Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Struthers by 1-8

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Struthers by 9-16

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Struthers by 17+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not to cause a ruckus, but CS has (and has had in years past) transfers from Massillon. Not that it matters, but it is a thing.

More power to 'em. Hope they win.
True but I am guessing the transfers are not the top notch players from Massillon. South has 8 competitive balance numbers. I think that means 4 open enrollees in the school. I know they had some back when Timken closed. Regardless, South is not a mecca for football transfers and I don't believe Struthers is either. Most of the kids taking the field Friday night were in the youth in middle school programs and are home grown.

I was reading the Vindicator this morning and am confused as to why the newspaper keeps saying that Struthers is playing in its first regional title game. "Both schools are seeking their first-ever regional title. In fact, both schools are playing in a regional championship for the first time."

The first part is true. Second isn't. I was at the 1987 game at Stambaugh with Mooney playing Struthers. I could have sworn it was for the D3 Region 9 championship.

Am I wrong here?

You are not wrong. Struthers played for a regional title in 82 also, the first round being the regional title game then. Unfortunately for the Cats they ran into Akron StV-StM and Mr. Stams in 82 & Mooney in 87. Both of those teams went on to win state championships after beating Struthers.

What I noticed against WB is the DE’s from canton south crashed very hard on every play, that was the main reason that the WB didn’t have anywhere to run, they didn’t even care to watch out for the QB run, they won’t be able to do that this week or dukes with have a field day….

On the flip side Struthers secondary played great against LC, but Snyder is way better with his legs, Struthers cannot miss tackles this week and play great red zone defense and keep everything in front of them from the 20-20 and make CS make long sustained drives
They Didn't have to care to watchout for the QB run because our starting quarterback wasn't a runner he was a 6' 6" Pocket passer... Which is another reason why I never understood they didn't put the elusive underclassmen in for a few plays to gash them and make those DE think twice about crashing down so hard... Struthers QB is the complete opposite of ours I would expect a different game plan from Canton South on friday night....

You are not wrong. Struthers played for a regional title in 82 also, the first round being the regional title game then. Unfortunately for the Cats they ran into Akron StV-StM and Mr. Stams in 82 & Mooney in 87. Both of those teams went on to win state championships after beating Struthers.
Elyria Catholic had the "privilege" of losing to both of those teams in the playoffs as well. Stams was a man playing against boys and the 87 Mooney team was a complete, well-run team.

Struthers dominated Lake Catholic on the line of scrimmage. They also played a more physical game overall. Lake does not have a mobile QB and CS obviously does. The difference in this one will be how effective the CS QB play is vs the physical defense of Struthers. I think Struthers wins another close one.

Struthers dominated Lake Catholic on the line of scrimmage. They also played a more physical game overall. Lake does not have a mobile QB and CS obviously does. The difference in this one will be how effective the CS QB play is vs the physical defense of Struthers. I think Struthers wins another close one.
The last 3 weeks of the season have been my favorite for a long time. Used to take in 2 Regional finals & 2 Semis before camping out at the finals. One thing always stands out this time of the year - the more physical team always has the advantage. Always.

The only thing that levels that scale - an elite qb.

REALLY looking forward to this game...

Laugh Plotting GIF by Big Brother

Hearing you guys reminisce about relatives/friends from the past makes me think of my own relatives and good friends who too would enjoy all of this. Sadly, most of them are gone. These are folks who witnessed the Mooney game on a cold, snowy night from YSU (3-21) and a 20-0 loss to SVSM also at YSU. Those teams had some pretty awesome athletes, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.
I still remember my godmother sitting in her special chair in her old house on Frank Street watching the girl's team from Columbus. (I was at the game). She told me she prayed the rosary the entire game. Obviously, it worked.

So many great memories over the years. And what's so amazing about this year is how very far they've come with just our own home-grown talent. They've definitely silenced the doubters. Talk about serious overachievers. :banana:

Regardless of the result Friday, these fine gentlemen will have definitely left their mark in Struthers for years to come.
I never imagined this team doing anything like what they've done. We all should be so very proud of them. I am.

Go Struthers!

.... as an aside, my post ended up #78 which was the year the girls won state.

Bonnie B, the best ever!

Free Throw jump shots 😍

They Didn't have to care to watchout for the QB run because our starting quarterback wasn't a runner he was a 6' 6" Pocket passer... Which is another reason why I never understood they didn't put the elusive underclassmen in for a few plays to gash them and make those DE think twice about crashing down so hard... Struthers QB is the complete opposite of ours I would expect a different game plan from Canton South on friday night....
It really seemed they were preparing Thomas along the season for the inevitable situation everyone worried about . You get to the 3rd round and you can’t out talent most teams anymore so have a backup plan if you have the personnel .

Canton South 35 Struthers 27

I’m an optimist and don’t think the weather will be much of a factor like we’re expecting (both teams are capable of having multiple 100 yard rushers) - I do think time of possession will be key and whoever wins that battle wins the game.

Canton South 35 Struthers 27

I’m an optimist and don’t think the weather will be much of a factor like we’re expecting (both teams are capable of having multiple 100 yard rushers) - I do think time of possession will be key and whoever wins that battle wins the game.
I think it’ll come down to turnovers

Does anyone how many rushing yards Struthers averages a game?? I looked at CS a few weeks ago , they were averaging 206 rushing and 185 passing per game. They had 255 yards rushing Friday night against West Branch. And 172 passing.

Last edited:
I hope the Canton South football team and coaching staff is sleeping on the Wildcats of Struthers as much as their posters are. It’s kind of wild. They are acting like Canton south is some type of juggernaut. They lost in the playoffs last season to Jefferson. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Struthers wins the region.

I hope the Canton South football team and coaching staff is sleeping on the Wildcats of Struthers as much as their posters are. It’s kind of wild. They are acting like Canton south is some type of juggernaut. They lost in the playoffs last season to Jefferson. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Struthers wins the region.
I still like Struthers in a close one. If I didn't see South live against WB I would have picked Struthers by 3 scores. But South is much more physical than I thought so I have it closer. It would be a really good battle up front.

Interview 1:02 today on ESPN 990 and stream on espn990.com:

Canton South
QB Poochie Snyder
Coach Matt Dennison

Not too many years ago , Struthers wouldn’t even have made the playoffs in the 6th spot . Think about a talented team like Struthers sitting at home. South would have been playing the winner of Lake Catholic/ Poland . 16 might be too many but 8 sure isn’t.