Division I State Semifinal: Archbishop Moeller (11-3) vs. Springfield (12-1)

Who wins?

• Springfield by 17+

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 36 31.9%
  • Moeller by 1-7

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Moeller by 8-16

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • Moeller by 17+

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Will the TE Kattus be playing for Moeller? I know he was out last week against LW. For those wondering how Moeller beat Ed's, look no further than that kid. He was like a power forward in the post being defended by guards and extended drives all game from the slot position. Very impressive player.

I would tend to favor Springfield in this game given their outstanding defense and number of playmakers that can take the top off a defense at any moment, but this Moeller team has just been finding ways to win and has played in lot of tight games this year.
Unfortunately he was lost for the season in the Fairfield game. He is a great player (thank you for that!), and an outstanding young man/leader. Kentucky is getting a good one!

Obviously Moeller has a more diverse offense to maybe better deal with Springfield than Marysville. However, Springfield has so much speed in the back 7, it may neutralize that. And that's if you can even get by those 2 big guys on the DL trying to run. Springfield QB Smoot is one of the best if not the best in the state regardless of his size. He has a rifle arm, sees the field very well and has great poise. He can run very well but throws first. If the weather is good, he will pick you apart.

Amazing how all the Moeller haters refuse to give this team an credit. It was 2 very evenly matched teams, Moeller made 1 mistake all night long and got the W. That was the story.
That's been Moeller's story every week. Probably averaging 2 TD's every week for 50+ yrd plays being called back for something. That was the case vs St. Ignatius, plus a 'late hit' penalty late in the fourth on a third and long that got Iggy their last TD. On the defensive site of the ball, it's almost all the time we hold them to 3rd and long, then give up the first down. Detroit MLK had half of Michigan's D-I recruits and lead was being tossed back and forth, but two botched handoffs in the 4th Q cost the game. So mistakes will be how the game will go.

I can't even read this thread because of all the nonsense. Don't want to go through all the pages.

Can someone give me an honest breakdown of the game and what does Moe have on offense? Are they going to be able to put up points on Springfields daunting D??

I can't even read this thread because of all the nonsense. Don't want to go through all the pages.

Can someone give me an honest breakdown of the game and what does Moe have on offense? Are they going to be able to put up points on Springfields daunting D??
I’ll give you one. My personal take is that I see springfield winning by 10 points the reason is that both teams have offenses that are explosive and fast. I think springfields offense has the potential to drop 40 on anyone with the receiving core which might be the best in the state. The o line has been improving. I believe springfields defense will force moeller to be one dimensional and throw the ball because it’s nearly impossible to run the ball on the wildcats. I think moeller will score a few times yet I think smoot has a big game for the cats while the defense limits geselbracht and moellers offense and springfield wins this one 31-21

Springfield's Front 7 have been and continue to be dominant. Moeller will have a more balanced offensive attack which will help them this week. I look at this game as a coin toss, but lower scoring. I'll go with:

Springfield 17
Moeller 14
Based off what I've seen this is about what i was predicting as well

Anything on the teams players sizes Springfield's D line vs Moeller's O-line ,Moeller running backs look fast but not very big,Springfields linebackers look small but fast,Moellers secondary looks tall and athletic. Thanks in advance

This is one of the few years where the region 4 champ is vulnerable. There haven't been many. Moeller is not '80 Moeller, '02 Elder, '04 Colerain, or '07 St. Xavier...They can be had. Couple that with this also being a year where the region 2 champ is dominant defensively and too me the goal posts are aligned for a Springfield victory...so long as they continue to limit the mistakes. Springfield 21, Moeller 10.

Last edited:
Amazing how all the Moeller haters refuse to give this team an credit. It was 2 very evenly matched teams, Moeller made 1 mistake all night long and got the W. That was the story.
I don't hate Moeller, however back in the day it was like playing a Cincinnati Allstar team; a college recruit at nearly every position.

I was not at the LW game, however many had posted that they made mistakes, had one or possibly 2 TD's called back.

