Division I State Semifinal: Archbishop Moeller (11-3) vs. Springfield (12-1)

Who wins?

• Springfield by 17+

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 22 19.5%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 36 31.9%
  • Moeller by 1-7

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Moeller by 8-16

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • Moeller by 17+

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thoughts on this game and early predictions for next week. Both teams have fast offenses tons of weapons aswell as great quarterbacks. Springfield is coming off another shutout while Moeller “upsets” Lakota west. Who will advance to the state championship game?

Other than a Week 9 letdown, Springfield has had a great season. Can they get by Moeller ?
SHS's defense was very impressive against Marysville. Held them to 130 total yards and held their powerful rushing game to well under 100 yards. They've given up just 7 points in the playoffs. That was late in the playoff opener after they were up 42-0 at halftime and subbed in 2d half. They've shutout 3 quality opponents since then.

WILDCATS!!!

Attachments

• 10645071_10155125332637355_9219565653451043315_n.jpg
    10645071_10155125332637355_9219565653451043315_n.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 19
Moeller will easily be the most explosive and balanced offense the Cats have faced this season. IMO it's gonna come down to how well the Cats can defend the passing attack, Moeller has 5 different receivers with over 400 yards. On offense the Cats need to be clicking like they were tonight, statistically Moe looks more vulnerable on defense giving up 25+ a game, compared to Cats 5.8. But the stigma of getting past a GCL team may be the biggest hurdle. If the Cats can play like they did against St. X last year (forcing turnovers) , opposed to the way they played against Elder two years ago (turning it over) I like their chances.

GO CATS!!!!!!!

Moeller will easily be the most explosive and balanced offense the Cats have faced this season. IMO it's gonna come down to how well the Cats can defend the passing attack, Moeller has 5 different receivers with over 400 yards. On offense the Cats need to be clicking like they were tonight, statistically Moe looks more vulnerable on defense giving up 25+ a game, compared to Cats 5.8. But the stigma of getting past a GCL team may be the biggest hurdle. If the Cats can play like they did against St. X last year (forcing turnovers) , opposed to the way they played against Elder two years ago (turning it over) I like their chances.

GO CATS!!!!!!!
agree

It is a terrible facility. I am not sure if they have new turf yet, but was bad last time i was there. Fairmont would be good, Centerville, miamisburg Bellbrook, Monroe..but I will bet it is at Trotwood or Northmont.
Only problem with Fairmont is they have they may have worst parking setup around. I’m almost certain welcome can’t host games.

Centerville would be perfect. Xenia wouldn’t be a bad option as well(not sure they would host). But have a feeling it will be Piqua again

Interesting match-up here. Moeller has played two very good defenses this year, X and West, so I don't think they're going to be intimidated by that. I don't think the Moeller defense is good enough to hold down the SHS offense- they had a lot of problems when the West QB would scramble, and when X's QB would roll out. SHS is the more talented team, should win by 10, I think Moeller is a year away.

All that being said, Moeller is playing very well right now, have played a tougher schedule, and SHS's offense seems to be inconsistent. The opportunity for the upset is there.

Interesting match-up here. Moeller has played two very good defenses this year, X and West, so I don't think they're going to be intimidated by that. I don't think the Moeller defense is good enough to hold down the SHS offense- they had a lot of problems when the West QB would scramble, and when X's QB would roll out. SHS is the more talented team, should win by 10, I think Moeller is a year away.

All that being said, Moeller is playing very well right now, have played a tougher schedule, and SHS's offense seems to be inconsistent. The opportunity for the upset is there.
Moe can win but will have to keep the Cats QB in the pocket - DEs have to hold the edge & blitz over the A gap. Moe has enough weapons to move the ball in the air, but will struggle to run the ball. Moe's D might need to create some turnovers. Cats D is suffocating.

I've watched both LW and SHS this year.. The QB for SHS is way more athletic than the LW QB. We are talking Braxton Miller athletic. Like the Marysville game, it will be a slow methodical whopping against Moeller. Go Wildcats!

I've watched both LW and SHS this year.. The QB for SHS is way more athletic than the LW QB. We are talking Braxton Miller athletic. Like the Marysville game, it will be a slow methodical whopping against Moeller. Go Wildcats!
Comparing Smoot with a fellow Springfield native, nice! :cool:

Only problem with Fairmont is they have they may have worst parking setup around. I’m almost certain welcome can’t host games.

Centerville would be perfect. Xenia wouldn’t be a bad option as well(not sure they would host). But have a feeling it will be Piqua again
You are correct about Fairmont. Parking is atrocious.

Agree completely about the QB comparison, Smoot is a stud. Braxton Miller is a bit of a stretch though.

T
Agree completely about the QB comparison, Smoot is a stud. Braxton Miller is a bit of a stretch though.
To be clear, I'm making the comparison as to when Braxton was in high school. I also had an opportunity to watch Braxton and I think there are are lot of similarities.

Hope this isn't true. Capacity wise it's good, but location is even further away than Piqua. And parking looks like it'll be horrible.

T

To be clear, I'm making the comparison as to when Braxton was in high school. I also had an opportunity to watch Braxton and I think there are are lot of similarities.
Yeah, very similar, Braxton's size was the difference, and he could make almost every throw anywhere on the field. Saw them both too... those Wayne teams just had so much talent year after year.