Regular season matchups you'd like to see!

No allegiance to Marion Local; just going off what I've seen. I wasn't alive yet in 1970, so I can't comment on that; while "150" sounds hyperbolic, a solid pasting seems possible. The Massillon of this year would beat Marion Local, pulling away in the fourth quarter. 1998 Massillon was hot garbage; 2023 Marion Local would absolutely take them to the woodshed, akin to last night's Chargers-Raiders game.

And yes, today's Marion Local is undoubtedly the greatest dynasty in Ohio high school football history, because they have the in-game results to back it up. If Massillon wins another dozen in the next 20 years, then they can join the conversation. You could argue Mount Union might be the best dynasty in college football history; sure, 80+% of D-1 would beat them, but it doesn't make their accolades any less impressive.
St Ed's is the greatest dynasty in Ohio High School football history right now.

I mean it's called "my list" for a reason so I don't care about your opinion tbh. The topic of the thread was regular season matchups you would like to see so I simply posted my list and I didn't need your two cents. 95% of the matchups that people have posted on here will likely never happen but everybody is allowed to have dream matchups or teams they like to see.....
Your right. I thought the list was asking for games you’d like to see because they would be good solid competitive games. But it is your list.

If Massillon and Marion local played this year Massillon wins 49-0. What in the hell makes you think we will pull away late in the 4th quarter when we was able to hold Akron Hoban to 2 points but yet ML is gonna play better than Hoban? Like I stated before I have a tremendous amount of respect for Marion local and what they do but some of y'all need a dose of reality they are not going to hang with anybody in the top two divisions. I guarantee you Marion local doesn't beat the D1 final 4 teams or D2 final 4 teams. They are not ready for that
High school isn't like college where the division that a program is in is reflective of the talent they have on the field. A division a school is in is based off of enrollment numbers, and little else. Enrollment numbers and the quality of players in the program are almost mutually exclusive; it's where the "hoser" line of thinking falls apart. Just because a school has a lot of bodies in it doesn't necessarily mean they're good or well-coached football players.

Take my alma mater, Walsh Jesuit, for example. They were the #2 seed in Region 5, with their only two losses being to Hoban in running-clocks. Having watched those games and Marion Local, I'm confident ML would curb-stomp Walsh. In fact, I think Marion Local beats ANY team that didn't make it past week 13, including D1 and D2. They absolutely would be ready to take on the Avon's and Massillon's of the world; honest prediction, Massillon would beat Marion Local by about 17-21 points.

Last edited:
High school isn't like college where the division that a program is in is reflective of the talent they have on the field. A division a school is in is based off of enrollment numbers, and little else. Enrollment numbers and the quality of players in the program are almost mutually exclusive; it's where the "hoser" line of thinking falls apart. Just because a school has a lot of bodies in it doesn't necessarily mean they're good or well-coached football players.

Take my alma mater, Walsh Jesuit, for example. They were the #2 seed in Region 5, with their only two losses being to Hoban in running-clocks. Having watched those games and Marion Local, I'm confident ML would curb-stomp Walsh. In fact, I think Marion Local beats ANY team that didn't make it past week 13, including D1 and D2. They absolutely would be ready to take on the Avon's and Massillon's of the world; honest prediction, Massillon would beat Marion Local by about 17-21 points.
You think ML beats Winton Woods? Seriously

I have another question for you. So if Marion local is this confident that they are that good and on the level of the big schools in the state of Ohio question one is why have they not scheduled any of the powers in D1 or D2? Question number two is Marion local is on a tear right now and it is impressive but why not play teams from out of state to get the kids the recognition that they deserve not only in the state of Ohio but in the country? Because not everyone in the state even knows who they are unless you are a hardcore Ohio high school football fan.

I have another question for you. So if Marion local is this confident that they are that good and on the level of the big schools in the state of Ohio question one is why have they not scheduled any of the powers in D1 or D2? Question number two is Marion local is on a tear right now and it is impressive but not play teams from out of state to get the kids the recognition that they deserve not only in the state of Ohio but in the country?
I see your line of thinking, but I believe it's more of the bigger guys not wanting to play ML than ML not scheduling up (also, 8 weeks are accounted for by their MAC schedule, so limitations are there from the jump). Honestly, if you're a decent D1 or D2, particularly if you have a lot of league commitments, why would you schedule a Marion Local? You risk a (likely) loss, but even if you do win, the Harbins from a D7 running the table may not be as rewarding as scheduling a (for example) solid, but not great, Cleveland Senate team that'll be 5-5 or 6-4. The system is FAR from perfect, and for now, the incentive isn't there for D1/D2 to play teams like ML. (FWIW, D1 Northmont, in 1997 and 1998, played D5 (and current ML MAC rival) Versailles and got shutout both times).

As for your second point, that is where being a bigger school in a bigger market, and the associated media coverage is an advantage. Let's face it, Mercer County isn't a media hotbed. The Glenville, Massillon, Ed's, Ignatius, and GCL types can schedule nationally because those are the size of programs that get the national media coverage; and it's why those kids tend to get the good college looks, fair or not. For as good as ML is, there probably aren't very many teams with their enrollment level that they could play nationally that have that kind of track record, and those that do are probably hard to find, because of the lack of press coverage.

And as a straight-up prognostication, I think ML would match up well with Winton Woods. In a hypothetical 7-game series (which would never happen in football), it goes 7.

