Food?

I think I still have some hot dogs and beer left over from Memorial Day. Probably go with that.
Nothing wrong with a classic hot dog for an summer holiday. I prefer all beef nitrate free dogs split so that you can get that great char going. Fresh brioche buns are also a nice touch. I also top with the classic Mawby's sauce which features grilled onions and paprika or just classic ball park mustard. Side of classic savory potato salad, no sweet for me featuring that lousy condiment Miracle Whip. As for the beer in the summer I go with a juicy IPA.

If anybody likes jumbo hot dogs, try the Members Mark 1/4 pound all beef hot dogs at Sam's Club.

Nothing wrong with a classic hot dog for an summer holiday. I prefer all beef nitrate free dogs split so that you can get that great char going. Fresh brioche buns are also a nice touch. I also top with the classic Mawby's sauce which features grilled onions and paprika or just classic ball park mustard. Side of classic savory potato salad, no sweet for me featuring that lousy condiment Miracle Whip. As for the beer in the summer I go with a juicy IPA.
Pretty much exactly what we did. :D Except the beer was a local brown ale, they were grilled Gordon's hot dogs and frozen hamburg patties, heinz catsup, french's mustard, generic hot dog buns, cheesy potatoes, home made reisling, store bought cheese cake I put frozen lime juice on, sitting on the patio on a beautiful day watching an huron fly over the Bay with people I've known and loved since I was a kid. Couldn't have been better.

Last edited:
I like the Youtube channel Epicurious for tips, one of the best was they went through every type of cheese with a focus on how best to cut and serve. Have done this with many basic food categories.

The below guy is hit or miss but I like his take on a grilled cheese, need to try the mayo thing

I'm kinda thinking to make this omelet from The Bear. I think I'll settle for Ballreich's chips. Not gonna make my own. The juice was part of the meal and ps: this guy is pretty funny.

Last edited:
I'm kinda thinking to make this omelet from The Bear. I think I'll settle for Ballreich's chips. Not gonna make my own. The juice was part of the meal and ps: this guy is pretty funny.

My dad would keep a running bowl of those potato chip crumbs at the bottom of the bag and use them in his batter for Friday fish fries during lent. Patrons would come back into the kitchen looking for his secret and would they would flip out when they say a big bowl of these chips. Sold so many he eventually had to add it to the dailey menu and use a fresh bag of chips. Try this also if making chicken tenders at home. One of his big things was you never ever threw away anything in a kitchen, you could always use an edible food in something.

Last edited:
So smoked a pork butt yesterday and had pulled pork sandwiches for dinner; sides were green beans w/ bacon, baked beans with brisket, mac & cheese, and creamy coleslaw. I take mine the classic Carolina way: I like cheap white bread, (folks from the Carolinas say this is a must), creamy coleslaw, tangy BBQ sauce, vinegar based swine wine sauce, and Pete's hot sauce.

Question for those that eat pulled pork sandwiches, how do you take them?

So smoked a pork butt yesterday and had pulled pork sandwiches for dinner; sides were green beans w/ bacon, baked beans with brisket, mac & cheese, and creamy coleslaw. I take mine the classic Carolina way: I like cheap white bread, (folks from the Carolinas say this is a must), creamy coleslaw, tangy BBQ sauce, vinegar based swine wine sauce, and Pete's hot sauce.

I prefer a sweeter Bar-BQ sauce like Sweet Baby Ray's. Coleslaw is optional, but I do like it on my sandwich normally.

Three of us rented a house in south Atlanta, while going to school. Biking around Hartsfield, we smelled the most wonderful smell. Took us a bit playing with wind direction but we eventually saw the smoke leading to a roach invested smokehouse called the Flying Pig. Exactly as you say. Heaven on Earth on top of cheap white bread. Two of the three were from Tenn and S. Carolina, neither was surprised by that. Overcooked green beans with bits of homemade bacon, artery clogging mac and SWEET tea. Became our go-to. On the ride home, we'd stop at the Piggly Wiggly, a guy outside there had a big old vat of fat he'd fry up rinds and they'd be gone before we hit the house.

Between Flying Pig, Vat Guy, The Varsity and Krispy Kreme runs while waiting from the train transfer, I'm not sure how we survived.

