Regular season matchups you'd like to see!

Aliquippa vs Steubenville

With only 30 miles separating these two storied programs, I’m shocked that they have never played one another (at least they have not since 1972).

So, is one ducking the other? Are they not willing to do a home & home series? Perhaps a neutral field site, say a Hines Field in Pittsburgh? This should have been played a long, long time ago.

With only 30 miles separating these two storied programs, I’m shocked that they have never played one another (at least they have not since 1972).

So, is one ducking the other? Are they not willing to do a home & home series? Perhaps a neutral field site, say a Hines Field in Pittsburgh? This should have been played a long, long time ago.
If that Big Red team is anything like to one that lost to Alter they would get smoked.

There are some Stark County vs. Mahoning Valley games I like to see happen more often:
Alliance vs Chaney or Struthers
Harding vs. GO or Jackson
Lake vs Canfield
McKinley vs Ursuline
Louisville vs. Boardman
Canton South vs. Poland
South Range vs. Perry
CCC vs Mooney
Fitch vs NC

Hudson - Walsh or Hudson - St. V-M regular season matchup. Ditto Stow and these 2 teams, altho not as compelling a matchup these days with Stow's program being down. Austintown Fitch would be a great game, as would WGH but they've been on the schedule in recent years.

Last edited:
There are some Stark County vs. Mahoning Valley games I like to see happen more often:
Lake vs Canfield
McKinley vs Ursuline
Louisville vs. Boardman
Canton South vs. Poland
South Range vs. Perry
CCC vs Mooney
Fitch vs NC
Would love to see Louisville-Boardman. Would be a great regularly scheduled series. We seem to be playing regularly in a lot of other sports maybe eventually.

With Warren G. Harding's latest coaching change, I'd like to see the program built up to (eventually) play this schedule down the road...
( away games based off of this year's schedule)

Week 1: @ Canton McKinley
- 2024 W1 & old rival. Should be very good moving forward.
Week 2: Archbishop Hoban
-Coach Richardson & Tyrrell were teammates at YSU. Would love to see the Knights added down the road.
Week 3: @ Steubenville
-Always wanted to see a game down there!
Week 4: Lakewood St. Edward
-Been a long time, but I'd love to see the classic matchups return!
Week 5: Youngstown Ursuline
-Current W6 & traditional rival. Reardon has the Irish clicking!
Week 6: @ Solon
-New W5 addition for 2024. Scrimmaged for a good 20 years straight & always made sense to get them on the schedule.
Week 7: @ Boardman
-Current W7 & traditional rival. I'm hopeful that their program continues to acsend back to old form.
Week 8: Youngstown Cardinal Mooney
-Current W8 & traditional rival. Seems to be headed back in the right direction.
Week 9: Massillon Washington
-Current W9 & old rival. The Tigers are hotter than ever right now.
Week 10: @ Austintown Fitch
-Current W10 & traditional rival. Coach Parker has done some nice things at Fitch.

There should NEVER be a Harding schedule wthout McKinley, Ursuline, Boardman, Mooney, Massillon, and Fitch all on it. Now, some might think, "Harding isn't ready for Hoban &/or Eds," even though we already play Massillon every year. However, the goal of every program should be to be able to compete with the absolute best. Yes, there's a ways to go in Warren, but one thing that I can promise everybody is that Coach Richardson didn't depart Hoban for the Harding job just to settle. There's plenty of work that needs to be done and I'm beyond excited to the change of mentality that's about to take place here in Warren.

I would love to to see Beechwood(NKY) 17 State Titles play Marion Local 14 State Titles in a regular season game. Two of the best small public school teams going head to head would be fun to watch.
Highlands(NKY) vs Anderson
Scott County High school(KY) vs Edgewood 2 of the best Wing-t teams going head to head
Male High School(KY) vs Winton Woods Public School powers from border states
I really like those match ups a great deal

With Warren G. Harding's latest coaching change, I'd like to see the program built up to (eventually) play this schedule down the road...
( away games based off of this year's schedule)

Week 1: @ Canton McKinley
- 2024 W1 & old rival. Should be very good moving forward.
Week 2: Archbishop Hoban
-Coach Richardson & Tyrrell were teammates at YSU. Would love to see the Knights added down the road.
Week 3: @ Steubenville
-Always wanted to see a game down there!
Week 4: Lakewood St. Edward
-Been a long time, but I'd love to see the classic matchups return!
Week 5: Youngstown Ursuline
-Current W6 & traditional rival. Reardon has the Irish clicking!
Week 6: @ Solon
-New W5 addition for 2024. Scrimmaged for a good 20 years straight & always made sense to get them on the schedule.
Week 7: @ Boardman
-Current W7 & traditional rival. I'm hopeful that their program continues to acsend back to old form.
Week 8: Youngstown Cardinal Mooney
-Current W8 & traditional rival. Seems to be headed back in the right direction.
Week 9: Massillon Washington
-Current W9 & old rival. The Tigers are hotter than ever right now.
Week 10: @ Austintown Fitch
-Current W10 & traditional rival. Coach Parker has done some nice things at Fitch.

