SW Ohio Early Front Runners

Bellbrook 2
Oakwood 2

Monroe moves to top of SWBL....and if they win out will win league and may secure top seed in Dayton District.

In the big SWBL showdown....and perhaps D-2 supremacy in SW Ohio.....Monroe and Oakwood tied again at 1 a piece. Both have the quality and resume to be a prime factor in the tournament.....but since both play in the same district.....only one will advance to regionals.
I think the word "supremacy" seems a little much :) Both teams seem to be great teams but I think discounting Wyoming and Summit Country Day seems a little premature. Both of those teams appear to have a much tougher schedule. Wyoming beat them (Summit) head to head but Summit has been hot lately and may be the team to beat. Both Summit (4 of last 5 state championships) and Wyoming (beat Monroe in tourney last year) have made much deeper runs over the last 5-10 years than both Monroe and Oakwood. Tournament time should be fun for all of these schools and defending state champs Tipp City.

I think the word "supremacy" seems a little much :) Both teams seem to be great teams but I think discounting Wyoming and Summit Country Day seems a little premature. Both of those teams appear to have a much tougher schedule. Wyoming beat them (Summit) head to head but Summit has been hot lately and may be the team to beat. Both Summit (4 of last 5 state championships) and Wyoming (beat Monroe in tourney last year) have made much deeper runs over the last 5-10 years than both Monroe and Oakwood. Tournament time should be fun for all of these schools and defending state champs Tipp City.
I said "perhaps"....not they were. Based on "This Year's Results" Alter beat Wyoming 1-0.....Monroe beat Alter 5 to 2. The two ties with Oakwood are the only blemish on Monroe's record. Also Oakwood beat D-1 Carroll 3-0......Carroll crushed Alter 6-2. Wyoming beat Summit. While I agree one cannot put total faith in comparative scores.....based on this year's results....I maintain....Oakwood and Monroe are "perhaps" favorites in the Soutwest Region. Oh....Oakwood plays at Mariemont tomorrow (Oct 3). Mariemont beat Wyoming and is ranked first in the state in D-3....so that game may give us more clues as to what may lie ahead.

I said "perhaps"....not they were. Based on "This Year's Results" Alter beat Wyoming 1-0.....Monroe beat Alter 5 to 2. The two ties with Oakwood are the only blemish on Monroe's record. Also Oakwood beat D-1 Carroll 3-0......Carroll crushed Alter 6-2. Wyoming beat Summit. While I agree one cannot put total faith in comparative scores.....based on this year's results....I maintain....Oakwood and Monroe are "perhaps" favorites in the Soutwest Region. Oh....Oakwood plays at Mariemont tomorrow (Oct 3). Mariemont beat Wyoming and is ranked first in the state in D-3....so that game may give us more clues as to what may lie ahead.

I get your point and yes the comparing of scores isn't exactly a great measuring stick. I could easily use that as to why Wyoming is better than Monroe using another set of scores. I was just calling attention more to the whole picture. Looking at strength of schedule and history/experience can go along way come tourney time. A great record is awesome but being battle tested with a couple extra losses may help more. Monroe has a great record but the schedule doesn't really compare to that of Summit. Wyoming and Summit's teams just appear to be more battle tested based on "this year's results." It wasn't meant to be a disagreement, just looking at history and that record often doesn't paint the picture of a true regional champ. I hope they all make great runs and are playing each other at some point.

Also, yes, that Oakwood/Mariemont game should be a fun one. I wish it were last year where I could just show up and watch. I can't keep track of the rules at all of the school. The live streams have been fun when I can watch those. Have a great day!

Tough loss for TC to LC. I did not think this would be the direction of the team this year. But, they are very young. Growing pains.
LC is good and played better than TC last night. TC is still one of the better teams in the area and state when they are clicking. Need consistency though.

LC is good and played better than TC last night. TC is still one of the better teams in the area and state when they are clicking. Need consistency though.
Did not know LC was good this year. Makes me feel better about things. Thanks.

@winbypin , what were some of the areas that LC was able to exploit TC? Surprised they were able to score 3 goals as TC has two backend seniors that probably can play in college.

Last edited:
Did not know LC was good this year. Makes me feel better about things. Thanks.

@winbypin , what were some of the areas that LC was able to exploit TC? Surprised they were able to score 3 goals as TC has two backend seniors that probably can play in college.
Not sure really. I probably wouldn't post areas to exploit on here anyway. ? TC seemed a little flat. LC was really up for the game. Hats off to them. TC has a tough schedule almost every game. I would think it's tough to have that same energy each game. Not saying it's the case here but I could see them looking past a team at times when it's in between two state ranked opponents.

I get your point and yes the comparing of scores isn't exactly a great measuring stick. I could easily use that as to why Wyoming is better than Monroe using another set of scores. I was just calling attention more to the whole picture. Looking at strength of schedule and history/experience can go along way come tourney time. A great record is awesome but being battle tested with a couple extra losses may help more. Monroe has a great record but the schedule doesn't really compare to that of Summit. Wyoming and Summit's teams just appear to be more battle tested based on "this year's results." It wasn't meant to be a disagreement, just looking at history and that record often doesn't paint the picture of a true regional champ. I hope they all make great runs and are playing each other at some point.
Hey....all in good fun! I thought before the season began that Monroe would be the team to beat as they return virtually every starter from last year's team that lost to Wyoming by a goal in the regionals. In Ben Griffis...they have a difference maker in big games. I would say it will be fun to watch...but being relegated to bad streaming sources....its been a frustrating season for those of us who are just fans. I am hoping that common sense will hold sway at tournament time and they will allow we commoners to buy an actual ticket and attend.

Mariemont 1 Oakwood 0

Wandered down and watched this game from the fence. (Interestingly, I am not sure anyone was even taking tickets). Intense and physical game. Felt like a District or Regional game. Mariemont sored early on a nice individual effort by Brothers who beat the keeper far post, but hit the post and #11 for Mariemont knocked it in. The next 20 or 25 minutes was all Oakwood as they controlled the possession and had a couple of good looks. Mariemont keeper made a nice save on a break away and then tipped one just over the bar that looked to be going upper 90.
Second half was fairly even. Both teams had some decent chances. Oakwood awarded a PK with about 10 minutes to go but hit the post on the PK. Mariemont bunkered in for the last 10 minutes to preserve the victory.

Two really solid teams that don't have any obvious holes. I thought Oakwood had the better midfield and Goeller and #10 are really fun players to watch. Mariemont may be a bit more athletic and fast. The Brothers kid for Mariemont is the real deal. Second or third time I have seen him since he started playing and he has to be one of the best players in Ohio regardless of division. Good luck to both teams.

Mariemont now 13-0-0 with some great wins over top DII teams in the Cincinnati and Dayton area. You’ve got to believe they are the favorites for the DIII title. Bluffton and Mariemont seem to be on a crash course! Both will likely remain undefeated.

Oakwood went 0-1-2 in their week where they saw Monroe, Bellbrook, and Mariemont. There is no doubt they will be battle tested by the time the tournament comes around!

Is St X healthy?
They were missing their center defender today out on concussion protocol. On a similar note, best wishes to the young man taken out with a head injury during the JV match up between St. X and St. Ignatius. We're hoping for a full and speedy recovery.

It definitely showed. I thought St I was the better team, but missing a starting center back can be disruptive to a defensive unit.