Cleveland Browns 2023 Edition

May they never need him again to do it. Let it be a great send off to a brief career.
But until there’s somebody else on the roster, I want to see him getting the practice reps. Watson needs to be working on the side until he has his act together. Then he can split reps and sit at least a week for the next game until he gets his timing together after having been away from the receivers again. The get your moneys worth argument doesn’t work with a guy that has no touch with involuntary pain like that. Save the tough guy stuff for the rest of the roster decisions, because it’s not working with a throwing shoulder and Deshaun Watson

I mean if he his physically able to play, of course. You can’t improve your game on the bench.
There’s a marked difference between the physicians’ expectations that normal use will not further degrade an injury in a mechanical sense, and whether or not pain degrades function, and I think Mr. Watson has demonstrated that well enough for me.

Further, given the fact that continued “early” use seems likely to extend the period where pain compromises functionality, WTH are we doing here if we keep playing the “better yet?” game with Watson ?

With all of the terrible play, but lots of luck in this game, let's give kudos to Andrew Siciliano, who, for the second week, called a great game on the radio and brought the Browns a tough victory. He can come back any time that Jim isn't here.

And kudos to Dustin Hopkins for this:

Per the Browns, Hopkins has now set an NFL record with at least one 50-plus-yard FG in five consecutive games.
Given Phil Dawson, and all those years of a calling a field goal a “Browns touchdown”, I find that stat pretty remarkable

I get why they went with the pass plays for the sake of preserving the clock, but given what I have seen of Walker, including that near interception late in the 49ers game, I wouldn't have him put the ball in the air when there was ample time with 30 plus seconds to run it and clock it if necessary and run it again. The shovel pass is scary because of such close confines near the goal line. All's well that ends well.

The highlight of the scoring play was Nick Harris lining up at fullback, running through the hole then turning and running into another Browns lineman.
Old PJ had some real “tweak” moments under pressure against SF late, and yesterday looked uglier in some regards, but I’m really afraid that with the roster as it is, he still gives us the best chance to win until Watson is normal

Walker could work for you against an average-to-decent team like Indy if the D was "world class". It got lit up today, necessitating a much bigger performance from him, and that's when things got scary.
The biggest question is, why did the D get lit up?

Harbaugh and the Ravens looked like they baited our aggressiveness pretty well on defense, but this really didn’t look the same to me.

Weird stat from yesterday (CBS posted it before the final Browns drive). Minshew is now 0-8 in games when he threw for 300+ yards. I assume most of those were because he was playing from behind and having to throw like 50 times, but still, strange stat nonetheless.
His TD:INT makes make more difference than the yardage ?

Very loud. All the more reason for PJ Walker to have all the first team reps this coming week, ride or die.
I agree. Sit Watson until he is ready. The team is exponentially worse with Watson in right now. Walker isn't going to win games, but with the defense we have, he should be able to do enough to not lose the game. I hate that saying, but if he can operate the offense well enough to take advantage of the opportunities the Browns defense gives their offense, he should be good enough. Sadly, Watsons lack of arm strength and accuracy is leading to turnovers and putting the defense in bad spots. Walker is not.

The biggest question is, why did the D get lit up?

Harbaugh and the Ravens looked like they baited our aggressiveness pretty well on defense, but this really didn’t look the same to me.
Spent the week patting themselves on the back instead of preparing. Don't think we'll be seeing any historical fewest yards allowed after 6 games stats this week.

Spent the week patting themselves on the back instead of preparing. Don't think we'll be seeing any historical fewest yards allowed after 6 games stats this week.
Big worry of mine is that mild Kevin will let this team become like a few very talented Bengals or Falcons teams

The whole qb playing or not playing is a dilemma, because Stefanski pulled the same garbage with Mayfield. Obviously, Mayfield was in no shape to play, but Stefanski put him out there, saying that he was cleared by the medical staff. We all saw the results. Now, Watson says he is okay to play and he's put out there with obvious handicaps; Mayfield also said he was ready to play, but neither was. In a way Mayfield's situation was more telling in that Stefanski had a backup whom he brought in specifically because he was experienced and trusted by the coach. Yet, he didn't play. Now, he's saddled with two backups who are not NFL ready. If Watson ( don't trust what he says) is still injured, it's time to go out and bring in an experienced backup, even if you have to trade for one. This team has too much potential to be wasted on the shenanigans of Stefanski and his inability to take charge of his qb situation.

The whole qb playing or not playing is a dilemma, because Stefanski pulled the same garbage with Mayfield. Obviously, Mayfield was in no shape to play, but Stefanski put him out there, saying that he was cleared by the medical staff. We all saw the results. Now, Watson says he is okay to play and he's put out there with obvious handicaps; Mayfield also said he was ready to play, but neither was. In a way Mayfield's situation was more telling in that Stefanski had a backup whom he brought in specifically because he was experienced and trusted by the coach. Yet, he didn't play. Now, he's saddled with two backups who are not NFL ready. If Watson ( don't trust what he says) is still injured, it's time to go out and bring in an experienced backup, even if you have to trade for one. This team has too much potential to be wasted on the shenanigans of Stefanski and his inability to take charge of his qb situation.
It's amazing to me that Keenum sat when Mayfield was obviously compromised. Non-throwing shoulder in his case, but the brace, pain, and his rotational delivery did not work together. As OC in Minne, Stefanski won quite a few games with Keenum and Dalvin Cook when Cousins was hurt. Why not Keenum and Chubb, here, unless you want to see Baker fail and leave ? Lose with Baker and get a better draft pick to trade away ?

