Cleveland Browns 2023 Edition

What happened? I turned off my TV is disgust after the Browns fumble in the 14 seconds. Now my neighbor just called me to say that somehow the Browns won. Was the a defensive penalty on the Browns fumble?

Takes him till 4th down to figure out to run the ball from the one.

The Browns had 1st and goal from the 1, 33 seconds left and zero timeouts. If you:
* run the ball on 1st down & don’t get a td you have probably 1, maybe 2 more plays.
* pass in 1st down and then run the ball on 2nd down you may get a 3rd down play off.
* passing on 1st, 2nd & 3rd down probably ensures one gets a 4th down providing you do not take a sack on any of the pass plays

Stefanski did the correct thing by passing on 1st, 2nd & 3rd down. The shovel pass on 2nd down is basically a run play. You have a backup qb who most likely won’t be in the NFL next year, giving yourself all 4 downs to get the td is the right thing to do.

The Browns had 1st and goal from the 1, 33 seconds left and zero timeouts. If you:
* run the ball on 1st down & don’t get a td you have probably 1, maybe 2 more plays.
* pass in 1st down and then run the ball on 2nd down you may get a 3rd down play off.
* passing on 1st, 2nd & 3rd down probably ensures one gets a 4th down providing you do not take a sack on any of the pass plays

Stefanski did the correct thing by passing on 1st, 2nd & 3rd down. The shovel pass on 2nd down is basically a run play. You have a backup qb who most likely won’t be in the NFL next year, giving yourself all 4 downs to get the td is the right thing to do.
I agree 100%. I had to explain it to a friend of mine. To get four shots at scoring, which is statistically the optimal way to do it, he had to call passes on the first three downs. Once it reached the fourth down he was free to run or pass. It worked.

Well, they won again, somehow.

PJ Walker is a low tier backup. He seems to be a decent leader (the team seems to rally behind him). But this team is not going to keep winning with him under center.

Stefanski is a frustrating coach but I tend to side with him. He has this team at 4-2 and they have no business being 4-2. Andrew Berry's backup QB situation is PJ Walker or DTR. His starting QB solution, right now, is one of the worst trades/signings in NFL history. Watson stinks and is completely in his own head, injured or not.

Funny how when we traded for Watson I was worried about the defense and the rest of the offense, not the QB, and it turns out the whole problem is flipped. This team has a great defense (though it was exposed quite a bit today) and has enough playmakers on offense that a competent QB could manage this team into the playoffs.

But what do we do? I think we have to go get a real backup QB that can come in and play if needed. Berry will never be able to swallow his pride though and admit he was wrong on Watson/DTR as the duo to start the year. But outside of Wentz (who really doesn't fit this team), there isn't a guy available.

I just can't take another week of watching PJ Walker desperately try to get down the field.

You have a backup QB...exactly why you don't throw 3 times.

Waiting till 4th down if he slips the game is over...on the first 3 downs you get another play. Plenty of time to run it on one of those early downs.

I get why they went with the pass plays for the sake of preserving the clock, but given what I have seen of Walker, including that near interception late in the 49ers game, I wouldn't have him put the ball in the air when there was ample time with 30 plus seconds to run it and clock it if necessary and run it again. The shovel pass is scary because of such close confines near the goal line. All's well that ends well.

The highlight of the scoring play was Nick Harris lining up at fullback, running through the hole then turning and running into another Browns lineman.

Waiting till 4th down if he slips the game is over...on the first 3 downs you get another play. Plenty of time to run it on one of those early downs.

Yea, there is time to run it but you do not get all 4 downs if you are stopped.

Stefanski did the right thing. A fade or the shovel pass ghat they tried is a safe play call in that situation with Walker. You better get use to having Walker, he might be your qb moving forward.

I don’t understand why they didn’t have a designed roll out for him, with the option to run the one yard for the TD. If he got strung out, he would have gone out of bounds.

If you have no Nick Chubb, no Jerome Ford, and just a gimpy Kareem Hunt then that's an iffy proposition. Between that and PJ Walker and David Njoku, it's a pick your poison situation.

Weird stat from yesterday (CBS posted it before the final Browns drive). Minshew is now 0-8 in games when he threw for 300+ yards. I assume most of those were because he was playing from behind and having to throw like 50 times, but still, strange stat nonetheless.

For sure the Browns most forgotten post-season appearance. A young Hanford Dixon was having a hard time with an old Cliff Branch in that first TD drive by the Raiders.
One color guy commented that Cliff Branch’s nephew was playing wide receiver in a game this weekend, but I can’t even remember if it was college or pro.

cleveland.com:

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson took a big step Thursday toward returning to action, possibly as soon as Sunday’s game against the Colts.

For the first time since suffering a strained right rotator cuff Sept. 24 against the Titans, Watson practiced with the team and threw more than just a few passes Thursday in the early part of practice open to the media. He threw some short routes of about 10 yards, and then opened on a few for about 30 yards.

I just listen to a guy read the mayo clinics description of the micro tears to rotator cuff injury. I don’t think I want to see Deshaun Watson again until he’s ready to play at 97 1/2% pain free.