Solon/Euclid week 8 will not be played.

Solon offered to host the game instead, Euclid declined. Very sad story overall. I think Euclid is a great new venue for high school football and have enjoyed taking in games there without any incidents, but the reality is it's unsafe. Pretty surprising to see Solon just say forget it entirely and forfeit though.
Euclid says "forfeit," Solon says "no contest" and sighted OHSAA regulations. Why did you choose "forfeit" in your thread title and not "no contest?"

Remember, there are two different organizations that have different standards. This could be a no-contest by OHSAA rules and a forfeit based on the league's rules. This could affect their league standings and placement but not affect the Harbin totals.

A few years ago, a Senate team allowed a player who had a low GPA to play in a game. The Senate League had a higher minimum GPA than the OHSAA. The player was ineligible to play in the Senate League game but was eligible to play in the OHSAA game. The Senate League called it a forfeit but the OHSAA still counted the game in the Harbins because the player was eligible by their rules.

This became an issue because the second-level points would have changed playoff seeds or possibly teams, can't remember which right now.

They've been Friday afternoon for years. Most of the fields don't have lights. I think only the field off E 55th and Collingwood have lights. They rest are afternoon. easier to play after school on Thursday or Friday than to get kids with limited bussing to the fields on Saturday afternoon.
I played at John Adams from 88-91 and all Senate games were Friday at 3 or Saturday at noon. Out of conference away games were the only time we played on Friday night 😞

Last edited:
I have been going to high school football games since 1982,last year went to Euclid for a playoff game was the first and only time I had a metal detecting wand used on me….
Meanwhile, I set off their metal detector last year at the Ignatius playoff game, I stood there waiting to be wanded....and they just waved me on without even checking....yeah, haven't been back since

I have been going to high school football games since 1982,last year went to Euclid for a playoff game was the first and only time I had a metal detecting wand used on me….
So it seems like it was Euclid that requested Brunswick to host last week over a concern about safety at homecoming. Euclid moves homecoming to this week. I'm guessing that Solon saw the cryptic message from the Euclid AD concerning the homecoming safety issues and saw that homecoming was moved to this week and offered to host instead but were turned down.

Feel terribly for the kids on the team/band/cheer who now miss a game over something they have nothing to do with. I'm forced to see the problems at Euclid as serious because Solon wouldn't make a drastic decision like this lightly.

I’m guessing that Solon is 1-6 and doesn’t want to honor a commitment to a fellow conference member! Typically classless!

If Euclid (or any school) cannot guarantee the safety and security of visiting teams and players, then why would any other school seek out or continue a league affiliation with them?

My son played for CVCA and we played VASJ at Sparky in Euclid in 2019 and the CVCA locker room was robbed during the second half sometime. They got away with several iphones, shoes, and hoodies. No one could believe that they leave the locker rooms open and unattended during the game

I’m guessing that Solon is 1-6 and doesn’t want to honor a commitment to a fellow conference member! Typically classless!
Really? After all the Euclid news stories in the last week and this is the take? Instead, maybe they felt a forfeit was more worth it than exposing students and fans to a high risk of potential harm. We are talking about a game in Euclid in 2023, not 1993. It was degrading quickly when I lived there for a year in 2004

I believe Solon is sincere about the safety issue. I don't blame them for worrying about safety first and not being concerned with one of the most meaningless games in Ohio this season. Both teams are 1-6 and if one should make the playoffs, they are headed for a big beat down by one of the top seeds in Region 1 or 2.

It would have been nice to have played for all sorts of reasons. This was the last potentially beatable opponent on the Euclid schedule. Plus, the kids of the two schools have their season marred by this shameful issue and lose a chance to compete / cheer / perform / see a game. We are 0 for Ohio since 2020 and this might have been a win. I'm sure Solon feels the same way. Probably with more reason lol!

This certainly needs to be addressed in the future. Future being now.

Last edited:
I have a feeling Euclid will be hosting a game this weekend.
You think it will be Solon or will they reach out to, say, a Cleveland Senate team? I don't see them doing that myself. One year not too long ago, Euclid only played a 9-game schedule. Columbus Mifflin was open that same week and I thought one might reach out to the other, but neither did.

Really? After all the Euclid news stories in the last week and this is the take? Instead, maybe they felt a forfeit was more worth it than exposing students and fans to a high risk of potential harm. We are talking about a game in Euclid in 2023, not 1993. It was degrading quickly when I lived there for a year in 2004
Yes, it's a very sad story. I have seen Euclid in the national news for vicious neighbor disputes and other delightful occurrences over the years. Like the incredible decline of the Euclid Square Mall. I attended the opening day in 1976 and I was told by a friend when visiting Euclid "Go visit it now!" in 2001. I was shocked. I didn't even feel safe there. Used to go there all the time. Amazon is on that site now. Euclid was considered by many to be an idyllic community to live and raise children in, when I lived there. The schools were generally regarded as being excellent. It's my hometown and it really irks me when it gets bad pub, especially national pub, for this type of thing.

Last edited:
My son played for CVCA and we played VASJ at Sparky in Euclid in 2019 and the CVCA locker room was robbed during the second half sometime. They got away with several iphones, shoes, and hoodies. No one could believe that they leave the locker rooms open and unattended during the game
Same thing happened to Walsh Jesuit at a game in Trotwood (outside Dayton) in 2000, except it was in the first half.

