St Ignatius Football 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to assume that Byers will be available to host Friday’s game with Mentor? I don’t think any of the Parma schools are hosting a playoff gave.

Is it safe to assume that Byers will be available to host Friday’s game with Mentor? I don’t think any of the Parma schools are hosting a playoff gave.
Well, that is, if Cats win the current game......but yes, nobody else would be playing there

Wonder what the school’s game record is for takeaways/turnovers.
Don't know if there were any recovered fumbles, but I saw Brian Dowling make five interceptions in a game against Lincoln. Bit of trivia, who holds the state record for most interceptions in a year? Dowling of course with 19 in nine games, oldest record the state keeps, has stood for 56 years.

Don't know if there were any recovered fumbles, but I saw Brian Dowling make five interceptions in a game against Lincoln. Bit of trivia, who holds the state record for most interceptions in a year? Dowling of course with 19 in nine games, oldest record the state keeps, has stood for 56 years.
According to OHSAA’s website, Jim Groff of Versailles holds the state record with 20 interceptions in the 1965 season. It also shows that he broke Brian Dowling’s record of 16 interceptions set the year before. And, Dowling’s name is not on the list of most interceptions in a game (5 minimum). None of this is to diminish his accomplishments, as he was absolutely a dominating force on the gridiron!

I was there in person to see all 19 of them and the five in a game against Lincoln. So whom should I believe, my own eyes or the questionable record keeping of OSHAA?

Help an old man out. I came on to the broadcast a little, but who was the QB that was hitting on those long TDs? He couldn't have been Pfaff, right?

Dale Gabor ’66, long-time teacher and AD at St. Ignatius passed away last evening.

A true “Man for Others”, Dale was so instrumental in building the St. Ignatius athletics program to where it stands today – 16 varsity sports, 41 teams, over a 1,000 young men participating in one or more sports, and success in all its sports programs. Plus, he was great teacher. Dale always did things “the right way”. Dale – RIP. A.M.D.G.

Beautiful tribute to Dale:

When Gabor retired as Athletic Director in 2008, he told The Plain Dealer that he was often asked what he was most proud of. His answer spoke volumes about his values and his leadership.

“I really mean this. I couldn't be more sincere,” he said. “We won, and we did it the right way. We never sacrificed our principles. We never made sports bigger than life. That's what I'm most proud of.”

What a legend, in so many ways. Hits home as I was at Wildcat high in the prime of the sports success, and he enjoyed it so much, but kept it all in perspective. Lucky enough to have had Mr. Gabor as a teacher as well. It feels like the hits keep.on coming lately, I guess that is part of growing old

Next up : Stow.

Consider this one. It's slightly more entertaining then listening to Matt Foley Motivational Speaker yelling1st down........although that is entertaining the 1st couple times you hear it. Good Luck.

Literally have no idea on Stow game. If cats play like 3Q tonight, I like my chances, and probably don't need that much.

Ignatius wins easily… Stow is extremely One dimensional.
How so? I don’t think most of us know much about Stow. This may be the first time that the two schools have ever met on the gridiron. If they can pass the football, I would be be picking apart that 4th quarter film. That was the worst the Cats defense looked all year.

You don’t know this but Stow767 breaks down over 350 High School game films a week. He has ears/eyes inside EVERY program.

Literally have no idea on Stow game. If cats play like 3Q tonight, I like my chances, and probably don't need that much.
Stow has lost their BG commit QB, no idea if he's scheduled to be back. IMO they've played their best football post injury. Big physical line, really good FB and RB. I do think they'll have success running the football. It should be a good physical football game.

Stow is doing a great job in the run game…need to PAP to compliment what they are already doing With run game….Iggy will load up versus the run.And yes,Stow has figured out what they do well..Gregory has been a big impact with their offense.

Beautiful tribute to Dale:

When Gabor retired as Athletic Director in 2008, he told The Plain Dealer that he was often asked what he was most proud of. His answer spoke volumes about his values and his leadership.

“I really mean this. I couldn't be more sincere,” he said. “We won, and we did it the right way. We never sacrificed our principles. We never made sports bigger than life. That's what I'm most proud of.”
Not that it was particularly hard to see coming, but Dale (and Chuck, too, for sure) saw in 1995 what high school sports have evolved into over the last 20 years. As this quote suggests, he led the resistance to becoming a national program in ways that would've materially changed the school's identity. I can imagine the temptation was strong, and I'm glad at where they drew the lines.

How so? I don’t think most of us know much about Stow. This may be the first time that the two schools have ever met on the gridiron. If they can pass the football, I would be be picking apart that 4th quarter film. That was the worst the Cats defense looked all year

Ignatius defeated Stow in the 2nd round of the 1988 playoffs: 35 - 8

Status
Not open for further replies.