Recruiting our Middle School players...stay away

To any of the local schools that are trying to recruit our middle school players to come to your school...stay away. We work hard to develop our players from 3rd grade on. How about you try to develop your own kids rather than poach ours? I hate what high school ball is becoming!

Saw this posted on a local HS basketball X account. Not sure if it was the head coach or someone else who runs the account. I found it interesting to say the least. Right or wrong, the OHSAA needs to take notice. This is an issue that is dividing Ohio HS sports.
Nope, this is life. Under current rules, a student-athlete may enroll at another school prior to their freshman year with no penalty. There is nothing wrong with that. Now if a parent/ child choses said school soley based on athletics, I feel that's a poor decision but kids and adults make poor decisions every day.
A student isn't bound to a school for 12 years or 4 years of high school. You enroll each year. Now if you do not move, and go to a neighboring school district, you are supposed to sit the second half of the seasons of the sports you played with at the previous school. I feel that's very fair. If someone moves and established residency in the new school district, there is no rules being broken. And again if you're going to move specifically for sports reason, I feel that's not wise, but it's not breaking any rules.

The original X post bemoaned coaches recruiting kids, not kids making the decision to attend different schools. Not sure why people are defending kids’ rights to move schools - I don’t see anyone questioning it. It’s the slimy coaches trying to entice minors that are the target here.

The original X post bemoaned coaches recruiting kids, not kids making the decision to attend different schools. Not sure why people are defending kids’ rights to move schools - I don’t see anyone questioning it. It’s the slimy coaches trying to entice minors that are the target here.
Agree, Barbertons newly hired coach came from the city and two of his star players suddenly showed up there along with another player from a city team he played twice a year. Barberton was 0-23 last year so anyone that wants to say the coach had nothing to do with contacting these kids is clueless. And this is a problem.

Agree, Barbertons newly hired coach came from the city and two of his star players suddenly showed up there along with another player from a city team he played twice a year. Barberton was 0-23 last year so anyone that wants to say the coach had nothing to do with contacting these kids is clueless. And this is a problem.
Whats the problem? Especially with the two who left Akron East to play for their coach?

Yes they are allowed to explore and go to a stacked school rather than the kids they were playing youth with. My district school has the kids and parents sign a contract that reads they are planning on their kids attending said HS there. If the youth program is going to put their time and effort into them I think thats rightfully so. Although some sign it and have no intention on their son or daughter going there.
You have got to be kidding me. You think if a kid plays youth sports somewhere they are OBLIGATED to attend that school because of the time spent coaching them? Is this America or no? Contracts for youth players? Seriously, this is the dumbest take I've ever read on this topic.

You have got to be kidding me. You think if a kid plays youth sports somewhere they are OBLIGATED to attend that school because of the time spent coaching them? Is this America or no? Contracts for youth players? Seriously, this is the dumbest take I've ever read on this topic.
And here we go with yappi being yappi. I stated that they "PLAN" plan, plan on attending, not obligated. And maybe not a contract but an agreement would have been a better term. Would McK rather put time into kids that are "planning" on going to McK or put that time into kids that have no desire to go there?

Of course it means nothing but maybe moral character. Can't see whats so funny though. If you get a job and sign a non compete form, same type thing. Why should this company put in the time and effort to train you for you to take that somewhere else? Never mind, you won't agree, its yappi.
I’m not going to get nasty or anything, to each his own. Jobs change, priorities change, and at the end of the day we as parents can only do what we feel is best for our kids regardless of what others think about it. Public private home school no
School whatever it is we are all just doing our best.

If I am coaching an 8th grade middle school team and I have a player who is obviously not going to our high school I would cut him. It is not my job to prepare kids for other schools. I am paid to coach and develop kids in my schools program. Plus, the future transfer is taking game and practice minutes from kids that could probably benefit from more time and attention. I get that people move, get new jobs…family situations occur like divorce etc…and by all means people have a right to choose…but as a coach I have a right to choose as well. As a business owner I would never hire a person I knew was leaving in 9 months. That would very impractical. I coached (and son played) AAU a few years back…and yes I saw and heard just about everything on this thread. I saw kids play for 3 different high schools and end up nowhere. I saw kids turn down good, appropriate offers because coaches, parents and handlers thought they were big D1 school talent (they weren’t). Silly how big this has become because the reality is almost all kids will be done after high school..when you see real D1 talent it is rare..and mind blowing.

How about if you don't want kids leaving, do a better job selling yourself. Make your program one kids want to be a part of and they won't leave. Talk about low self esteem - begging people not to recruit your kids is like the guy scared every time his gf talks to another man. How about just make sure she wants to stay?

