Trump Impeachment 2.0

Can somebody explain "impeachment as disenfranchisement of Trump voters" argument? I mean, he's not president regardless of the outcome of the impeachment trial.

Can somebody explain "impeachment as disenfranchisement of Trump voters" argument? I mean, he's not president regardless of the outcome of the impeachment trial.
I am hoping someone can explain to me why we are impeaching a private citizen first.

I haven't paid much attention to this, but Bruce Castor's frequent incoherent rambling today managed to get "Chewbacca defense" (a great South Park reference) trending. So there's that.

The bits I've seen of him from today make Rudy Giuliani look like Cicero.

I thought Trump's lawyers did a very good job today. Their arguments were compelling and based on logic.

I thought the Dems lawyers were decent. Their arguments seemed to be mostly emotional. It seems like they feel Trump did something wrong and they have the right to tell people that he was wrong. And it's not fair that he did something bad and they really need the opportunity to let everyone know how bad he is. They also don't trust the courts to properly punish him so it is up to them to punish Trump because they know he is bad.

The last 10 minutes by the Trump's lawyer summed it up the best. Impeachment is a political process for The President. The courts should handle any illegal activity by a former President.

I am hoping someone can explain to me why we are impeaching a private citizen first.

This is the trial, the impeachment already happened. There's a trial in the Senate for a private citizen for two reasons:

1) The Senate adjourned and would not reconvene to receive the Articles until post inauguration.
2) The trial is about actions taken while the private citizen was President.

It's moot since the Senate just voted it to be constitutional.

Impeachment is a political process for The President. The courts should handle any illegal activity by a former President.
Well, the Dems can't control the process or narrative if they did this in a criminal court.

This is the trial, the impeachment already happened. There's a trial in the Senate for a private citizen for two reasons:

1) The Senate adjourned and would not reconvene to receive the Articles until post inauguration.
2) The trial is about actions taken while the private citizen was President.

If it was "that important" then the Senate should have hung around.

It's political. Normal people see this.

Reactions: y2h
I don't believe the Senate has the authority to determine if anything is constitutional. That's why we have a Supreme Court. They just voted because they want to go forward with it and feel like they are entitled to make that decision.

I don't believe the Senate has the authority to determine if anything is constitutional. That's why we have a Supreme Court. They just voted because they want to go forward with it and feel like they are entitled to make that decision.

"the Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments"

The Senate controls the rules of any impeachment trial. Constitutionality is what they voted on today.

Sidebar - the Columbus Metro Library system opened up all branches yesterday, for the second time since the pandemic. I went to the main library downtown this afternoon. Talk about a ghost town - nothing but security guards every 50 feet watching to make sure you didn't lick the paperbacks or something similar.

So, I'm scanning the biographies section, and this huge glut of lurid and colorful hardbounds caught my eye - 3 or 4 rows of books on Trump just from a TDS perspective, separate from the normal biographies of him in the adjacent section. I just chuckled. Hating Trump pays pretty well.

Good grief...the fact that legitimate lawyers and firms ran from this case is amazing. His lawyers are basically Public Defenders hoping to get paid. The fact that one laid the case that Trump LOST the election does not bode well for him...He ain't getting paid.

Bad day for Team Trump. Lost a Louisiana Senator. OUCH!

The republican’s are not going to vote for any type of punishment for Trump. It’s laughable to think anything other than a handful of them would dare cross Trump.

By doing this Trump will face some type of sanction for his actions. He will be the only twice impeached president and be forced to defend himself. It’s not much but it’s a something.
Its nothing. But the left wasting time instead of implementing their agenda isnt all bad.

Explain the 10,000 Republicans who have left the Republican Party since the election in Arizona. If it’s happening there, it’s happening everywhere. Trump’s behavior since the election has been the final straw for a lot of people. He doesn’t have 75 million supporters any more.
You ever think those people left due to the actions of the Republicans?

It seems like trumps legal team is arguing he cannot be impeached because he is no longer in office while also arguing that he should be in office because the election was stolen so the violence (while not his fault) was justified.

Impeachment manager fleshes out case against Trump
https://www.axios.com/authors/kgoba/
Rep. Jamie Raskin is seen standing outside the Senate Chamber before House impeachment managers delivered their article against former President Trump.

