Recruiting our Middle School players...stay away

What the F does that have to do with the current topic. Youve gone off the deep end over 8th graders and their families choosing a different high school. I also volunteer and just show up to whatever Fin school the kid goes to and support. Novel concept I know
It was in response to your quote, yes off the main topic but you're quote I shouldn't be around kids. Follow along.

The use of "our" in the title says most everything you need to know.
When I coach youth kids I refer to them as my kids. If kids live in a district and go to that school they can be referred to as our kids. Obviously they are not my kids or our kids. Come on.

It was in response to your quote, yes off the main topic but you're quote I shouldn't be around kids. Follow along.
...And you didnt do a good job of showing why you should be either 😂. Try again later or something after having a coffee maybe sheesh

...And you didnt do a good job of showing why you should be either 😂. Try again later or something after having a coffee maybe sheesh
Already had two cups. And man I was really hoping to get your approval that I should be, smdh. Have a great day my friend.

How about a local lawyer standing at our junior high bus at an away tournament game and telling the kid as he walks by that he will pay for him and his brothers tuition at the local private school. The kids school contacted the private school and requested a meeting. They were told if anyone else talks to the player, or family all documented info will be forwarded to the OHSAA. DOES THAT COUNT?
LOL. OHSAA doesn't care.

I guess in summary: A coach should pour hours of his time into his program from youth to varsity, spend countless hours away from his family and not care if another public or private school comes sniffing around and contacting players in his district since they're not "his" kids. And heaven forbid he publicly acknowledges it.

There are two ways of looking at this but only one applies to the original tweet. Of course, misconstruing that tweet and ranting against straw men is easier and more satisfying.

Yes, kids can go to any school they want to (the tweet didn’t question this), and yes, it’s creepy, gross, and call-outable for coaches to try to recruit little kids to make their team better. The second part is what the tweet addressed.

Lets just try a different angle lol. How big of an issue is recruiting when Buchtel can win a state championship in the same city as Hoban and St.V. Meanwhile Nortons girls been to Dayton the past 4 years while being connected to the same city as Hoban and St.V. The good programs rise above and the others tweet.
LOL, Buchtel very well might have been on State title # 4 or 5 instead of their 1st with no STV. That number might actually be conservative.

So in your eyes public HS coaches and youth programs should put as much time and energy developing kids that are not going to be playing for them? If I had two salesman, one was openly loyal and loved my company, the other openly didn't and flat out said he was just getting experience and leaving after the year. Which one got the better accounts and more development?
Why is this a private and public issue? My son attends a public school and we have as much if not more football and track talent than any school in the state public or private. And our boys basketball talent isn’t too bad either.

What the F does that have to do with the current topic. Youve gone off the deep end over 8th graders and their families choosing a different high school. I also volunteer and just show up to whatever Fin school the kid goes to and support. Novel concept I know
This. I’ve coached youth football in Akron and Cleveland and I show up to as many games as I can. Other than Glenville, I don’t pull for a school and I’m pulling for ALL kids to succeed.

Why is this a private and public issue? My son attends a public school and we have as much if not more football and track talent than any school in the state public or private. And our boys basketball talent isn’t too bad either.
Well lets be real, some public schools are in the private school categories?

The funniest was years ago when the Solon coached thanked the Ignatius coach and some other coaches on Twitter for coming out and supporting their 8th grade team during 8th grade championship
Was it really funny? Those kids ended up at St. Ignatius and have since moved to Garfield. What was funny about it?

I guess in summary: A coach should pour hours of his time into his program from youth to varsity, spend countless hours away from his family and not care if another public or private school comes sniffing around and contacting players in his district since they're not "his" kids. And heaven forbid he publicly acknowledges it.
I’ve coached baseball, basketball, and football and the way I viewed it is this. My responsibility was to the kid and to an extent that kid’s family. Obviously instructing in the area of sports but also doing my best to impart life lessons, where that kid would eventually attend high school NEVER impacted my responsibility to the kids.

I’ve coached baseball, basketball, and football and the way I viewed it is this. My responsibility was to the kid and to an extent that kid’s family. Obviously instructing in the area of sports but also doing my best to impart life lessons, where that kid would eventually attend high school NEVER impacted my responsibility to the kids.
Agree but if you were coaching HS would you be alright with coaches making contact and sniff around your youth and middle school programs? Forget that, I know your answer but would most coaches?

Yes they are allowed to explore and go to a stacked school rather than the kids they were playing youth with. My district school has the kids and parents sign a contract that reads they are planning on their kids attending said HS there. If the youth program is going to put their time and effort into them I think thats rightfully so. Although some sign it and have no intention on their son or daughter going there.
What in the hell? 😂😂😂

Yeah, those contracts are Illusory at best and a waste of good paper and ink.
Agree but they at least plant a seed of moral compass. And its not as extreme as many believe. You're just agreeing you plan on playing HS ball there. To many all play youth ball but to play on a travel team if made to play in various youth tourneys is the agreement.

I wish HS sports, especially basketball, could turn back the clock to pre-AAU dominance, but that’s not going to happen. The Norton coach has to make his program attractive enough to keep the Norton kids in district and even to attract open enrollment/transfers from elsewhere. You don’t just automatically get the kids anymore. You have to give them a reason to stay. That’s the new reality.

I wish HS sports, especially basketball, could turn back the clock to pre-AAU dominance, but that’s not going to happen. The Norton coach has to make his program attractive enough to keep the Norton kids in district and even to attract open enrollment/transfers from elsewhere. You don’t just automatically get the kids anymore. You have to give them a reason to stay. That’s the new reality.
Very true. Sometimes I wonder myself. “Why do kids keep leaving (insert program)?”

It might have been on this forum a while ago someone said that. And it kind of changed my perspective on how I viewed it.

Why are these kids leaving? Especially some of these places are notorious for losing their kids.

You keep some and you lose some. 🤷‍♂️

I just thought the tweet was funny. Literally nothing more than that lol
And he definitely kept more than he lost over the years. I can think of 4 kids the whole time during his tenure that left and wouldve made an impact and the first kid was year 1. Truly one of the more underrated coaches in the area during his tenure.

To any of the local schools that are trying to recruit our middle school players to come to your school...stay away. We work hard to develop our players from 3rd grade on. How about you try to develop your own kids rather than poach ours? I hate what high school ball is becoming!

Saw this posted on a local HS basketball X account. Not sure if it was the head coach or someone else who runs the account. I found it interesting to say the least. Right or wrong, the OHSAA needs to take notice. This is an issue that is dividing Ohio HS sports.
The only issue is trying to rob kids of an opportunity of there choosing.

You don’t want your kids poached….. Run better programs.