Cleveland Browns 2023 Edition

It's wonderful you have Slash-like hopes for Pickett, happy to see it. Be really patient. Yinzer on!!

Picket has zero to very little comparisons to Kordell Stewart. Pickett by no means is or has any Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert or Lawrence potential but he has shown something with 4th quarter drives & come from behind winning drives. Could Pickett be an Alex Smith, Brad Johnson, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott type qb - potentially. For $3.1 mil against the cap - he’s by far the best option the Steelers have but they can move off of him at any time with little dead cap cost and no draft capital lost other than the 1st rd pick the Steelers used to draft him two years ago. The kid has some juice & is tough; it’s in the Steelers best interest to see what he may become.

Do you want a run down of the ‘Watson Experiment’ along with the current & future cost of it?

Picket has zero to very little comparisons to Kordell Stewart. Pickett by no means is or has any Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert or Lawrence potential but he has shown something with 4th quarter drives & come from behind winning drives. Could Pickett be an Alex Smith, Brad Johnson, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott type qb - potentially. For $3.1 mil against the cap - he’s by far the best option the Steelers have but they can move off of him at any time with little dead cap cost and no draft capital lost other than the 1st rd pick the Steelers used to draft him two years ago. The kid has some juice & is tough; it’s in the Steelers best interest to see what he may become.

Do you want a run down of the ‘Watson Experiment’ along with the current & future cost of it?
He's got it going on with Pickens on that back shoulder game. Just be patient.

I see Watson perfectly clearly, thanks. Not a move I would have made. I wanted to draft him out of Clemson.

Browns rb Jerome Ford (5’10, 210) is looking like a keeper. He’s been consistent, durable and solid out of the backfield. Granted Ford is no Nick Chubb but definitely a top 1/3 starting NFL rb potential. Next season Ford will likely start off as the lead back with Chubb working his way back from injury. 2024 Chubb will count $14.85 mil against the cap ($10.8 mil dead money, $3.9 mil cap savings if cut). Unfortunately in 2025 I think Chubb will be a cap casualty due to his16.2 mil against the cap ($4 mil dead money, $12.2 mil cap savings if cut).

Ford is wildly inconsistent. Cannot rely on him like you can Chubb, and to a lesser extent Hunt. Ford had 74 net rushing yards yesterday and 69 came on one play. He was a 5th round pick and is playing like one. I hope he gets better as the year goes on as it's clear if this team is going anywhere he will need to be a big part of it.

Chubb is getting old for a tailback and I err on the side of reality, it's unlikely that he returns to his old form.

Anybody think that Minnesota might be interested in all the Pilot stations north of US I-70 for Kirk Cousins ? Pretty good game tonight. I don’t think Andrew Berry has any picks left for trade…

I do not believe anything Stefanski says about Watson, since his track record of lying and deceiving is so blatantly obvious. If anyone saw Watson's right arm hanging down on the sidelines, you would see that there is no way he will be fully healthy for several weeks. And the worst trade in the history of the NFL continues to be shrouded in bull.

Would be great to watch the Watson meltdown if they actually went after Cousins. But I just don't see it happening unless Jimmy (who is a world class idiot) is on a bender right now. Andrew Berry has way too big of an ego to admit he was wrong about Watson, so we are stuck with the triangle of doom at the QB position.

Hilarious, if you told me at the beginning of last season that QB was the problem, I would've assumed Watson got in trouble again. And I wouldn't put it past him at this point. I hope he does something stupid so we can void the contract and move on. He's clearly broken mentally and can't play anymore.

Who was the last Browns QB to win their first two starts? Hoyer? PJ Walker did it and can't throw the ball. Two wins and no touchdowns, we are so screwed :ROFLMAO:

I do not believe anything Stefanski says about Watson, since his track record of lying and deceiving is so blatantly obvious. If anyone saw Watson's right arm hanging down on the sidelines, you would see that there is no way he will be fully healthy for several weeks. And the worst trade in the history of the NFL continues to be shrouded in bull.
I think Stefanski is just the mouth piece. You can tell he's frustrated about it and I'm sure the top is pressing down on him to not say anything.

Watson isn't just hurt, he's completely broken. His entire situation has gotten to his head and he will not be the player he once was. There was a reason the rest of the league didn't go after him. Remember, he came back to the Browns after initially saying no (meaning the Saints told him no), and the front office/Jimmy still fell for it!

If you were having coffee with Kevvy this morning, I would imagine he'd tell you that it is always good if the opposing defense is preparing for two dif QBs, even if they know it's likely PJ.

From Tom Pellisero:

From
@NFLTotalAccess
: #Browns QB Deshaun Watson had a new MRI on Monday that showed no additional damage to his throwing shoulder. But he’s still working to regain his strength and velocity. The team has said he’s day-to-day and his status is TBD for Sunday vs. Seattle.

Work him on Wed and if he doesn't have his strength back, stop giving him first team reps and prepare Walker. Make your decision early for the benefit of the team. In other news:

The Cleveland Browns missed out on a generational talent in DeAndre Hopkins during the offseason, but a second chance to land the wide receiver has presented itself.

Bleacher Report’s Jordan Schultz reported on Tuesday, October 24, that Hopkins is available ahead of the NFL’s October 31 trade deadline.

“The sense [around the league] is overwhelmingly that everyone really is available, and that really starts with Derrick Henry and DeAndre Hopkins,” Schultz said.

