Solon/Euclid week 8 will not be played.

Iron Mike really summarizes it well in his last two posts. We played basketball up here a few decades ago, Doc Daugherty’s early years. Each player housed with one of Euclid’s players overnight, and we returned to our hometown the next day. A fun trip. Nice, quaint, peaceful suburb then; war zone now. So sad

I can't see why they just can't get a heavier police presence there for a couple of hours. Ask some neighboring areas for a cruiser, county sheriff etc. You shouldn't have to be scared to come to play a football game. I get Solon's point of view, but why penalize the Euclid kids for the nonsense that goes on around the facility. Also, why not just let parents with kids on both teams in? They limited it to that during Covid. I just hate seeing kids penalized for stuff they can't control.

I'm forced to see the problems at Euclid as serious because Solon wouldn't make a drastic decision like this lightly.
I'm also forced to think Euclid doesn't believe it's that serious if they took more significant action the week before but decided such actions weren't necessary this week.

This is probably an unfortunate precedent moving forward where it will become acceptable for wealthy suburban districts to opt out of games against more urban (minority) schools.

If Euclid (or any school) cannot guarantee the safety and security of visiting teams and players, then why would any other school seek out or continue a league affiliation with them?
To be fair, nobody can guarantee anyone's safety and security regardless of location.

I’m guessing that Solon is 1-6 and doesn’t want to honor a commitment to a fellow conference member! Typically classless!
I think there's probably some truth to this. If Solon was the Solon of a decade ago and, say 6-1 instead of 1-6, I would venture this game gets played.

This is probably an unfortunate precedent moving forward where it will become acceptable for wealthy suburban districts to opt out of games against more urban (minority) schools.
Really? That's what this is about? Wealth and race? And not about a school who had to move their game a week ago based on threats of violence and their opponent this week not believing it to be a safe environment yet? Its about a wealthy suburb not wanting to play an urban minority? You should just go ahead and say the words that you want to.

I think there's probably some truth to this. If Solon was the Solon of a decade ago and, say 6-1 instead of 1-6, I would venture this game gets played.
Lol yeah right if this was a decade ago and Solon was 6-1 with a playoff berth all but guaranteed there would have been zero offers to host the game nevertheless still let them have their senior night ceremony there

Really? That's what this is about? Wealth and race? And not about a school who had to move their game a week ago based on threats of violence and their opponent this week not believing it to be a safe environment yet? Its about a wealthy suburb not wanting to play an urban minority? You should just go ahead and say the words that you want to.
I think I did say the words I wanted to. That's why I posted them.

To say there isn't at least some socio-economic variables at play in Solon's decision is disingenuous at best.

Lol yeah right if this was a decade ago and Solon was 6-1 with a playoff berth all but guaranteed there would have been zero offers to host the game nevertheless still let them have their senior night ceremony there
A decade ago, Solon would have been jockeying for a first round home game. This game would have definitely been played.

You think? Solon might get more points from a bye week than beating a one-win Euclid team.
Maybe. Maybe not. I'm really not going to run the math on a DI win against a 1 or 2 win team versus a bye. I think that regardless, a team with actual post-season aspirations wouldn't want an open week this late in the season (barring any injury issues) when you're trying to ramp up for the playoffs.

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm really not going to run the math on a DI win against a 1 or 2 win team versus a bye. I think that regardless, a team with actual post-season aspirations wouldn't want an open week this late in the season (barring any injury issues) when you're trying to ramp up for the playoffs.
Canfield and Fitch could have played each other last week but they both preferred the bye.

You can blame the Mayor for what’s happening with Euclid. My folks still live there and crime is insane for the area.
With respect... how does the mayor control the absentee landlords who do zilch to maintain property, cascading it to a less desirable tenant each time it's turned over? The kids having access to guns because parent(s) leave them laying around, or a kid with $100 can buy a gun off the street. Zero parenting, leaving the kids to fend for themselves and fall in with the wrong crowds. The kids getting sucked into gangs because it's a "with us or against us" mentality or kids just sucked in by the bizarre allure to gangster life (thank hip hop for glorifying, but that's a separate rant). The people coming in from East Cleveland or Cleveland to sell drugs because the demand is there, leading to turf wars. I could ramble on and on. I get it there is some of this that can be cracked down on but I think it's grown to the point where they would need to double their police force to have a chance and with dwindling tax revenue, where does that money come from? It's like a cancer that has spread, at some point you lose the battle.

