Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Struthers by 1-8

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Struthers by 9-16

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Struthers by 17+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Canton South coach has a known reputation of choking away big, winnable games with questionable decisions. I believe his QB will carry him over the hump in this one. Best of luck Canton South.

I don't think any of the CS posters are sleeping on Struthers. The coaches and players surely aren't. They know how big of a challenge Struthers presents with that three-headed ground machine and physical defense. South has had a chip on their shoulders all playoffs and they know going 10-0 in the regular season and being the #1 seed doesn't mean a thing to whoever they play in the playoffs. They know they have to earn it again this week against a great team. They also know they may have underestimated Jefferson Area last year and were looking ahead to a potential matchup with Branch. I think that lesson serves them well this year - no chance they are overlooking Struthers.

I never prefer the rain, but I can see Satoshi's angle here. From the film I've seen (Lake Catholic and South Range), it seems as if Struthers can put the ball on the turf. Maybe the rain helps force a couple Struthers fumbles. Plus, South is way more balanced than people realize when it comes to run-pass ratio. Actually, they are about 55% run over the course of the season (averaging around 220 on the ground and 250 through the air per game on the season). Poochie is over 1300 on the ground and Rome Cox is just under 1000. Like I said, I prefer no rain and clear skies, but as long as it's not a monsoon I think South will still be capable of throwing. They are not playing on grass so you don't have to worry about throwing and catching a muddy ball. Either way, it will be interesting to see how Struthers defends Poochie and the passing game - do they bring pressure and take their chances in man coverage? Or drop 7 and give Poochie time to sit in the pocket and create.

It will be instrumental for South to get ahead on the scoreboard and with possessions. They've taken the wind out of teams this year by scoring before halftime and then again to start the second half. If a team gets down against South, it's very tough to make up ground with their efficient offense. South did a great job of getting ahead against Branch and sucking the life out of the game clock and never let Branch's high powered offense make a run. That has been a huge evolution of the offense in the Dennison-Poochie 3-year run. They've always had the capability to make big plays, but now they are showing the discipline to take what the defense gives, move the chains, and have efficient 10 plus play scoring drives against really good teams. I think a lot of that has to do with the maturation and growth of the South offensive line. But, if we have to chase touchdowns like last year against JA, we are in trouble. This is a fascinating matchup and a great culmination to a fascinating and deep region this year.

Side note: This is the first ever matchup between Canton South and Struthers. Actually, it's South's third ever game against a school from the NE8 (last year vs. JA and one game with Niles in the 50's).

Struthers offensive line does not get enough credit. How is Canton South up front on the defensive side of the ball? I’ve heard so much about their offense and little about the defense. Obviously they did well against a high potent West Branch team last week.

It’s no secret what Struthers wants to do. You stop their run game, you win. With that said…

Struthers 28
Canton South 21

Struthers is on a mission. I know Canton South can wing it, but so could Lake Catholic. No, I’m not saying Lake is better than South, but the offenses are similar. Struthers defensive backs did give up some big plays and receivers did have success getting open. Getting pressure on this Canton South QB will be key for the Wildcats.

Good luck to both teams.

Hey yappi, what is the parking like at Tallmadge? Also how big are the stands and is there places to stand and watch the game ?
This is from a previous post but a few pages back now:

Assuming that parking will be the same as the regular season, here is the parking:

1. Main Parking Lot
2. Softball Parking Lot
3. Rec Center (Overflow)
4. Methodist Church (Not sure if they will be allowing parking for playoffs)
H. Handicap Parking

Parking in 1 & 3 and the bottom H, you will be coming in at the South gate at field level
Parking in 2 and the top H, you will come in at the 50 yard line above the home stands.
Parking in 4, depends which way you go. There is a baseball field in the big open field directly between that lot at the football field. Go to the North of the field and you will come in the 50 yard line gate. Go to the Southside, you will come into the South Gate.

View attachment 49727

Struthers fans will be coming in on East Ave. Since they are the visitors, the East Ave entrance is the best option. Canton South Fans will be coming in on Munroe Road. If lots 2 and 4 are open, they will be your best bet as you will come in the gate and walk down the steps to your seats.

