WNBA All-Star Brittney Griner arrested in Russia on drug charges

I admit I haven't been whelmed by her situation. Why? When the news came out, the hyper-woke crowd vociferously denied she'd broke any laws. Then, they just as vehemently said it didn't matter if she did, because of her various political identities, which according to them are all-important. Finally, they proclaimed her a national hero worthy sending a SEAL team in to rescue.
Wow…you wouldn’t be allowed to write history books. The news I watched…arrested at airport with drugs in her luggage…taken into custody.

What you may be referring to IS NOT news.

Put another way…who cares what her advocates said?

Wow…you wouldn’t be allowed to write history books......What you may be referring to IS NOT news.

You're in good company! :cool:

But I think you're wrong there on the other part.. All news today is editorial comment and spin, and our media has certainly been somewhat generous to Ms. Griner, along with her supporters. What I was referred to is nothing more than that, in response to the part of your original lament about the lack of sympathy. Just trying to give some context as to why the dearth.

Last edited:
You're in good company! :cool:

But I think you're wrong there on the other part.. All news today is editorial comment and spin, and our media has certainly been somewhat generous to Ms. Griner, along with her supporters. What I was referred to is nothing more than that, in response to the part of your original lament about the lack of sympathy. Just trying to give some context as to why the dearth.
I think the response FOR Griner has been rather muted. She is, what? Our best female basketball player? In the top 5? Her crime is trivial…even you knuckleheads have to concede that. But, I suspect (don’t know for sure) that the US State Department is telling her supporters and advocates to because loud public advocacy just makes her more valuable…harder to get out…

I think the response FOR Griner has been rather muted. She is, what? Our best female basketball player? In the top 5? Her crime is trivial…even you knuckleheads have to concede that. But, I suspect (don’t know for sure) that the US State Department is telling her supporters and advocates to because loud public advocacy just makes her more valuable…harder to get out…
Muted on here, sure. I have no idea about across the country, since I'm not on Twitter, lol. Best female player? I'll take your word for it. Haven't followed women's basketball since the Ohio Quest folded, and Mrs. Z managed to appear in a Quest game photo in SI's year-end issue.

I would concede that no crime is trivial when it involves an American on foreign soil. And that brings us right back to the "should've known better" thingy.

Nevertheless, I "suspect" you know more than you let on. The question is, will the supporters and advocates listen?

Last edited:
Go to church sometime…these concepts are discussed in churches and faiths (even the most conservative). It will open your soul and help you to see Ms Griner as a fellow human…a sister!
Shall I attend one of these bastions of integrity?

Like I said, a debate worthy of it’s own thread.

You should re-examine my posts from the beginning, I’ve stayed consistent; I think Ms. Griner should be home by now. Unfortunately, we can’t impose our beliefs, values, and most importantly, laws on foreign governments, especially those with the power of Russia.

Mr. Heath just happened to be one of the first stories that popped up when googling “American Citizens Detained Abroad”. I don’t necessarily know too much about him other than, I’ve now heard about his case because of Griner. My “whataboutism” is why do you feel so passionately about Griner, but not all the other cases of Americans detained abroad?
You can feel sympathetic for whoever you’d like, I’ve never told you not to. Difference being, you’ve told me who I should be sympathetic for.

1658898447443.png
1658898462825.png

Nolan Ryan after getting hit in the face with a line drive off the bat of Bo Jackson, and LeBron James with a leg cramp!

LeBron is out of touch with reality and he's moron.

Biden administration offers convicted Russian arms dealer in exchange for Griner, Whelan

After months of internal debate, the Biden administration has offered to exchange Viktor Bout, a convicted Russian arms trafficker serving a 25-year US prison sentence, as part of a potential deal to secure the release of two Americans held by Russia, Brittney Griner and Paul Whelan, according to people briefed on the matter.

These sources told CNN that the plan to trade Bout for Whelan and Griner received the backing of President Joe Biden after being under discussion since earlier this year. Biden's support for the swap overrides opposition from the Department of Justice, which is generally against prisoner trades.

Biden administration offers convicted Russian arms dealer in exchange for Griner, Whelan

There must be an envelope full of cash in it for Biden to make that kind of deal.

Shouldn't be dealing with terrorist.

Cat Alum - perhaps since you're so concerned you could get off Yappi and head to Russia to represent Greiner pro bono. After all, your faith with no works behind it is just a dead faith. (James 2:14-26)

I bet the US and our "oppression" looks pretty damn good now!

Do they make a basketball version of The Longest Yard?

Maybe Biden can trade a gun runner whose actions killed Americans for her, and she can return to the country she hates.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop - Russia offers to rescind the verdict if she renounces U.S. citizenship to play for them full-time.

