteria for the POY? Stats, importance to the team success, team success (head to head divisional play), body of work throughout the year or within the division/crossovers games? I can only base my selections from stats with at slight comparison to body of work and overall competition within the division. As of today, I would guess the following:

KT OPOY (ranked in order)
1. Cameron Jewell - Alder - 1800 yards rushing, 225 yards/game (average 12 yards per carry), 204 yards receiving. 2004 total yards, 27 TDs
2. Tavien St. Clair - Bellefontaine - 1836 yards passing, 230 yards/game, 23 TDs, 4 INT, 240 yards rushing. 2076 total yards, 27 TDs
3. Will Donahoe - Urbana - 1499 yards passing, 187 yards/game, 16 TDs, 8 INT, 56 yards rushing. 2255 total yards, 28 TDs

KT DPOY (ranked in order)
1. Harper Scott - Bellefontaine - 46 Solo, 76 Total Tackles, 1 Forced Fumble, 2 Fumble Recoveries, 4 Sacks
2. Johann Boeckl - Alder - 21 Solo, 49 Total Tackles, 5 INT, 2 Forced Fumbles, 1 TD
3. Carter Caudill - Bellefontaine - 32 Solo, 75 Total Tackles, 1Fumble Recovery, 1 Sack

Is there anyone from London that should have consideration? They are only crediting 7 games on the CBC site but being 8-0, there probably needs to be someone that would have consideration for OPOY/DPOY.

MR OPOY (ranked in order)
1A. TJ Meeks - Shawnee - 1077 yards rushing, 135 yards/game (average 7 yards per carry), 80 yards receiving. 1157 total yards, 15 TDs
1B. Burke Lillard - Indian Lake - 1164 yards passing, 146 yards/game, 14 TDs, 4 INT, 650 yards rushing. 1814 total yards, 21 TDs
3. Reid Smith - Northwestern - 1361 yards passing, 170 yards/game, 14 TDs, 9 INT, 168 yards rushing. 1531 total yards, 16 TDs

MR DPOY (ranked in order)
1. Reid Smith - Northwestern - 19 Solo, 43 Total Tackles, 5 INT, 1 Forced Fumble, 1 TD
2. Burke Lillard - Indian Lake - 17 Solo, 27 Total Tackles, 5 INT
3. Caden Strader - Graham - 53 Solo, 104 Total Tackles

Odd my #1 and #2 are also the QBs of their teams... I would love to be a fly on the wall and hear the coaches hash this out. Yet, two more games to play.

The second leading rusher in the league has five more attempts than Jewell, but 733 less yards
That is true while Alder relies on Jewell for 59% of their rushes and 63% of their total offense, Shawnee spreads the ball a bit more with Meeks carrying 50% of the rushing load and 48% of the total offense.

Jewell, alone, has 50% of Shawnee's total offensive production. What he has accomplished thus far is impressive and why I have given him the nod for the OPOY in the Kenton Trail Division. If the OPOY were an all encompassing conference selection, he would get that nod as well...at this time.

That is true while Alder relies on Jewell for 59% of their rushes and 63% of their total offense, Shawnee spreads the ball a bit more with Meeks carrying 50% of the rushing load and 48% of the total offense.

Jewell, alone, has 50% of Shawnee's total offensive production. What he has accomplished thus far is impressive and why I have given him the nod for the OPOY in the Kenton Trail Division. If the OPOY were an all encompassing conference selection, he would get that nod as well...at this time.
Not everyone gets to run against cupcake competition either, the London game was a surprise as London had held him the 2 years prior but overall see who the competition is for all the yards accumulated. Will be interesting to see if Alder's line plays as well against Bellefontaine as they did against London. London ran all over Belle, will be another long night for the Chiefs if Alder's line plays even half as good as they did against London.

Not everyone gets to run against cupcake competition either, the London game was a surprise as London had held him the 2 years prior but overall see who the competition is for all the yards accumulated. Will be interesting to see if Alder's line plays as well against Bellefontaine as they did against London. London ran all over Belle, will be another long night for the Chiefs if Alder's line plays even half as good as they did against London.
Cupcake competition....that's a perspective. Not every team is as one dimensional or player dimensional as Alder is either. Remove his #2 and put a 🎯 on his jersey and that is what he faces week in and week out. Question...would Bellefontaine or London be better with him? This may not be about the competition as much as the athlete.