Now our local, Tom's BBQ uses a very soft pita as a side. Get half a rack and scrape a couple ribs off into that pita makes a helluva sandwhich.

Free

Three of us rented a house in south Atlanta, while going to school. Biking around Hartsfield, we smelled the most wonderful smell. Took us a bit playing with wind direction but we eventually saw the smoke leading to a roach invested smokehouse called the Flying Pig. Exactly as you say. Heaven on Earth on top of cheap white bread. Two of the three were from Tenn and S. Carolina, neither was surprised by that. Overcooked green beans with bits of homemade bacon, artery clogging mac and SWEET tea. Became our go-to. On the ride home, we'd stop at the Piggly Wiggly, a guy outside there had a big old vat of fat he'd fry up rinds and they'd be gone before we hit the house.

Between Flying Pig, Vat Guy, The Varsity and Krispy Kreme runs while waiting from the train transfer, I'm not sure how we survived.

Now our local, Tom's BBQ uses a very soft pita as a side. Get half a rack and scrape a couple ribs off into that pita makes a helluva sandwhich.

Free

So while I like southern BBQ and most items associated with it one thing I really do not like is sweet tea. Not a big sugar guy and that stuff is at the top of the sugar foods pyramid.

Also need me some Brunswick Stew with that sandwich.

So while I like southern BBQ and most items associated with it one thing I really do not like is sweet tea. Not a big sugar guy and that stuff is at the top of the sugar foods pyramid.

Also need me some Brunswick Stew with that sandwich.
Phhhftt. That's soup. THIS is stew. Irish is good. Belgium is better.

belgian stew.png

Usually do buns. If fresh I probably won’t add anything to it. I just like the taste of the smoke and fat. Reheated I’ll add some BBQ sauce from a small town joint in Texas I frequent.

On sale dinner
Kale mix, $2 off plus another .75 on the coupon, Beer Brat, $3 off the package so $.50 off, 40% off 2 stuffed mushrooms, Dollar Tree gnoche which was REALLY good. Fried Brat then boiled. Aldo stone ground mustard on the side. Boiled gnocke then butter fried. Snipped a little dill pickle on top. Glass of tap. Finished with Michigan cherries, $3 off per lb.

Probably less than $2. $2.50 max. Some good flavors together. I should have thrown a Cab and a little dark chocolate into the finish.

On sale dinner
Kale mix, $2 off plus another .75 on the coupon, Beer Brat, $3 off the package so $.50 off, 40% off 2 stuffed mushrooms, Dollar Tree gnoche which was REALLY good. Fried Brat then boiled. Aldo stone ground mustard on the side. Boiled gnocke then butter fried. Snipped a little dill pickle on top. Glass of tap. Finished with Michigan cherries, $3 off per lb.

Probably less than $2. $2.50 max. Some good flavors together. I should have thrown a Cab and a little dark chocolate into the finish.
Only way to do a brat per my Wiscy friend is to boil them in beer and onions then grill. He likes w/ cheese and stone ground mustard on a fresh bun, grilled onions or kraut optional. I go brat w/ stadium mustard on a fresh bun only, don't want to kill the malty flavor of the beer.

The budget comment above got me thinking... Like to hear where folks shop for their food too.

I serve a lot of medium rare proteins so I want to know where my meat/fish come from and I want a trained meat cutter that vets the food 1st, so I usually only buy from Costco or Heinen's. Costco meat is actually very good and they do tend to have the best bigger cuts that are used for BBQ, notably brisket. Heinen's prides themselves on their meat department and I actually speak to them if out on the floor about what they did that day and what is good. These guys know their stuff and are happy to work with the customers. You do pay for this but well worth it.

For produce I prefer farmers markets or grocers who specialize in this part of the business. Dairy and cheese I like Aldi's or Trader Joe's, they are actually owned by the same parent company; they both also have great frozen prepared meals with an emphasis on ethnic foods. For center of the store Aldi's tends to be out of a lot of stuff so there is a Marc's next door to my Aldi's; I just use them for cans & boxes. Giant Eagle or Kroger is last resort, they do everything just OK and their pricing is to make up $s on anything not on sale; quality is lacking too as they cut costs by storing fridge/freezer items just at the safe temp. Also is it me or does Giant Eagle always have broken fridges/freezers? Nothing worse than running up to the store for a refrigerated staple and see a vast empty area because it is down.