Kirk Cousins on Line 1
Welp, better make the deal before too long. Remember those guys we pizzed off last week ? They are feeling like ol' Turkey Jones about getting a win tonight.....

turkey-jones-cleve-browns.gif

I’m sure/hope both Mayfield & Watson wanted to play (I know Mayfield did, I assume Watson did Sunday) but I see one glaring difference between the Baker Mayfield - DeShaun Watson situation:
* Mayfield was trying get paid, he was wanting to get a 2nd contract
* Watson already has the 2nd contract

Only Stefanski was going to keep Mayfield off the field - he probably should have a couple of those games because Mayfield hurt the Browns more than he was helping them by playing hurt/limited.

Browns fan have to hope Stefanski was saving Watson from himself yesterday….it just looks like Watson’s problem isn’t his shoulder but between his ears - he looks like Austin Powers when he lost his ‘mojo’.

I agree. Sit Watson until he is ready. The team is exponentially worse with Watson in right now. Walker isn't going to win games, but with the defense we have, he should be able to do enough to not lose the game. I hate that saying, but if he can operate the offense well enough to take advantage of the opportunities the Browns defense gives their offense, he should be good enough. Sadly, Watsons lack of arm strength and accuracy is leading to turnovers and putting the defense in bad spots. Walker is not.
This is false.

Yep, get him healthy. Anybody with a functioning set of eyes and half a brain could see that he was having serious troubles yesterday. I certainly don't question his heart for trying to play, but you could see something was clearly off. The rotator cuff is also not something to mess with. His tendency to extend plays also doesn't bode well to his continued health, especially when he's already hurting.

I’m sure/hope both Mayfield & Watson wanted to play (I know Mayfield did, I assume Watson did Sunday) but I see one glaring difference between the Baker Mayfield - DeShaun Watson situation:
* Mayfield was trying get paid, he was wanting to get a 2nd contract
* Watson already has the 2nd contract

Only Stefanski was going to keep Mayfield off the field - he probably should have a couple of those games because Mayfield hurt the Browns more than he was helping them by playing hurt/limited.
Agreed
Browns fan have to hope Stefanski was saving Watson from himself yesterday….it just looks like Watson’s problem isn’t his shoulder but between his ears - he looks like Austin Powers when he lost his ‘mojo’.
You can wish in one hand, and Kenny Pickett in the other. Time will tell with Watson. What round are you yinzers going to draft a qb this year ?

Agreed

You can wish in one hand, and Kenny Pickett in the other. Time will tell with Watson. What round are you yinzers going to draft a qb this year ?

You mean Kenny Pickett who….
* 2-0 as the starting Steelers qb vs the Browns?
* counts for $3.1 mil against the 2023 cap
* 11-7 as a starting qb
* 357-573, 62.30%, 3661 yards passing, 12 td’s 13 int’s, 79 rushing attempts for 249 yards, 4 rushing tds, 43 sacks w/ 4 fumbles (1 lost)

Pickett compared to DeShaun Watson over his Browns career:
* 0-2 as the Browns starting qb vs the Steelers
* 6-4 as the Browns starting qb
* 165-277, 59.57%, 1795 yards passing, 11 td’s 8 int’s, 41 rushing attempts for 258 yards, 2 rushing tds, 32 sacks w/ 5 fumbles (2 lost)
* counts for 19 mil towards 2023 cap, $63.9 mil each year for 2024, 2025 & 2026 seasons.

Steeler fans are wishing Pickett gets better - Browns fans are crapping their panties with the realization Deshaun IS THE BROWNS STARTING QB for the near future.

Last edited:
You mean Kenny Pickett who….
* 2-0 as the starting Steelers qb vs the Browns?
* counts for $3.1 mil against the 2023 cap
* 11-7 as a starting qb
* 357-573, 62.30%, 3661 yards passing, 12 td’s 13 int’s, 79 rushing attempts for 249 yards, 4 rushing tds, 43 sacks w/ 4 fumbles (1 lost)

Pickett compared to DeShaun Watson over his Browns career:
* 0-2 as the Browns starting qb vs the Steelers
* 6-4 as the Browns starting qb
* 165-277, 59.57%, 1795 yards passing, 11 td’s 8 int’s, 41 rushing attempts for 258 yards, 2 rushing tds, 32 sacks w/ 5 fumbles (2 lost)
* counts for 19 mil towards 2023 cap, $63.9 mil each year for 2024, 2025 & 2026 seasons.

Steeler fans as wishing Pickett gets better - Browns fans are crapping their panties with the realization Deshaun IS THE BROWNS STARTING QB for the near future.
It's wonderful you have Slash-like hopes for Pickett, happy to see it. Be really patient. Yinzer on!!