Bellefontaine has one defensive mission, stop Jewell and by the looks of their past games they haven't been able to stop many teams in the yardage category. Alder has a diverse mission to stop St. Clair passing, extending plays, rushing, covering Neer and Wilson and oh by the way Fogan. Compared to last year is Bellefontaine better? I would think so. Is Alder? Probably the same but a year can make a difference.

Cupcake competition....that's a perspective. Not every team is as one dimensional or player dimensional as Alder is either. Remove his #2 and put a 🎯 on his jersey and that is what he faces week in and week out. Question...would Bellefontaine or London be better with him? This may not be about the competition as much as the athlete.

Bellefontaine has one defensive mission, stop Jewell and by the looks of their past games they haven't been able to stop many teams in the yardage category. Alder has a diverse mission to stop St. Clair passing, extending plays, rushing, covering Neer and Wilson and oh by the way Fogan. Compared to last year is Bellefontaine better? I would think so. Is Alder? Probably the same but a year can make a difference.
Jewell is an electric football player. Playmaker! I think the Chiefs will have a tough time stopping him and will have to outscore JA. Bellefontaine does have a big DLine which could be a factor.

Week 9. I've taken several days off commenting on Yappi topics while enjoying some fires, beer, bourbon and conversation. I had a chance to pick my good friend's brain in his last year of scouting and listening to him reminiscence over the years he has put in on the road from the teams he has seen (what a list it is), to the fans in the stands, the bands and concession stands. The game has changed from the 8/16 mm films, VHS, DVD to Hudl. There is no longer a scout roost on the 50 yard line to chart the games and friendly banter but only a single person to offer a perspective of what they see real time as a "one off". The thing that stuck out to me is what he stated when he tells the coaches when going against a "subpar" team..."they are the best team you will play on Friday". Truly a pessimistic optimist if one was ever created.

Bellefontaine at Ader: Game of the Week. The Chefs are dangerous and have a lot of weapons. Though they may or may not have met expectations, they are still a quality team that can make conference and post season noise. Alder, is one dimensional and a threat to beat any team at any time. Passing versus rushing, who wins...weeeellll......Jewell, is as good as they get but when faced with a St.Clair, Neer, Wilson,Fogan and/or Scott the Pioneers may be out muscled. Will there be a defense in this game? Drew Pasteur has the Chefs by 4. With a lights out, exciting game I will take the. Chefs 48-45.

Kenton Ridge at London: I can write a lot of stuff both good and bad but I will save everyone the trouble and put the kitties to rest in this one and their playoff chances. Drew has the Red Raiders as 38 point favorites and I can not be any be any nicer if the Raider Frosh played...London clocks the Cougars 56-7.

Tecumseh at Urbana: I still like Donahoe, yes, he is a good HS player and should be recognized for that. The U needs this game to solidify their R16 playoff but reality is this could be their last win of the year. The Arrows? well, they need to be re-fletched. A win here only gets them to a solid Baden team in week 11 and I dont think scoreboards read in 100s. This will be the whiskey game, go ugly early. Drew sides with Urbana +27. My guess, Climbers 54-13.

Shawnee at Ben Logan: The best thing about a coaching staff that has been there, done that, is they don't over look the week they are in. From what I have heard, the Braves are bad arse fast with a lights out defense, take no prisoners and in your face...have I touted them enough? NO?
Well there is Meeks on the field that is a 1000+ rusher looking to add . Ben Logan has had a tough schedule and had a nail biter last week but this week ain't nothing like they've seen before. Drew gives the edge to Shawnee +40. Me? Braves 63-7...how's that LELL?

Northwestern at Indian Lake: Reid is still in the running for the Mad River OPOY but he will need all of that any some help to get by a solid Lakers team. Not a great chance of the Warriors getting to the playoffs but they could be a spoiler to upset seedings. The Lakers have played a great schedule but were reduced to reality last week. I am not giving up on the Lakers as they have a OPOY candidate in Lillard and IL needs this more than NW. Drew gives this one to the Lakers by 16. I say IL walks away 35-17.