If I am coaching an 8th grade middle school team and I have a player who is obviously not going to our high school I would cut him. It is not my job to prepare kids for other schools. I am paid to coach and develop kids in my schools program. Plus, the future transfer is taking game and practice minutes from kids that could probably benefit from more time and attention. I get that people move, get new jobs…family situations occur like divorce etc…and by all means people have a right to choose…but as a coach I have a right to choose as well. As a business owner I would never hire a person I knew was leaving in 9 months. That would very impractical. I coached (and son played) AAU a few years back…and yes I saw and heard just about everything on this thread. I saw kids play for 3 different high schools and end up nowhere. I saw kids turn down good, appropriate offers because coaches, parents and handlers thought they were big D1 school talent (they weren’t). Silly how big this has become because the reality is almost all kids will be done after high school..when you see real D1 talent it is rare..and mind blowing.
And that's bunch of crap. Are you in it for your ego or for the kids? What do you care where they go or if they left because someone promised them something. Let them chase their dreams. Are you the one giving out scholarships? Make you feel better to tell a kid he isn't good enough? Davidson was the only school that wanted Steph Curry. How many people you think thought like you? Good for him for not listening

Good thing you're not an 8th grade coach then.

You're an awful coach then I'm not sure how else to say it. Your ego is out of control. You should want to help kids succeed not pad your resume. But at least your honest your own agenda is more important than what's best for the kid.

How about this, how about we worry about this current season, because no coach has any guarantees they will be coaching at that school or any school the next season. Good heavens folks, it's school sports. Stop acting like it's such a big deal.
If you are changing schools for sports, you'd better be D1 good, which is very, very rare. Most D2's are partial scholarships at best and anything under that is pay your own way. Just enjoy your high school years and make the most of them.

Talk about low self esteem - begging people not to recruit your kids is like the guy scared every time his gf talks to another man. How about just make sure she wants to stay?
The difference is that recruiting other kids is against the rules while hitting on another guy’s girlfriend isn’t.

Yes they are allowed to explore and go to a stacked school rather than the kids they were playing youth with. My district school has the kids and parents sign a contract that reads they are planning on their kids attending said HS there. If the youth program is going to put their time and effort into them I think thats rightfully so. Although some sign it and have no intention on their son or daughter going there.
Are you serious or just pulling our legs? If serious, what district do you live in that thinks this is a good idea?

Or its more of the relationship the kids built with the coach and they followed because they trust he has their best interest?

I don't agree with this because I've coached in a JH program where it was known that several kids were going to leave for their Freshmen year and because of the experience they had with the staff they stayed and had a very successful HS career

I don't agree with this because I've coached in a JH program where it was known that several kids were going to leave for their Freshmen year and because of the experience they had with the staff they stayed and had a very successful HS career
I can see that happening…nothing is written in stone and agree..provide a great experience….I laughed at the ego comment…those who know me know I have zero ego in coaching…and I have been out of coaching for a while…after 45 years as a player and coach I just enjoy watching now. Just today I got a call to coach a Frosh gals AAU Spring team but I like retirement 😜. Ego? My favorite team I ever coached was a jv team about 30 years ago..we won about 4 games…but…great kids…worked hard…really good teammates…always positive…one of my least favs but successful won 17 games but they were difficult..drama…selfish. My favorite thing was attending coaches clinics or watching other coaches..you can learn something from just about everyone. My comment was about kids you know are leaving…legacy kids etc…I do love when a player leaves…and comes back! Means you are doing something right 🙂

So if the rule didn't exist, you would be all for it? I guess that's my point - why even make it a rule? It only protects inferior coaches and schools.
I like to think it protects kids from being approached by unscrupulous adults who don’t have the kids’ best interests in mind. I mean, what grown person makes it a point to entice kids? Creepy and weird.

Had a bad experience with public school coaches for 2 of my 3 children. One was a starting guard who quit during his senior season because coach would not let him have some time off for academic studies. He was a 4.0 NHS engineering major. The other was a bench player who couldn't crack the starting lineup and dealt with cronyism his entire HS experience. My 3rd comes along and we decide to look for a private education with better coaches. Once the public HS coach found out he started showing up at MS games and trying to court our son. Actually came up to him on the floor after winning his conference tournament game and asked him if he wanted to go to an indoor zip line park and have ice cream and talk about HS ball. My 8th grade came up to me immediately and said WTH? Needless to say we sent him to private school and he had a wonderful experience. Sometimes parents go private because of a weak public school program and or academic situation. Wish I had sent the other 2 as well.

Actually, I think the job is to teach basketball, teamwork, etc not just be a feeder program. I bet you don't cut every kid who obviously isn't going to play varsity one day. Maybe you should have 5 players so they get all the minutes.

This is honestly one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read on here and that is saying something. And I am a public school guy lol. Unbelievable.

Coaches job is to educate and kids and make them better players and people, not run a training camp farm team for the local varsity lol. Or so I thought.