BTW, I enjoy your posts and and I'm not poking. Read this as ongoing constructive dialog.

Side note, I read another post commenting the police/security should be increased at events. Sorry fact is this costs money and I believe if it's going to end up running the expense related to sports an unsustainable level, they will just shut it all down. Concern for safety is valid but I think the equal or greater issue is what it costs to have the spectators confidence their only worry is if their team is gonna win, not making it home in one piece.

I think I did say the words I wanted to. That's why I posted them.

To say there isn't at least some socio-economic variables at play in Solon's decision is disingenuous at best.
So you said what you wanted to, camouflaged in benign language.

A decade ago, Solon would have been jockeying for a first round home game. This game would have definitely been played.
No chance. Played plenty of inner ring schools in all sports non conference and in conference with Shaker and Euclid for years with zero issues. The situation at Euclid is objectively bad and out of control..it would be wild if the cops were called to a Senate school 3 days in a ROW

I grew up in Euclid, moved to Lake County many years ago. My parents stuck around in Euclid (Babbit, Euclid Ave. area) until 2010. The neighborhood turned into a war zone. I was begging my parents for years to get out. Literally prisoners in their house. Open drug dealing, SWAT raids on the street, police on the street all hours of the day and night, gangs of kids milling around. When they finally sold the house, they practically had to give it away. The only interest was from these companies who are absentee landlords. Growing up, the area between Euclid Avenue and the freeway always was, at it's best, the lower tier of middle class economically (2 low-income housing developments, lots of apartments). We had our crime issues, but it was nothing like it is now. We walked the streets at night, didn't lock doors, never felt unsafe.
And I don't necessarily blame all the issues on single parent upbringing. Most of my friends lived the apartments, only had Mom and they turned out fine. Never heard of a kid having access to a gun.

When Euclid built the new stadium, I thought that was great but there was no way I was going to take in a game there. I've read some of the comments where it was suggested play an afternoon game, but I don't think that solves the safety issues. Look at what is happening in/around the schools during the day. What my dad predicted came true. When I graduated high school, I told him one day I would like to buy a house in the neighborhood. He told me to get out. Don't live in a city that abuts Cleveland, don't live in a city with a lot of rental property and don't live in a city on a bus line. I just wished he followed his own advice and got out earlier so his quality of life was better in his elder years.
Sad to have to say it, but this is a great post. I know all about the city (and Ironmike's particular area) and it's issues over the years and this post sums it all up as well as anything.

From a WLT standpoint the game is meaningless. Even if a victory puts one in the playoffs, big deal they (Euclid) get blasted by St Edward or Canton McKinley in round one. (Wadsworth and Cleveland Heights are also top 4.) You can't blame anyone for putting safety ahead of ANY football game, let alone one with 2 teams as bad as these are. Won't speak for Solon, but Euclid doesn't deserve a playoff spot. They have as much chance of winning the State Title as I do of hitting the next megabucks drawing of the Powerball Lottery.

Last edited:
From a WLT standpoint the game is meaningless. Even if a victory puts one in the playoffs, big deal they get blasted by St Edward or Canton McKinley in round one. (Wadsworth and Cleveland Heights are also top 4.) You can't blame anyone for putting safety ahead of ANY football game, let alone one with 2 teams as bad as these are. Won't speak for Solon, but Euclid doesn't deserve a playoff spot. They have as much chance of winning the State Title as I do of hitting the next megabucks drawing of the Powerball Lottery.
Did you buy a ticket? Because -- friendly tip here -- that might increase your odds dramatically.

Solon offered to host the game instead, Euclid declined. Very sad story overall. I think Euclid is a great new venue for high school football and have enjoyed taking in games there without any incidents, but the reality is it's unsafe. Pretty surprising to see Solon just say forget it entirely and forfeit though.
They would have gone if they were 6-1 instead of 1-6!

Perhaps the fact that Solon is leaving the GCC next year had some bearing on the decision? Would one of the other GCC schools, like Mentor or Strongsville, have played the game anyway in order to maintain a good relationship with their fellow league member?

I'm surprised Solon did not accept Euclid's offer to play at Solon, as that would give them an extra home game and a better gate. If I were a Solon fan, I would not be happy with the decision to cancel the game.