Graham at North Union: It appears I will have no overtime prediction this week as there is cream and there is whey. The Falcons have undoubtedly played the toughest schedule but that does nothing to get them past a solid NU team. NU on their immaculate field will win this game and possibly the next to get them into the playoffs at 5-5. Drew says NU by 30, I will take NU in a total domination 54-10.

I think the divisional champs have been determined, now it is a matter of staying healthy and making good runs in the playoffs. Good luck to each team.
Your remark about a roost on the 50 brought back an old memory. I was helping Mickey Hannon at Central. That year he was calling plays from the press box ,something he did several times in his career. My job was to sit with him and write down the play calls. We go to play at J.Alder,our first time there. We ask where is the visitor press box. The AD points up and says up there,it’s a tiny platform on top of a light pole and there is no phone system or anything down to the field. No I don’t like heights so climbing this ladder up there was no fun. But the only way Mick and I could both fit at one time was my front against his back and I used his back to write on..Mickey just yelled the plays down to the coaches on the sideline that signaled them in. Needless to say we stayed up there at halftime but I believe we won the game.

That BHS Oline is a no name, often criticized group. They sure seemed to open up some big holes for Fogan at times tonight. Go Chiefs. Great job by the defense. Just hit their asses off.
Most or all offensive lines are no name and often criticized. If things aren't the coaches fault, it is always the lines fault. Never had I heard a bleacher coach yell at the RB to run harder or at the QB what are you looking at. It always comes down to the fatties carrying the load of responsibility for losses and very few times recognized for wins. I am glad you called them out in this good win. (y)

Again, good win for the Chefs and next week should give them a bit more confidence, to correct some things that may have been missing in the previous weeks, get healthy and represent the CBC in the playoffs.

Week 10

KT
London at Urbana
KR at Bellefontaine
Alder at Tecumseh

MR
Northwestern at Shawnee
Indian Lake at North Union
Ben Logan at Graham

projected playoff matchups with 1 week to go:

D3 R11
#2 London vs #15 Columbus Beechcroft
#8 Bellefontaine vs #9 Miami Trace

D4 R15
#12 Jonathan Alder @ #5 Logan Elm

R4 R16
#7 Shawnee vs #10 Waverly
#14 Urbana @ #3 Cincy Taft

D5 R18
#13 North Union @ #4 Oak Harbor
*gulp* #12 Indian Lake @ #5 Coldwater

That second round for London will be a good game. Will probably get Tri-Valley, who’s played pretty good. Regardless, I don’t think they can hang with Watterson so regional final is as far as they go imo.

Indian lake draw is rough. As is Urbanas likely opponent.
Shawnee could do some damage with that draw. Waverly, unioto, then likely Taft. Can definitely compete with all of those. Massie is a different story if they both get that far. Glad to say I was wrong at the beginning of the season about Shawnee.

Not sure how good Logan Elm really is but if Alder plays like how they did against London then they might be able to get a couple wins in the postseason. Bellefontaine will get destroyed by Watterson in week 12. North Union could surprise us and get to week 13.

That second round for London will be a good game. Will probably get Tri-Valley, who’s played pretty good. Regardless, I don’t think they can hang with Watterson so regional final is as far as they go imo.

Indian lake draw is rough. As is Urbanas likely opponent.
Shawnee could do some damage with that draw. Waverly, unioto, then likely Taft. Can definitely compete with all of those. Massie is a different story if they both get that far. Glad to say I was wrong at the beginning of the season about Shawnee.

Not sure how good Logan Elm really is but if Alder plays like how they did against London then they might be able to get a couple wins in the postseason. Bellefontaine will get destroyed by Watterson in week 12. North Union could surprise us and get to week 13.
If NU gets Oak Harbor in round one, they’ll be lucky to score.

projected playoff matchups with 1 week to go:

D3 R11
#2 London vs #15 Columbus Beechcroft
#8 Bellefontaine vs #9 Miami Trace

D4 R15
#12 Jonathan Alder @ #5 Logan Elm

R4 R16
#7 Shawnee vs #10 Waverly
#14 Urbana @ #3 Cincy Taft

D5 R18
#13 North Union @ #4 Oak Harbor
*gulp* #12 Indian Lake @ #5 Coldwater
I like the chances for all these potential match ups, except for D5...that is a different beast for those CBC schools.

