Greater Cleveland Conference (2023)

Who wins the Greater Cleveland Conference?

• Brunswick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleveland Heights

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Euclid

• Medina

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Mentor

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Shaker Heights

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Solon

• Strongsville

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
I guess it’s safe to say the enthusiasm and excitement The Cleveland Heights Tigers and Coach Mac are feeling right now with the season starting up in about two weeks competing in the always tough GCC league after I was watching a little bit of the two a day practices the other day. Heights will visit Massillon perry at 12 noon this Saturday and the following Friday visit Akron Buchtel at 4:30 PM for their only two scrimmages before the season. Looking forward to a very exciting and competitive season and the GCC wishing all teams, good luck and a injury free season.

Heights mentality

1691003166262.png

Strongsville looking to put respect back in their name, I wouldn’t look past the Mustangs.

Anybody have scrimmage updates?

The only thing I saw was the video from Cleveland.com from Mentor-Kenston-Fitch that showed Mentor scoring on a couple long passing TDs against Fitch.

Then a video from Strongsville-North Ridgeville that showed Strongsville QB Nolan Beard throwing 4 TDs (40, 5, 10, 1 yards ... the one yarder looks like it may have been right after a 25 yarder that got them on the goal line). All of it appeared to be controlled action.

But have no context on either, just the clips.

This was a recap from a poster on Federal league football during the Cleveland Heights at Massillon Perry Scrimmage.

My recap of Perry’s scrimmage with Cleveland Heights. IMO, defenses dominated, although Heights moved the ball better on several longer running plays of 25-35 yards. Their first unit scored once and Perry’s did not. One of the bigger and quickest defenses I’ve seen in years. Not to mention they told Perry they were going to play a certain defense, but played something different and were sending LB’s and a safety or corner every down. Something difficult for linemen to pick up in a first scrimmage. Perry got to their 32 yard line on a nice 35 yard pass from Mattox to Walker, but could not punch it in. Perry intercepted a couple passes and forced a fumble on a screen pass they ran. Unfortunately the Panthers sustained two injuries. One to a starter that I won’t elaborate on until I find out more information. Heights backups scored and so did Perry’s on a nice 43 yard run.
Overall, I‘d give the Panthers defense a B and the offense a C, but under those circumstances it was difficult to move the ball.

This was a recap from a poster on Federal league football during the Cleveland Heights at Massillon Perry Scrimmage.

My recap of Perry’s scrimmage with Cleveland Heights. IMO, defenses dominated, although Heights moved the ball better on several longer running plays of 25-35 yards. Their first unit scored once and Perry’s did not. One of the bigger and quickest defenses I’ve seen in years. Not to mention they told Perry they were going to play a certain defense, but played something different and were sending LB’s and a safety or corner every down. Something difficult for linemen to pick up in a first scrimmage. Perry got to their 32 yard line on a nice 35 yard pass from Mattox to Walker, but could not punch it in. Perry intercepted a couple passes and forced a fumble on a screen pass they ran. Unfortunately the Panthers sustained two injuries. One to a starter that I won’t elaborate on until I find out more information. Heights backups scored and so did Perry’s on a nice 43 yard run.
Overall, I‘d give the Panthers defense a B and the offense a C, but under those circumstances it was difficult to move the ball.

I see the top four like this
1. Medina
2. Cleveland Heights
3. Strongsville
4. Mentor
-Medina has one of the top QB’s in Ohio and a group of very good WR’s. They have become what Mentor used to be.
-Cleveland Heights will punish you with their run game. They are also solid on defense.
-Strongsville is vastly improved. They will be a pain to most teams. Must see tv Medina vs Strongsville.
-Mentor has slipped greatly. They have great QB but no run game. Defensively, well its Mentor. They lost a ton last year and will likely be in need of help upfront. I see a 5-6 win regular season and an early playoff exit.

Some good QB’s in the GCC this year led by Medina’s Stoddard, Mentor’s Fox, and Strongsville’s Beard.
Having good players in this league will benefit all of the teams and the fans who go to the games. Praying that these talented young men all stay healthy.

Anymore updates?

Saw in the scrimmage update thread that Brunswick beat Wadsworth 15-14. If that was the varsity portion, a solid showing by the Blue Devils since people seem to be pretty high on Wadsworth.

I haven't heard anything from Medina-Westerville Central or Strongsville-Elyria, other than Strongsville beat Elyria, but not sure if that was varsity only.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of Mentor-Chardon updates but what about the other eastside teams?

