Mid-State League ‘22-23

JokesOnYou

Harvest Prep plays two tough opponents back to back. Taft on Friday and Richmond Heights on Saturday. These two games will be a great indicator on the type of team Harvest Prep will produce. Last years D3 and D4 champs.
HPS vs Taft prediction
HPS 48
Taft 57
HPS vs Richmond Heights Prediction
HPS 58
Richmond Heights 63

The Dock

Some early scores...

Lakewood 43(42?)
Millersport 39 -- apparently Lakewood won on a buzzer beating 3 (???)

New Lexington 62
Berne 22 -- word on the street is NL started the game on a 21-0 run. New Lex can probably win their side of the MVL with who they return and who everyone else graduates, but man a rough opening night nevertheless.

Coachshawnbrown

Some early scores...

Lakewood 43(42?)
Millersport 39 -- apparently Lakewood won on a buzzer beating 3 (???)

New Lexington 62
Berne 22 -- word on the street is NL started the game on a 21-0 run. New Lex can probably win their side of the MVL with who they return and who everyone else graduates, but man a rough opening night nevertheless.
Yes Lakewood won a last second 3 but millersport had ball last possession and took and early shot and gave Lakewood one last chance

Coachshawnbrown

The coaches recruiting him are going to develop an opinion, quick, on how they think he can acclimate to a) the college game, on the court; b) the college game, off the court. And that’s where NCS just doesn’t make sense down the line. To your point on his dad’s involvement (whatever the level that may be) — admirable and meaningful on one hand, but on the other…

If the kid was a 7’ big who could play well, the drawback of 4-years-of-NCS dwindles. 7’ guys with good game? They don’t grow on trees. Supply vs demand. Wings? I don’t doubt the kid can ball, he can. But there’s a lot of wings in the country. And they come from better groundswells, against better competition and come from places that can actually get you ready for college sports at any level.

As hackneyed as it may sound, compare who he’s playing this year to who Jerry Easter and Darryn Peterson are playing this year. I know Easter may be an unfair example, but Emmanuel is playing up in the regular season. CVCA is making it worthwhile for Peterson to play there. It’s just mind-boggling to see this “big fish in a small pond” situation play out, and possibly continue to play out. Where do we see this going?
His evaluation will be determined on the Aau circuit as college coaches don’t determine level watching much HS level games. His level will depend on what position he can guard.

The Dock

Harvest Prep women’s basketball is about a year or two away from being D3 state championship contender. Their middle school 8th grade team dominated the MSL. However, the team probably will finish 3rd behind FC and Berne this year.
Got a rundown on the girls’ game vs BU?

JokesOnYou

Got a rundown on the girls’ game vs BU?
I was not able to be at the game, so I do not know a lot about it. The score was BU 41 HPS 25.

Berne Union- 11, 21, 31, 41
HPS- 8, 14, 14, 25

From what I was told, Berne Union’s height and physical play style wore them down. The teams youth and inexperience also could have played a factor.

The Dock

I was not able to be at the game, so I do not know a lot about it. The score was BU 41 HPS 25.

Berne Union- 11, 21, 31, 41
HPS- 8, 14, 14, 25

From what I was told, Berne Union’s height and physical play style wore them down. The teams youth and inexperience also could have played a factor.
Getting shut out in the 3Q is too tough to overcome against any team, let alone BU. I imagine Kline gave the Lady Warriors some issues — one of the best motors I’ve seen in Cardinal hoops on both sides.

The Dock

GCC @ The Rogge
BU goes to The Cave
FC goes to The Lake
FCA ventures to Hemlock

Ooooh this is going to be an interesting opening night. Torn between watching the boys, or the girls as they take on Amanda.

I’ll take…

BR +5
BU +35
FC -2
FCA -11

JokesOnYou

GCC @ The Rogge
BU goes to The Cave
FC goes to The Lake
FCA ventures to Hemlock

Ooooh this is going to be an interesting opening night. Torn between watching the boys, or the girls as they take on Amanda.

I’ll take…

BR +5
BU +35
FC -2
FCA -11
GCC -5
HPS -35
FC -2
FCA -11

The Dock

Didn’t catch the final, as I left with :30 to go but FC lost by ~12.

MP 19 36 50 ??
FC 10 25 45 ??

Tied at 55’s around 4-5 min mark of 4Q. From that point missed a couple shots, mixed with turnovers and Port reeled off six points through all combinations in the same number of trips the other way.

Not sure if it was so much a “good” game to watch for 32 minutes (it had its moments) but it was a pretty intriguing tell on how that 4-6th flight of the Cardinal will play out. Port’s pretty threadbarren on depth (their sixth man might have played 7 quarters…?) but Big Mike got his and so did the Laker backcourt.

This is the skinniest FC team in probably school history (possibly even skinnier than the team Paul Albanese had for ‘16-17 after the Brady/Burley/Muckensturm graduations) and it’s not a very tall team. Port’s going to be one of the beefier teams in the league even without Levacy on the wood. I don’t think Port necessarily out-muscled downlow; it’s just a lot of unfamiliarity and lack of experience with five normally-perimeter guys trying to learn the technical stuff (and ball-flow, next move) of what runs through and around the block. Especially in transition (although that improved in the third quarter.)

— — —

I don’t really have a firm read on what this team is, or can be. In the first half you could tell it’s a team that just didn’t have its feet underneath them in the worst way, and part of it is mental / lack of confidence. Some breakdowns offensively, guys not moving and not making an outlet pass get together — it was frustrating; so was some early miscommunication on defense. They started to gel a little more in the second half, got into some rhythm.

I think in the best of situations this is a team that has a true core of four guys, where the fifth player (committee of four?) has a defined role. Role definition is going to make or break this team, I feel. Four pretty solid players that work in the system — three know their role and what’s expected, the fourth has pretty intriguing game and can give most of the league some fits… but he’s gotta learn a role. He may want to be an Alpha or a Russell Westbrook, but really he’s not cut out for it (FC isn’t a program, for various reasons, where one would be necessary or even wanted) for reasons not the least of which being it’s not his team (he just happens to be a part of the team.) His teammates picked him up tonight and got his mind right, and that speaks to the quality of his teammates as well as him for showing growth.

DCCXL

I think in the best of situations this is a team that has a true core of four guys, where the fifth player (committee of four?) has a defined role. Role definition is going to make or break this team, I feel. Four pretty solid players that work in the system — three know their role and what’s expected, the fourth has pretty intriguing game and can give most of the league some fits… but he’s gotta learn a role. He may want to be an Alpha or a Russell Westbrook, but really he’s not cut out for it (FC isn’t a program, for various reasons, where one would be necessary or even wanted) for reasons not the least of which being it’s not his team (he just happens to be a part of the team.) His teammates picked him up tonight and got his mind right, and that speaks to the quality of his teammates as well as him for showing growth.
Don’t sugarcoat what you saw. The kid is going to upset a ton of FC people if he doesn’t wise up. The school administration needs to tell the staff and the kid that it ends now or they’re done. Plain and simple.

The Dock

Don’t sugarcoat what you saw. The kid is going to upset a ton of FC people if he doesn’t wise up. The school administration needs to tell the staff and the kid that it ends now or they’re done. Plain and simple.
There's a smart approach toward getting it fixed -- the coaches impress to the kid what the lay of the land is at Fisher and the MSL. There's going to be teams where all five players are better than him, as well better than his team's best player: those teams aren't going to go out of their way to frustrate him beyond just balling on him on both ends. So don't get flustered, and stay cool. There's going to be kids who play for bad teams however that will try to frustrate him with or without being better ballplayers than him, or his team's best player: don't get sucked in to something stupid, don't react and just play your role. There's going to be raucous environments: remain cool, and let smart play (that accentuates your talent) speak for itself. Forget about all the unnecessary crap or obstacles that stand in the way of your team winning -- that 'ish isn't important. He plays for a far better team (more talent and ball skills, with better camaraderie), with a far better culture than what he's used to; also playing against generally better competition and in a tighter league.

But like you're alluding to, he also happens to play for a school-community that places a premium on player deportment -- and its emphasized highly-enough that they're not going to sacrifice that standard in the pursuit of wins or contributions toward the winning effort. Lay of the land...

Coachshawnbrown

There's a smart approach toward getting it fixed -- the coaches impress to the kid what the lay of the land is at Fisher and the MSL. There's going to be teams where all five players are better than him, as well better than his team's best player: those teams aren't going to go out of their way to frustrate him beyond just balling on him on both ends. So don't get flustered, and stay cool. There's going to be kids who play for bad teams however that will try to frustrate him with or without being better ballplayers than him, or his team's best player: don't get sucked in to something stupid, don't react and just play your role. There's going to be raucous environments: remain cool, and let smart play (that accentuates your talent) speak for itself. Forget about all the unnecessary crap or obstacles that stand in the way of your team winning -- that 'ish isn't important. He plays for a far better team (more talent and ball skills, with better camaraderie), with a far better culture than what he's used to; also playing against generally better competition and in a tighter league.

But like you're alluding to, he also happens to play for a school-community that places a premium on player deportment -- and its emphasized highly-enough that they're not going to sacrifice that standard in the pursuit of wins or contributions toward the winning effort. Lay of the land...

