St.V-St.M 2022

Yes but they are the exception, not saying there aren’t good CYO players cause there are. I mean look at Walsh baseball/ girls soccer or even StV basketball, in order to be competitive and compete now a days you need to have a larger pull than the local Catholic grade schools.
Another point to this is that there are FAR fewer Catholic grade school kids than there were even 10 years ago. And FAR fewer football teams ... especially in Summit County. The same can be said for basketball. When my son was an 8th grader about 10 years ago, his class had 3 basketball boys teams while the 7th grade had 2 teams. This year there is one team amongst the 2 grades. And I can't tell you how long its been since his school had a football team of its own. And most Summit County Catholic grade schools are in the same boat. So there are far fewer CYO athletes for the Catholic high schools to fight over!

Last edited:
14. Better talent assessment and utilization.
15. Professional S & C program
16. Repair locker room. Don't promote some players and ignore other more talented players.

Another point to this is that there are FAR fewer Catholic grade school kids than there were even 10 years ago. And FAR fewer football teams ... especially in Summit County. The same can be said for basketball. When my son was an 8th grader about 10 years ago, his class had 3 basketball boys teams while the 7th grade had 2 teams. This year there is one team amongst the 2 grades. And I can't tell you how long its been since his school had a football team of its own. And most Summit County Catholic grade schools are in the same boat. So there are far fewer CYO athletes for the Catholic high schools to fight over!

Here's a quote from a recent Beacon article from retired Walsh coach Gerry Rardin that pretty well sums it up-

"Catholic school football was in transition. For the majority of my time, we got most of our players from our feeder schools. The landscape changed drastically, quickly. Kids in our feeder schools were not playing football. For example, by the time I retired, Holy Family [in Stow] was not fielding any teams.

I really wish him well and hope that he can return the program to prominence. It would be a great story.

That being said, I am skeptical. He's a 59 year old coach with a sub-.500 career record taking over a program whose varsity, JV and freshman team (28 players) were all sub-.500. Their main rival is getting the bulk of the top area football talent and their second biggest private school rival is improving in leaps and bounds. To re-establish that program he has to do something that makes kids the top kids and their families want to go to SVSM and I'm not sure he's that guy. I hope to hell I am wrong.

If they'd have done a search and come to the conclusion after screening and interviewing candidates that he was THE guy, I'd be a little less skeptical but the haste with which this went down indicates they they may have taken the easy way out. Like I said, I hope I am wrong in this one.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. He has the name and I think that is exactly what STVM was looking for. That is such a big deal to the administration at the school, they have a name that is well known in the community and that is good enough. It seems his past record was not considered at all, which is a shame for a prestigious program. I also hope that I am wrong but, I feel that that your skepticism is well warranted. Only time will tell.

This is the schedule that awaits the Irish next fall, per Arbiter Sports.
7 of the 10 weeks have committed opponents. Assuming Walsh and Hoban fill out weeks 8 and 10, that leaves just week 2 as an open date.

Wk 01 FR 08/19 HOME GLENVILLE
Wk 02 FR 08/26 TBD OPEN
Wk 03 FR 09/02 HOME BARBERTON
Wk 04 FR 09/09 HOME BUCHTEL
Wk 05 FR 09/16 HOME SANDUSKY
Wk 06 FR 09/23 Away at Warren Harding
Wk 07 FR 09/30 Away at Youngstown Ursuline (YSU Stadium)
Wk 08 FR 10/07 HOME HOBAN (?)
Wk 09 FR 10/15 Away at Columbus Bishop Hartley
Wk 10 FR 10/22 Away at Walsh Jesuit (?)

Wk 11 (10/28) thru 16 (12/2) OHSAA Playoffs

I’ll say one thing, SVSM continues play up, instead of hiding in their division. Good luck next season coach. GO IRISH !!!

7 of the 10 weeks have committed opponents. Assuming Walsh and Hoban fill out weeks 8 and 10, that leaves just week 2 as an open date.