I don't hate Moeller, however back in the day it was like playing a Cincinnati Allstar team; a college recruit at nearly every position.

I was not at the LW game, however many had posted that they made mistakes, had one or possibly 2 TD's called back.
I heard that too plus I saw they had two easy dropped touchdowns

Moe looked WAY better than I expected Friday night. They’re playing really well, and might be peaking at the perfect time.

That's been Moeller's story every week. Probably averaging 2 TD's every week for 50+ yrd plays being called back for something. That was the case vs St. Ignatius, plus a 'late hit' penalty late in the fourth on a third and long that got Iggy their last TD. On the defensive site of the ball, it's almost all the time we hold them to 3rd and long, then give up the first down. Detroit MLK had half of Michigan's D-I recruits and lead was being tossed back and forth, but two botched handoffs in the 4th Q cost the game. So mistakes will be how the game will go.
So you’re saying it just Gods will? I’m down with that!

On Route 47 west of the interstate is #1. Wingers Sports Bar (Local across from Menards) #2 Buffalo Wild Wings next to Krogers and #3 Frickers.
Downtown #1. The Spot (Hamburger and Pies) #2 Amelios Pizzeria #3 Murphy’s Craftbar + Kitchen
I agree, not ideal for Moeller, but a Nice place to watch a game. Great seating. Close and no track. Good Places to eat include Tavalo Modern Italian for a sit down. There is Murphy's Craft Bar and Kitchen for bar food and beer before or after the game.

No, the best part of this whole thread is you giving a s*** about what I say and think that you read everything I post. Enjoy! Again, I have not said anything negative whatsoever about Moeller, their program or community ever. I never would. That's your arrogance skewing what I say into a personal attack or insult because you look down on Springfield and find it offensive that anyone would suggest Moeller might lose to a middle class, blue collar public school from the Dayton area. But like other GCL posters, I'm aware you lack insight into your condescending arrogance towards Dayton area public schools. Stated differently, my confidence in my team is based on their performance on the field and their stats. It is not a commentary against you, your 2 sons, your family, the Moeller team or their athletic department or community. How you people cannot see your arrogance is beyond me.
You spew things and stir the pot. Then you act like your the victim. You sir sound narcissistic.

Springfield 24
Moeller 7

Springfield has a state championship caliber defense. I think most that have followed them this year, and last year, sort of knew this. But I was very impressed how their offense, specifically the QB, tore apart a fast and physical Marysville defense. IMO the 27-0 loss wasn’t so much of an indictment of Marysville being a pretender, but more so just showed how dominant Springfield is this year. Marysville D got after Springfield, and often pushed them back into 3rd & longs and then the QB consistently converted. Obviously, anything can happen in a one game scenario, and Moeller certainly CAN win, but I think Springfield rolls handily on to the finals and then probably a 50-50 game against St. Ed’s. (as much as I’d like to see a Springfield vs UA final - I think Ed will be too much for UA).

Springfield 24
Moeller 7

Springfield has a state championship caliber defense. I think most that have followed them this year, and last year, sort of knew this. But I was very impressed how their offense, specifically the QB, tore apart a fast and physical Marysville defense. IMO the 27-0 loss wasn’t so much of an indictment of Marysville being a pretender, but more so just showed how dominant Springfield is this year. Marysville D got after Springfield, and often pushed them back into 3rd & longs and then the QB consistently converted. Obviously, anything can happen in a one game scenario, and Moeller certainly CAN win, but I think Springfield rolls handily on to the finals and then probably a 50-50 game against St. Ed’s. (as much as I’d like to see a Springfield vs UA final - I think Ed will be too much for UA).
I agree moeller has a good offense but this springfield defense is something hard to process until your up against them. They are lightning quick hit hard and are disciplined. They force a lot of turnovers too

I agree moeller has a good offense but this springfield defense is something hard to process until your up against them. They are lightning quick hit hard and are disciplined. They force a lot of turnovers too
A great defense puts a lot of pressure on an offense...and that causes mistakes, turnovers & TFL's. We'll see.

Last edited: