Food?

Had some fry mix veggies, mushroom and a getting too old chicken breast. Sliced the chicken into thin strips, parsley and corrriander then fried them. The corriander worked. I really need to fry better, so they're more juicy and soft in the middle. Anyhow had some dollar tree corn nuts and thought, "hmmm, a little crunch might work."

It didn't.

Maybe if I'd just topped it on my plate instead of putting them in to cook.

Had some fry mix veggies, mushroom and a getting too old chicken breast. Sliced the chicken into thin strips, parsley and corrriander then fried them. The corriander worked. I really need to fry better, so they're more juicy and soft in the middle. Anyhow had some dollar tree corn nuts and thought, "hmmm, a little crunch might work."

It didn't.

Was the issue flavor or texture? I would think the corn nuts were maybe too granular, like chewing on gravel. Next time think more along the line of corn flakes or potato chips.

Was the issue flavor or texture? I would think the corn nuts were maybe too granular, like chewing on gravel. Next time think more along the line of corn flakes or potato chips.
The flavor was what I expected and hoped for. Issue was texture. Got a little too soggy cooking. I think putting them on after, they'll absorb just enough heat and water to not break teeth but still give a bit of crunch.

Sorry fellas but I have been negligent on this thread, will pick up activity as we get closer to the Holidays as I have many tips and thoughts on the foods and traditions around this time of year.

What did get me back here is the Mrs. and I went with another couple and introduced them to sushi. They admitted to wanting to try it but were intimated by the whole scene, the below vid is a great intro on the hows and whys of the process. A couple big takeaways is that the rice is the most important ingredient and what separates a good sushi restaurant from an average one, I was told the emphasis of sashimi was used by Korean run sushi restaurants because they could not get down the mastery of the rice prep. The temp of the rice is key too as you want it warm to contrast with the coolness of the protein that goes with it, it is also best to eat at the bar then the restaurant. Not the same with takeout and forget a supermarket where it is stored in a fridge. Also using your fingers is quite alright so if you are not proficient in using chop sticks no big worry. Finally if not a fish fan that is ok too as there are many veggie rolls that are quite fun and good, there are some cooked items too like BBQ unagi eel and tempura based rolls if raw is not your thing. On the other hand if you like rare to medium rare steak go with the tuna, very similar flavor and the wasabi gives it a "horsy" prime rib type of vibe.

Sorry fellas but I have been negligent on this thread, will pick up activity as we get closer to the Holidays as I have many tips and thoughts on the foods and traditions around this time of year.

What did get me back here is the Mrs. and I went with another couple and introduced them to sushi. They admitted to wanting to try it but were intimated by the whole scene, the below vid is a great intro on the hows and whys of the process. A couple big takeaways is that the rice is the most important ingredient and what separates a good sushi restaurant from an average one, I was told the emphasis of sashimi was used by Korean run sushi restaurants because they could not get down the mastery of the rice prep. The temp of the rice is key too as you want it warm to contrast with the coolness of the protein that goes with it, it is also best to eat at the bar then the restaurant. Not the same with takeout and forget a supermarket where it is stored in a fridge. Also using your fingers is quite alright so if you are not proficient in using chop sticks no big worry. Finally if not a fish fan that is ok too as there are many veggie rolls that are quite fun and good, there are some cooked items too like BBQ unagi eel and tempura based rolls if raw is not your thing. On the other hand if you like rare to medium rare steak go with the tuna, very similar flavor and the wasabi gives it a "horsy" prime rib type of vibe.

Love sushi. Hard to get some people to try it. They hear 'raw fish' and it's an instant no to them. I got my 7 year old daughter to try it. She liked the tuna nigiri. My personal favorite is mackerel nigiri and unagi nigiri (eel). The flavor of mackerel is very strong. Unagi is also because of the eel sauce used on it.

For rolls, my favorite is probably a dragon roll, spider roll, or if they have something like a mango roll. For simple rolls, I like a simple salmon or tuna roll. Sushi Bomb near Pittsburgh has an SAT Roll that I like. Salmon, Avocado and Tuna.

Snapper, Salmon, Tuna, Unagi, Spider Roll, Mango Roll, and Philadelphia Roll on the right, I think (salmon with cream cheese).

Clockwise: SAT, Unagi, Mackerel, Snapper, Tuna, Spider Roll, Tempura Roll, with Yellowtail and Salmon in the middle.

