Recruiting our Middle School players...stay away

Actually, I think the job is to teach basketball, teamwork, etc not just be a feeder program. I bet you don't cut every kid who obviously isn't going to play varsity one day. Maybe you should have 5 players so they get all the minutes.
Actually quite the opposite! In JH/ Middle school I think you play everybody…obviously not equal minutes..it always makes me sad to see a 7th or 8th grade team with 13 players and only 7 play…same with frosh. I get the concept of trying to win but it is hard to develop players that are glued to the pine. Game minutes are very important, and motivational. I always thought if a player played at least a few meaningful (not garbage time) minutes it gave them hope and inspiration to try and improve. I get that not everyone is going to be a stud and many younger kids won’t even make varsity later on but high school jv/varsity is the time to sort that out.

And actually…when you are coaching middle school at a public…you ARE the feeder program…it is not like a private where kids come from all over…the future hs team will be comprised almost 100% by these kids.

Actually quite the opposite! In JH/ Middle school I think you play everybody…obviously not equal minutes..it always makes me sad to see a 7th or 8th grade team with 13 players and only 7 play…same with frosh. I get the concept of trying to win but it is hard to develop players that are glued to the pine. Game minutes are very important, and motivational. I always thought if a player played at least a few meaningful (not garbage time) minutes it gave them hope and inspiration to try and improve. I get that not everyone is going to be a stud and many younger kids won’t even make varsity later on but high school jv/varsity is the time to sort that out.
Oops. Sarcasm went way way over your head. Sorry about that.

Im just imagining my boy not being allowed on our public school 8th grade football team because he was a walsh legacy kid. Just ridiculous 🤣 😂
We seriously had this happen to one of ours- the public HS coach heard our kid went to an open house for a private school and told the 8th grade coach to cut him. Called us and read us the riot act about being loyal- we had just moved to the town a year prior and had never met the guy. Made the decision VERY easy…

As goes the pro game, so goes college, the high and grade schools. No matter what you feel about it, recruiting is now a big part of building competitive high school sports programs.

A bigger problem as I see it is the trend of high school teams being populated with "travel ball" and "summer camp" players. Kids being developed out of the rec leagues and middle schools is now just a qua memory.

If I am coaching an 8th grade middle school team and I have a player who is obviously not going to our high school I would cut him. It is not my job to prepare kids for other schools. I am paid to coach and develop kids in my schools program. Plus, the future transfer is taking game and practice minutes from kids that could probably benefit from more time and attention.
THIS......

we have had this occur in past 5-10 years with our basketball AND football.

Some parents have gripped that their kid isnt getting the minutes or the touches/looks that others were. When those same parents blast all over their FB pages that their kids got accepted to this or that private school.

THIS......

Some parents have gripped that their kid isnt getting the minutes or the touches/looks that others were. When those same parents blast all over their FB pages that their kids got accepted to this or that private school.
Would it make you feel better if the parents were blasting that their kids got into this or that public school?

Regarding cutting the kid going to a private school...this is my opinion.

You can't cut a kid simply because he is going to a private school the next year. But you can include that in the evaluation of which players to keep and which players to cut.

* I've seen plenty of tall players make a team that couldn't shoot, dribble, or defend. They make the teams because the coaches think they can teach them the game by the time they get to HS.

* I've seen players make the team because of who their parents were...teachers, administrators, community big shots.

* I've seen kids that were cut that were small.

* I've seen kids cut that were bad students.

* I've seen kids cut that were troublemakers.

* I've seen kids who were cut because their parents were troublemakers.

* I've seen kids cut that were abusing drugs and alcohol.

* I've seen kids cut because they had too many tardies in the grading period.

* I've seen kids cut that were moving away or going to private school.

Taking the best 15 basketball players may not be the best for the team, it may not be the best for the school, and it may not be the best for the future. The middle school coach has to weigh all the factors and the future of the HS team is one of those factors.

THIS......

Lol great stuff

Would it make you feel better if the parents were blasting that their kids got into this or that public school?
To each their own put out there any good PR for your kid you can.

But don't puff you chest out that your kid is essentially leaving the following year then whine and cry when they don't get the same opportunity as some others are. Ive seen this happen more often in basketball just b/c the timing in which kids usually get in is during that sports season.

Now the secret is out. Everyone comes from miles around to scout the Norton Middle schools athletes. Now the breeding ground for elite talent has been exposed.
As usual the point is missed. First, from my understanding this was from the girls side. They have been really good the past 5 or so years, either making it to the final four or championship game. They can ill afford to lose players to privates as most publics. Norton boys had one of their best boys teams about 10 years ago and gave the tri-county, tri-state StV all they could handle but those teams are far and few between for most publics that don't openly recruit. Obviously Norton girls are doing something right at the youth level so now the vultures are hovering, nothing wrong with the tweet, imo.