Coachshawnbrown

Appreciate the arm chair quarterbacks opinions but a group of jv players playing together for first time in a varsity game against a senior driven team that’s strong with size I think they grew up fast and showed they will be a force as the season moves along. We outplayed them in every stat minus rebounding which gave them 17 additional shots otherwise fisher wins by 10. Don’t forget these are young kids in HS not college players.
Every kid on that roster is valued and wanted by this staff and community.

no talk about holding two of the better shooting guards in the league to 1 triple each and team to 16%.

im proud of our boys and they will mature and be a team you won’t wan to to play come tournament time

The Dock

Appreciate the arm chair quarterbacks opinions but a group of jv players playing together for first time in a varsity game against a senior driven team that’s strong with size I think they grew up fast and showed they will be a force as the season moves along. We outplayed them in every stat minus rebounding which gave them 17 additional shots otherwise fisher wins by 10. Don’t forget these are young kids in HS not college players.
Every kid on that roster is valued and wanted by this staff and community.

no talk about holding two of the better shooting guards in the league to 1 triple each and team to 16%.

im proud of our boys and they will mature and be a team you won’t wan to to play come tournament time
It's possible to say more by saying less.

JokesOnYou

Game overview
HP-29, 47,69, 78
FCA-12, 25, 32, 45
Halftime Review
The game has been exciting so far. While Harvest Prep is up 22, FCA has fought hard and made several difficult shots. The main success for Harvest Prep has been overwhelming the FCA main ball handlers and offensive rebounds. FCA is a good 3 point shooting team, and #4 has done well attacking the paint.
On another note, FCA has the best or 2nd best announcer. Absolute amazing job.
Final Review
Props to Fairfield Christian for playing hard till the end. They are a good team, but just couldn’t handle the pressure from Harvest Prep, especially in the 3rd. Harvest Prep played well and the 2nd group did not slow down their attack.

Last edited:

The Dock

FC: 4 20 12 12 — 48
BR: 18 16 18 27 — 79

I’m actually way more pleased with what I saw tonight than vs Millersport. Only main issue for us tonight was we couldn’t buy a bucket. Started 2-0 us, 15-0 run for Rosecrans, a bucket and a buzzer-beating three. Poor shooting wasn’t a matter of poor shot selection, just the ball not falling. ‘Crans had a little bit of the same very early on but they got hot.

Three main things on this game: 1) Rosecrans way more experienced, with that experience comes more balanced scoring with stepped-up offensive output out of Bernath & Hartman and the two dudes down low in Daniels and Jackson (either of them are on the court the entire time.) It’s not so much the inexperience for us being detrimental, it’s just what Rosecrans has — superior skills, very strong floor IQ and multiple years of playing Todd Rock basketball. 2) Labishak was good last year. He’s become a dawg this year. He might have finished with 30+(?) 3) Big boys who can work technical down low will give us fits. I’m not too worried about that aside from when we run it back at The Rogge and play FCA. Port, maybe.

Should note we had some of our typical subs get a ton quality floor minutes with one of the starters having to exit the game ~3 minutes into the 1Q with a face injury and not making it back in. I’ll be interested to see where we’re at a few games from now. They made some strides tonight, score aside.

Last edited:

The Dock

On another note, FCA has the best or 2nd best announcer. Absolute amazing job.
He’s an even better person!

— — —

In the same vein… a special acknowledgment to Coach Rock. For ~30 years, Rosecrans has hosted “Christmas on the Hill.” The event operates in the fashion of the school’s students adopting the Christmas wishlists of children in Zanesville and Muskingum County. When Christmastime comes around, the children get to see Santa fulfill their wishes and become the new owners of their desired toys & other holiday wants.

One of Rock’s previous assistants, Robert Hagy, helped get the tradition started way back (IIRC what Rock had said.) He’s an assistant on this year’s staff at FC. Coach Hagy’s older daughter went to Rosecrans, but his two younger kids are at FC. Before tipoff, a very good and significant gesture was undertaken by Rock: a recognition of Coach Hagy and his role in the Christmas on the Hill tradition, and a check on behalf of the Rosecrans community given to FC as we are replicating the tradition ourselves starting this year. Thanks, a ton!

Last edited:

JokesOnYou

One of the most significant things you can do as a coach is help the community, especially ones in need. The MSL coaches as a whole, in my opinion, show what it means to be a coach outside of basketball.

The Dock

Labishak should be the early MSL player POTY front runner. 24 against GCC and now this.
He had an easy lay-up opportunity on a fast break around the 20-point margin mark of the early 4th, and either tried to kick it out or got too fancy & turned it over. Brought out a good Rock-ism: “Grady! You had two points right there. Use your head! 😡” Kid took it in stride and gave a good, silent acknowledgment to No Lead Makes You Safe.

Always enjoy seeing the legend guys who have coached across generations having that two-way level of rapport with a talented, solid kid.