SAT, Spider Roll, Mango Roll, the Nigiri is Salmon, Tuna, Snapper, Red Clam

Tuna, Salmon, Snapper, Spicy Tuna, Unagi roll, not sure the bottom roll.

https://twitter.com/Sykotyk/status/1565808611145777153

Salmon, Tuna, Unagi, Snapper, and Mackerel nigiri. SAT roll, Spider Roll, and Mango Roll

One of the few strictly sushi places I'll eat at. Usually taking or picking up my sister from the airport so the orders are all-you-can-eat, and then shared. She prefers cooked sushi such as the Spider Roll or salmon.

Believe it's now $22 for dinner all-you-can-eat per person.

What did get me back here is the Mrs. and I went with another couple and introduced them to sushi.
Love sushi. Hard to get some people to try it. They hear 'raw fish' and it's an instant no to them.
Boy oh boy oh boy. Mouth has been watering over these last few posts.

When I was a kid, a Panamanian neighbor served us raw (but marinated) fish - I believe it's called ceviche? My parents were reluctant, but I tried it and loved it. Many years later the wife and I went to Otani in Columbus. Was pretty sure I'd like it, the waitress recommended a large platter selection, and I ate every bite - wonderful experience. I have never sat a sushi bar, but I'd like to try it one day.

Where is this $22 all-you-can-eat fantasy land that you speak of?

Boy oh boy oh boy. Mouth has been watering over these last few posts.

When I was a kid, a Panamanian neighbor served us raw (but marinated) fish - I believe it's called ceviche? My parents were reluctant, but I tried it and loved it. Many years later the wife and I went to Otani in Columbus. Was pretty sure I'd like it, the waitress recommended a large platter selection, and I ate every bite - wonderful experience. I have never sat a sushi bar, but I'd like to try it one day.

Where is this $22 all-you-can-eat fantasy land that you speak of?
In a small plaza near the Robinson Town Center Mall. Not far from the Pittsburgh International Airport.

The way it works is you order whatever you want off the menu and can place as many orders as you want. Just can't waste it. They charge per piece of uneaten sushi.

Not a fan of all you can eat anything, especially when it comes to sushi as that to me mostly about quality. Surprisingly sushi fills me up too, especially the rolls.

If you are into the above type classic Americanized sushi you should give a more traditional Japanese restaurant a whirl, it is different and you will probably love it. When I do this I go with an omakase meal, basically for a set price you leave it up to the sushi chef to give you a series of bites for the meal. I did this many times while working in NYC and was usually wowed by almost every bite and had no clue what I was eating. One time afterwards I come to find out that one of the bites was the infamous blow fish, not sure I would have eaten it but it was really good. You also usually get a few techniques that are not on the traditional menu like using a blow torch to give a cool caramelization flavor or various roes, (fish eggs) to compliment flavor and add color to the bite.

1698951591664.png

Bartended at Ichiban in Cincinnati's Mt. Lookout several years ago. I never felt it got the recognition it deserved in Cincinnati's sushi scene. I always liked their Alaskan roll, which is salmon, crab (I think we used actual king crab and not the imitation stuff), avocado, and cucumber. We also topped it with some smelt roe.

If you're not turned off from the idea of raw fish, sushi can be a very health-conscious yet delicious restaurant dinner. Just stay away from anything deep fried or anything with "spicy" in the name as they either top it with a spicy mayo or make the protein mayonnaise-based. But one of my favorite palate options at the restaurant is spicy sushi with a sweet white wine like reisling or we had gewürztraminer.

Most authentic place I've been to in Ohio is Shinano in Solon, if you're in the area.

Bartended at Ichiban in Cincinnati's Mt. Lookout several years ago. I never felt it got the recognition it deserved in Cincinnati's sushi scene. I always liked their Alaskan roll, which is salmon, crab (I think we used actual king crab and not the imitation stuff), avocado, and cucumber. We also topped it with some smelt roe.

If you're not turned off from the idea of raw fish, sushi can be a very health-conscious yet delicious restaurant dinner. Just stay away from anything deep fried or anything with "spicy" in the name as they either top it with a spicy mayo or make the protein mayonnaise-based. But one of my favorite palate options at the restaurant is spicy sushi with a sweet white wine like reisling or we had gewürztraminer.

Most authentic place I've been to in Ohio is Shinano in Solon, if you're in the area.
This is the best sushi restaurant in CLE:
They brought sushi to CLE in the early '90s. It is Korean run but the owner is a task master and serves authentic style sushi and has by far the best rice in town. Impossible to get a seat at the bar or a table Thursday-Sunday and take out is notorious for always being late and sometimes takes a couple hours.