Wk 02 FR 08/26 TBD OPEN

Nice schedule

Wk 02 FR 08/26 TBD OPEN

it says on hudl that we are facing in this order
wk 01 Glenville
wk 02 TBD
wk 03 BARBERTON
wk 04 BUCHTEL
wk 05 SANDUSKY
wk 06 Warren Harding
wk 07 Ursuline
wk 08 Hoban
wk 09 Cleveland Heights
wk 10 Walsh Jesuit

it says on hudl that we are facing in this order
wk 01 Glenville
wk 02 TBD
wk 03 BARBERTON
wk 04 BUCHTEL
wk 05 SANDUSKY
wk 06 Warren Harding
wk 07 Ursuline
wk 08 Hoban
wk 09 Cleveland Heights
wk 10 Walsh Jesuit
Also when I was at stvm (wattley's last year)2017, there was a huge emphasis on defense from freshman on up and I feel like ever since he left that's what we've lacked in the last four years cause when he was here we never allowed more than 30+ points to Hoban we need that defensive stigma back with a more realistic and powerful offense.That defensive mind set was how we were winning majority of our games with that's what we need to install again.

The process of replacing the HC started in the latter part of the season. He seemed distracted and his attention to detail was absent. The committee talked to many people and to select people on the staff and knew the decision had to be made and that Cistone was the correct choice.

Here's a quote from a recent Beacon article from retired Walsh coach Gerry Rardin that pretty well sums it up-

"Catholic school football was in transition. For the majority of my time, we got most of our players from our feeder schools. The landscape changed drastically, quickly. Kids in our feeder schools were not playing football. For example, by the time I retired, Holy Family [in Stow] was not fielding any teams.
When we left Firestone Park for Stow, I had to go to Highland Elementary for a year, until Holy Family had room to accept new students. St. Pauls had 4 separate classes for each grade. When I was at Holy Family, I think there were 10 schools in our CYO football league. Akron had 80,000 to 100,000 more residents than they do now. The suburbs have grown, but I’m surprised that they can still field 3 High School football programs, and that all are capable of playing high caliber football.

I think it’s a “shake my head” instance that Bobby Nichol has been hired at Revere. I wonder if he used Terry Cistone as a reference???

In actuality this is a much better fit for Nichol. He was a public school guy so not in the St V building. Revere created a teaching position for him. He plays in a league he’s familiar with, and the expectations are no where near those at SVSM. If he produces competitive teams and beats arch rival Copley once in a while they’ll be happy and he could be at Revere a long time.

Additional upgrades continue in the weight room and field house. New hires in the building and the coaching staff that bring a wealth of experience and success. Cistone is fully aware of the task in hand and working hard to build the foundation for the future. opportunities will be a available vs sitting the pine for a possible ring. Let’s not forget the Improvements to the academics are impressive.

the official schedule

week 1 Glenville
week 2 Lorne Park (Canada)
week 3 Barberton
week 4 Buchtel
week 5 Sandusky
week 6 Warren g Harding
week 7 Ursuline
week 8 Hoban
week 9 Cleveland heights
week 10 Walsh

Lorne park has a historic program:
Peel Champions

1965 1969 1977 1980 1981 1983 1984

1985 1986 1987 1989 1994 1999 2000

2001 2002 2013 2014 2017 2018

Provincial Champions

2000 2013 2014 2017 2018

Last edited:
Mooney trying to regroup. Let’s hope that The Cards can rebuild and become a power in the future.
Also we need to face the toughest competition possible if we are to beat Hoban this year. we need a yoga instructor as well so that we can a void long term injuries!!!!

Week 2 a home game?

What is the fascination with teams from Canada? No Ohio schools available to play?

correction no Ohio school want to play them because stvm is still to this day very hard to beat.
Wow. That seems kind of hard to believe, but I am sure your info is better than mine. Bottom line, just because you have two schools with the same open date doesn't mean they can come to an agreement to play one another.