R11, This region should come down to London and Watterson and London may surprise some folks in this buttttt..... The Chefs should, should, handle Trace easily but that puts them into a Watterson match up and I won't count them out. IMO, this not the toughest region in D3 but it has it's challenges.

R15, Alder is more apt to play St. Clairsville than Logan Elm and that may not be the draw they want. If Alder gets Logan Elm, they can win it, if it's St. Clairsville, well, no. Regardless, R15 will come down to Steubenville and Hartley.

R16, This could be a wide open region with several teams having a legit shot at the title. Shawnee and Waverly will be a good one. This may be one of those NCAA BB bracket tourney picks of 10 over 7 or Shawnee is actually that good to make a regional finals. I like the U in an upset but reality is Taft has been flying under the radar, usually has a REALLY big O line and athletes all over the field. As a note, Shawnee has never lost to Alter but has never beaten Clinton-Massie.

Division 5 as a whole, regardless of region, I am not so sure any CBC team could make it out of any of their regions. This is just my perspective and not diminishing the other divisions or regions the CBC teams play. D5, is freak'n loaded. IL has had a great season and accomplished more than I think most, including me, thought. NU has fought back from a slow start, took the Braves to the wire and will make the playoffs but this division will not be nice to these teams.

Considering the potential match ups, I predict the CBC to go 3-4 with only London surviving to a regional final.

Here we are week 10 and playoffs are appearing larger in the side view mirror. This is a big week for some to carry momentum into week 11, while others want to end on a high note.

KT
London at Urbana: Donahoe is the man when it comes to the U. He needs less than 150 yards rushing this week to a be a 1000/1000 yardage QB. That may will be a bit more difficult getting than previous weeks. If the U gets the upset, they have a shot to host next week. London is a team where nightmares are made. They do it all well and find ways to win. I would like to think this game could be a good one, down to the wire but the Red Raiders are too much and will take this game easily 48-14.

KR at Bellefontaine: The Chefs need this game to maybe clean up some things and prep for next week. Fogan needs a $1.69 to get that 1000 rushing yards. Could Neer actually break the school record with receiving yards in a game? Both are highly probable. Don't expect the Cougars to roll over considering the beatings they have taken the last three weeks and wanting to finish on a high note. All told, the Kittens have averaged less than 150 total yards the last games and have given up at least twice that yardage. However, the Chefs defense could be the wave they need to right the ship. Yardage don't win games and I am I going with Bellefontaine 56-10.

Alder at Tecumseh: I dont know where to begin with this. Jewell adds some carets to his pending OPOY crown with 300+ yards, maybe in the first 2 and quarter quarters. I like the Pioneers are showing a passing threat but this week it is not needed. The Broken Arrows have some things to address before next season. I love the scrappiness of Tecumseh but this game is not ideal on the schedule at this time. JA runs away 53-14.

MR
Northwestern at Shawnee: Shawnee met the expectation of winning the division but expectations never played, they had to take it. This game is for their out right ownership. The Warriors have times tasted success but at other times have not been very good. The bright spot, they have a Soph. QB that is tops in the division, for now, and up there with some defensive stats. Northwestern can build around this youngster. This game may not be as close as the score. Home of the Braves 63-14.

Indian Lake at North Union: NU started slow but are finishing strong, even taking the Braves to the wire. Skaggs is a 1100+ passer with a committee of rushers while the defense only gives up 8 points per divisional game. The Lakers tough schedule has prepared them for this moment while being stingy with points in their own right. The Lakers have an OPOY candidate and a strong rushing game. Both teams mirror each other in points scored this could be an offensive show, which I will lean that way. I will go with the Lakers in an upset 42-35 in OT.

Ben Logan at Graham: The Falcons have grown the Raiders have not. This should be a good game without considering their records but both teams are wanting some momentum going into next year and this game could be that springboard. I would suspect one of these teams could give fits to some divisional teams next year. Good things are coming. I am not letting the records, stats or anything else sway me in this decision, just my gut. Graham will break through for their first and only win this season, 28-20.

Good luck to all on Friday.