There should NEVER be a Harding schedule wthout McKinley, Ursuline, Boardman, Mooney, Massillon, and Fitch all on it. Now, some might think, "Harding isn't ready for Hoban &/or Eds," even though we already play Massillon every year. However, the goal of every program should be to be able to compete with the absolute best. Yes, there's a ways to go in Warren, but one thing that I can promise everybody is that Coach Richardson didn't depart Hoban for the Harding job just to settle. There's plenty of work that needs to be done and I'm beyond excited to the change of mentality that's about to take place here in Warren.
I liked the Harding vs SVSM series, but would like the Raiders to also play a few Federal teams other then McKinley.

I liked the Harding vs SVSM series, but would like the Raiders to also play a few Federal teams other then McKinley.

Here's Harding's schedule for this fall...

08/23/2024- @ Canton McKinley
08/30/2024- Akron Buchtel
09/06/2024- @ Massillon Perry
09/13/2024- Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary
09/20/2024- Youngstown Ursuline
09/27/2024- @ Solon
10/04/2024- @ Boardman
10/11/2024- Youngstown Cardinal Mooney
10/18/2024- Massillon Washington
10/25/2024- @ Austintown Fitch

The schedule is solid for where Harding is currently at and either way, SVSM is a nice opponent. However, if given the opportunity, I'd love to see Hoban, Eds, and/or Big Red added. Heck, I've been wanting to go back to The Pit for another game against Cincinnati Elder for years now, but everything was so much different back then (not just the football aspect).

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing the program progress to the level it needs to be at. The sooner that happens, the more likely it'd be for our schedule to be strengthened even more.

I'd like to see a few games between some of the major powers of Ohio play against nationally ranked teams like IMG, Bishop Gorman, Mater Dei, or Don Bosco.

Lake vs Canfield
McKinley vs Ursuline
Louisville vs. Boardman
Canton South vs. Poland
South Range vs. Perry
CCC vs Mooney
Fitch vs NC
St. Thomas vs Sebring!

I'd like to see a few games between some of the major powers of Ohio play against nationally ranked teams like IMG, Bishop Gorman, Mater Dei, or Don Bosco.

The Associate AD of IMG grew up with me in Warren. He's always open to games vs. Ohio teams.

They played 1 time in the last 125 years with The Quips winning.

For most classifications the WPIAL sets 8-9 games between section games and some planned crossovers between sections in same class. So Aliquippa may have 1-2 games to actually pick who they play. Makes it hard if you have a few local rivals not in your section/class. A lot of good old western pa rivalries are no longer played due to wpial dictating schedules. Probably makes an AD’d job a breeze though.

Big Red would hang with Aliquippa. You have to remember Aliquippa is still only the enrollment equivalent of a D6 school. They’ve been state champ/runner-up in D3 equivalent, but so has Big Red.

They’ve got some great talent but it’s still a relatively small roster when you only have 40-50 boys per grade in the HS. And nearly all those kids grew up in Aliquippa and came up through their feeder program. Honestly it’s remarkable a non-private school can do what they’ve done at their size.

Per Calpreps.com the projected scores of an Aliquippa - Steubenville game between 2003 to 2023 has Steubenville with a 11-10 edge. By year:
2023 A 42-22
2022 A 34-21
2021 A 42-21
2020 A 40-21
2019 S 31-30
2018 A 31-26
2017 A 22-20
2016 S 31-26
2015 S 38-21
2014 A 35-21
2013 A 42-14
2012 A 34-8
2011 S 27-21
2010 S 21-17
2009 S 28-20
2008 S 31-20
2007 S 35-21
2006 S 38-14
2005 S 35-7
2004 S 27-26
2003 A 26-24

Big Red would hang with Aliquippa. You have to remember Aliquippa is still only the enrollment equivalent of a D6 school. They’ve been state champ/runner-up in D3 equivalent, but so has Big Red.

They’ve got some great talent but it’s still a relatively small roster when you only have 40-50 boys per grade in the HS. And nearly all those kids grew up in Aliquippa and came up through their feeder program. Honestly it’s remarkable a non-private school can do what they’ve done at their size.
Didn't they recently lose their appeal, arguing they didn't have 23 transfers on their roster? Now those 23 will boost their CB number and move them up to 5A.

Based on their schedule, it would most likely be a decent game, but their elite players would give them an advantage, particularly the three D1 recruits who just announced that they would be transferring to AHS. The new Quips remind me of the post-Corona Ginn Academy.