Only way to do a brat per my Wiscy friend is to boil them in beer and onions then grill. He likes w/ cheese and stone ground mustard on a fresh bun, grilled onions or kraut optional. I go brat w/ stadium mustard on a fresh bun only, don't want to kill the malty flavor of the beer.
I went with the directions on the package, which grilled first then boiled. It did come out quite tasty and juicy. I'll try the other way. My grill is a bit out of commision so I'll have to pan fry. No buns since i had the gnochi. But absolutely agree with the stone ground mustard. Just cut and dip.

Last edited:
Fresh food
I tried one of those asian fusion places. Started by a couple Toledo grads. Was waiting for a friend so just started wondering hallways. This was in a downtown office building. Saw a long glass window and inside was a greenhouse like you see on those movies about Mars missions. I thought, how cool to have a greenhouse downtown to sell fresh. Then I saw the name. It was actually the restaurant's. Place called Balance. The freshfood was really good. All that fresh healthy aside, the cheesefilled fried wontons worth fighting a war.

On buns. Pulled pork with no BBQ sauce added. Add a little BBQ to the top of the pile of meat. No pickles, no other seasonings needed if the meat was done well and the sauce has some spice to it.

The worst is when it's mixed with BBQ sauce and you can't control the ratio. Usually just taste BBQ sauce at that point and it's a waste of good pulled pork. Sometimes, if it's really well done, don't even need sauce.

Last edited:
On buns. Pulled pork with no BBQ sauce added. Add a little BBQ to the top of the pile of meat. No pickles, no other seasonings needed if the meat was done well and the sauce has some spice to it.

The worst is when it's mixed with BBQ sauce and you can't control the ratio. Usually just taste BBQ sauce at that point and it's a waist of good pulled pork. Sometimes, if it's really well done, don't even need sauce.
100 % agree. That was the Flying Pig in Atlanta. They had their rub I'm sure but you put on your own sauce. And honestly, didn't need. It wasn't try in the least. I do like a couple crispy dill slices with the plate and will generally put them on the sandwich if that's how I'm eating.

So I grew up around a restaurant and have been watching the Hulu series the Bear and feel it has given a mostly accurate feel for what it is like to work in the business. The first season hit it out of the park and to me was one of the best shows of 2022. So far 2023 has dragged a bit until I hit episode 7. This ep really rolls up the sleeves to show you how an evening at a restaurant is orchestrated with an emphasis on the front of the house. My dad, a chef, always said the most important person is the expediter; the person that basically connects the front of the house to the back of the house. In this episode that person is at a podium acting like a conductor and it is an incredibly stressful job. I suggest you check this one out as it will give you a new understanding as to how hard it is is to make your dining experience pleasant. Here is a little taste of how an expo works in a high end restaurant:

Last edited:
So I grew up around a restaurant and have been watching the Hulu series the Bear and feel it has given a mostly accurate feel for what it is like to work in the business. The first season hit it out of the park and to me was one of the best shows of 2022. So far 2023 has dragged a bit until I hit episode 7. This ep really rolls up the sleeves to show you how an evening at a restaurant is orchestrated with an emphasis on the front of the house. My dad, a chef, always said the most important person is the expediter; the person that basically connects the front of the house to the back of the house. In this episode that person is at a podium acting like a conductor and it is an incredibly stressful job. I suggest you check this one out as it will give you a new understanding as to how hard it is is to make your dining experience pleasant. Here is a little taste of how an expo works in a high end restaurant:

even before he said it, "air traffic controller" was what came to mind. Logistics is a good degree to get.

even before he said it, "air traffic controller" was what came to mind. Logistics is a good degree to get.
It is a great degree to get. I work in that world when dealing with national retailers. If you can speak Chinese and have any idea on how to deal with Chinese businessmen, (true negotiations don't start until after the contract is signed over there) then Teamsters & Longshoremen over here you can make a great living.

By the way here is how an expo works at a mid tier restaurant, same thing but no fancy color coded paper but basically the same gist. My fave is a server trying to steal another tables entrée, quite a common occurrence at this level when things are slammed.

