What are these school districts thinking?

Kids don’t die from it, and rarely spread it. That’s what the numbers say. They should be playing their sport.
For the most part we have largely shielded our children from large indoor congregate settings since the onset of Covid-19. So some of this data should be taken with a grain of salt

To me it is simple, as with almost everything you compare the risk vrs reward. Kids simply are not affected by the virus enough to justify any more shutdown. They also do not spread it enough to matter. When compared to the regular flu kids do much better with this virus. So should we have been shutting down every year from December to April??? No, because we know and accept a certain amount of risk with life and consider uneducated kids without structure to be more risk to society than the flu.

Kids are getting together regardless and rates of suicide, drug abuse, depression are rapidly rising and much more of a problem for them than the virus. It's just science and numbers. We want the kids back in school and sports because we care.

So, parents can make sure kids can swim and play baseball and a host of other fun activities, but it's my daughter's responsibility to educate them in person during a pandemic because the parents can't really parent? It's tiresome to hear all the excuses and responsibility shifting. I'm responsible for my children 24 hours a day. It doesn't matter where I am or where they are. Personal freedoms. Personal responsibility. Blah Blah Blah...This is an embarrassment. Bring in circus tents and let school happen outdoors like swimming, and baseball and bike riding.

Services will be provided, it's up to parents to make sure their kids do the work.
Your daughter has a degree in education and a teaching certification, parents don't. Parents can make sure that kids do the work but it's not their responsibility to teach them the material. I somehow missed the study that showed that teachers are more susceptible to catching this virus than the rest of the working population. To read the posts from many on here, walking into a school building is a certain death sentence for them.

The very same people on here crying over and over about teachers. Yet they wouldn’t think twice about calling an HVAC company into their home if their AC unit went out or buying groceries that workers sat in a factory for 12 hours to make or calling the internet guy into their homes that covers a 4 county area. Essential workers. Get over it people. We all have to do our part. Wow. The holier than thou routine is PLAYED OUT.

Just so I’m on the same page with the crazies. We don’t need teachers, teaching is dangerous. We don’t need police, police are dangerous. It’s too dangerous to play school sports, but completely safe to play club sports. We can contract Covid anywhere so we should stay in a bunker unless we protest, because protesting is safe. Am I missing anything else?

False. It’s your daughters responsibility to do her job paid for by taxpayers. If the job is too dangerous, then find another means of work. It’s funny people continue to cry and make excuses for educators when the essential workers are in the middle of it everyday. Factories for example. A guy is making 16 bucks to stand on a line and touch parts that the previous five have handled. Or package food that has been processed by ten other people. Are they exempt from feeding you or making car parts or refrigerators?

Enough with the crying BS from teachers or families of teachers. You want to feel bad for someone? How about the nurse that brings home 50k per year but has to clean the patient up that is dying from Covid. Stop making excuses. It’s lame and played out. YES. we all have to do our part as essential workers. Including teachers.
My daughter will do her job. She has spent all summer. (Not getting paid and not collecting unemployment) going through her entire lesson plan and putting together videos and extra help sheets etc, so she is prepared if it's not in person.

She had to deal with parents that didn't give a crap before all of this started during the Spring. Emails and phone calls from 6 am to 11 pm. Same parents couldn't answer emails or call her back when she reached out to them when their kids were getting behind and not doing well in class.

My daughter will do her job. She has spent all summer. (Not getting paid and not collecting unemployment) going through her entire lesson plan and putting together videos and extra help sheets etc, so she is prepared if it's not in person.