As usual the point is missed. First, from my understanding this was from the girls side. They have been really good the past 5 or so years, either making it to the final four or championship game. They can ill afford to lose players to privates as most publics. Norton boys had one of their best boys teams about 10 years ago and gave the tri-county, tri-state StV all they could handle but those teams are far and few between for most publics that don't openly recruit. Obviously Norton girls are doing something right at the youth level so now the vultures are hovering, nothing wrong with the tweet, imo.
No that was definitely about boys. Norton women basketball account never tweeted anything like that and I just went all the way back to January. And why would they when they are doing too much winning to worry about other programs. Thats the point literally everyone who wouldnt cut 13 year olds because they're not going to "MY" school the next year is making. Just be better

No that was definitely about boys. Norton women basketball account never tweeted anything like that and I just went all the way back to January. And why would they when they are doing too much winning to worry about other programs. Thats the point literally everyone who wouldnt cut 13 year olds because they're not going to "MY" school the next year is making. Just be better
So in your eyes public HS coaches and youth programs should put as much time and energy developing kids that are not going to be playing for them? If I had two salesman, one was openly loyal and loved my company, the other openly didn't and flat out said he was just getting experience and leaving after the year. Which one got the better accounts and more development?

So in your eyes public HS coaches and youth programs should put as much time and energy developing kids that are not going to be playing for them? If I had two salesman, one was openly loyal and loved my company, the other openly didn't and flat out said he was just getting experience and leaving after the year. Which one got the better accounts and more development?
Please argue the words in front of you lol this analogy doesnt work because we are talking about KIDS

Lets just try a different angle lol. How big of an issue is recruiting when Buchtel can win a state championship in the same city as Hoban and St.V. Meanwhile Nortons girls been to Dayton the past 4 years while being connected to the same city as Hoban and St.V. The good programs rise above and the others tweet.

Lets just try a different angle lol. How big of an issue is recruiting when Buchtel can win a state championship in the same city as Hoban and St.V. Meanwhile Nortons girls been to Dayton the past 4 years while being connected to the same city as Hoban and St.V. The good programs rise above and the others tweet.
Figured that scenario wouldn't work for you. Yes Buchtel did with their best player from Copley and, the one thats 8th grade games got heavily visited by Joyce. And yes it can happen but the cards are against you. Good programs develop their youth the best they can and thats how the "just be better" that they're trying to do. Theres CYO basketball, go develop those kids?

Figured that scenario wouldn't work for you. Yes Buchtel did with their best player from Copley and, the one thats 8th grade games got heavily visited by Joyce. And yes it can happen but the cards are against you. Good programs develop their youth the best they can and thats how the "just be better" that they're trying to do. Theres CYO basketball, go develop those kids?
Yes because the scenario has zero correlation to kids. Plans can change over the time. Then theres the fact no salesman or any employee worth a damn would ever actually admit theyre using you for a year. Its also INSANE that you think thats a good correlation to parents sending their kids to the best high school program for their child after playing youth ball

Yes because the scenario has zero correlation to kids. Plans can change over the time. Then theres the fact no salesman or any employee worth a damn would ever actually admit theyre using you for a year. Its also INSANE that you think thats a good correlation to parents sending their kids to the best high school program for their child after playing youth ball
Its about the development of individuals and how they plan to use it. And sorry but there are young, pompous, entitled kids entering the workforce, sorry you don't believe so. Its also INSANE that you think I should spend my volunteer time and energy developing kids that have zero intention of playing for my local HS. I have coached many youth sports and never encountered it but it happens.

Its about the development of individuals and how they plan to use it. And sorry but there are young, pompous, entitled kids entering the workforce, sorry you don't believe so. Its also INSANE that you think I should spend my volunteer time and energy developing kids that have zero intention of playing for my local HS. I have coached many youth sports and never encountered it but it happens.
Lmao I dont think you should be around kids whatsoever after your second sentence

Lmao I dont think you should be around kids whatsoever after your second sentence
you're entitled to your azzinine opinion but you don't know me. Many of the kids that I worked with came from one parent homes. Reached out to many later in life that were going down the wrong path. Buried a few in their 20's due to OD, great kids when I knew them. Their parents or brother or sisters would just drop them off and hardly attend games. Not all young adults turn out the way you hope they would, sorry, just life.

you're entitled to your azzinine opinion but you don't know me. Many of the kids that I worked with came from one parent homes. Reached out to many later in life that were going down the wrong path. Buried a few in their 20's due to OD, great kids when I knew them. Their parents or brother or sisters would just drop them off and hardly attend games. Not all young adults turn out the way you hope they would, sorry, just life.
What the F does that have to do with the current topic. Youve gone off the deep end over 8th graders and their families choosing a different high school. I also volunteer and just show up to whatever Fin school the kid goes to and support. Novel concept I know