What are these school districts thinking?

I’m a little tired of the fudging of numbers. In absolute terms , we have over 150,000 dead and that happened with many people who never even tried to control the virus by not wearing masks, social distancing, etc. Many of them are on here. Additionally, it’s not just deaths. We have, by the thousands, people maimed for life with inflamed and compromised lungs. They don’t count for something ? In addition, as discovered by German studies, we also are having people who don’t even require hospitalization that are suffering heart damage they must live with. These are much younger than the older population dying as well as the health underlying problems. Overall, the virus problem is significant for more than just the dying. And we have people with a cavalier attitude that also do nothing to help stop the virus. Talk about callous.

And then they turn around and say playing a game is for the health and welfare of kids. Bull$h!t. Selfish, uncaring and uncooperative jerks. Disgusting POS. Doesn’t say much about the character and morality of many.

Last edited:
I’m a little tired of the fudging of numbers. In absolute terms , we have over 150,000 dead and that happened with many people who never even tried to control the virus by not wearing masks, social distancing, etc. Many of them are on here. Additionally, it’s not just deaths. We have, by the thousands, people maimed for life with inflamed and comprised lungs. They don’t count for something ? In addition, as discovered by German studies, we also are having people who don’t even require hospitalization that are suffering heart damage they must live with. These are much younger than the older population dying as well as the health underlying problems. Overall, the virus problem is significant for more than just the dying. And we have people with a cavalier attitude that also do nothing to help stop the virus. Talk about callous.

And then they turn around and say playing a game is for the health and welfare of kids. Bull$h!t. Selfish, uncaring and uncooperative jerks. Disgusting POS. Doesn’t say much about the character and morality of many.
So now that you have that off your chest, what do you propose?

I have believed in survival of the fittest. The world has always thrown horrible diseases at the human race as well as the animal kingdom. Survive and advance. The more science intervenes and combats it, the weaker we will become and more deadly the diseases naturally created become. Mother nature finds a way .....

Last edited:
I have believed in survival of the fittest. The world has always thrown horrible diseases at the human race as well as the animal kingdom. Survive and advance. The more science intervenes and combats it, the weaker we become and more deadly the diseases naturally created become. Mother nature finds a way .....
So that's why our life expectancy keeps getting higher and higher. Another absolute BS statement / belief. We are not getting weaker.

So that's why our life expectancy keeps getting higher and higher. Another absolute BS statement / belief. We are not getting weaker.
Certainly science and medicine has improved things for us humans but I think there is some truth to what he is saying. Think about all those antibiotic resistance bacteria that have developed over the years.

Certainly science and medicine has improved things for us humans but I think there is some truth to what he is saying. Think about all those antibiotic resistance bacteria that have developed over the years.
The bacteria is evolving so we have to get smarter not tougher to combat it.

My thoughts...

1) At some point, our society needs to accept that this virus is and will always be a part of our lives and move on. We have flu vaccines, but 20-25,000 people die from it every year. It tends to kill the elderly and people who have compromised immune systems. Does that sound familiar? We don't shut the world down for the flu. We didn't for H1N1, we didn't for SARS or AIDS. Even when a vaccine is developed, all it is going to take is for COVID-19 to mutate to COVID-20 or whatever number, and then what? We do this the rest of our lives?

2) Regarding sports, my opinion is that it is either safe to play or it is not. I have umpired about 100 baseball games since the state allowed it (end of May) and I can count on one hand the number of people I have seen wearing a mask (coaches, players, fans, umpires combined). To my knowledge, not one person has gotten COVID from playing in the tournaments I umpire. I say this b/c every weekend was the same tournament sponsor/director, so if COVID was happening b/c of the tournaments, it would have been shut down. Also, 75% of the teams from week to week were the same teams, I saw many of the same players and coaches every weekend. Football players are practicing, runners are running, there is no difference between practice and game except you are "exposed" to more people, but the same is true for every sport.

3) When COVID started, everyone believed that the virus would subside in the heat, now everyone is saying "lets push back to October 1st" or Spring, what is going to change?

We either need to accept the virus is part of our life and move on and stop shutting everything down, or we shut everything down and live like this forever. (By the way, I prefer the former)

The bacteria is evolving so we have to get smarter not tougher to combat it.
Yes....they evolved due to the antibiotics use. Or overuse is a better way to say it. And some are untreatable. This affects something like 3 million people annually in the US.

But how does that take away from his statement that "mother nature finds a way"?

I’m a little tired of the fudging of numbers. In absolute terms , we have over 150,000 dead and that happened with many people who never even tried to control the virus by not wearing masks, social distancing, etc. Many of them are on here. Additionally, it’s not just deaths. We have, by the thousands, people maimed for life with inflamed and compromised lungs. They don’t count for something ?
Seriously - is there reliable evidence that this is actually happening? Has Dr. Fauci mentioned it in such gloomy terms?

Or is it part of the 'everyone's dying' extreme panic that some people are buying into?

The virus is serious, no doubt, but the 'thousands ... maimed for life' statement does not sound entirely realistic.