She had to deal with parents that didn't give a crap before all of this started during the Spring. Emails and phone calls from 6 am to 11 pm. Same parents couldn't answer emails or call her back when she reached out to them when their kids were getting behind and not doing well in class.
You just gave all the arguments of why we should be in school. Thank you for real life examples of the importance of kids being in school

Your daughter has a degree in education and a teaching certification, parents don't. Parents can make sure that kids do the work but it's not their responsibility to teach them the material. I somehow missed the study that showed that teachers are more susceptible to catching this virus than the rest of the working population. To read the posts from many on here, walking into a school building is a certain death sentence for them.
I didn't say that. It's my daughter's responsibility to teach the material, but if it's remote learning, which she has absolutely no say so over, she is still providing that service. It's up to the parents to make sure the kids are doing the work. The service is still being provided, so stop the complaining. IT IS NOT THE TEACHERS DECISIONS TO OPEN BUILDINGS.

You just gave all the arguments of why we should be in school. Thank you for real life examples of the importance of kids being in school
Examples of parents not taking responsibility for their children. Those were all my examples.

Examples of parents not taking responsibility for their children. Those were all my examples.
Exactly. That’s why we have schools. Unfortunately some parents don’t or can’t do the right thing. Thank you for brining it to everyone’s attention

Exactly. That’s why we have schools. Unfortunately some parents don’t or can’t do the right thing. Thank you for brining it to everyone’s attention
Not the schools job to make up for irresponsible parents. I still believe the hybrid model is the way to go to start the year. Test safety procedures, see if cases spike etc. Maybe go a month this way and then re-evaluate.

Personal protection gear is still hard to get ...hard to believe incompetent this President is, at this point it is a lack of caring

For the most part we have largely shielded our children from large indoor congregate settings since the onset of Covid-19. So some of this data should be taken with a grain of salt
That isn't really how data works. The studies done that concluded them not spreading it, were scientific studies, they would account for such situations.

Welcome to the real world? You mean to tell me in your job you only receive emails during business hours? And what do you mean she wasn't being paid this summer? They work their 180 and days or so, and are paid over the whole year. Teaching is a great gig, I ought to know, my wife is one.

Welcome to the real world? You mean to tell me in your job you only receive emails during business hours? And what do you mean she wasn't being paid this summer? They work their 180 and days or so, and are paid over the whole year. Teaching is a great gig, I ought to know, my wife is one.
Then you should know that teachers have a choice to take a smaller check and spread it over the whole year.

I work for one of the largest companies in the world. I only take emails and calls during business hours unless it is an emergency. My job is not my life

Then you should know that teachers have a choice to take a smaller check and spread it over the whole year.

I work for one of the largest companies in the world. I only take emails and calls during business hours unless it is an emergency. My job is not my life
To suggest that his daughter is working for free is silly, and disingenuous. Props to you for being able to not have to deal with things outside your 40 hour work week. I don't know any professionals like that. I hope for you, you never have to change jobs.

To suggest that his daughter is working for free is silly, and disingenuous. Props to you for being able to not have to deal with things outside your 40 hour work week. I don't know any professionals like that. I hope for you, you never have to change jobs.
I am fortunate that I have great bosses who understand work life balance. I work around 48 hours per week. My office last month was the beach. This pandemic has shown old people that are stuck in their ways that many can work remotely more effectively.

Let me know the next time you sign a contract for 180 or so days and work extra days without pay. Teachers have been working long hours this summer preparing for multiple learning options.

That isn't really how data works. The studies done that concluded them not spreading it, were scientific studies, they would account for such situations.
The data then would be incomplete seeing that indoor congregate settings would be an important variable in the study. Likewise as more data comes in it is becoming more evident that children can carry and transmit the virus. See: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/health/coronavirus-children-schools.html (Children 10 and up spread Covid-19 just as much as adults) https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/health/coronavirus-children-camp.html (Georgia camp out break). Everyone wants things to be back to normal, but unfortunately these are not normal times. The notion that teachers/coaches need to be "introduced to the real world" is naive at best. Let's look at the issue of school violence. Teachers take part in ALICE training (shot at with rubber bullets) & stop the bleed training (many teachers have a tourniquet sitting in their desk.....let that sit in for a minute). Many of the people advocating about taking risks and not living in fear have pushed for educators to be armed during the workday. Schools have continued to adapt and take on more without the help of many elected officials. At the end of the day this too shall pass.

I am fortunate that I have great bosses who understand work life balance. I work around 48 hours per week. My office last month was the beach. This pandemic has shown old people that are stuck in their ways that many can work remotely more effectively.

Let me know the next time you sign a contract for 180 or so days and work extra days without pay. Teachers have been working long hours this summer preparing for multiple learning options.
You must have missed the part when I said my wife is a teacher, my dad was too. She works in the summer, on teaching things, but doesn't consider it working and not getting paid. It's just part of the job.

1. you are so WRONG about kids not being at risk.
2. And all the teachers I work with, miss our kids, and love our kids. That's why we do what we do. So your comment about "it's more fun sitting on our a** at home doing nothing is a joke and pathetic. And I can guarantee we weren't sitting at home doing nothing. That was not fun planning for virtual and not being face to face with the kids. And it was not doing nothing. You are obviously not a happy person or a jealous one. You need to find happiness and peace in your life somehow. Maybe counseling. Maybe God. People that are hurting, hurt others. I wish you luck in finding something that makes you happy in life versus bashing others that bust our a** for other people's children. Have a great day.
Kids are at low risk. At greater risk of a bunch of other things if they are at home as opposed to school or practice.

The data then would be incomplete seeing that indoor congregate settings would be an important variable in the study. Likewise as more data comes in it is becoming more evident that children can carry and transmit the virus. See: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/health/coronavirus-children-schools.html (Children 10 and up spread Covid-19 just as much as adults) https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/health/coronavirus-children-camp.html (Georgia camp out break). Everyone wants things to be back to normal, but unfortunately these are not normal times. The notion that teachers/coaches need to be "introduced to the real world" is naive at best. Let's look at the issue of school violence. Teachers take part in ALICE training (shot at with rubber bullets) & stop the bleed training (many teachers have a tourniquet sitting in their desk.....let that sit in for a minute). Many of the people advocating about taking risks and not living in fear have pushed for educators to be armed during the workday. Schools have continued to adapt and take on more without the help of many elected officials. At the end of the day this too shall pass.
None of that changes the fact that kids don't die from it. And only a tiny percent of the population do die from it. And the age group they fall into are the really old, who are not teachers. My wife, brother, SIL, MIL and Dad were or are teachers. So I think my understanding of the profession is pretty good.

Not the schools job to make up for irresponsible parents. I still believe the hybrid model is the way to go to start the year. Test safety procedures, see if cases spike etc. Maybe go a month this way and then re-evaluate.

Personal protection gear is still hard to get ...hard to believe incompetent this President is, at this point it is a lack of caring
I agree ... I found it interesting that a friend of mine asked his school district for plexiglass ... and they said no .... so grocery store clerks get plexiglass to help keep them safe but teachers do not.

None of that changes the fact that kids don't die from it. And only a tiny percent of the population do die from it. And the age group they fall into are the really old, who are not teachers. My wife, brother, SIL, MIL and Dad were or are teachers. So I think my understanding of the profession is pretty good.
I think you are missing the point. Kids can transmit the virus. They are pretty socially mobile. Virus spreads to community......there is a potential ripple effect that warrants schools using a hybrid model that can ensure social distancing & reduce the risk of transmission. Again this too shall pass.

I think you are missing the point. Kids can transmit the virus. They are pretty socially mobile. Virus spreads to community......there is a potential ripple effect that warrants schools using a hybrid model that can ensure social distancing & reduce the risk of transmission. Again this too shall pass.
Experts disagree with your view here.

What? Go to Walmart and pick up a 12 pack of Hanes masks!

I feel truly sorry for the kids that your wife and your family teach. Just piss poor attitude towards schooling. All I keep hearing is “not their job” and “parents suck....kids suck.....society sucks”. My guess is that your family has scarred more than done good if that’s their actual stance!

As for you. Unless you live off the grid and take no power from a power company, create your own internet, harvest all your own food, make your own clothing, transmit your own television, run your own cooling system, and do everything that essential workers do for you in the REAL WORLD....unless you do all of that, GET OVER YOURSELF. Teachers are going to teach and stop bashing kids and society. Yes!!! Part of what teachers learn is how to help raise and teach kids right from wrong. It’s their job!!!

Ummmm Yeah like always, now they are spreading a virus that kills more and can cause longer term damage to a small percentage of individuals? What do you want to do about it? It is not going to change for the next many years. Either go into your personal dooms day bunker or live life and take the precautions. Very basic techniques wipe this thing out without the entire world sticking their heads in the sand.

Nature has spoken, no one is getting us out of this. Vaccine will be limited effectively but help. This will not really pass, it is just something we have to now deal with as a species.

No, my daughter's contract is for 9 months. Her pay is based off of the school year. She is not paid for the summer months. She also coaches the entire year. She puts in a good 60-72 hours a week. She does her job. If she has to do distance teaching, she has it together. Parents and kids responsibility after that. Every teacher I know is sick about the thought of distance learning. They typically love to teach and those that don't get out. And like your wife, would probably do it for free. She volunteers to coach half the year because they do not have an position. Not for herself. She's good at thinks the kids deserve it.

She has to deal with some very upsetting situations with some of her students. She understands that and does the best she can. Blaming teachers is disingenuous.

But funny what people think is a teachers job. Now it's teaching right from wrong. A bunch of people that are "more worried about being Democrats than teachers" but, must teach morals and values and right from wrong, but my values not their values.

Hundreds of employees in Georgia's largest school system have either tested positive or been exposed to the virus after just one day of preparation for the school year. Hundreds of kids and staffers contacted the virus at a Georgia summer camp 5 days in. Outbreaks already running through frats on the West Coast. In-person schooling this fall is a fantasy. Of course we all want kids in school, but we have completely failed our nation's kids with our rampant social and political irresponsibility the last 3 months. Teachers went to school and signed up to teach math, English, social studies, etc. They didn't sign up to prepare their wills and risk their lives just to go back to work. But there are parts of the country where they will be used as political pawns, and when the first teacher is hospitalized and dies, which is absolutely going to happen, or God forbid the first student, or first parent or family member, it's over. No national leadership, no plan, just rampant incompetence and inane demands that schools be open as the virus spreads at uncontrolled rates throughout the country. Be angry at that, not at the administrators that decide schools can't open, because they've been put in an impossible position

Hundreds of employees in Georgia's largest school system have either tested positive or been exposed to the virus after just one day of preparation for the school year. Hundreds of kids and staffers contacted the virus at a Georgia summer camp 5 days in. Outbreaks already running through frats on the West Coast. In-person schooling this fall is a fantasy. Of course we all want kids in school, but we have completely failed our nation's kids with our rampant social and political irresponsibility the last 3 months. Teachers went to school and signed up to teach math, English, social studies, etc. They didn't sign up to prepare their wills and risk their lives just to go back to work. But there are parts of the country where they will be used as political pawns, and when the first teacher is hospitalized and dies, which is absolutely going to happen, or God forbid the first student, or first parent or family member, it's over. No national leadership, no plan, just rampant incompetence and inane demands that schools be open as the virus spreads at uncontrolled rates throughout the country. Be angry at that, not at the administrators that decide schools can't open, because they've been put in an impossible position

So school close forever? No more school, you know nothing is changing for a long time. We can live with the virus getting people sick and killing people since that happens to such a small percentage. If you open it up August 2021, the exact sample problem is here. The vaccine will help just a little.

· Aug 1
Iowa HS baseball season ends tonight (only state where HS sports have taken place since pandemic) It wasn’t exactly smooth sailing with Covid but: - 94% of teams were unaffected - 96% finished season - all infections reportedly mild - fans were allowed all season

Kids don’t die from it, and rarely spread it. That’s what the numbers say. They should be playing their sport.
Kids under 10 rarely spread it. 10-19 the jury is still out. CDC says directly that playing teams across geographical areas is the highest risk, which is what a football season is.