Last edited:
Well, insane, I take my punctuation marks seriously. I appreciate that you need to figure some kind of wiggle room here where you care nothing for Griner (and an historically unjust Russian system) but do care about this guy in Venezuela and a sham trial there.

Maybe you’re misunderstanding my use of the word “sympathy”. I think ALL religious groups do prison outreach, because ALL religious groups see worth in every human being. I can be sympathetic to someone who is in jail but also conclude they deserve their punishment. In Griner’s case, I’m sympathetic AND I don’t think she is being punished fairly.

Go to church sometime…these concepts are discussed in churches and faiths (even the most conservative). It will open your soul and help you to see Ms Griner as a fellow human…a sister!
So has she proclaimed Christ as her lord and savior?
If she has not she is not a sister in Christ <— I assume this is what you mean.
Does that mean we should condemn her? No. She needs to find repentance in her heart and ask for forgiveness.. Now maybe one day she will.. I would hold your breath.

So has she proclaimed Christ as her lord and savior?
If she has not she is not a sister in Christ <— I assume this is what you mean.
Does that mean we should condemn her? No. She needs to find repentance in her heart and ask for forgiveness.. Now maybe one day she will.. I would hold your breath.
My comment was directed at insane, not Griner.

What is it, specifically, that you think she needs to repent for?

Statement by President Joe Biden on the Sentencing of Wrongfully Detained American Brittney Griner

Today, American citizen Brittney Griner received a prison sentence that is one more reminder of what the world already knew: Russia is wrongfully detaining Brittney. It’s unacceptable, and I call on Russia to release her immediately so she can be with her wife, loved ones, friends, and teammates. My administration will continue to work tirelessly and pursue every possible avenue to bring Brittney and Paul Whelan home safely as soon as possible.

This is the kind of rhetoric that turns people off to Joe Biden completely. Most people would agree that every country has the right to it's own laws regarding drugs. Some are much more severe and others have decriminalized them. We have chosen as a country to decriminalize them and make the users into victims. What she did was a crime and the country had a right to detain her. Doesn't matter if it was Russia or any other foreign country that she visited. Making an outrageous statement that a foreign country "wrongfully detained" her makes Biden look old and detached.

Fight for her freedom if he wants but avoid the needless rhetoric.

My comment was directed at insane, not Griner.

What is it, specifically, that you think she needs to repent for?
Ah her sins?
So as far as her direct problem with Russian law, she is only upset that she got caught. she is by no means sorry for what she did.

Statement by President Joe Biden on the Sentencing of Wrongfully Detained American Brittney Griner

Today, American citizen Brittney Griner received a prison sentence that is one more reminder of what the world already knew: Russia is wrongfully detaining Brittney. It’s unacceptable, and I call on Russia to release her immediately so she can be with her wife, loved ones, friends, and teammates. My administration will continue to work tirelessly and pursue every possible avenue to bring Brittney and Paul Whelan home safely as soon as possible.

This is the kind of rhetoric that turns people off to Joe Biden completely. Most people would agree that every country has the right to it's own laws regarding drugs. Some are much more severe and others have decriminalized them. We have chosen as a country to decriminalize them and make the users into victims. What she did was a crime and the country had a right to detain her. Doesn't matter if it was Russia or any other foreign country that she visited. Making an outrageous statement that a foreign country "wrongfully detained" her makes Biden look old and detached.

Fight for her freedom if he wants but avoid the needless rhetoric.
Kamala Harris imprisoned millions of black men in California for Marijuana. Many are still imprisoned. The hypocrisy is glaring

How about this?
The U.S. reportedly offered to swap the two for convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, and Russian officials have also asked the U.S. to include a convicted murder and former Russian spy named Vadim Krasikov, according to CNN.

So is the US going to give up an arms dealer and murder? That is hard NO from me.

Reactions: y2h
They had a guy on CNN a few minutes ago and basically said that everything in this case has been pretty standard for Russia. Also said that what is making this a bigger case and allowing Russia to be in the driver's seat for prisoner swaps is the attention that the American press has given this story.

The reporters seemed very surprised as they thought it was a direct attempt by the Russians to "get" a famous American.

I bet the US and our "oppression" looks pretty damn good now!

Do they make a basketball version of The Longest Yard?
Not quite, but in "He Got Game" Ray Allen's fictitious Jesus Shuttlesworth was a hot shot high school recruit and his dad (Denzel Washington) was in prison but was let out to woo his boy to Big State University - the warden was a big basketball booster there. Now since cheating is legal due to NIL, Denzel would have just sit in jail and the warden just pay Jesus straight up. What a country!