Last edited:
From Tom Pellisero:

From
@NFLTotalAccess
: #Browns QB Deshaun Watson had a new MRI on Monday that showed no additional damage to his throwing shoulder. But he’s still working to regain his strength and velocity. The team has said he’s day-to-day and his status is TBD for Sunday vs. Seattle.

Work him on Wed and if he doesn't have his strength back, stop giving him first team reps and prepare Walker. Make your decision early for the benefit of the team. In other news:

The Cleveland Browns missed out on a generational talent in DeAndre Hopkins during the offseason, but a second chance to land the wide receiver has presented itself.

Bleacher Report’s Jordan Schultz reported on Tuesday, October 24, that Hopkins is available ahead of the NFL’s October 31 trade deadline.

“The sense [around the league] is overwhelmingly that everyone really is available, and that really starts with Derrick Henry and DeAndre Hopkins,” Schultz said.

Hopkin is not a need. I'd prefer a running back and a veteran backup QB, though at this point there will be little available. Leonard Fournette? Henry is starting to show his age after years of taking a beating but I wouldn't mind him trudging through the crappy Cleveland weather but he'd require giving up a draft pick.

Reactions: y2h
From Tom Pellisero:

From
@NFLTotalAccess

What good is Hopkins if you don't have a QB that can get him the ball? Heck you barely knew Cooper was active vs the Colts.

I see I missed a call yesterday from area code 216. I'm guessing Berry was calling to ask me to play QB. It has been 4+ decades, but I'm willing to give it a shot as long as they pay me $500,000 bonus every time one of those DL monsters touches me.

At least they won't be fooling around with Watson and will give the reps to Walker. This injury to Watson is going to last for a while, so bring in a vet qb now.

Some better news: Myles is now part owner of the Cavs:

At least they won't be fooling around with Watson and will give the reps to Walker. This injury to Watson is going to last for a while, so bring in a vet qb now.

Some better news: Myles is now part owner of the Cavs:

Absolutely need a vet QB. Every team knows it, so they will have to overpay in picks to make a deal.

si.com would like to see these two trades:

1. Titans RB Derrick Henry to the Browns​

Compensation: 2024 third-round pick, ’25 sixth-round pick
The Browns’ time to win is now. Whether Deshaun Watson wants to come for that ride is up to him. Cleveland doesn’t have a first-round pick in this upcoming draft, and, while the focus should be on fortifying the running game beyond the Nick Chubb years, Henry would be a quick solution to a pressing need. Cleveland cannot win games without completely overstressing its opponents at the line of scrimmage. Depending on what Watson does, the need for ancillary pieces who can diversify their game plan are pressing. Actually, that’s true whether or not Watson is playing and healthy.

3. Titans QB Ryan Tannehill to the Browns​

Compensation: 2024 fifth-round pick
Depending on whether Kyler Murray expedites his return, we could also slide Joshua Dobbs into this space as well. The Browns got this fifth-round pick for Dobbs in the first place, couldn’t they simply return it, no questions asked? I know Tannehill isn’t an upgrade, but would it be foolish for Cleveland, especially with Watson’s shoulder issue, not to look at the quarterback market? Again, everything hinges on the team’s pivot to competitiveness this year, and, while you still have to maintain a sense of pragmatism, there’s nothing wrong with supporting Watson and bolstering the offense with a quarterback who can win you games. Roseman, in Philadelphia, has been instructive in humbling himself via transactions. He spent a lot of high picks on receivers, then after none of them panned out, he spent some more and made trades. Cleveland made the god-awful decision to bring Watson aboard out of sheer desperation. Wouldn’t the only thing worse be doubling down on Watson and not buttressing the depth chart?

I enjoy the clamor for the return of Brissett. Apparently, those clamoring aren't aware that Rivera won't commit to Howell for the rest of the season.

Also, with the limited draft capital they have after giving up so much for Watsondermytowel, I'm not wild about a higher pick for a rent-a-player.

I enjoy the clamor for the return of Brissett. Apparently, those clamoring aren't aware that Rivera won't commit to Howell for the rest of the season.

Also, with the limited draft capital they have after giving up so much for Watsondermytowel, I'm not wild about a higher pick for a rent-a-player.
I would love to see Brissett come back. I think Watson might be broken, meaning his confidence might be lost. Maybe D. Henry as a back from the Titans to see if he can re-gain his style of play? I think are defense will keep us in most games.

I would love to see Brissett come back. I think Watson might be broken, meaning his confidence might be lost. Maybe D. Henry as a back from the Titans to see if he can re-gain his style of play? I think are defense will keep us in most games.
I wouldn't mind Brissett. I'm just not sure he's as readily available as many think.

I wouldn't mind Brissett. I'm just not sure he's as readily available as many think.

I think Brissett could be had but at what cost? Also, from a Browns perspective is Jacoby Brissett the difference? Is he the missing piece to what….
A) a 500 or winning season
B) becoming a wildcard playoff team
C) perhaps winning the AFC North
D) can he help get you to the playoffs and win a game?
E) getting the Browns to the Super Bowl?

Maybe A or B but no team with Jacoby Brissett at the helm is beating the Ravens, Bills, Dolphins and/or KC to win the AFC and get to the Super Bowl.

So, how important is it for the Haslems & the Browns organization to trade XXX draft pick(s) to get to the playoffs?

I think a "gettable" veteran back would be Dalvin Cook. He's on a one year deal, the Jets aren't using him and he wants out. Stefanski may also have some familiarity with him from Minnesota.