Yes....they (various bacteria) evolved due to the antibiotics use. Or overuse is a better way to say it.
I feel we Americans are too reliant on antibiotics and all kinds of prescription drugs - and probably too clean. A little dirt is healthy for us!

Washing your hands 20 or more times a day with a soap that kills 99.9% of germs seems like kind of an extreme practice and is probably not the healthiest approach. I think the body's having to actively fight off germs helps educate a person's immune system. So we want to be clean, of course, but only to a point.

Apparently, one of the population groups in the U.S. that boasts among the very lowest rates for childhood allergies and asthma is the Amish. I believe Amish kids often go barefoot, are around livestock a lot, wash up only a modest amount, etc. Maybe we can learn from them.

Last edited:
I feel we Americans are too reliant on antibiotics and all kinds of prescription drugs - and probably too clean. A little dirt is healthy for us!

Washing your hands 20 or more times a day with a soap that kills 99.9% of germs seems like kind of an extreme practice and is probably not the healthiest approach.

Apparently, one of the population groups in the U.S. that boasts among the very lowest rates for childhood allergies and asthma is the Amish. I believe Amish kids often go barefoot, are around livestock a lot, wash up only a modest amount, eat less processed foods and drinks, etc. Maybe we can learn from them.
Yes. Went to lunch with some people a couple weeks ago. After one guy asked me if I wanted hand sanitizer. I declined and explained it's indiscriminate and kills both the bad and good bacteria which we need. Soap and water is all you need.

And yes, kids need to be playing in the dirt more.

Here's what I believe.... all of the arguments,discussions, debates about kids catching the virus (by the way it's not a bacteria), spreading it, dying from it, etc are deceiving. One can throw out all kinds of data to support their argument, but......

Think about it this way. Schools were shut down in mid-March. Millions of kids were sent home and isolated. Because of this no one was able to actually learn what affect it truly will had on this age group. Around early June things slowly opened back up. They started playing summer ball, traveling, hanging out with their friends. Since then we have seen a spike in numbers (though small), and data for this age group has slowly been rolling in.

So the time has come to start back to school and all he!! has broken out over whether we should or not. Yes it is true that these kids have been doing things all summer and the data is starting to reflect this. Yeah, Johnny and his 10 buddies have played 35 baseball games this summer and nothing has happened. But that is much different than putting 100's if not 1000's of kids back into an enclosed setting for 5-7 hours a day, 5 days a week for the next 180 or so days. Plus we are going to stick an adult in there with them with some protection (if they are lucky to get that much) and some people are okay with this.

So are our children, along with all school personnel, going to become the test lab rats for a deadly virus? And this is okay? And yet we adults are arguing about whether they should be playing football or not? Know one really knows what is going to happen but we will as soon as we put all of these people back into school full force here soon.

I am all for opening schools, but at what cost? I want sports to happen, but not at the expense of educating our kids. I want our kids to have a chance to live long prosperous lives. But we all know what happens to lab rats.

Here's what I believe.... all of the arguments,discussions, debates about kids catching the virus (by the way it's not a bacteria), spreading it, dying from it, etc are deceiving. One can throw out all kinds of data to support their argument, but......

Think about it this way. Schools were shut down in mid-March. Millions of kids were sent home and isolated. Because of this no one was able to actually learn what affect it truly will had on this age group. Around early June things slowly opened back up. They started playing summer ball, traveling, hanging out with their friends. Since then we have seen a spike in numbers (though small), and data for this age group has slowly been rolling in.

So the time has come to start back to school and all he!! has broken out over whether we should or not. Yes it is true that these kids have been doing things all summer and the data is starting to reflect this. Yeah, Johnny and his 10 buddies have played 35 baseball games this summer and nothing has happened. But that is much different than putting 100's if not 1000's of kids back into an enclosed setting for 5-7 hours a day, 5 days a week for the next 180 or so days. Plus we are going to stick an adult in there with them with some protection (if they are lucky to get that much) and some people are okay with this.

So are our children, along with all school personnel, going to become the test lab rats for a deadly virus? And this is okay? And yet we adults are arguing about whether they should be playing football or not? Know one really knows what is going to happen but we will as soon as we put all of these people back into school full force here soon.

I am all for opening schools, but at what cost? I want sports to happen, but not at the expense of educating our kids. I want our kids to have a chance to live long prosperous lives. But we all know what happens to lab rats.
Yes, we know it's a virus. Nobody said it wasn't.

Deadly virus....for some parts of the population. But they are long past k-12 school.

The lab experiment is over. Most adults with children have been working and dragging the boogie virus home. No one has locked away without getting groceries, gas, or supplies. The exposure has happened. Until people get that moment of clarity that everyone’s lives have already been exposed (outside of maybe nursing homes but even then workers come in with it), then we will continually get these absurd posts about lab rats.

The unfortunate truth is that unless we are going to move all learning online for the rest of time at some point we are going to have to do this "lab rat" experiment. We can delay it and try to control it all we want but at some point we are going to have to put teachers and students back in a room and see what happens. It may be a disaster or it may go well. But at least we will know and can plan from there.

Before someone jumps down my throat. My dad is a teacher who is very ready to go back. And if I was qualified I would volunteer to be the "lab rat" myself.

