Regular season matchups you'd like to see!

Barberton Vs. Norton. They did play each other for a few years. Most of the games were lopsided, but Norton has had some solid years recently. Norton’s stadium isn’t very big though and when Norton would host I know Barberton would pack those away stands quickly.
Akron Springfield Vs. Akron North. They have done 7v7’s with each other and have scrimmaged each other in the past few years. Two programs that struggle every year, and they are not very far from each other.
Ironton Vs. Mogadore. Two small football towns that have a rich history in football.
Coventry Vs. Akron Garfield. Both schools are at most ten minutes away from each other. They do scrimmage each other, and Coventry did play them when they were Kenmore Garfield for a few years.

Last edited:
I want to see Glenville play Detroit Cass Tech or Edna Karr in Louisiana. Watched a documentary on Edna Karr they are the Louisiana equivalent. Won something crazy like 4 out of the last 5 state championships down there with kids routinely going to Bama, LSU, etc. Think it would be cool for two inner city powerhouses to play each other.

Massillon vs TCC
Want to see Eds really push themselves vs a OOS school like Duncanville in Texas.
Mentor vs Chardon
Medina vs Anderson. First to 70 wins lol
Avon vs Ursuline
Kirtland vs Marion Local whenever they arent in the same division

Steubenville vs. Ironton
Steubenville vs. Kirtland
Any MAC school or Kirtland vs. Wheeling Central Catholic (WV)
Martinsburg (WV) vs. Massillon or any other top D1 or D2 program
Central would get smoked by the best small schools in Ohio. Martinsburg would have hold their own and win some though

Now that I’ve seen a state title, I want to see Massillon at Odessa Permian.

IMG @ Hoban
Mansfield vs Warren
McKinley vs Glenville
Ed’s vs Bishop Gorman

Other in state games I’d love to see Massillon play at
Elder
MSML
Ironton
Avon
Kirtland
Glenville
Steubenville (It’s the closest thing you’ll ever see to Massillon vs Massillon.

Now that I’ve seen a state title, I want to see Massillon at Odessa Permian.

IMG @ Hoban
Mansfield vs Warren
McKinley vs Glenville
Ed’s vs Bishop Gorman

Other in state games I’d love to see Massillon play at
Elder
MSML
Ironton
Avon
Kirtland
Glenville
Steubenville (It’s the closest thing you’ll ever see to Massillon vs Massillon.
I heard that Massillons JV team played Ironton this year. Has there been any talks about the two schools playing a varsity game?

WPIAL vs NEO Challenge to be played week 3 before conference play.

Big school- WPIAL lacks big Catholic schools to match more than 1 up so I left Hoban and Iggy off.

6A PCC vs D1 St Eds - WPIAL 6A runner up vs D1 State Champs The 2 big bad private schools that everyone hates.

6A North Allegheny vs D2 Massillon- WPIAL 6A Champs vs Ohio D2 State Champs. IMO the 2 best big public schools between the areas.

6A Mt Lebanon vs D1 Shaker Heights- Battle between the 2 Old Money areas! Why not! LOL

5A Penn Hills vs D1 Canton McKinley Similar size, demographics, and traditional powers both made playoffs and won a few games this past year.

6A Canon MacMillan vs D2 Massillon Perry- the battle of the wrestling schools . Again, why not ?

5A Pine Richland or Peters Twp vs D2 Avon – WPIAL 5A runner up/Champs vs D2 State semifinalist. All 3 schools are Similar size, demographics, and powers as of late.

5A Gateway vs D2 Warren G Harding -Similar size, demographics, and tradition at both schools. Both having a down year.

Mid-Size Schools The most intriguing games and I would like to see a round robin

4A Aliquippa vs D4 Glenville* – WPIAL 4A champ vs D4 State Champs. 2 schools that punch well above their weight (Aliquippa is actually a 1A school that plays up at 4A), that produce a lot of D1 talent. Both accused of recruiting a lot. Aliquippa has produced more NFL HOF players than any other HS.

4A McKeesport vs D4 Steubenville*- WPIAL 4A runner up vs D4 state semi-finalist Similar size, demographics, and tradition

4A North Catholic vs D3 Ursuline- Midsized school Catholic battle.

Small School

3A Belle Vernon vs D5 Perry WPIAL 3A Champ vs D5 State Champs

2A Beaver Falls vs D6 Kirtland - WPIAL 2A Champ vs D6 State Champs

1A Fort Cherry vs D7 Dalton -The WPIAL 1A champ vs Ohio D7 State runner ups

1A Bishop Canevin vs D6 Canton Central Catholic - WPIAL 1A Semifinalist vs D6 State quarterfinalist- I wanted another 3rd Catholic battle

Back yard Brawl games- May not be the best match ups but the proximity makes it of local interest.