I've definitely been eating low rent.

Got.... bored.. today and hopped to Windsor. Been multi decades, figured it was too much trouble. Wasn't bad. Took the bridge over. Backed up pretty good, even more standstill the other way, mostly trucks. Got some good views from the bridge. Truckers in the lane headed to the US honking at me, waving I thought at my tire. I finally realized, they were telling me the left lane over the double line is for cars. it was empty, lol. Things moved pretty fast after that. ANYHOW, the reason it's in this thread, after finding the free parking along tthe river (I remember a fight with one of the DB clones argued when I said Detroit River is beautiful, still is),

I walked back to city center to hunt for food. Smelled a place I was looking for from online reviews. A little dingy but man, Frenchy's "Poutinery" lol... You will want to do it. Oh man was that good. Not the fake wannabe crap you get here. Grilled, real curds, real gravy... veggy toppings not traditional but free. I got roasted red peppers. Perfect choice for my day. Frenchy is cool dude.

Anyhow, I saw the bridge coming back was backed up three street lights into Windsor the other way, over an hour wait Frenchy said, so took the tunnel back. Seriously, don't take the bridge either way. Not during the week anyhow. Just take the tunnel. I turned off Wyondot, swiped my credit card and was on my way. That's it. No line. A litle wait at the American border. Left lanes weren't moving and that's where I was. It can happen I'm told if you get some hard cases at the check ins but the guy looked at my car, probably figured I needed a break and just waved me on after the what were you doing in Windsor questions.

It wasn't the effort going through Detroit back to the highway I thought it would be. Eazy Peazy and relaxed some nerves that needed relaxing.

I've definitely been eating low rent.

Got.... bored.. today and hopped to Windsor. Been multi decades, figured it was too much trouble. Wasn't bad. Took the bridge over. Backed up pretty good, even more standstill the other way, mostly trucks. Got some good views from the bridge. Truckers in the lane headed to the US honking at me, waving I thought at my tire. I finally realized, they were telling me the left lane over the double line is for cars. it was empty, lol. Things moved pretty fast after that. ANYHOW, the reason it's in this thread, after finding the free parking along tthe river (I remember a fight with one of the DB clones argued when I said Detroit River is beautiful, still is),

I walked back to city center to hunt for food. Smelled a place I was looking for from online reviews. A little dingy but man, Frenchy's "Poutinery" lol... You will want to do it. Oh man was that good. Not the fake wannabe crap you get here. Grilled, real curds, real gravy... veggy toppings not traditional but free. I got roasted red peppers. Perfect choice for my day. Frenchy is cool dude.

Anyhow, I saw the bridge coming back was backed up three street lights into Windsor the other way, over an hour wait Frenchy said, so took the tunnel back. Seriously, don't take the bridge either way. Not during the week anyhow. Just take the tunnel. I turned off Wyondot, swiped my credit card and was on my way. That's it. No line. A litle wait at the American border. Left lanes weren't moving and that's where I was. It can happen I'm told if you get some hard cases at the check ins but the guy looked at my car, probably figured I needed a break and just waved me on after the what were you doing in Windsor questions.

It wasn't the effort going through Detroit back to the highway I thought it would be. Eazy Peazy and relaxed some nerves that needed relaxing.
Have family that has a cottage over at Lake Erie CC in Amherstburg, know that bridge way too well. (Tunnel is kind of out of the way but have used it after checking current conditions on the bridge.) I always feel like the Ambassador is just going to fall into the river. When the kids were younger we played a game, pick the best customs line. We would scope out the cars and plates coming over the bridge and if possible look at who was in the cars to make a final call. Sometimes we breezed through and other times we would get stuck behind some idiot, always stunk.

Anyway love me some poutine, first time I had it was on a trip to Toronto as a kid. What kid wouldn't like fries, creamy cheese curds and gravy? Surprised it has not caught on as a kids menu item here in the states. We have a restaurant in CLE that specializes in it, Banter. Their other specialty is their take on the Cleveland classic Polish Boy which is kielbasa, frites, house-made BBQ, & coleslaw. My favorite poutine is their Forest City: frites, wild mushrooms, almond truffle crème, curds, veggie gravy, & scallions.

Last edited: