What are these school districts thinking?

I think it's more accurate to say that kids rarely die from it. Some have died from it.

I don't know why it's always all or nothing with so many of you. It has to be managed in a smart manner. If there are big outbreaks in a community, it has to be dealt with. There are compromises that can be had.

I think it's more accurate to say that kids rarely die from it. Some have died from it.

I don't know why it's always all or nothing with so many of you. It has to be managed in a smart manner. If there are big outbreaks in a community, it has to be dealt with. There are compromises that can be had.
If you ranked the things that will kill a person between the ages of 0-19, how high would COVID rank, in your opinion? You manage to the level of risk. I'm pretty sure no one is saying that it doesn't need to be dealt with. But the data doesn't support doing much of anything other than protecting the oldest among us.

Kids under 10 rarely spread it. 10-19 the jury is still out. CDC says directly that playing teams across geographical areas is the highest risk, which is what a football season is.
Yes we get that. That is here forever. Are you proposing cancelling football forever? If not, what will be different in 2021? If you say vaccine wrong answer.

I wish I could like this 100 times.

If you ranked the things that will kill a person between the ages of 0-19, how high would COVID rank, in your opinion? You manage to the level of risk. I'm pretty sure no one is saying that it doesn't need to be dealt with. But the data doesn't support doing much of anything other than protecting the oldest among us.
I don't think we have managed to the level of risk so far. It's spreading into more rural areas around the US. It's not contained. I am working today, but I will take time to put my thoughts down in a simple way later this evening. I think at 5 months into this, we should have been able to have kids go back to school. I think we waste time everyday and are no closer to that goal than we were at the end of March. It's very complex as you know.

Yes we get that. That is here forever. Are you proposing cancelling football forever? If not, what will be different in 2021? If you say vaccine wrong answer.
No. I'm simply pointing out that the while the CDC says kids should go back to school, CDC says it's a bad idea to have youth sports across geographical areas. People keep saying "CDC says kids should be in school" as if that magically infers interscholastic sports.

What I would propose would be to have our community transmission under control so that we could be targeted with our restrictions, but we don't, so we can't.

Hundreds of employees in Georgia's largest school system have either tested positive or been exposed to the virus after just one day of preparation for the school year. Hundreds of kids and staffers contacted the virus at a Georgia summer camp 5 days in. Outbreaks already running through frats on the West Coast. In-person schooling this fall is a fantasy. Of course we all want kids in school, but we have completely failed our nation's kids with our rampant social and political irresponsibility the last 3 months. Teachers went to school and signed up to teach math, English, social studies, etc. They didn't sign up to prepare their wills and risk their lives just to go back to work. But there are parts of the country where they will be used as political pawns, and when the first teacher is hospitalized and dies, which is absolutely going to happen, or God forbid the first student, or first parent or family member, it's over. No national leadership, no plan, just rampant incompetence and inane demands that schools be open as the virus spreads at uncontrolled rates throughout the country. Be angry at that, not at the administrators that decide schools can't open, because they've been put in an impossible position
They were able to track it back to that 1 day of school prep? Those people never been anywhere else since then? I think you're exaggerating a little.

I don't think we have managed to the level of risk so far. It's spreading into more rural areas around the US. It's not contained. I am working today, but I will take time to put my thoughts down in a simple way later this evening. I think at 5 months into this, we should have been able to have kids go back to school. I think we waste time everyday and are no closer to that goal than we were at the end of March. It's very complex as you know.
The USA is a big country. To me it makes sense it takes time to spread into the rural areas from the larger population areas.

Still trying to figure out how we contain a virus. It's not like we are herding animals or something. It has to run its course.

They were able to track it back to that 1 day of school prep? Those people never been anywhere else since then? I think you're exaggerating a little.
Read the story yourself. Of course it was brought in from elsewhere, which is going to happen at schools all over the country.

Read the story yourself. Of course it was brought in from elsewhere, which is going to happen at schools all over the country.

Yes. People are going to be exposed to the virus. The only way you can prevent that is a complete lockdown of the country which isn't realistic. In fact, it would be suicide to the country.

So either be exposed to the virus or watch the country crumble. Which do you prefer?

So school close forever? No more school, you know nothing is changing for a long time. We can live with the virus getting people sick and killing people since that happens to such a small percentage. If you open it up August 2021, the exact sample problem is here. The vaccine will help just a little.
Of course not, but you have to suppress the virus enough to give schools a fighting chance. We've lost the right to demand schools be open by ignoring the steps needed the past 3 months that would allow them to be open.

Yes. People are going to be exposed to the virus. The only way you can prevent that is a complete lockdown of the country which isn't realistic. In fact, it would be suicide to the country.

So either be exposed to the virus or watch the country crumble. Which do you prefer?
It's already crumbling, and the economy can't be functional until the virus is controlled. We continue to do it backwards.

Of course not, but you have to suppress the virus enough to give schools a fighting chance. We've lost the right to demand schools be open by ignoring the steps needed the past 3 months that would allow them to be open.
Such as what? What did we not do that we were supposed to?

It's already crumbling, and the economy can't be functional until the virus is controlled. We continue to do it backwards.
At some point, life needs to go on. We can't wait for the magical vaccine. We can't keep printing money for people. You're going to get exposed to the virus. The sooner you accept this the faster you can move on.

· Aug 1
Iowa HS baseball season ends tonight (only state where HS sports have taken place since pandemic) It wasn’t exactly smooth sailing with Covid but: - 94% of teams were unaffected - 96% finished season - all infections reportedly mild - fans were allowed all season
Those are good numbers. Was led to believe it wasn't going as well as you said. Can you link you source for those numbers

The USA is a big country. To me it makes sense it takes time to spread into the rural areas from the larger population areas.

