WNBA All-Star Brittney Griner arrested in Russia on drug charges

Why Isn’t Brittney Griner the Biggest Sports Story in the Country?

Interesting article from this reporter. Not sure how someone can be as clueless as this person writing a whole story that already answered the question that he was posing. Why isn't it a bigger story? Because the WNBA is still a very small league with relatively few fans. If it was someone on the PBA tour or a star Corn Hole player (yes, ESPN televises alot of Corn Hole now), most people wouldn't pay attention to them either. Their names would be almost as unknown as Brittney Griner.
This must have been written by a WNBA media person. First of all it's not a big story because the WNBA isn't a big story. The WNBA continues to exist solely because the NBA supports it. The NBA negotiates it's TV deals with the WNBA included. It would be like MLB negotiating it's national TV contract to include Triple A games. Also, and this is rarely mentioned anymore and the WNBA got ahead of this, in it's early years, the WNBA was largely a league of lesbian basketball players and that's who it's audience was mostly. That's changed some over the years and the league has taken a cue from many other women's sports and has enhanced the looks of the women players to get more fans (guys) to watch. Turn a game on now the many of the women have fake eye lashes, makeup and nails when they play - and that's a college thing too. Any college player who's decent looking gets all kinds of publicity and media coverage.
Sue Bird may be one of the most recognizable stars of women's basketball ever. She was in a Corona commercial with Christian Laettner, Vince Carter and Devin Booker and they had to write in Carter speaking her name because the audience, a sports audience, had no idea who she is.
Needless to say Greiner's inability to connect with fans by being surly and standoffish has not helped her either. She criticized being American a few years ago with all the social protests. Marketing 101, that not the way to win people over.

Any discussion around Griner's release should also include Paul Whelan, a former marine who was arrested in 2018. He was also jailed on bogus charges. Hopefully with the spotlight on Griner, his continued plight will gain renewed traction.
Not sure about this Whelan guy.

Whereas Ms. Griner's case appears simple - guilty of bringing drugs into a country where it's illegal, and of being a clueless American - Whelan has too much serious baggage in his background not to invite scrutiny.

Let's start with Whelan's military conviction for theft and dishonorable discharge from the Marines. Then, he lied to his family about his military experience. He's already an international businessman working with Russian companies, so he's probably been down in the dunes and dealt with some goons (music reference there). And then he suddenly becomes interested in Russian culture and in meeting Russian men. Then he is forced to give Russian customs a large sum of money this last time he arrived in Russia, just before his arrest, and then he's caught with a thumb drive in his pocket?

Maybe the charges against Whelan are trumped-up slightly, but I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. Too many coincidences.

Last edited:
Not sure about this Whelan guy.

Whereas Ms. Griner's case appears simple - guilty of bringing drugs into a country where it's illegal, and of being a clueless American - Whelan has too much serious baggage in his background not to invite scrutiny.

Let's start with Whelan's military conviction for theft and dishonorable discharge from the Marines. Then, he lied to his family about his military experience. He's already an international businessman working with Russian companies, so he's probably been down in the dunes and dealt with some goons (music reference there). And then he suddenly becomes interested in Russian culture and in meeting Russian men. Then he is forced to give Russian customs a large sum of money this last time he arrived in Russia, just before his arrest, and then he's caught with a thumb drive in his pocket?

Maybe the charges against Whelan are trumped-up slightly, but I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon. Too many coincidences.
Perhaps. I just know that when he was brought before the court, the Judge audibly laughed at the lack of evidence. Yet here we are years later.

Any discussion around Griner's release should also include Paul Whelan, a former marine who was arrested in 2018. He was also jailed on bogus charges. Hopefully with the spotlight on Griner, his continued plight will gain renewed traction.
This will be very interesting to see how this plays out. There will be public outcry if Griner is released before Whelan. Honestly, never even knew Whelan's name until a few minutes ago.

A 6’8” ugly beast with tats all over her arms.
And on top of all that she went the hate YT American route before she even went to Russia.
America was the most racist country in the world.. oops Cringer forgot about or did not know what true racism looks Ike. The USA is the safest and by far has the most opportunity for POCs on the entire planet.
So sorry Cringer, only now sitting in a Russian prison do you realize how good of a place America truly is.
Just to show you all that I’m not a hard hearted individual, I’m still all for bring her dumb @$$ home. Even though I hate her attitude and her rainbow jihad lifestyle she is still an American.