Anymore updates?

Saw in the scrimmage update thread that Brunswick beat Wadsworth 15-14. If that was the varsity portion, a solid showing by the Blue Devils since people seem to be pretty high on Wadsworth.

I haven't heard anything from Medina-Westerville Central or Strongsville-Elyria, other than Strongsville beat Elyria, but not sure if that was varsity only.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of Mentor-Chardon updates but what about the other eastside teams?
Heights scrimmages against Buchtel this afternoon.
Buchtel usually has a pretty competitive team, so should be a valuable scrimmage for both teams.

Chardon 21 Mentor 14

The strongest part of Mentor today was the play of the receivers. Lots of new starters out there in key positions on both sides of the ball.

Anybody have scrimmage updates?

The only thing I saw was the video from Cleveland.com from Mentor-Kenston-Fitch that showed Mentor scoring on a couple long passing TDs against Fitch.

Then a video from Strongsville-North Ridgeville that showed Strongsville QB Nolan Beard throwing 4 TDs (40, 5, 10, 1 yards ... the one yarder looks like it may have been right after a 25 yarder that got them on the goal line). All of it appeared to be controlled action.

But have no context on either, just the clips.
North Ridgeville Scored 6 TDs in 30 plays on Strongsville. Beard balled out but Strongsville also had under 10 yards rushing probably

North Ridgeville Scored 6 TDs in 30 plays on Strongsville. Beard balled out but Strongsville also had under 10 yards rushing probably
Yeah, I didn't know the context only saw the clips of Beard. Is North Ridgeville supposed to be up or down this year?

Looks like they were decent but way behind the top of the SWC last year.

My Week 1 predictions. Looks like it could be a tough start overall for GCC teams.

Medina/Olentangy: I'm taking Medina but Olentangy has a Penn State QB and looks like a team that can make some noise in R2 so should be a close game.

Mentor/Jackson: Mentor should win comfortably, but Jackson is usually solid so don't think it will be a running clock. More a 2-3 score game.

Cleveland Heights/Berea-Midpark: everything I've heard on are that expectations are high on both sides. Heights should win but another one I don't see being a blowout.

Strongsville/Avon Lake: I can't imagine this being another blowout like last year, but I don’t think Strongsville closed the gap enough to win. I think they keep it close but AL pulls away for a two score win.

Brunswick/Avon: Brunswick's performance against Wadsworth opened my eyes a bit that the Blue Devils are probably better than I expected heading into the season, but Avon is on another level compared to any other west side public not named Medina. If Brunswick keeps it within 20, I'd view it as a slight moral victory.

Solon/Olmsted Falls: another SWC vs. GCC matchup. Don't know much about either but I'll go with Olmsted Falls since they run a tough offense to prepare for in a Week 1 game.

Shaker Heights/Willoughby South: again, don't know much about either. This may be a game Shaker can win, but I have to take South.

Euclid/Austintown-Fitch: This one could get ugly. Fitch will roll Euclid.

3-5 wouldn't be a great start but 4 of the 8 are against probably the 4 best SWC teams in what looks to be a strong year at the top of that league. There isn't much expectations with Solon, Shaker and Euclid so losses there are to be expected most weeks.

Mentor should win this week but likely coming out of first five games at 2-3 or 1-4. If they struggled with two division three schools in pre season, I don’t see much hope for a run in playoffs. Next year though, they will be state contenders.

Mentor should win this week but likely coming out of first five games at 2-3 or 1-4. If they struggled with two division three schools in pre season, I don’t see much hope for a run in playoffs. Next year though, they will be state contenders.
How did Mentor struggle against Kenston and Fitch?

If Cleveland Heights stays healthy they very well might be the second best team in the Region and the top team in the GCC. I think QB could be a question mark from what I hear coming out of the scrimmages - but expect the stud RB to get a lot more then the 8 carries he averaged last year. The RB will carry them and open the passing game for the young QB.

If Cleveland Heights stays healthy they very well might be the second best team in the Region and the top team in the GCC. I think QB could be a question mark from what I hear coming out of the scrimmages - but expect the stud RB to get a lot more then the 8 carries he averaged last year. The RB will carry them and open the passing game for the young QB.
Heights the type of team that just looks the part as soon as they hop off the bus they really might be able to physically impose their will on everybody else outside of Eds but well see. Will be very interesting to see who handles the contrasting styles better when they play Medina/Mentor