Mid-State League ‘22-23

One of the most significant things you can do as a coach is help the community, especially ones in need. The MSL coaches as a whole, in my opinion, show what it means to be a coach outside of basketball.
For sure. You see this a lot in western Ohio (the MAC & the SCAL, the latter is where Russia, Botkins, Houston, Jackson Center and Fort Loramie et al play) and up in NW Ohio at places like Calvert, Kalida and Ottoville. In Central Ohio it’s not as common, especially as it relates to how many schools there are. A few in the OCC do it, the City League (esp. the City League South) does a good job from what I recall, but I don’t think the Ohio or LCL are as steeped in what you’re describing.

Culture matters, and it doesn’t stop at the gym doors. The schools do well in that regard. At last year’s BU game at our house, the two schools collaborated for a charity-related contest at half (can’t remember if it was 3-point or knockout.) In years past there’s been “food (drive) fights” and even Red Cross blood donation contests b/w FC and FCA.

Water cooler time…

Does the dearth of deep football playoff runs over time turn out better prospects for basketball? 🤔

It depends on how many players come over to basketball after football. Chemistry wise, having players practicing together for a couple weeks and getting in sync is beneficial. When a team that’s been practicing for weeks get a new impactful player, it takes time for him to get up to speed. I would say a team with mostly football players that go on a deep playoff run definitely struggles for atleast the first couple weeks of the season compared to teams with a short playoff run. However, by the end of the season, I do not think it matters as much if your team had a deep playoff run or not. Pick Central had a deep playoff run with Sonny Styles and Raheem Biles, and then won the chip.

^Agree with JokesOnYou. Might take a few weeks to get into basketball shape, learn the plays, get chemistry, etc. But usually a long football run means you've got good athletes who know how to win and will figure it out as they go.

HP abandoning “The Cave” moniker on social media in favor of “The Harv?” I personally prefer the former.

I’ll take the points on HP.
Agree with The Cave. Most people still call it “The Cave,” although I know it was supposed to be changed to “David Dennis Court.”

Agree with The Cave. Most people still call it “The Cave,” although I know it was supposed to be changed to “David Dennis Court.”
Just one of those ‘it’s hard to name the court for the guy still in charge of a team who plays on it’ situations, I suspect?

Just one of those ‘it’s hard to name the court for the guy still in charge of a team who plays on it’ situations, I suspect?
Yes and most of the people who have watched Harvest Prep sports for a couple years know it as The Cave and all the history it has given us.

In girls’, tonight
HP 59
FC 38

Wasn’t in the cards for our girls. Hat tip to HP’s team; they’re good. Games like tonight get duplicated and they’ll be a threat for a District Title in D3 this year; possibly even a regional win. Still a lot of hoops to be played.

At least Herschel lost. 🙂

Last edited:
In the MOCAL, Tree of Life smoked Northside Christian. I believe Northside was up at halftime and then Tree just went with relentless pressure and Northside couldn’t handle it.

Super caveat is that Northside did not have Vanderwarker. The flu has been going around lots of schools lately, so maybe that’s why? Assuming he’s back for the rematch and Tree’s transfer can’t play, the second matchup could have a different result. But credit to Tree for taking advantage of an opportunity.

I won’t lie, it is kind of a bummer that the GBK crown isn’t running through the BU/FC series anymore. Or, at least the stakes got cut down a tad.

— — —

OTOH, it does place a bigger premium on the first game between the two.

1670429613806.gif

Last edited:
In the MOCAL, Tree of Life smoked Northside Christian. I believe Northside was up at halftime and then Tree just went with relentless pressure and Northside couldn’t handle it.

Super caveat is that Northside did not have Vanderwarker. The flu has been going around lots of schools lately, so maybe that’s why? Assuming he’s back for the rematch and Tree’s transfer can’t play, the second matchup could have a different result. But credit to Tree for taking advantage of an opportunity.
Was surprised to see the 62-44 for Tree of Life over Northside Christian. But, if Vanderwalker did not play then I can see why Northside Christian lost- he was a difference maker against Grandview Hts. Grandview was having problems rebounding the ball and Vanderwalker had numerous opportunities around the basket and was able to capitalize and lead Northside to a win over Grandview Hts 57-46. Take Vanderwalker out of the mix against GV and GV wins. The guards for Northside played a little out of control and get some charges called against them hurting Northside a bit. With Vanderwalker IMO Northside is a District Championship team in D4 in the Central District.