The visitor stands aren't real big at Tallmadge. Just depends how many fans Struthers brings. You can see the picture here:

View attachment 49729

Home stands have chairbacks in the yellow sections above. They are very good seats. Tallmadge's stands are very steep on the home side. Good view from high in the stands if you prefer sitting high.

Struthers offensive line does not get enough credit. How is Canton South up front on the defensive side of the ball? I’ve heard so much about their offense and little about the defense. Obviously they did well against a high potent West Branch team last week.

It’s no secret what Struthers wants to do. You stop their run game, you win. With that said…

Struthers 28
Canton South 21

Struthers is on a mission. I know Canton South can wing it, but so could Lake Catholic. No, I’m not saying Lake is better than South, but the offenses are similar. Struthers defensive backs did give up some big plays and receivers did have success getting open. Getting pressure on this Canton South QB will be key for the Wildcats.

Good luck to both teams.
I also like Struthers in a close one but don't underestimate South's ability to play physical upfront. They can and will run the football.

It will be instrumental for South to get ahead on the scoreboard and with possessions. They've taken the wind out of teams this year by scoring before halftime and then again to start the second half. If a team gets down against South, it's very tough to make up ground with their efficient offense. South did a great job of getting ahead against Branch and sucking the life out of the game clock and never let Branch's high powered offense make a run. That has been a huge evolution of the offense in the Dennison-Poochie 3-year run. They've always had the capability to make big plays, but now they are showing the discipline to take what the defense gives, move the chains, and have efficient 10 plus play scoring drives against really good teams. I think a lot of that has to do with the maturation and growth of the South offensive line. But, if we have to chase touchdowns like last year against JA, we are in trouble. This is a fascinating matchup and a great culmination to a fascinating and deep region this year.
CVCA says hello.

This is that Week 5 style matchup all over again. Poochie and the South offensive firepower against a dominant running game.

Now Struthers cannot be overlooked. You make it to the Regional final and you deserve to be there. And … you can win.

But if you want to look for a comparison over the course of the season on the South schedule, this is it.

Back and forth game for a half. South scored on both sides on the half and left CVCA chasing points and possessions.

As many Struthers posters have said all week. Ball control (and I’ll add security) is paramount. And … playing from ahead.

The South defense is greatly improved from the start of the year. That should help them. But they will give up points.

The weather? Rain all day. Clearing right around 7:00. Bring the blankets. 41 at kickoff, but it looks to be dry. It should be a great one.

Last edited:
I’m a little surprised that no one has mentioned it yet…
but wasn’t Dennison at New Philadelphia a few years back when Struthers played them? Week 2 of 2019.
This Struthers team is a lot different than that 2019 team, but a lot of the coaching staff and a lot of the concepts are still there. And there should be some familiarity between Bayuk and Dennison. It does seem like 2023 CS has a lot in common with that 2019 New Phila team.

I’m a little surprised that no one has mentioned it yet…
but wasn’t Dennison at New Philadelphia a few years back when Struthers played them? Week 2 of 2019.
This Struthers team is a lot different than that 2019 team, but a lot of the coaching staff and a lot of the concepts are still there. And there should be some familiarity between Bayuk and Dennison. It does seem like 2023 CS has a lot in common with that 2019 New Phila team.
Yes, they seem like a very similar team with a very similar quarterback I will give the edge to that new Philadelphia team as they beat a lot of good teams that season, and probably that quarterback as well, but yes. Strikingly similar. That’s why I believe this will be a tough game. But not impossible.

I believe coach Dennison said he was retiring and then took the CS job. The NP guys could probably tell you better tho.

That NP team was #1 in the state in d3 then they lost one of the best qbs in the state right before playoffs. Bayuk ran the defense for kuntz that year

also a side note a lot of people are comparing this Struthers team to last years, they’re miles different and a lot better this year. Mainly on the lines

Regular season stats per the Canton Repository:
Rushing:
Snyder - 92 - 1196 yards
Cox- 103 - 681 Yards
Culver - 85 - 486 yards

receiving
Castle - 77 - 1199 yards
Wilson - 36 - 840 yards
Pugh - 43 - 568 yards
You will hear Snyder to Castle alot....Cox is a strong back that just keeps moving the ball and softening the D for a big Poochie run. Pugh gets these crazy big plays out of nowhere.