This must have been written by a WNBA media person. First of all it's not a big story because the WNBA isn't a big story. The WNBA continues to exist solely because the NBA supports it. The NBA negotiates it's TV deals with the WNBA included. It would be like MLB negotiating it's national TV contract to include Triple A games. Also, and this is rarely mentioned anymore and the WNBA got ahead of this, in it's early years, the WNBA was largely a league of lesbian basketball players and that's who it's audience was mostly. That's changed some over the years and the league has taken a cue from many other women's sports and has enhanced the looks of the women players to get more fans (guys) to watch. Turn a game on now the many of the women have fake eye lashes, makeup and nails when they play - and that's a college thing too. Any college player who's decent looking gets all kinds of publicity and media coverage.
Sue Bird may be one of the most recognizable stars of women's basketball ever. She was in a Corona commercial with Christian Laettner, Vince Carter and Devin Booker and they had to write in Carter speaking her name because the audience, a sports audience, had no idea who she is.
Needless to say Greiner's inability to connect with fans by being surly and standoffish has not helped her either. She criticized being American a few years ago with all the social protests. Marketing 101, that not the way to win people over.
thing is I would rather go watch a Triple A game right now then a Major league game

And on top of all that she went the hate YT American route before she even went to Russia.
America was the most racist country in the world.. oops Cringer forgot about or did not know what true racism looks Ike. The USA is the safest and by far has the most opportunity for POCs on the entire planet.
So sorry Cringer, only now sitting in a Russian prison do you realize how good of a place America truly is.
Just to show you all that I’m not a hard hearted individual, I’m still all for bring her dumb @$$ home. Even though I hate her attitude and her rainbow jihad lifestyle she is still an American.
when she gets out... chances will be that she will still be a bitter human being

1657490430895.png

when she gets out... chances will be that she will still be a bitter human being
Yup. They’ll get her back and her attitude will be why didn’t you get me sooner!
Here’s a hint, don’t fly with drugs in the first place. Money she’s making she can get what she want in the good ole USA

thing is I would rather go watch a Triple A game right now then a Major league game
I actually just did that. Triple A game Thursday and major league games Sat/ Sun. Still take major league any day. Like to see the best of the best. Minors are much cheaper, but they have to be.

She is American and yes she needs to come home. But I think with all this we've been educated. There are other Americans locked up there, they just aren't famous people. Also, I certainly hope all those who railed against America the last few years now really sees the difference.

My favorite basketball player of all time, good lawd he makes it tough to ignore his stupidity off the court. Truly a brilliant basketball mind, that’s about where it ends for me.
What a colossal dummy with his political takes. I’m glad he finds solace in the way 10-20 yr old boys pay attention to him off the court.
In this case, I agree with LeBron. America is the most racist country in the world. Brittney Griner is probably a far happier person if she stays in a non-racist country like Russia

My favorite basketball player of all time, good lawd he makes it tough to ignore his stupidity off the court. Truly a brilliant basketball mind, that’s about where it ends for me.
What a colossal dummy with his political takes. I’m glad he finds solace in the way 10-20 yr old boys pay attention to him off the court.
Well most of America don't have her back since she turned her back on the USA by kneeling, right?

Well most of America don't have her back since she turned her back on the USA by kneeling, right?
I think her situation evokes the “who gives a shiite” with many, certainly when coupled with some of our other citizens being held abroad and her (proper pronoun?) past grievances with the U.S.

People just don't know lucky they have it in the USA. Go abroad or read the news concerning other countries laws. You steal, you get a finger cut off or women not covering themselves is being beat publicly. In certain cultures around the world, those are serious offenses. The grass is not always greener on the "other side".

People just don't know lucky they have it in the USA. Go abroad or read the news concerning other countries laws. You steal, you get a finger cut off or women not covering themselves is being beat publicly. In certain cultures around the world, those are serious offenses. The grass is not always greener on the "other side".
Some years back I read an article about a number of black American families who moved to the new "worker's paradise" sometime after the 1917 revolution - I believe the USSR actively recruited them as propaganda stunt. It would be interesting to hear the experiences of their descendants who still live there today.

Some years back I read an article about a number of black American families moving to the new "worker's paradise" after the 1917 revolution - I believe the USSR actively recruited them as propaganda stunt. It would be interesting to hear the experiences of their descendants who still live there today.
Wow. Did not know that.