4A New Castle vs D3 Poland or D4 Struthers

2A Mohawk vs D7 Springfield.

1A Union vs D7 Lowellville

1A West Green/2A McGuffey vs D6 Bellaire or Martin's Ferry

Last edited:

Big school- WPIAL lacks big Catholic schools to match more than 1 up so I left Hoban and Iggy off.

6A PCC vs D1 St Eds - WPIAL 6A runner up vs D1 State Champs The 2 big bad private schools that everyone hates.

6A North Allegheny vs D2 Massillon- WPIAL 6A Champs vs Ohio D2 State Champs. IMO the 2 best big public schools between the areas.

6A Mt Lebanon vs D1 Shaker Heights- Battle between the 2 Old Money areas! Why not! LOL

5A Penn Hills vs D1 Canton McKinley Similar size, demographics, and traditional powers both made playoffs and won a few games this past year.

6A Canon MacMillan vs D2 Massillon Perry- the battle of the wrestling schools . Again, why not ?

5A Pine Richland or Peters Twp vs D2 Avon – WPIAL 5A runner up/Champs vs D2 State semifinalist. All 3 schools are Similar size, demographics, and powers as of late.

5A Gateway vs D2 Warren G Harding -Similar size, demographics, and tradition at both schools. Both having a down year.

Mid-Size Schools The most intriguing games and I would like to see a round robin

4A Aliquippa vs D4 Glenville* – WPIAL 4A champ vs D4 State Champs. 2 schools that punch well above their weight (Aliquippa is actually a 1A school that plays up at 4A), that produce a lot of D1 talent. Both accused of recruiting a lot. Aliquippa has produced more NFL HOF players than any other HS.

4A McKeesport vs D4 Steubenville*- WPIAL 4A runner up vs D4 state semi-finalist Similar size, demographics, and tradition

Small School

1A Bishop Canevin vs D6 Canton Central Catholic - WPIAL 1A Semifinalist vs D6 State quarterfinalist- I wanted another 3rd Catholic battle

Back yard Brawl games- May not be the best match ups but the proximity makes it of local interest.

This would be interesting to me.

Small School

Man you need to get some sponsors together because this would be great

Back-to-back doubleheader (same stadium) on a Saturday when OSU has a bye:

Marion vs Massillon
Kirtland vs St. Ed's

The big schools would win, of course. But dang it'd be fun to watch the little guys give it their best shot ... and just maybe surprise the big-school fans a little with their ability to hang in there for a while.

Martinsburg, WV is at it again. They won yet another WV class AAA championship in dominant fashion (against awful competition) and they are bragging that they not only dominate WV but beat state champs from Virginia and “teams from Ohio.” History lesson.. they beat Riverside in 2021 and LOST to Riverside in 2022.

My point being, they need a real taste of Ohio football to knock them off their high horse. They honestly think they’re the top high school team in the country every year.

Massillon, Hoban, St Eds, TCC, Moeller, someone please schedule them. Living on the Ohio/WV border all I hear about is how great Martinsburg is. When they did beat Riverside at home in 2021 they (a coach) got on social media and talked about how they now own Ohio. We need to make this game happen.

Since Glenville has such an unfair advantage over every high school football team in America and the world, I propose Glenville vs.

Ohio State
Michigan
Alabama
Texas
Georgia
Montreal Allouettes
Calgary Stampeders
Hamilton Tiger Cats
Saskatchewan Rough Riders
Dallas Cowboys
New England Patriots
Cleveland Browns
San Francisco 49ers
Kansas City Chiefs

Will THIS satisfy the Anti-Glenville Brigade? I don't know lol

Central would get smoked by the best small schools in Ohio. Martinsburg would have hold their own and win some though
Oh I don’t want Central to play top Ohio small schools because I think they would be good games. I want Central to play top Ohio small schools to see them get beat soundly. All I hear is how no one will play Central. Let them cross the river and head west of I-77 and north of I-70 and see the type of competition they can find.

I heard that Massillons JV team played Ironton this year. Has there been any talks about the two schools playing a varsity game?
Think they’ve played the last two years. I’m an Ironton fan and I’m not sure Ironton is ready for that smoke. Might keep it close for a half then get worn down in the second half. That being said I think Ironton only started 4-5 seniors this year. Future looks good.