Remember, there are two different organizations that have different standards. This could be a no-contest by OHSAA rules and a forfeit based on the league's rules. This could affect their league standings and placement but not affect the Harbin totals.

A few years ago, a Senate team allowed a player who had a low GPA to play in a game. The Senate League had a higher minimum GPA than the OHSAA. The player was ineligible to play in the Senate League game but was eligible to play in the OHSAA game. The Senate League called it a forfeit but the OHSAA still counted the game in the Harbins because the player was eligible by their rules.

This became an issue because the second-level points would have changed playoff seeds or possibly teams, can't remember which right now.
Any league that would give a forfeit over safety I wouldn't want to be a part of.

Im sorry but this made me laugh because we (Solon, ironically enough) got robbed during halftime of a a sectional basketball game at Euclid in 2011 back when the site for District semis and finals hosted all the games. Everybody brought locks for the next game 😂

I will say I went to at least 30ish events at Euclid growing up and additional 20ish now that Im an adult. 99% of these games were playoff games or neutral site games and I never felt unsafe. Im talking Bene/Vasj home games, playoff football games, basketball district titles, etc. Even back in the day when Collinwood and Glenville played in a classic District championship there I didnt feel unsafe as a kid. My brother went to Bedford and in the LEL they would play some of the games on Saturday afternoon especially basketball. Euclid games no matter the sport were always at night because it was safe. Whats even more mind boggling is the fact that Euclid not good at anything so how many ppl are going to these games? And they still cant keep it under control?? Everything else they host up there with bigger crowds go just fine. As long as a Euclid team isnt actually involved Euclid is a great place to take in a game, which is insane.

Solon offered to host the game instead, Euclid declined. Very sad story overall. I think Euclid is a great new venue for high school football and have enjoyed taking in games there without any incidents, but the reality is it's unsafe. Pretty surprising to see Solon just say forget it entirely and forfeit though.
Is this like Cleveland Browns stadium is dangerous 🤣

It's very sad that Solon is running scared. Show up and play the game, the fans can decide whether they want to attend or not.

I grew up in Euclid, moved to Lake County many years ago. My parents stuck around in Euclid (Babbit, Euclid ave area) until 2010. The neighborhood turned into a war zone. I was begging my parents for years to get out. Literally prisoners in their house. Open drug dealing, SWAT raids on the street, police on the street all hours of the day and night, gangs of kids milling around. When they finally sold the house they practically had to give it away. The only interest was from these companies who are absentee landlords. Growing up, the area between Euclid avenue and the freeway always was, at it's best, the lower tier of middle class economically (2 low income housing developments, lots of apartments). We had our crime issues but it was nothing like it is now. We walked the streets at night, didn't lock doors, never felt unsafe.
And I don't necessarily blame all the issues on single parent upbringing. Most of my friends lived the apartments, only had Mom and they turned out fine. Never heard of a kid having access to a gun.

When Euclid built the new stadium, I thought that was great but there was no way I was going to take in a game there. I've read some of the comments where it was suggested play an afternoon game, but I don't think that solves the safety issues. Look at what is happening in/around the schools during the day. What my dad predicted came true. When I graduated high school I told him one day I would like to buy a house in the neighborhood. He told me to get out. Don't live in a city that abuts Cleveland, don't live in a city with a lot of rental property and don't live in a city on a bus line. I just wished he followed his own advice and got out earlier so his quality of life was better in his elder years.

I think it is hard to fault either side in this without the details of what is going on. Euclid last week obviously felt it could not control the crowd. Does that mean outsiders coming in? Does that mean adults? Does that mean their students? I read somewhere that they've taken a lot of steps to curtail some things, making all students have to have their visible "Euclid ID", no students from schools not competing on the field allowed in and I am sure there are others.

I would bet that Solon and Euclid's administrations had more truthful talks about what was occurring. What is interesting to me is Euclid feels like it is safe to host the game now and Solon doesn't trust it.

Mentor played in a game at Euclid stadium last season, a playoff game I believe. At the conclusion of the game as the players were entering the locker rooms and fans were leaving the stadium there was a series of gunshots. Police rushed the field and told players to get on their busses immediately. The initial concern was that the shots were on the school grounds, even at the stadium. But, investigations discovered that the shots were actually fired on a cross street a block or so from the stadium. Many calls went to parents, from their players who were alarmed, that there was a live shooting situation.

Does anyone actually know what happened that made Euclid move the last game?
I have no facts but if I had to guess, it's not any single event. It's what happens in Euclid on a daily basis. There is link in a comment above pointing out how the police have been on the school campus on a regular basis because of ongoing violence, not to mention the overall crime issues in the city. When I went to Euclid, we had 3000 kids in the school and for the 3 years I was there the police were not at the school one single time. We had our fair share of issues at games (think of the rivalry with Joe's) but it was unheard of that a gun or any weapon was in the equation.

I feel badly for the many good citizens in the city, the players and coaches, the band, cheer team and the leadership of the school and athletic programs. These are not the people creating the problems. Every kid deserves a rewarding school experience. Having games with no one in attendence or outright cancelling games is not a solution. When that happens, the thugs win.