Still trying to figure out how we contain a virus. It's not like we are herding animals or something. It has to run its course.

It doesn't have to run "its" course. The course can somewhat be controlled.

There are issues beyond the simple math and science. Fear explodes. One rumor, which isn't all that rare in this social media age and you have a school full of panicked kids.

Distance Learning isn't the only social adjustment that wasn't competently made last school year. Whoever decides to "open" I hope isn't planning on any real curriculum until they get the kids used to simply sharing space again. The whole K-12 system is going back to kindergarten where they're training kids socialization and following commands.

At some point, life needs to go on. We can't wait for the magical vaccine. We can't keep printing money for people. You're going to get exposed to the virus. The sooner you accept this the faster you can move on.
Maybe self-imposed exposure is the best thing? Once you've had the virus, you should be in the clear and not have to worry about it. It's like having the Golden Ticket. ???????

No. I'm simply pointing out that the while the CDC says kids should go back to school, CDC says it's a bad idea to have youth sports across geographical areas. People keep saying "CDC says kids should be in school" as if that magically infers interscholastic sports.

What I would propose would be to have our community transmission under control so that we could be targeted with our restrictions, but we don't, so we can't.
That's very weak and broad via the CDC on sports....what defines a geographical area? Urban schools one mile apart? Rural schools five miles apart? Do we have to go a county or further apart? What if I live on a county border?

I read your post on exposure risk in contact sports by the CDC. Its a very cautious approach, but I don't think anyone playing local high school football is crossing imaginary geographic lines. Maybe the playoffs would be tougher or different.

That's very weak and broad via the CDC on sports....what defines a geographical area? Urban schools one mile apart? Rural schools five miles apart? Do we have to go a county or further apart? What if I live on a county border?
Ask the CDC, I don't know. It should probably be tied to the health district, which in rural areas are generally tied to counties.

I read your post on exposure risk in contact sports by the CDC. Its a very cautious approach, but I don't think anyone playing local high school football is crossing imaginary geographic lines. Maybe the playoffs would be tougher or different.

My nearest high school is in a conference that includes schools in 6 counties. In the ohio COVID map today, 2 are yellow, 4 are orange. 5 of the counties are neighbors to red counties.

Ask the CDC, I don't know. It should probably be tied to the health district, which in rural areas are generally tied to counties.

You keep quoting it. I'm just making a generalized statement.
My nearest high school is in a conference that includes schools in 6 counties. In the ohio COVID map today, 2 are yellow, 4 are orange. 5 of the counties are neighbors to red counties.
I'm not really into the color codes. Took my county which should have been yellow for the entirety of Dewine's color page to finally get fixed this past week into the yellow.

Your comment is short and simple - but so true. Good job!!

... and the faster it runs its course, the quicker we're out of this (or at least through the roughest patch). I honestly wonder if maybe we should be doing little to nothing to prevent kids from getting it. The quicker they're past it, the quicker they can hug grandma.

Last edited:

There are issues beyond the simple math and science. Fear explodes. One rumor, which isn't all that rare in this social media age and you have a school full of panicked kids.

Distance Learning isn't the only social adjustment that wasn't competently made last school year. Whoever decides to "open" I hope isn't planning on any real curriculum until they get the kids used to simply sharing space again. The whole K-12 system is going back to kindergarten where they're training kids socialization and following commands.
The fear has been created by the media misrepresenting the seriousness of the virus. Initially they couldn't know. But now we know who are truly at risk.

This is short and simple - but so true. Good job!!

... and the faster it runs its course, the quicker we're out of this (or at least through the roughest patch). I honestly wonder if maybe we should be doing little to nothing to prevent kids from getting it. The quicker they're past it, the quicker they can hug grandma.
This is what it looks like when you don't let it run its course. You simply kick the can down the road.

This is what it looks like when you don't let it run its course. You simply kick the can down the road.

You should check the scale on the left there.
Florida has the same population as Australia.
Ohio had more cases yesterday than the highest at any point in the Australia daily graph. Ohio had more deaths yesterday than the highest at any point in the Australia daily graph.

This is what those crybaby Aussies did in response:

You should check the scale on the left there.
Florida has the same population as Australia.
Ohio had more cases yesterday than the highest at any point in the Australia daily graph. Ohio had more deaths yesterday than the highest at any point in the Australia daily graph.

This is what those crybaby Aussies did in response:

Case count isn't really relevant. Other than in this case it correlates to the increase in deaths. The point is the exponential growth of their deaths, despite locking things down.

Case count isn't really relevant. Other than in this case it correlates to the increase in deaths. The point is the exponential growth of their deaths, despite locking things down.
So, we are supposed to take 13 deaths in one day as a high and 221 total deaths as a serious argument about not trying to mitigate this? You are serious about that? They are twice the population of Ohio and have 1 death to every 16 we have. That's exactly the can you want to kick down the road. Despite their lock downs, they are doing 16 times better than we are. That's not even being serious.

So, we are supposed to take 13 deaths in one day as a high and 221 total deaths as a serious argument about not trying to mitigate this? You are serious about that? They are twice the population of Ohio and have 1 death to every 16 we have. That's exactly the can you want to kick down the road. Despite their lock downs, they are doing 16 times better than we are. That's not even being serious.
The problem is that you are starting at a point where you think no one should die from this. Even the "bad" numbers are not that bad. Regardless, Ohio's situation is not dire by any measure. The normal path for any infection is for it to spike. If everyone huddles at home, our economy collapses, and we are way worse off. The cure being worse than the disease. Protect the most vulnerable, the rest of need to continue to live our lives. That is what is best for everyone as a whole. This is the last I will post on this here. It is really about football, and this belongs in the Debate forum.

No matter what controls you try to implement the virus is indeed going to run its course. It will either die out or continue to spread.