Rep. Jamie Raskin as House managers delivered their impeachment article. Photo: Melina Mara/Pool/AFP via Getty Images
The Democrats' lead impeachment manager said Wednesday former President Trump's role in inciting the Capitol siege was the "worst presidential offense in the history of the republic," and the evidence against him is "airtight."
Why it matters: While Democrats say there is a direct cause and effect between Trump addressing a crowd of supporters that later broke into the Capitol on Jan. 6, some Republicans have fallen back on procedural defenses. The impeachment managers hope specific, graphic and voluminous evidence will create public pressure to convict the former president.
During a call Wednesday morning with the House Democratic caucus, lead impeachment manger Rep. Jamie Raskin detailed previously unreported injuries to Capitol Police officers, the damaging global view of the insurrection and tried to proactively puncture holes in the defense Trump will mount when his trial begins next week.
  • Raskin (D-Md.) told his colleagues one Capitol Police officer has lost three fingers and another is likely to lose an eye.
  • He said extremist elements in Russia and Germany view the storming of the Capitol as great victory for 21st century fascism.
What we're hearing: Raskin also told House Democrats the impeachment managers received an “embarrassingly thin” response from president’s counsel on Tuesday.
  • Trump's legal team argues he can't be convicted since the First Amendment protects his speech. They, along with some Republican senators, also argue a president can't be tried after leaving office.
Raskin said that argument has been “decisively rejected” by Senate, previously — most famously — in 1876 against the war secretary William Belknap.
  • “This moment was totally foreseen by the framers of the Constitution," Raskin said on the caucus call.
  • "Trump may not know anything about the Founders, but they knew a lot about the likes of him," he added.
The bottom line: Raskin summarized the impeachment managers' argument by saying, "This wasn’t shouting fire in a crowded theater; this was the fire chief sending a mob to the theater."
Is that like the airtight evidence Russia stole the 2016 election?

There is no direct cause and effect. What happened at the Capitol was preplanned, not based on the speech. And they didnt later break into the Capitol, it happened while he was speaking which did not occur at the Capitol.

Bad day for trump and the GOP....defending the indefensible while ignoring the basics of the Constitution. The GOP is an embarrassment.....a handful have courage but most just ducking head in sand and hoping this passes us by.

Just watch the video...
"
"

Is that like the airtight evidence Russia stole the 2016 election?

There is no direct cause and effect. What happened at the Capitol was preplanned, not based on the speech. And they didnt later break into the Capitol, it happened while he was speaking which did not occur at the Capitol.
Trump had been setting the stage for the assault on the Capitol for months before it happened with his incendiary claims and language about a stolen election and his sympathetic comments about groups like Proud Boys and Qanon

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
First. Biden is only a few weeks in to his 1/2 term and he is looking pretty awful. Give him a chance to be the worst.

Second. If trump broke the law try him in an actual court not your kangaroo version in the senate. I would support that. But pulling this stunt now is just pure politics. Smart people know this. I can see how you got confused though.

Third. Trump moved out of the white house. Try letting him move out of that melon of yours.
By Bidens own standard hes a dictator...I'd say that's pretty bad.

Bad day for trump and the GOP....defending the indefensible while ignoring the basics of the Constitution. The GOP is an embarrassment.....a handful have courage but most just ducking head in sand and hoping this passes us by.

Just watch the video...
"
"
Everyday is a bad day for you, because Trump is shortning your life, with the stress on you

Everyday is a bad day for you, because Trump is shortning your life, with the stress on you

Trumps MAGA attacked our capitol with trump banners and flags. defending the indefensible. THE LOWEST DAY OF OUR DEMOCRACY in my life...by a long shot. Makes Watergate look like a joke. No Case No Defense....even GOP is jumping ship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trumps MAGA attacked our capitol with trump banners and flags. defending the indefensible. THE LOWEST DAY OF OUR DEMOCRACY in my life...by a long shot. Makes Watergate look like a joke. No Case No Defense....even GOP is jumping ship.
Check your blood pressure, it is going up

You know that anyone can carry a Trump banner and flag.

One of the most odious tactics of the left in their attempts to destroy the Tea Party was to send goons to infiltrate the TP rally's wearing all sorts of noxious signage. It became a joke as some low life Antifa wannabe would show up in a shirt with racist messaging carrying around a confederate flag. The Tea Party folks would surround the guy and chant "FAKE" at him until he left.

Throughout history propagandists have relied on useful idiots to fall for their deceit. Just like when at the start of WW2 the Nazis had fake Polish solders attack German border outposts hours before the Nazi invasion. I sense something similar here.

"the Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments"

The Senate controls the rules of any impeachment trial. Constitutionality is what they voted on today.
So we can impeach Obama? And FDR? And Wilson?

Awesome.

That is just not remotely true...there were some nutjobs that are just anarchysts, but majority were trump supporters wearing trump gear and they are testifying in court docs that trump summoned them to capitol to stop the steal.

By far most of the people there were Trump supporters wearing Trump gear. However most of the damage was done by Antifa and BLM wearing Trump gear, it is on hundreds of videos and many have been identified and videoed wearing Trump gear and breaking in ect. Many of these videos show the Trump supporters stopping these rioters/insurrectionist. many have been identified like John Sullivan, Jade Saker. this is all on tape and you can see groups of 5 to 25 or so working with them most of them are wearing complete mask but when you see large groups working together you know they are on the same team...the same anti Trump violent murderous bastards we watched all summer.

Just one of these hundreds of videos.
https://rumble.com/vcuix9-more-footage-proving-antifa-broke-into-capitol-building.html