Best I had in NYC:
Basically only offers an omakase menu but they know what they are doing and will work with each person and avoid things you may not want to try.

I did not know that about the sashimi, very interesting! I’m a massive fan of sushi, can never get enough of it. You’ve got it spot on for where to sit. I’m normally a big fan of sitting at the chefs table if the restaurant has it, but if possible I ALWAYS sit at the bar when at a sushi spot. The chefs always make great conversation and you usually end up with a few free bites. Plus it never hurts to ask chef for a recommended dish or two

I really want to give a go at semi regular homemade sushi but have hesitated for the same reasons I haven’t done at home beef tartare or beef carpaccio - never knowing if I have quality enough raw fish/beef.

I did not know that about the sashimi, very interesting! I’m a massive fan of sushi, can never get enough of it. You’ve got it spot on for where to sit. I’m normally a big fan of sitting at the chefs table if the restaurant has it, but if possible I ALWAYS sit at the bar when at a sushi spot. The chefs always make great conversation and you usually end up with a few free bites. Plus it never hurts to ask chef for a recommended dish or two

I really want to give a go at semi regular homemade sushi but have hesitated for the same reasons I haven’t done at home beef tartare or beef carpaccio - never knowing if I have quality enough raw fish/beef.
I tried it a couple of times but again, the rice is next to impossible to replicate. Not only do you need the correct grain cooked just right, it is not western boil in water type stuff, and it is also hard as heck to work with. Stuff is beyond sticky and a good sushi chef know just the right amount to use for a piece of nigiri or a maki roll so you don't have to manipulate as that kills the right form. Also your knives have to be super sharp to make those clean cuts. I work with a local butcher for my raw proteins, I pay for it but then again I have never gotten sick... yet :)

I have a tuna steak recipe I make at home that gives a sushi flavor but is much easier to make. Basically marinate sushi grade tuna for 15 mins in a soy, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, and lemon marinade (Important when marinating fish in citrus or vinegar, do not go longer than 15ish minutes, the citrus/vinegar will start to chemically "cook" the fish. That is what happens in the above ceviche mention.). Coat with sesame seeds, cook in cast iron skillet at super high heat for 1 minute each side and then I make a homemade wasabi mayo sauce to finish it off. Serve with a starch, usually a Japanese noodle dish, pickled ginger from the sushi counter at the super market, and seaweed salad. If anyone wants I can post the recipe.

I knew I recognized you, I was a regular at Ichiban for years!!

I kid I kid, but I agree completely it is super underrated. I think it’s hurt by being next to Cloud 9, which has some decent sushi but it’s very much a budget restaurant/sushi spot.

I tried it a couple of times but again, the rice is next to impossible to replicate. Not only do you need the correct grain cooked just right, it is not western boil in water type stuff, and it is also hard as heck to work with. Stuff is beyond sticky and a good sushi chef know just the right amount to use for a piece of nigiri or a maki roll so you don't have to manipulate as that kills the right form. Also your knives have to be super sharp to make those clean cuts. I work with a local butcher for my raw proteins, I pay for it but then again I have never gotten sick... yet :)

I have a tuna steak recipe I make at home that gives a sushi flavor but is much easier to make. Basically marinate sushi grade tuna for 15 mins in a soy, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, and lemon marinade (Important when marinating fish in citrus or vinegar, do not go longer than 15ish minutes, the citrus/vinegar will start to chemically "cook" the fish. That is what happens in the above ceviche mention.). Coat with sesame seeds, cook in cast iron skillet at super high heat for 1 minute each side and then I make a homemade wasabi mayo sauce to finish it off. Serve with a starch, usually a Japanese noodle dish, pickled ginger from the sushi counter at the super market, and seaweed salad. If anyone wants I can post the recipe.
I’ve just started buying beef by the cow from a reputable farm near by. I think I can now but Im still a little too hesitant. Just need to go heavy on the wine/cocktails one night and go for it.

I will definitely give the a recipe a try here soon!

I’ve just started buying beef by the cow from a reputable farm near by. I think I can now but Im still a little too hesitant. Just need to go heavy on the wine/cocktails one night and go for it.

I will definitely give the a recipe a try here soon!
I will post the recipe early next week. One of my show off when the wife's friends are over type dinners.

I knew I recognized you, I was a regular at Ichiban for years!!