I’m a little tired of the fudging of numbers. In absolute terms , we have over 150,000 dead and that happened with many people who never even tried to control the virus by not wearing masks, social distancing, etc. Many of them are on here. Additionally, it’s not just deaths. We have, by the thousands, people maimed for life with inflamed and compromised lungs. They don’t count for something ? In addition, as discovered by German studies, we also are having people who don’t even require hospitalization that are suffering heart damage they must live with. These are much younger than the older population dying as well as the health underlying problems. Overall, the virus problem is significant for more than just the dying. And we have people with a cavalier attitude that also do nothing to help stop the virus. Talk about callous.

150,000 dead is not even 10% of what they predicted up front. That is an amazing victory. We have only lost 10% of what we thought we would.

As for the people maimed for life. Yes, some will be, that 85 year old who recovers from this virus only to need oxygen and ends up dying five months later is a shame, they may have lived to be 87 if no virus had been present.

Talk about lack of character, hiding from this virus and not facing it head on is cowardly. No one is getting out of here alive beyond 2100 so it wont make much difference a thousand years from now how we died. It will make a difference how we lived and made the most of life and prospered in the face of adversity.

That's some real Orwellian chit there D4. Woeful incompetence, spreading lies, absurd conspiracies, confusion, undermining experts, and abdicating any responsibility does not equal character, bravery, facing it head on. It equals rationalizing your support in the face of a catastrophe.

We can face the virus head on with facts, science, and truth. Like most non-chit hole countries have been able to under better leadership. Which now includes banning the United States, and rightfully so. How's that for cruel irony?

Last edited:
So, parents can make sure kids can swim and play baseball and a host of other fun activities, but it's my daughter's responsibility to educate them in person during a pandemic because the parents can't really parent? It's tiresome to hear all the excuses and responsibility shifting. I'm responsible for my children 24 hours a day. It doesn't matter where I am or where they are. Personal freedoms. Personal responsibility. Blah Blah Blah...This is an embarrassment. Bring in circus tents and let school happen outdoors like swimming, and baseball and bike riding.

Services will be provided, it's up to parents to make sure their kids do the work.
This isn't the 1950's. Mommies don't stay home in mass to supervise their kids 24/7, let alone educate them. One parent homes are becoming the norm nowadays. The custodial parents need to be able to work to support their kids. Those families in the inner cities don't have mom w/her minivan or SUV available during the work day to pick up the slack. If parents don't work, unemployement grows, which means less tax revenue for schools, which means failed levies. It ain't that hard.

My daughter will do her job. She has spent all summer. (Not getting paid and not collecting unemployment) going through her entire lesson plan and putting together videos and extra help sheets etc, so she is prepared if it's not in person.

She had to deal with parents that didn't give a crap before all of this started during the Spring. Emails and phone calls from 6 am to 11 pm. Same parents couldn't answer emails or call her back when she reached out to them when their kids were getting behind and not doing well in class.
My point exactly. virtual learning has been a failure in so many cases. My friend teaches in an inner city school & reports this past Spring he averaged about 25 % of his students even logged on to the educational site. That's the reality, kids not getting educated. Not questioning teachers role, but if kids or parentless homes don't buy in, its a recipe for failure.

New Palestine High School in Indiana. What your school may look like.

But of course there are issues as expected.

My point exactly. virtual learning has been a failure in so many cases. My friend teaches in an inner city school & reports this past Spring he averaged about 25 % of his students even logged on to the educational site. That's the reality, kids not getting educated. Not questioning teachers role, but if kids or parentless homes don't buy in, its a recipe for failure.
This is my wife’s experience as well. On line teaching especially for grade school, does not work.

Actually, studies have shown that putting kids back into a school environment, with the proper safety measures in place has not resulted in some huge spike in Covid cases. In fact, its just the opposite. There are many European countries who have returned to class rooms, or never shut down in the first place. Don't get sucked into the political porn. Everybody pro shutdown always screams to follow the science, yet when the actual science is presented via the CDC, etc that they recommend kids return to school, then its not science any longer. Everybody has an opinion for sure, but don't tell me its important to socially distance and wear a mask per the CDC, and then try to discredit that organizations recommendation re returning kids to the classroom.

First day of school in GA
20200804_101458.jpg

Actually, studies have shown that putting kids back into a school environment, with the proper safety measures in place has not resulted in some huge spike in Covid cases. In fact, its just the opposite. There are many European countries who have returned to class rooms, or never shut down in the first place. Don't get sucked into the political porn. Everybody pro shutdown always screams to follow the science, yet when the actual science is presented via the CDC, etc that they recommend kids return to school, then its not science any longer. Everybody has an opinion for sure, but don't tell me its important to socially distance and wear a mask per the CDC, and then try to discredit that organizations recommendation re returning kids to the classroom.
Studies say:
1) social distance up to 6 ft is best
2) wear mask always
3) wash hands as often as possible
4) outside situations are far better than inside

*None of those are being followed at this Georgia HS

The reality is no one knows for sure what will happen will school starts. The test cases begin in ohio soon. Hope you are correct