HPS vs. GCC
Last year's 1st and 2nd place teams are battling at "The Cave," or whatever they call it now. This year, GCC is battling for the second place spot, as Bishop Rosecrans has surged under Hartmann and Labishak. How close(or bad) the score will be an excellent indicator of what both teams will accomplish. For Harvest Prep, limit POY #23 and #5, dominate the boards, and like always, score in transition off turnovers. Offensively, hit opens 3's and feed the post to Nyalle, as GCC is not that big. For GCC, calm down and do not commit unnecessary turnovers. Make sure your defense is sound, and limit HPS to one shot a possession. On offense, let Ransom and Taylor cook, and hit the open 3's. Lastly, depth has to be able to play for at least a couple of minutes without getting dominated, as GCC will get tired from the press.

Prediction
Harvest Prep- 73
GCC- 48

HPS vs. GCC
Last year's 1st and 2nd place teams are battling at "The Cave," or whatever they call it now. This year, GCC is battling for the second place spot, as Bishop Rosecrans has surged under Hartmann and Labishak. How close(or bad) the score will be an excellent indicator of what both teams will accomplish. For Harvest Prep, limit POY #23 and #5, dominate the boards, and like always, score in transition off turnovers. Offensively, hit opens 3's and feed the post to Nyalle, as GCC is not that big. For GCC, calm down and do not commit unnecessary turnovers. Make sure your defense is sound, and limit HPS to one shot a possession. On offense, let Ransom and Taylor cook, and hit the open 3's. Lastly, depth has to be able to play for at least a couple of minutes without getting dominated, as GCC will get tired from the press.

Prediction
Harvest Prep- 73
GCC- 48
I think Rosecrans was a wake-up call for the Eagles. Coming off the run last year, they forgot they had to show up and play. I saw them on Saturday against Miller, yes I know, and they will need the same start. It was 22-0 on 8-8 shooting to start. It could get interesting if they can get off to the kind of start tonight. The concern will be on the interior and if they can rebound.

Based on the scores I've seen, Labishak is the POTY right now. He changed his game, and it is paying off.

Any news on the big at FCA from last year or the QB at Berne? Are either on the floor this season?

I think Rosecrans was a wake-up call for the Eagles. Coming off the run last year, they forgot they had to show up and play. I saw them on Saturday against Miller, yes I know, and they will need the same start. It was 22-0 on 8-8 shooting to start. It could get interesting if they can get off to the kind of start tonight. The concern will be on the interior and if they can rebound.

Based on the scores I've seen, Labishak is the POTY right now. He changed his game, and it is paying off.

Any news on the big at FCA from last year or the QB at Berne? Are either on the floor this season?
The 6ft4 big at FCA is still there. Speaking of FCA, this year they are starting Five seniors.

I think I will get to see Grove City Christian play on Tuesday. I do remember talking at the golf outing about the team still being rather small. I was at last year's Harvest Prep game at Grove City Christian. Those guys have some pretty athletically gifted kids.

North side had a several players out because of being sick
My son goes to that school and yes they have a very good team
Also Vandenwaker had a visit to Ohio state the other night to see a game and meet with Buckeyes coach

Well, I said in the MOCAL none of those bottom tier teams could knock off a top 3 conference team and last night I see Shekinah was very close in their loss Tree of Life 41-40. I guess I know nothing lol.

The MSL/MOCAL Challenge I've heard about should be pretty entertaining I'd think. Wish there would be more matchups between the two conferences.

HPS is playing @ Fisher Catholic tonight

Did you hear what happened in the handshake line? I heard #22 yelling something through the line, and then the coaches started pushing each other back.
No I did not. However, I do know that at the JV game, GCC coach was ejected after arguing with the ref.

HPS is playing @ Fisher Catholic tonight

No I did not. However, I do know that at the JV game, GCC coach was ejected after arguing with the ref.
Weakest ejection of all time. The official didn't turn it in, from what I heard. I probably wouldn't either if I told the crowd to shut the F up!

GCC dominated the Port last night! Came out of the gate on fire, and Ransom got whatever he wanted at the rim. I really enjoyed seeing more ball movement last night and making Millersport guard. They struggled some inside with the big, but MP never got into a consistent offense.

This will never show up in the stats, but my MVP for the Eagles right now is Trent Timlin. How he guarded the best players from other teams last year and this year amazes me. He held Johnson to 8 last night and took 3 charges on him. Held Hartman to 9 a few weeks back. He does so many little things each night.

GCC dominated the Port last night! Came out of the gate on fire, and Ransom got whatever he wanted at the rim. I really enjoyed seeing more ball movement last night and making Millersport guard. They struggled some inside with the big, but MP never got into a consistent offense.

This will never show up in the stats, but my MVP for the Eagles right now is Trent Timlin. How he guarded the best players from other teams last year and this year amazes me. He held Johnson to 8 last night and took 3 charges on him. Held Hartman to 9 a few weeks back. He does so many little things each night.
Ransom is a player. In the first half of the HPS game, he scored or assisted on 11 of their 15 points. Good athlete that can dribble, hit pull-ups, and will give maximum intensity, even when his shots are not falling.