I kid I kid, but I agree completely it is super underrated. I think it’s hurt by being next to Cloud 9, which has some decent sushi but it’s very much a budget restaurant/sushi spot.
I always got the impression that Cloud 9 was more of a late night munchies spot for people coming out of MLT and The Stand (RIP The Stand) and that's why they were so popular, but they did have good food. Ichiban was date night for people in their 20s with a little bit of money vibe. Occasionally, you'd see a Bengal player come in. I've been to the one in Mason but the atmosphere there is more of suburban takeout spot.

Try this tuna recipe to get that sushi feel at home:

Recipe is for 4 6 oz sushi grade tuna steaks

Marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp dark sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon

Sauce
2 tbsp mayo
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp soy
wasabi paste to taste

Steps>
  • Whisk marinade ingredients together in a bowl and poor over tuna steaks in a dish, refrigerate for 15 minutes turning over once, do not go any longer.
  • Whisk sauce ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate while tuna is marinating, best for the sauce to sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.
  • Crust both sides of the steaks with sesame seeds.
  • Heat cast iron skillet or grill to max heat. Cook each side for 1 minute for rare steaks you could go for 2 minutes each side for medium rare but that kills the dish. I use no oil as the sesame seed will not stick, make sure to brown the sesame seeds.
  • Serve immediately with sauce on the side.
Tips>
  • I am lazy and get the jar minced garlic and ginger you find in the veggie department, stuff cuts down prep time quite a bit.
  • Do not marinade longer that 15 mins, as noted above the vinegar and citrus start to chemically cook the tuna.
  • On the other side if you remember make the sauce an hour ahead of time and stick in the refrigerator. Flavors blend together better than if you whip it up just before serving.
  • I buy the tube of wasabi paste, it lasts a long time in the fridge and can be used to heat up a variety of Asian dishes.

Meshiagare!
1699226836535.png

Yes, Pittsburgh style is traditionally charred on the outside with rare to medium rare inside. It is for those that like their steaks with a bark outside yet cool inside, need the heat really cranked up for this to work. If you like medium to well most of the times unless the heat is medium or lower you should be able to achieve the needed crust.

Some steak cooking tips:

• Take the steak out at least 1 hour before cooking to bring up to room temp.
  • Rub with a little high smoke point oil as a binder and then season with you favorite rub. Let stand at least 30 minutes.
  • I like to bring my heat source up to very high, my preference for steaks is a charcoal grill. Do not set steak on a cold surface, make sure it is up to the highest temp you want to cook at before placing on the surface.
  • Do not use time but feel for how long to cook to the correct doneness. I was instructed to use the hand doneness test and if in question double check with an instant read thermometer. I like 115-120 for medium rare.
  • After taking off the heat let it rest for about 5 minutes to redistribute the juices. Expect this to add about 5 degrees of cooking to the temp.
Bon appetite.

View attachment 44504
Auggie, you ever use a Sous Vide machine to make steak?

High end restaurant I worked at back in the day made steaks this way. I bought one myself off Amazon and now that's the only way I cook them.

I vaccuum seal them with butter and rosemary, Sous Vide at 133 for an hour or so then sear on grill or in cast iron. Let rest. I love it.

This might be out of your level of expertise but it is worth a shot.

For the parents of the groom paying for the rehearsal dinner, what are the expectations?

Is it a limited menu or order off the regular menu?
Are unlimited alcoholic drinks included or just limited to beer?
Are there restaurants that are setup to handle 20-30 people on a Friday night (hoping for Thursday) or do we have to go to a special venue type facility?

Lastly, any suggestions for medium priced restaurants/venues that routinely handle these types of events in the Medina/West Akron corridor?
Papa Joes in the Valley. They have a great private room. Great food. Reasonably priced. One of my favs all around.

We ended up going to Brown Derby in Medina. We had a large room that handled 28 people very comfortably. The food and service were excellent. It was far cheaper than I expected as most people did not drink. We risked it by letting everyone order drinks off the menu and were really surprised that no one took advantage.

Overall, we were really pleased with the location, room, food, and service.

I'm a huge fan of tuna (sashimi, sushi, roll, anything) but as far as the cooked stuff I love eel.

The most interesting fun fact I have about sushi is that Wasabi in the US is very rarely like Wasabi in Japan. Japanese Wasabi is basically a different variety of horseradish root specific to Japan. It needs to be ground immediately at serving as it loses potency within 10 minutes.

Ever cook your steaks Pittsburgh style? I'm wondering if it is normal to cook it to medium instead of rare or medium rare. Love the char on the outside but rather have it medium. Seems most places talk about only rare or medium rare.
I absolutely love Pittsburgh style. The older I get, the more "red" my definition of rare becomes

Auggie, you ever use a Sous Vide machine to make steak?