I see your line of thinking, but I believe it's more of the bigger guys not wanting to play ML than ML not scheduling up (also, 8 weeks are accounted for by their MAC schedule, so limitations are there from the jump). Honestly, if you're a decent D1 or D2, particularly if you have a lot of league commitments, why would you schedule a Marion Local? You risk a (likely) loss, but even if you do win, the Harbins from a D7 running the table may not be as rewarding as scheduling a (for example) solid, but not great, Cleveland Senate team that'll be 5-5 or 6-4. The system is FAR from perfect, and for now, the incentive isn't there for D1/D2 to play teams like ML. (FWIW, D1 Northmont, in 1997 and 1998, played D5 (and current ML MAC rival) Versailles and got shutout both times).

As for your second point, that is where being a bigger school in a bigger market, and the associated media coverage is an advantage. Let's face it, Mercer County isn't a media hotbed. The Glenville, Massillon, Ed's, Ignatius, and GCL types can schedule nationally because those are the size of programs that get the national media coverage; and it's why those kids tend to get the good college looks, fair or not. For as good as ML is, there probably aren't very many teams with their enrollment level that they could play nationally that have that kind of track record, and those that do are probably hard to find, because of the lack of press coverage.

And as a straight-up prognostication, I think ML would match up well with Winton Woods. In a hypothetical 7-game series (which would never happen in football), it goes 7.
Avon was looking for a non-league game a few years ago and it seemed everyone was booked. They were getting worried they might not get a game and Marion Local was having the same issue. They talked seriously, but both wound up with games against someone else so it never happened. For a couple weeks, though, it looked like it was going to happen. Would have been fun.

I have another question for you. So if Marion local is this confident that they are that good and on the level of the big schools in the state of Ohio question one is why have they not scheduled any of the powers in D1 or D2? Question number two is Marion local is on a tear right now and it is impressive but why not play teams from out of state to get the kids the recognition that they deserve not only in the state of Ohio but in the country? Because not everyone in the state even knows who they are unless you are a hardcore Ohio high school football fan.
Our continued interactions with that guy is the equivalent of giving a crackhead money when you see him on the street.

Avon was looking for a non-league game a few years ago and it seemed everyone was booked. They were getting worried they might not get a game and Marion Local was having the same issue. They talked seriously, but both wound up with games against someone else so it never happened. For a couple weeks, though, it looked like it was going to happen. Would have been fun.
Avon vs. Massillon is the game that needs to be played. (IMHO).

I would love to to see Beechwood(NKY) 17 State Titles play Marion Local 14 State Titles in a regular season game. Two of the best small public school teams going head to head would be fun to watch.
Highlands(NKY) vs Anderson
Scott County High school(KY) vs Edgewood 2 of the best Wing-t teams going head to head
Male High School(KY) vs Winton Woods Public School powers from border states

Consider the source ⬆️…. This is the same guy who said Hoban would beat Massillon by multiple scores. 😂😂😂
🐅🏆

Coldwater vs Celina
Coldwater vs Van Wert
Coldwater vs Bishop Luers
Coldwater vs Tippecanoe
Coldwater vs Piqua

Marion Local vs Indianpolis Lutheran
Marion Local vs Liberty Center

Parkway vs South Adams
Parkway vs Adams Central

Fort Recovery vs Jay County (Needs to be yearly)
Would love to see Coldwater/Celina revived. Any of those Indiana matchups have been difficult in years past because Indiana historically started 1 week before Ohio, but with the expanded playoffs we now start the same week, it would be easier now to schedule.

I would like to see Crestview play Delphos St John’s. They have never played or scrimmaged. Granted, Crestview’s second go round with football started during DSJ’s win streak, so it was a no early on. Crestview/DSJ basketball is fierce and competitive, would love to see that on the gridiron. Almost saw it realized with the potential league movement. Hopefully in a few years!

Why do you feel ML would hang?

Upper Arlington vs Granville
a Pickerington school vs Tri Valley
New Albany vs Licking Valley
Bloom Carroll vs Granville
West Jefferson vs Sheridan

Upper Arlington vs Granville
a Pickerington school vs Tri Valley
New Albany vs Licking Valley
Bloom Carroll vs Granville
West Jefferson vs Sheridan

Some good Central Ohio big school vs small school matchups. I’m curious why you chose the UA-Granville, I would think that would be a tough one for Granville. The talent that Bloom Carroll has had over the last two years perhaps they could to hang with UA. A BC vs Lancaster would be a good one but maybe not for the Gales! Licking Valley could surprise New Albany, that could be a good one. A Pickerington school vs Tri Valley would be extremely difficult. I believe Harvest Prep is playing Pick Central this year. Harvest Prep appears to be the up & coming destination place, the Brookhaven of its time.

In 2025 I believe West Jefferson has Newark Catholic and Amanda Clearcreek as their two non league games, two storied programs with about a combined 10 State Titles to their resume. A Sheridan-WJ matchup would be a good one. Sheridan seems like they are always 8-2, 9-1 or 10-0 every year.

Some good Central Ohio big school vs small school matchups. I’m curious why you chose the UA-Granville, I would think that would be a tough one for Granville. The talent that Bloom Carroll has had over the last two years perhaps they could to hang with UA. A BC vs Lancaster would be a good one but maybe not for the Gales! Licking Valley could surprise New Albany, that could be a good one. A Pickerington school vs Tri Valley would be extremely difficult. I believe Harvest Prep is playing Pick Central this year. Harvest Prep appears to be the up & coming destination place, the Brookhaven of its time.

In 2025 I believe West Jefferson has Newark Catholic and Amanda Clearcreek as their two non league games, two storied programs with about a combined 10 State Titles to their resume. A Sheridan-WJ matchup would be a good one. Sheridan seems like they are always 8-2, 9-1 or 10-0 every year.
Those smaller Licking/Muskingum County schools may not win, but I do think they would be more competetive than some might think, and everyone loves an underdog.