Recruiting our Middle School players...stay away

Would you agree that it is not an apples to apples comparison for west central Ohio to other areas of the state?
I acknowledge that the areas are different in many ways, but I’m not sure why that matters. What makes kids and families not even consider transferring for supposedly greener pastures in one area while it’s commonplace in another?

The question I have is why does a coach believe a player would be “better off by staying home”? That seems very self-serving.
Why does a coach think a player would be better off going to their new school? That is equally as self-serving.

I think we have some wild idea that schools with coaches that recruit actually have better situations for the kids.

Good question. My brother is in his 50’s and CVCA 🏀 recruited him in the late 80’s and my parents made the decision to send him. They recruited him along with a few more kids.
You see how aint nobody stuck in this narrative answered the "did the paroichals all suck in the 70s and 80s?" part Lol

You see how aint nobody stuck in this narrative answered the "did the paroichals all suck in the 70s and 80s?" part Lol
who cares what happened then. The thread is about a coach wanting other coaches to stay away from kids in his program. Absolutely nothing wrong with him wanting that?

I acknowledge that the areas are different in many ways, but I’m not sure why that matters. What makes kids and families not even consider transferring for supposedly greener pastures in one area while it’s commonplace in another?
If you are a kid in Northeast Ohio. You have the option to go to St. Ed’s, Ignatius that are powerful houses, with great environments from an education level and college preparedness level. If you are kid that is sectioned to go to Max Hayes, John Marshall or Rhodes. That makes the conversation comparing those two situations not even remotely the same. Like comparing apples to sports cars.

Or living in an East Cleveland suburban neighborhood. And within a 15-20 minute drive you have Cleveland Heights coached by an NBA pro, Brush same thing, Garfield Heights with a lot of prestige, Richmond Heights, and the list goes on. It is not the same. Action for action it’s the same but the context is different.

The pull isn’t the same in other parts of the state. Also, the magnets of the communities aren’t as strong as small town rural. It’s pretty clear.
I am curious to know. What do you think it is?

If you are a kid in Northeast Ohio. You have the option to go to St. Ed’s, Ignatius that are powerful houses, with great environments from an education level and college preparedness level. If you are kid that is sectioned to go to Max Hayes, John Marshall or Rhodes. That makes the conversation comparing those two situations not even remotely the same. Like comparing apples to sports cars.

Or living in an East Cleveland suburban neighborhood. And within a 15-20 minute drive you have Cleveland Heights coached by an NBA pro, Brush same thing, Garfield Heights with a lot of prestige, Richmond Heights, and the list goes on. It is not the same. Action for action it’s the same but the context is different.

The pull isn’t the same in other parts of the state. Also, the magnets of the communities aren’t as strong as small town rural. It’s pretty clear.
SIMPLE

That’s what I am thinking. Am I missing something here? I’m not sure why it is so hard to see.
Its really that simple. Also a couple other things. These programs dont do nearly as much recruiting reaching out, whatever as people think. The prestige does the heavy lifting. Also unlike rural Ohio all our family members didnt grow up going to the same school. I have cousins from 10+ schools in NEO. Me and my brother both went public and didnt even go to the same one.

I think it comes down to that magnet thing more than anything. We don’t have any big privates here but imagine a good Marion Local cross country runner opting to leave ML, where there is little history of success, to transfer to Minster, the top program in the state. It just doesn’t happen.

This is why people from this area look askance at the urban schools we often have to compete against at the state level. Sure, we’re all playing by the same rules but in our eyes the transfer culture/all-star team building stuff flies in the face of what high school sports is supposed to be about.

I think it comes down to that magnet thing more than anything. We don’t have any big privates here but imagine a good Marion Local cross country runner opting to leave ML, where there is little history of success, to transfer to Minster, the top program in the state. It just doesn’t happen.

This is why people from this area look askance at the urban schools we often have to compete against at the state level. Sure, we’re all playing by the same rules but in our eyes the transfer culture/all-star team building stuff flies in the face of what high school sports is supposed to be about.
Is the “transfer culture”/all-star team building” the same thing as parents making what they deem the best decision for their kid(s)? I thought high school sports was supposed to be about competing, learning life lessons and earning opportunities that maybe a kid wouldn’t have without high school sports. What do you think high school sports is supposed to be about?

Is the “transfer culture”/all-star team building” the same thing as parents making what they deem the best decision for their kid(s)?
I have no idea. Where I’m from our kids don’t transfer schools very often and when they do they don’t magically end up on stacked teams.
I thought high school sports was supposed to be about competing, learning life lessons and earning opportunities that maybe a kid wouldn’t have without high school sports. What do you think high school sports is supposed to be about?
Same as you, but throw fair play in there as well. As in, play with who you’ve got. Don’t encourage kids to attend your school to build a better team, because winning is the goal but not the main reason high school sports exist.

Still not even close to the same thing..

They shouldve just made a rural division and left the rest of us alone. None of the urban teams can sit there and wait for kids to enter the building because it wont happen. I live down the street from an "urban" school in an amazing location ppl have never heard of. You cant just say come to my school and then roll out the balls. Prime example: Garfield was the perfect senior night game before Sonny. Just as much hard work goes into success up here as it does down there it just looks different. The whole rural/ small town POV is just unrealistic. Like I just sat here and explained how nobody in my immediate family even went to the same school and here we are talking about defying "what high school sports is all about" lol

Oh and the main point of sports at any level will always be to have more points than the opposition nobody knows that more than MAC country.... until they lose to an "urban" school

Is the “transfer culture”/all-star team building” the same thing as parents making what they deem the best decision for their kid(s)? I thought high school sports was supposed to be about competing, learning life lessons and earning opportunities that maybe a kid wouldn’t have without high school sports. What do you think high school sports is supposed to be about?
Unfortunately there are far too many delusional parents who believe their kid is the next LeBron or Kelce, when in fact they aren’t even the next Jimmy or Joe. So they keep moving them around- some even in the middle of a semester, some multiple times during high school. Too often with a lack of a stable home life or focus of academic achievement. So no, I don’t think all of the parents have their child’s best interests at heart - sadly, I think it is often about their own egos.

Unfortunately there are far too many delusional parents who believe their kid is the next LeBron or Kelce, when in fact they aren’t even the next Jimmy or Joe. So they keep moving them around- some even in the middle of a semester, some multiple times during high school. Too often with a lack of a stable home life or focus of academic achievement. So no, I don’t think all of the parents have their child’s best interests at heart - sadly, I think it is often about their own egos.
Spot on, little Johnny is only getting 24 minutes a night, he should be getting more or we're pulling him out to go to XYZ. You benched him to teach him a little life lesson, we're pulling him out of your program. Its actually an utter joke.