High end restaurant I worked at back in the day made steaks this way. I bought one myself off Amazon and now that's the only way I cook them.

I vaccuum seal them with butter and rosemary, Sous Vide at 133 for an hour or so then sear on grill or in cast iron. Let rest. I love it.
I have not used this. Every restaurant I have been around uses open flame or broils in cast iron.

It really depends on what temp and type of food you are cooking with as to the oil you should be using. When using for a pan recipe the key is smoke point: Heated past its smoke point, that fat starts to break down, releasing free radicals and a substance called acrolein, the chemical that gives burnt foods their acrid flavor and aroma. My biggest call out is stop using extra-virgin olive oil as an all purpose pan frying oil it has a low smoke point of 375 degrees. There were some that pushed this as a healthy alternative but I really think they were paid off by the industry to kick up sales. I really like EVOO in salads and as a substitute for butter with crusty breads, thats about it. My general pan frying oil these days is avocado oil, stuff is healthier, almost impossible to burn, and it actually has a neutral flavor profile. Speaking of which flavor profile is also driver in what oil to use, the wife bakes and she loves coconut oil as an alternative to less healthy fats and it also gives the food a slight hint of a milky nut flavor. Here is a simple guide to use when deciding on which cooking oil to use:

Fat cooking tip: Save your bacon grease in a separate can and if you make old school popcorn on the stove top use this instead of vegetable oil, will be the best tasting popcorn you have ever had.Coco

It really depends on what temp and type of food you are cooking with as to the oil you should be using. When using for a pan recipe the key is smoke point: Heated past its smoke point, that fat starts to break down, releasing free radicals and a substance called acrolein, the chemical that gives burnt foods their acrid flavor and aroma. My biggest call out is stop using extra-virgin olive oil as an all purpose pan frying oil it has a low smoke point of 375 degrees. There were some that pushed this as a healthy alternative but I really think they were paid off by the industry to kick up sales. I really like EVOO in salads and as a substitute for butter with crusty breads, thats about it. My general pan frying oil these days is avocado oil, stuff is healthier, almost impossible to burn, and it actually has a neutral flavor profile. Speaking of which flavor profile is also driver in what oil to use, the wife bakes and she loves coconut oil as an alternative to less healthy fats and it also gives the food a slight hint of a milky nut flavor. Here is a simple guide to use when deciding on which cooking oil to use:

Fat cooking tip: Save your bacon grease in a separate can and if you make old school popcorn on the stove top use this instead of vegetable oil, will be the best tasting popcorn you have ever had.
We use coconut oil, lard, and tallow.

Love sushi. Hard to get some people to try it. They hear 'raw fish' and it's an instant no to them. I got my 7 year old daughter to try it. She liked the tuna nigiri. My personal favorite is mackerel nigiri and unagi nigiri (eel). The flavor of mackerel is very strong. Unagi is also because of the eel sauce used on it.

For rolls, my favorite is probably a dragon roll, spider roll, or if they have something like a mango roll. For simple rolls, I like a simple salmon or tuna roll. Sushi Bomb near Pittsburgh has an SAT Roll that I like. Salmon, Avocado and Tuna.

Snapper, Salmon, Tuna, Unagi, Spider Roll, Mango Roll, and Philadelphia Roll on the right, I think (salmon with cream cheese).

Clockwise: SAT, Unagi, Mackerel, Snapper, Tuna, Spider Roll, Tempura Roll, with Yellowtail and Salmon in the middle.

SAT, Spider Roll, Mango Roll, the Nigiri is Salmon, Tuna, Snapper, Red Clam

Tuna, Salmon, Snapper, Spicy Tuna, Unagi roll, not sure the bottom roll.

Salmon, Tuna, Unagi, Snapper, and Mackerel nigiri. SAT roll, Spider Roll, and Mango Roll

One of the few strictly sushi places I'll eat at. Usually taking or picking up my sister from the airport so the orders are all-you-can-eat, and then shared. She prefers cooked sushi such as the Spider Roll or salmon.

Believe it's now $22 for dinner all-you-can-eat per person.
I know you're a big traveler. If you're other in the Lowcountry in South Carolina go to Beaufort. There's a restaurant called Locals. Easily the best Sushi I've ever had amongst other offerings.

Great restaurant scene in general in such a small amazing town.

It didn't.

Dad tried a new coating yesterday for chicken tenders and said it was solid, shredded wheat. Not the stuff with sugar on it but the plain product; used what was at the bottom of the bag, which there was plenty, so no need to crush anything up too.